Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't know why you would want fallout 4: new Vegas. The mod will just be a remake of vanilla Vegas, and half the fun if NV is modding it to hell and back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

2house2fly posted:

New Vegas with F4 gameplay improvements would be worth a ton of mods on its own. There's only so much improving you can even do to New Vegas because of how Crappy the engine is

I'm still waiting on Xilandro to finish B42.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Your loss. It is unplayable now without some baseline mods to fix stability issues, but once those are installed you can pretty much go hog wild.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gynovore posted:

Odd, I bought FNV about a year after release and never had stability issues. Has it gotten worse?

Certain versions of Windows 8 and 10 simply will not play new Vegas without the anti-crash mod installed. After that you'd want the 4gb patcher and ENBoost to counteract the memory leak bug. Beyond that you can sidestep the auto save bug using CASM and punch down microstutter with the stutter remover mod.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

dont be mean to me posted:

Does ENBoost actually, demonstrably help with anything, let alone help enough to justify plugging the work of a gay-basher who's still pissed about having to move off of Windows XP?

Enboost basically creates a paged memory system for new vegas. Often even with the 4gb patch you will get an "out of memory" crash. Using Enboost it will stop this by allocating more memory as needed. It won't let new Vegas use more than 4gb but it will plug the memory leak.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Southpaugh posted:

Super mutants had a good storyline in Fallout and a very good one in two as they deal with just being a different kind of maligned human (that is slowly dying out). They actually have themes! Thats good for a game from 1998!

And by the time of New Vegas even that way of life is being pushed out as the NCR doesn't tolerate mutants, forcing the surviving ones to find a way to live amongst themselves in isolation. And on top of that they also need to deal with tending to their retarded brethren that the Enclave cooked up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Wolfsheim posted:

How is 'nameless courier who delivered packages for a few years' any different from 'nameless tribal'? They both have just as much backstory, possibly more in F2's case because you actually end up interacting with some of your family members (your whiny cousin, your bitchy aunt, etc).

Because the chosen one never left arroyo before their quest. The courier has been at their job for a long time already and they have traveled a very long way. They've been to Utah before the 80s and White Legs tribes moved in, and they've been at least as far northeast as Montana.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bethesda really only is as popular and forgivable for the state of their games because they have no real competition in their particular corner of open world games. But that is changing, particularly with The Witcher series offering an alternative to the elder scrolls style of open world game design.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Also the entire DLC gives you the chance to tell Ulysses that he is full of poo poo at every single conversation you have with him.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Samuel Clemens posted:

Are you talking about the Nightkin? Those aren't Enclave creations, they were in the original Fallout.

No, the Nightkin are smart. I'm talking about the dum dums who were made by accident when the Enclave had wastelanders cleaning up the FEV spills at Mariposa.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Make a game based around the Circle of Steel, where you are a deep cover brotherhood internal affairs agent sent to discover what the Midwest chapter has been up to after going dark for several years.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gort posted:

I do hope they do a voiced protagonist for the next Bethesda game. I much preferred Geralt, Hawke and Commander Shepard to the silent nobodies I played in Dragon Age 1 and Skyrim. I also much prefer playing a specific character with a name and a place in the world to the blandness you end up with if you allow maximum customisation of the main character.

I recognise that it's a choice that doesn't have one correct answer - a silent protagonist can have a lot more dialogue choices, has no risk of having a bad voice, and the money that would've gone into giving them voice acting can be spent elsewhere in development. Having a fully-customisable main character is good for replayability, and you have less risk of the developers making you play someone unlikable.

I'd prefer to play someone specific with voice-acting though.

Geralt only works as well as he does due to having seven books worth of backstory for the developers to mine from when establishing his character for the games, and even then a large number of people don't like him because they go into an open world RPG expecting to be able to play as their personal waifu/power fantasy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The only way that a voiced protagonist can work is if you have a set personality for them to begin with and then base the choices presented around ways on which that character could conceivably act. Human Revolution is pretty good about this with Adam Jensen, but Alpha Protocol probably does it best, since you are only given varying shades of rear end in a top hat to play around with.
That's why Mass effect's roleplaying never really worked for me because it is impossible to believe that Shepard can go from angel saint to psychopath and expect me to think that is consistent.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
New Vegas uncut also recently had a compilation patch made so you only need to download one instead of several and cut down on your plugin count.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The most telling thing about Bethesda's storytelling is the utter lack of coordination between their various writers. There can be individual areas where the storytelling is really good but there is almost no consistency between regions because nobody wants to step on someone else's toes. Frankly I'm amazed that there is any level of interconnectivity between the Raider camps in FO4.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like the blacksmith in whiterun because she obviously had only one take to say Eorlund Graymane.
"I'm not the best blacksmith in whiterun, EORLUND GRAYMANE'S got that honor. "
"I just can't fill an order that size! Why don't you swallow that stubborn pride and ask EORLUND GRAYMANE for help?"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Liquid Communism posted:

I'd really like to see Fallout go back to being larger scale. Something like FO: South Texas would be pretty cool, though. The Houston/Austin/San Antonio triangle with a shitload of empty wasteland between has good chances to make things really thematic.

You really want to see more Bethesda "cities"?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What was the city in van Buren that was supposed to be a bunch of bridged skyscrapers above a radioactive cloud?

If they decide to go back to open world wilderness I'd love to see the next fallout take some cues from Witcher 3 and Mad Max 2015's level design. Vast but not too vast and with a means of traversing it quickly to pass over the boring spots while maintaining an expansive scope.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If you treat the entire "Vegas" area, including North Vegas Square, East Vegas farmland, Westside and Freeside and the Strip as one entity, it does feel like it has a decent scale. Centralized rich zones surrounded by increasing poverty the further you spread out from the Strip.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Someone should make a mod called Wasteland Cleaner, where, armed with a broom, a dustpan and a box of abraxo cleaner, one person will change the hygiene of a nation forever.

It would also probably help with gameplay performance as the junk piles being removed would free up memory.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm starting a playthrough of KOTOR 2 to see what influences it had on Obsidian's New Vegas development. I haven't given it a full playthrough in years, so I think now is the time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The ending to KOTOR 2 with the restored content mod is still better than the wet fart Bioware followed it up with.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

StashAugustine posted:

yeah i played it with the restored content mod and it was basically fine story wise

nothing can save the fact that it's a lovely video game adaptation of a lovely knockoff of dnd which is itself lovely

Be honest though, did anyone ever think that either Kotor game or even the MMO had good gameplay?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gaius Marius posted:

I might as well ask here while you guys are talking about it. Do the KOTOR games offer anything to someone who is at best lukewarm on the starwars franchise.

Depends on your reason to be lukewarm. KOTOR 1 is a fairly straightforward Star Wars experience transplanted to a different time period. KOTOR 2 is Chris Avellone's thirty hour long lecture series on why The Force, Jedi and Sith are all terrible ideas that only cause human suffering.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

2house2fly posted:

KOTOR2's big twist was no slouch at the time either. I mean since then a bunch of games have done "all the video game mechanics stuff like experience points were ACTUALLY HAPPENING IN THE STORY" but it was a bit of a trip for me at the time

Making rpg mechanics diagetic was a stroke of genius at the time, and the jedi masters' fundamental misunderstanding of you character's nature and Kreia's retribution is one of the all time great RPG moments.

When I say that Kotor 2 is a lecture series, I don't necessarily mean that as a bad thing, but a lecture is only as good as the professor. If you don't like Kreia's character it will not work for you, period. Thankfully there is a game beyond Kreia as well, and it is very well written and often very funny.

It's the only Star Wars game I can think of which is in set in a postwar setting rather than during the outbreak or height of a conflict. This allows the game to explore the aftermath of all those star wars that keep happening. It examines the cost that comes with war, the failure to learn from conflict, and how people are defined in battle, either finding their true selves or finding themselves lacking. Trust, strength, betrayal, trauma and echoes are all key themes within the story, and I'd argue that the layers of subtext within the game rival New Vegas in their subtleties.
Kreia IS Arren Kae and there are no two ways about it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Internet Wizard posted:

Wasn’t there also something about becoming more powerful as you collected companions because you connected to the force through them after severing your connection during the war?

Yes. You basically become a conduit for the force to flow through from others, rather than from within

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

2house2fly posted:

Because the Force can't act through you you're also immune to "destiny" though of course the Force can still act on you through people, like your companions and Kreia

It's pretty interesting how Luke's philosophy in Last Jedi is the optimistic inverse of Kreia. Kreia sees the Jedi and the sith as destructive forces. So does Luke. However Kreia blames fate itself for causing these flawed ideologies to wage war, and wants to burn it all down to make everyone free of predestination. Luke on the other hand wants the galaxy to embrace the force free of the ideologies of the sith and the Jedi.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Red Lucy also gives you the Dinner Bell, making the thorn a required stop for me on my ocd riddled quest to collect every unique weapon in the game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Valentine is to Far Harbor what Lydia was to Dragonborn.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Neurosis posted:

I remember reading Matthew Woodring Stover - author of the Acts of Caine books, which are pretty good - tried to introduce nuance to the Force in the licensed books he wrote but editorial stomped on the attempt hard

Shatterpoint, Vietnam/Heart of Darkness in Star Wars.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If the institute was run by an AI it would have just been a repeat of John Henry Eden where you pass one persuade check and he decides to commit suicide and blow up the institute/raven rock.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
All four of the Vegas DLCs deal with letting go of the past in one way or another.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
New Vegas is also mostly on the periphery of civilization and Westside is a total slum. Army bases should be cleaned up though holy poo poo NCR get your discipline in check.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Cass is still better than FO4 companions because she let's you chug whiskey nonstop.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Randaconda posted:

I rock 'em, roll 'em, all night long

I've wrangled, and I've rambled, and ive rodeo'd around,
Never once thought of settling down

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

2house2fly posted:

The opening half-hour or so of Fallout 4 is all the evidence I need that the writers are not half-assing it, they're just psychotic

Schizophrenic would be more accurate. The trouble with the way Bethesda writes their own games is that they lack a good lead writer to ensure consistency. Their design teams pretty much run independent of one another working on locations and ideas they think are cool and running them by Todd is about as much oversight as they get. That's why individual areas can sometimes shine on their games while the overall writing quality and world building is inconsistent as hell.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well the East Coast Brotherhood going back to their xenophobic ways with an extra dose of militaristic assholery was a nice addition to Fallout 4. It is fine on its own, but the implication that the west coast chapters were sick of the Lyons's poo poo and sent their top enforcer to straighten them out was a great touch.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Motherfucker posted:

I really wish Bethesda would pull a new vegas with every release since its pretty clear the writing parts of their bloated company are no longer getting enough blood.

Bethesda Game Studios is hardly bloated. They have around 160-80 employees. In the AAA games market that's tiny for how immense their game worlds are. Their problem is not overwriting things, it is that they lack a good lead writer to come in and build a cohesive story from the separate smaller teams designing each area.

Zenimax and Bethesda's publishing arm are a different entity and shouldn't be conflated with the developer studio.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 18, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MikeJF posted:

And why the gently caress can't such a profitable AAA studio hire an extra 20 or 30 people for the polishing end of things, damnit.

That's their problem. They overstretch and have no oversight. They run their ideas past Todd Howard, he says "cool, go do that!" and that's as far as their oversight goes. That's why you can have a well made companion like Danse, and a crappy one like Preston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I would trade being able to pick up every piece of junk and every NPC having a home if it meant we could get larger cities and better level design. Just remember that Witcher 3 gets scale right because it focuses on a highly localized region of the Witcher continent rather than the entire Northern Kingdoms. The gigantic Witcher 3 map covers the immediate area around the delta to one of the continent's main trading rivers, nothing near the size of the NCR.