Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't know why you would want fallout 4: new Vegas. The mod will just be a remake of vanilla Vegas, and half the fun if NV is modding it to hell and back.

New Vegas with F4 gameplay improvements would be worth a ton of mods on its own. There's only so much improving you can even do to New Vegas because of how Crappy the engine is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

dont be mean to me posted:

Where did I claim amnesia? Where did I even bring up amnesia?

Nobody's disputing that the Courier didn't remember they took a robot into town and then the robot made the town blow up. Of course they did.

The dispute is that either A) the Courier knew that the robot would make the town blow up, or that B) the Courier SHOULD have known that the robot would make the town blow up, or that C) the Courier could not possibly have known that the robot would make the town blow up but deserves to die regardless.

Hell even Ulysses doesn't think you deserve to die for it. Not until he's successfully rubbed your face in it anyway. Also he didn't carry water for Caesar so much as being enslaved by him

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The first thing you do in the game is tell a guy your name and discuss your medical history, and the player already knows where the package was going to be delivered because you have the delivery order in your inventory

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Yeah because you're creating the character

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Leroy Dennui posted:

From what I can recall, Necropolis is the only one that has this implemented, and even then you can avoid it by never returning there after retrieving the Water Chip, which sucks since you don't get to see Set's elated response to the Master's death unless you do things wildly out of order. Places like Junktown and the BoS have existing "razed by mutants" maps, but they aren't programmed to ever show up.

Razor's gang is bugged to have them often say "Razor got killed by the regulators" after helping them, even though she'll be standing there alive and ready to reward you. I think I even once finished the quest and returned to the map to see her only to find a pair of pants standing erect.

The Hub will disperse no matter what happens in your game.

The Followers are bugged to always be wiped out as well :(

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Freaking Crumbum posted:

honestly, I was really hoping that the whole "where is SHAAAAAAWN" plot of FO4 would turn out that both the protagonist's son and the people that kidnapped him have been dead and gone for years by the time the protagonist actually thaws out, and all of the protagonist's strife and internal conflict was for nothing. the end - no moral!

You kind of get that, I mean what kind of bonding can you realistically do with Shaun in the state you find him. I like the game's big message being that there's no such thing as the status quo and everything can change in an instant, something I'm preoccupied with a lot due to the terrifying unpredictability of my standard-working-class-American daily life, even as I can't stand the actual story itself

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Lonesome Road is the only DLC I didn't play and I'm kind of glad I didn't if it tries to force a specific backstory on you.

[...]

All the game really tells you is that you're a courier who accepted a job.

That's all Lonesome Road tells you too

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Imagine "whether or not the video game man has sex" being anywhere even remotely near your radar as far as things to care about

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Last time I played Alpha Protocol I tried to get the achievement for not doing any romances in a playthrough, and then right at the end my wife made me have sex with SIE

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The writing in that game didn't really do anything for me; New Vegas already gave me my fill of mud farmers asking me to kill a monster as they're tugged to and fro by The Powers That Be, and I'd mostly much rather have the heightened emotions and melodrama of a Nier Automata or Yakuza 0. Great visuals and atmosphere tho

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

They could just run the same voice through filters depending on your race

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

That was probably a glitch. Mean Sonofabitch just has part of his tongue missing, which is the voice actor and not a filter. It's like how the Powder Ganger who won the lottery always has a "Goodbye" line from a completely different actor.

I think one of the Brotherhood scribes got his goodbye line. There's this nerdy bald guy with glasses and when you say goodbye to him he goes "Llllater :twisted:"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

And let's not forget the Brotherhood paladin who contacts you through ED-E and for exactly one line his American accent becomes Hispanic and noticeably lower quality

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I've heard Automatron is good, and a robot companions is something I would actually be into crafting

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The main quest ends with a big battle like 3 and New Vegas; for that you need someone who you can say "ok let's have the big battle now" to

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I actually don't know why they bothered making it impossible to break the main quest, since after it you just continue playing as normal and all you get from it is some faction based loot

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I started just running backwards from Lanius in the final battle so Cannibal Johnson would run right into him and get cut up. Sorry Cannibal, but I don't want you ruining my slideshow

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Yandat posted:

the entire beginning of this game makes no sense, i worry i'm being a weird pedant unable to suspend my disbelief about a videogame with giant cockroaches but for real what is this

Its chill to remember just how insane the beginning of Fallout 4 is

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm starting a playthrough of KOTOR 2 to see what influences it had on Obsidian's New Vegas development. I haven't given it a full playthrough in years, so I think now is the time.

I don't think it would have had much influence really, except as a stark reminder to budget resources carefully and cut ruthlessly when necessary. There's definitely some resemblances to the DLCs written by Chris Avellone of course, like a bunch of people who don't like each other being forced together, a focus on sites of great destruction long after the destruction itself has taken place, and villains who don't find it in their own best interests to speak clearly to you. I think K2's crafting system was based on breaking items down to roll materials, which is basically what the vending machines in dead money do as well- also Prey from last year

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

KOTOR2's big twist was no slouch at the time either. I mean since then a bunch of games have done "all the video game mechanics stuff like experience points were ACTUALLY HAPPENING IN THE STORY" but it was a bit of a trip for me at the time

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Because the Force can't act through you you're also immune to "destiny" though of course the Force can still act on you through people, like your companions and Kreia

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Contreras and Arcade both have quests that require you to go there, there's also a super mutant whose voice actor wasn't told the character's tongue had been cut out and two guys who sell children to cannibal paedophiles, and nobody much minds if you slice them up with an axe

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

The insitute would have made more sense if Father was an AI trying to "perfect" humanity and everyone in the labs was a super smart version of a super mutant and all super mutants on the surface were dumb rejects. Sean could be already dead from time lapse or kept in a suspension tube, thawed out for experiments and driven mad from a lifetime of scifi nightmares.

I wonder if they originally had the Insitute be run by an AI, it would be a fun twist and fairly Fallouty. I kind of think they started the story by basically going "why would anyone side with the institute if they're nuts" and someone else saying "what if you have an emotional attachment to someone there" and the plot as it is grew out of that

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

MikeJF posted:

I never played the NV DLCs and I probably should install the GOTY and do it. Is there a good, like, easy-to-use ultimate bugfix, looks and gameplay mod compilation or listing? Not looking for super gameplay changeups like survival, though.

YUP fixes tons of bugs, JSawyer makes a bunch of mechanical changes and was made by the game's director so it's basically a free DLC, Project Nevada lets you fiddle with a bunch of settings and adds a sprint button. There's also a loot menu mod that ports Fallout 4's realtime looting mechanic into NV, which is very nice. For content, the New Vegas Uncut mods are pretty much essential, and some helpful soul on the NV Nexus collected them all into one file called something like NEW VEGAS UNCUT 1-2-3-4-5-7

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I ironically enjoy the way they twisted the story to breaking point so your son is an old man but the guy who murdered your wife doesn't even grow a moustache in 60 years. Like it's not even important to the story that Kellogg is alive when you find him, you literally progress the main quest by looting his corpse, why did they make him some kind of cybernetically enhanced immortal

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

To be fair, everyone and their dog had called "the player character is a synth" as a twist back in 2008. I watched a youtube of the Dima conversation and it seemed like a decent way to bring up the possibility while not making a statement one way or the other

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Man that was the best music. The other Fallout wiki on gamepedia insists that track has a chance of playing around the wrecked highwayman in New Vegas, but it never did for me

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The opening half-hour or so of Fallout 4 is all the evidence I need that the writers are not half-assing it, they're just psychotic

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Are the NCR and Ceasar's Legion even referenced in Fallout 4?

Its weird to me that this game that's thick with references to Fallout 3, and even goes on to reference the original games via Kellogg, doesn't include any mention of the pre-war consumables and magazines introduced in New Vegas, and in some cases introduces some new drug or something that does exactly the same thing as an NV item. It really makes me think none of the developers played New Vegas, or are somehow convinced nobody liked it and would prefer to pretend it never happened

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Or at least, Max helps people and is lucky to escape with his life

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

Fallout 4 cut out all the roleplaying to focus on gunplay yet they didn't make the gunplay all that good. Game is pointless and I hate it.

This is a gross misrepresentation of Bethesda's attitude to the series. They did not cut out all the roleplaying to focus on gunplay. They cut out all the roleplaying to focus on a fully-voiced main character.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It's fun to do a Legion run if only for the endgame quests. Killing the president is fun (IN THIS FICTIONAL VIDEO GAME) and you get some cool dialogue with Lanius at the end. Of course the game doesn't really expect you to side with the Legion, to the point that even if you finish Lonesome Road with high Legion rep Ulysses will tell you how to defeat Lanius, because obviously you're not going to be joining him

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

That ending and Boone's Legion ending are both incredibly badass:

Both of Boone's legion endings are so badass it's almost worth doing a Legion run just for that

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

For a little context, Sawyer is very much a "death of the author" guy and refuses to do anything like declare which ending he considers canon in New Vegas. He did a tumblr post about it (https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/162379514256/im-a-big-fan-of-new-vegas-and-i-enjoy-discussing) and has never even hinted what Joshua Graham says to Salt-Upon-Wounds at the end of Honest Hearts. So if this guy says Tabitha is definitely a woman, he must really mean it

E: "these crazy critters think they're women" is kind of accurate though, super mutants are clearly all coded as gigantic muscly men(Fallout 1 established that there are female super mutants so it's not that they don't have gender, just that the signifiers are mutated out to the point that you can probably only tell if a super mutant is male or female if they're fully naked) and the clothing choices of Tabitha and Lily don't represent their femininity so much as their reluctance to let go of their old identities.

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 4, 2018

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

F1 makes reference to events from WL1

~shared post-apocalyptic universes~

It was cute how F1 mentioned the Rangers from Wasteland, then F2 had its own group of Rangers, then New Vegas lore had both groups meeting and the Nevada Rangers getting absorbed into NCR

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

There's a boxing sidequest in Fallout 2 that culminates in a Mike Tyson joke, torn ear and all.

I think most peoples' problem wrt synths comes from the Institute having no reason to snatcher surface dwellers constantly, especially if they really think that the commonwealth will evebtually die out. It also leaves an unexplored wrinkle in the whole Synth Slavery theme when every non-courser synth has directly killed the original person with their own hands.

Who's to say such a culture wont develop in the future? We're talking about walking computers capable of hard commands, trading data (and by extension memories), mechanical repairs (as you see in the institute when they're working on a gen 3 synth), and likely are capable of cloning themselves due to their mental accessibility; there's already a companion you turn from robot to synth, there's nothing stating that the reverse cant happen.

If we take the whole abolitionist theme to its natural conclusion, there will be ostracizement from humab society, and there's far more than just color to differentiate synths, let alone influence a developed culture. The only proof we have that this couldnt/wont happen is the fact that synths act like humans, when directly ordered to imitate humans.

Uh. Excuse me. You are playing a Bethesda game. Synths are robot people.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Nckdictator posted:

Replaying 4 with mods for the first time and for all my complaints about the game I really think the “escape from Vault 111” sequence is really well done in setting up how utterly alien the world must seem to the SS.

Of course this all goes out the window a few minutes later when you go to Lexington.
kind of goes out the window when you see the cryolator on the way out of the vault and your character passes comment on it

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It's so epic that they don't let you choose your gender until after the intro, which is narrated by the male player character

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

It's not transformative because they aren't redistributing the files at all. Bethesda are just crushing this illegally because they have money and are bitches

I figure Bethesda is probably considering an HD version of Fallout 3, and don't want to be competing with a mod. Of course if that were the case they wouldn't have said boo about the New Vegas one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

New Vegas is kind of the aberration in that it has an ungodly amount of every weapon type (including my favorite, unarmed). Take that out and it's a pretty linear progression from F1->F4 in terms of variety, just the jump from F3 alone is pretty significant especially when you account for all the 'unique' weapons in F3 that were just the normal weapon model with a higher damage value and a different name.

I feel sure F2 has more weapons than 3 or 4, but it's a good while now since I played either