Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Hey I just started Fallout 4 on pc and I have a weird issue I'm trying to work out. When I swap my audio to headphones I seem to lose most of the sound, despite it working just fine on speaker output. Settings are a little thin in the menu so I dunno where to go with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

titties posted:

I decided to install fo4 on my ps4 (I'm far too poor for good computer or current-gen) so i could tour all the settlements and buildings i made in 2016 or whatever.

Turns out the game is completely broken and you can't even launch it on ps4 if you have the robit crafting dlc.

On PS5 (no dlc) when the opening cutscene finished for me and you're staring at yourself in the mirror, the game never played any dialogue and I had to close and restart the application twice before the game progressed.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Play a better Fallout game. Perhaps New Vegas

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

MH Knights posted:

Fallout 76: I tried to create a two bedroom ranch but got tired of the jank/limitations of the builder and just made a simple concrete box.

Me in every single builder game I have ever played.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Starting FO4 in earnest myself, and a think the quest to clear out the factory is a noob trap? I went in there at like level 5 and was not prepared to face 20+ raiders in and around it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

FO2's tutorial area put me off of the game for over a decade lol

e: Thinking about it, my god it was probably closer to 20 years...

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 26, 2024

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

davecrazy posted:

You don't have to fight the ants, you can just run around them.

Wise words, but 18 years too late. Wasn't so bad when I tried again as an adult.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Seriously, what the heck is up with the sound in FO4 on PC. It's basically random if the main channel transmits to my headphones when I start up and I have to restart a bunch to see whether or not it works (I can tell if the main menu music plays).

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Are there like, beginner tips for Fallout 4? I'm getting frustrated enough to consider putting this game back down. I'm trying to do like, the second mission the Brotherhood of Steel has given me to find a lost patrol. This ends up at a satellite array full of super mutants, one of whom is perched up high with a rocket launcher that will kill me in one hit, and he *will* hit me with his height advantage when I look away. Most of the enemy's favorite tactic is to just rush to melee which makes it really hard to shoot them and all my guns do diddly damage anyway, while I take a ton of it. Should I come back with power armor? Do something else? I just don't feel like I'm playing the game right.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Is there anything I can do about the absurd load times in FO4 (PC)? I'm usually pretty lenient about this sort of jank but 90+ seconds to load into the overworld is not acceptable.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

hawowanlawow posted:

Fallout 4 load accelerator

Load times are tied to frame rate. This uncaps it while loading and improves speed by like, many times

Lmao I would have never guessed this is why.

But this mod worked so thanks a ton!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Your level and perks are entirely uncapped in FO4. If you somehow play enough to make your level overflow the 16 bit signed integer assigned to it you will crash the game

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

How are you supposed to keep track of where your companions are in FO4? I'm always afraid I'll forget where I sent someone and will have to manually search the settlements.

Also "Dogmeat found something". Great. Wish the ui would indicate where he was standing.

Kaddish posted:

I wonder if Bethesda will work online directly into FO5? Hopefully with the option to play offline.

Jesus I hope not. Please let me enjoy games without the burden of other players, even implied.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

How the heck did Bethesda get 76 to a point where it is an ok game to play

It was a complete and utter trash fire on release.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm knee deep in the final quarter of FO4 and my opinion of the game really elevated as I continued to play it. It's a technical mess and I don't think that will ever change, but I've been enjoying it. It's really interesting to see how they weave the factions together into the main story. I'm backing the Railroad this game and it's full of so much double agent nonsense I'm invested.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Did the Railroad FO4 mission where you blow up the Prydwen. Went well, no alarm. Nice. When the vertibird dropped us off I followed Deacon for a bit, where he promptly pathed through a proximity mine and blew me up as I tried to follow him. I haven't laughed that hard all game and it would have been tragic if I was playing survival mode or something.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Quest award: 250 caps, maybe a gun

Profit from selling all the equipment from the raiders I killed on the way: 900 caps

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I just finished FO4 for the first time and the finale was pretty meh. Didn't have a lot of oomph. Kinda felt like the end of the 2nd act of a 3 act game. Really enjoyed my time overall though.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You can ignore settlements survival mode or not, especially if you don't plan to go deep into the Minutemen storyline.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Most of the time they can defend themselves if you laid enough defenses down. They can't be completely destroyed either if you decide to ignore them. Put as much or as little effort as you want into them; they're the same as any other difficulty. You inability to teleport to them changes little.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The wiki says you should be able to talk to Kells after you finish Show No Mercy to close the quest. Try that if you haven't.

Still an annoying bug!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The main quest is the one to find your son. Anything else is a side quest. This is a Bethesda game; the side quests are the content imo

If you do a lot of equipment modding or settlement building you're going to want all the junk you collect. Otherwise you won't need as much.

You can ignore power armor if you want. You won't ever need it to finish the game or anything. They're just fun to use.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Man in 5 years we’re going to have to run games made before 2015 in a new sort of DOSBOX aren’t we

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Everyone's 76 camps look so good yet here I am in FO4 stuck making corrugated steel shanty towns as if everyone in the Commonwealth forgot you can erect buildings without holes in them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

FutureCop posted:

2) The second I adjust my view to not point directly at something making noise, it plunges into practically absolute silence. I can understand it getting a bit quieter, but this is incredibly extreme, like it's expecting me to have a surround sound system despite just having two boring front speakers. Is there a setting for this? I actually had this same problem with the Bioshock games, but no others. Maybe I just need to wear headphones (but if I'm doing that, I guess I may as well play VR instead).

This is almost certainly because the game is messing with your default sound devices because I have a similar issue. Do you have start menu music? I have to force windows to reset the default devices in order for it to output right.