Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Wolfsheim posted:

I've put a lot of hours into F2 and have never actually made it to San Francisco.

One the one hand you missed out on Navarro, which is one of the best areas in the game. On the other hand, you missed out on San Francisco, which is one of the worst. So it kind of evens out I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Navarro is where I quit Fallout 2. I was forced to fight through dozens of soldiers but my game was glitching out horribly. People were shooting through walls, companions were teleporting, I couldn't aim at the goddamn turret that was 3 feet in front of me. It was basically unplayable. I didn't have a hard save outside that wouldn't cost me hours of progress to go back too so I just gave up.

Haha, that sounds like Fallout 2 alright. Definitely not a game you want to play without the unofficial patch.

Though you only have yourself to blame for actually fighting anyone in that place. :v:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Psychotic Weasel posted:

My main beef with Fallout 1 was the drat time limit. If you take too long to beat the game you get locked into the worst endings no matter what. Who the hell creates this giant, open world for you to explore and grow in then slaps a time limit on it?

Genuine question: Has anyone ever hit the time limit in Fallout 1? Unless you're deliberately walking around the desert for weeks on end, I just don't see how it's possible.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

And on top of that they also need to deal with tending to their retarded brethren that the Enclave cooked up.

Are you talking about the Nightkin? Those aren't Enclave creations, they were in the original Fallout.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I believe the memorial is right on the edge between the safe space and the murder zone. That a Deathclaw managed to get up there is weird, but then, far stranger bugs have happened in New Vegas.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Even deconstructions would benefit from a final area that's actually fun to play though.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

About as much as Baldur's Gate does if you're not a fan of traditional high fantasy. Or Fallout if you don't care about the post-apocalyptic aesthetic. So not really, I suppose.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Isn't the Thorn in Westside? Or right next to it?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Fallout 1 is the only RPG I know of where you can not only skip the final boss but complete the entire game without even realising he exists.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I thought math is a liberal art.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

What makes you think part of her story was cut?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

That's more of a problem with New Vegas being pathetically easy than ammo types being inherently useless though.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Night Stalkers are kind of cute when you have the Animal Friend perk.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Neurolimal posted:

IDK if he was a Clinton parody, doesn't seem like it from his dialogue .msg file:
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Qhprzrch.msg

The president isn't a direct Clinton parody, but his secretary is one giant Lewinsky reference, stained dress jokes and all.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Fallout 2 has a bizzare quality curve where the first few hours and the last few hours suck. And the middle of the game is alright. Everything after San Francisco was a mistake.

Honestly, the pop-culture references bother me a lot less than every Asian character in San Francisco talking about round-eyes and honourable combat. Now that's lazy writing.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Katt posted:

There was the water time and then there was the "supermutants invade and kill the vault" timer for me.

What version of the game are you running? The second timer shouldn't appear in a fully patched copy.

Leroy Dennui posted:

It was really bizarre for me to actually want to take Skilled since it used to be borderline the worst trait you could possibly take in FO1/2.

Skilled's alright in Fallout 1 since by the time you finish the game, you'll only really lose one perk, and the level 3 perks are nothing to write home about anyway. It's bad in Fallout 2 though.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Oh, you mean how did players deal with the second time limit before it got patched out? I don't know about that, but my guess would be that most of them didn't even realise it existed, because it was an exorbitant 500 days. Even if you spend weeks aimlessly wandering around the desert, it shouldn't take more than a year to beat the entire game, let alone the second half.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Mar 21, 2018

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

2house2fly posted:

The brand's reputation may have suffered due to New Vegas being so buggy and not being a drastic evolution from Fallout 3. I can see them worrying about it being perceived as a cheap cash-in.

Haha, imagine a Bethesda title's reputation suffering due to bugginess.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Garrand posted:

I've never actually played VtM. I think it's been brought up before either here or the NV thread, but is it worth getting now or is it too much an unplayable mess? I've heard it's had lots of bugs but I'm wondering if there are patches or mods that might fix some of that.

It's one of the best RPGs ever made, as long as you're not turned off by janky combat (which you're probably not if you're posting in the Fallout thread).

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

dead comedy forums posted:

:smith:

I had no idea...

IIRC, most of Troika's staff works at Obsidian now. No idea what Brian Mitsoda is up to these days though.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

A Sometimes Food posted:

Mitsoda though went off to found a studio with his wife, made Dead State and is now making Visual Novels.

He's always been better as a writer than a programmer, so visual novels are fitting I suppose.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

wafflemoose posted:

As someone who loved the first Wasteland and hasn't played the sequel yet, what makes Wasteland 2 bad exactly?

Oh boy, where to begin. (Note that these thoughts are based on the original release. WL2 eventually got a director's cut which I've never played. Maybe it fixed a lot of the issues.)

Skills

- There are a ton of them and many feel redundant. Why do you need both Lockpicking and Safecracking? Why three different dialogue skills? You could argue that it forces you to make a choice, but then it's trivial to max out all skills in a four-man party, so it ends up being pointless complexity.
- Skillchecks are percentage based. Which is a bad idea when you can reload at-will for a lot of reasons.
- Using a skill takes time. Not so bad in and of itself, but there are a huge number of skill checks on every map. Seeing the lockpicking bar fill up gets old really, really fast.

Stats

- Stats have breakpoints. I don't remember all of them offhand, but with Intelligence for instance, there was no reason not to have it at 1, 4, 7, or 10, because those were the values which gave you additional skill points per level.
- There are seven stats, they sometimes interact with each other, and not all of their functions are well-explained at the start of the game. It's quite easy to make a terrible character if you don't know exactly what you're doing.

Gameplay

- Combat is frequent, very slow, and not all that interesting. There's little tactical variation because you can't do much with the environment and enemies usually are either melee rushers or gunslingers hiding behind cover. Consequently, the endgame consists of headshotting guys over and over again until everything's dead.
- Combat skills weren't balanced at all. Assault rifles trumped everything, energy weapons had one really good endgame option which was easy to miss, and SMGs basically fell off a cliff after the first hour of gameplay.
- There's a lot of pointless backtracking. Getting the best resolution in the Rail Nomads area requires walking from one end of the map to the other several times, for instance.
- The entire second half could have benefitted from being massively shorter. So much of it feels like padding.

Really, there's a quite a bit to like about WL2, but it suffers heavily from the two most prevalent aspects (combat and skill checks) being giant chores.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Wasteland 2 is an extremely faithful sequel to an 80s RPG in every way. Which is part of the problem, there are a lot of 80s RPGs which are dogshit in how the game mechanics work and the difficulty is balanced, complete with trap skill options that literally do nothing.

I don't even think it's the fidelity that's at fault. Say what you want about the original Wasteland, but it doesn't force you to spend a ton of time waiting until skill checks are completed, has a fairly brisk combat system, and its story doesn't drag on forever either. In quite a few respects, WL2 is worse than the game which came out twenty years earlier (though to be fair, in many other ways it's a massive improvement).

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Zombie Squared posted:

I forgot first aid. God, that is dire compared to doctor. I don't even know what the balancing thing was supposed to be.

First Aid has a higher starting value and can be raised with books, so I assume the intention was that you rely on it if you don't want to spend any skill points on healing and only get Doctor if you've got SP to spare. Of course, the abundancy of Stimpaks makes either skill pretty superfluous.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

how does anyone fight things in new vegas without VATS is beyond me

See, I can't believe anyone would willingly use VATS. The last thing I want is combat lasting even longer.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Fallout 2 companions could become murder machines if you equipped them properly and let them gain a few levels. It just took a lot of effort to get there.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas have the opposite problem where you sometimes wonder why you even bother to show up for a fight considering your pals have no trouble mowing down everything.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Woebin posted:

I will not have you besmirch the good name of my friend Lenny. :colbert:

Lenny's not bad. Incredibly tanky (highest hitpoints of any companion and the ability to wear power armour), a decent shot with pistols, and the high Doctor skill comes in handy every now and again. In terms of utility, I'd certainly take him over Myron or most of the non-human NPCs.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Vavrek posted:

Somebody mentioned in this thread that Honest Hearts was basically just The Mission, and thank you whoever you are for that.

That might very well have been rope kid himself, since he's a huge shill for the film. :v:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I'm genuinely surprised so many people had trouble with the tutorial in Fallout 2, since you don't have to fight anything and can be done with the whole thing in about two minutes.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Riatsala posted:

Playing through NV with a new character. Someone convince me to play Honest Hearts again, instead of just looking up the Cave Father's journal online and calling it a day? For reference I don't use Guns except for shotguns, and I don't use melee/unarmed, so A Light Shining in Darkness/.45 weapons/Yao Guai Gauntlet is not all that appealing a reason.

Why do anything in the game really? Much more productive to use your time for other things.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

You might be thinking of the sequel. Fallout 1 doesn't have any small guns weaker than the 10mm pistol (aside from the BB gun, which is more of an easter egg).

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

You better not accidentally hit level 2 and miss out on that sweet, sweet 0.5 skill points.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Thompsons posted:

I think you can find Ranger ghouls at Camp Golf but it's never really commented on.

I can't remember if I heard it in the game itself or from one of the developers, but the NCR Rangers contain a disproportionate number of Ghouls precisely because Ghouls live so long that they're likely to accumulate the necessary experience at some point.

There's even a Super Mutant NCR Ranger in Fallout 2, which might be the only time you see one integrated into a human settlement outside of Broken Hills.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

I must have missed that guy. gently caress, that was a missed opportunity for new Vegas.

Apparently, there was supposed to be a Super Mutant NCR Ranger in New Vegas as well, but he never made it into the final release. Maybe because the theme of Super Mutants being ostracised by all other factions doesn't work as well if one of them is a member of the military elite.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

New Vegas whole "maneuvring complex political alliances" stick kind of falls apart when you consider that a high-level Courier could wipe out entire armies without breaking a sweat. That's a general issue with RPGs being too accommodating to power fantasies though.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

It's interesting how the NCR has the best ending for many factions if you're willing to make an effort and forge alliances, and one of the worst endings if you just do whatever Col. Moore tells you. There's probably a moral lesson in there somewhere.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

The endings make perfect sense though? Obviously an independent New Vegas will have more violence in the streets than one firmly controlled by an NCR police force and thus also require the Followers to care for more patients.

Edit: Beaten like the Legion at Hoover Dam.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

aniviron posted:

It's an interesting thing, though. The two Cols. you meet are Moore who is absolutely the worst and Hsu who is a super chill bro who wants things to work out for everyone and puts in the work to make it happen. NCR could go either way, at a tipping point.

Yeah, I guess part of the reason so many people are drawn to the NCR as a faction is that they offer the potential for change. With House or Caesar, you either buy their pitch or you don't, but through your choices, the Republic can be steered in a more beneficial (or more harmful if you're into that) direction than the one it follows throughout the game.

Waxing poetic all the time doesn't make him sound intelligent at all, particularly when he was explaining his name. If the intention is to convey a deep respect to capital letter History, it produces the reverse for me: like he hams it up because he is a hack and doesn't know jack poo poo.

Sounds like you figured out Ulysses pretty quickly.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

So you're saying that she hopes to be euphoric in this moment? Not because of any Jedi or Sith's blessing, but because of her own intelligence?

Well, she did study the blade. With her mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Viva Miriya posted:

Where can I find a steady supply of 5mm ammo for Marcus and myself?

The merchants in the NCR and San Francisco should have quite a bit of 5mm ammo and restock every few days.

Viva Miriya posted:

Also without breaking immersion and just going to Navarro, when do I end up getting said power armour?

In Navarro.

You can find a weaker version of power armour in the Military Base to the west of NCR.