Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
hi I started playing this because I've got nothing going on till November and after getting to level 50 I blew all the atoms I gained from challenges on building a Slocum's Joe because could a depressed person make this

there's also a house and a garage but they're not finished yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Psychedelicatessen posted:

That's a lovely little camp. I believe the Plan: Advertisement Posters has a couple of food-themed posters and the Plan: Valley Galleria Signs got a couple of diner looking signs that would fit right in.

I love themed camps, they're always a joy to look at and explore.

yeah that first one has a slocum's joe ad poster I wanted to put on the front wall or behind the vendor but I haven't been able to track down the plans yet

Jukebox and cooking stove also high priority

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jul 17, 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I mainly want the T-60 armor paint since that's what I'm going to be using until I get off my rear end and do the brotherhood of steel quests for the Hellcat

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Eiba posted:

I'm newish to Fallout 76, still exploring things and treating it like a single player game at level 70, but what's the point of different power armors? It seems like some are just better than others. Why not just use the better ones? It's kind of unfortunate if you get a sweet skin for just an objectively useless power armor set.

Like, I got the crafting recipe for a sweet looking mining power armor from a quest, and I see it's got some cool bonus abilities if you have the full set, even though its armor value is barely better than my non-power combat armor. Do other power armor sets have hidden bonuses like that?

Speaking of non-power armor, is there a point to armor that isn't "heavy"? I read lighter armors improve stealth, but the heaviest armor I've got lets me sneak around just fine, without any stealth perks or anything, just a bunch of points in agility.

So I started running a PA build when I made my character a week ago and I had to do some research. The conclusion I reached is that there's differences just not huge ones for most of them.

Technically at level 50 it's supposed to go that T-51b has higher physical/energy resist than T-60 while T-60 has way better radiation resist and is cheaper to repair, Ultracite has the best ballistic defense of the base game original power armors, while X-01 has the highest energy defense. Excavator mainly exists for mining and huge carry weight and should not really be brought into a heavy combat situation. Raider and T-45 are the only armors I'd call actually bad at higher levels in comparison to your other options.

Then you have the T-65 (added in Wastelanders) which is just better than everything because you actually have to grind for it, and the Hellcat (added just this patch) which is in a weird place of its own because on paper its stats are bad but its additional passive effect gives it ballistic defense on par with the T-65 and you get it just from completing a questline - though the mod plans require grinding on par with getting the T-65.

In practice though as long as it's level 50 I don't think there's a massive power gap between the PAs. Ballistic damage modifiers of a few points aren't a huge deal especially since PA has an unlisted inherent ballistic defense on top of that. Energy resistance basically doesn't matter if you're running Electric Absorption (which if you're using PA you might as well), and Radiation Resistance is the biggest "who cares" stat in the game. What really matters is what you can get mods for.

e: though granted that could be a lie I'm telling myself because I don't want to use the T-65 I think it's loving hideous

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 19, 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

MH Knights posted:

Don't the higher end PAs cost more to craft and repair as well?

Most of them yeah though the X-01's even cheaper to repair than the T-60. The Ultracite on the other requires like 50% more than what those two do as well as Ultracite to repair. The wiki doesn't list repair costs for the T-65 or Hellcat.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Manwithastick posted:

I hate how I can never find fusion cores when I need them- any tips?

take over a workshop with a fusion core generator, turn on a nuclear power plant to power it, and just farm em

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The cores come out once every seven minutes and it stores up to three

The real hassle is having to defend the place from attacks

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Father Wendigo posted:

Bethesda is currently using the game as an asset farm for a remaster of Fallout 3 first and foremost, so I wouldn't hold out too much hope for a big turnaround if you're already skeptical.

Is this actually based on anything

also the Wastelanders writing is way the hell ahead of the base game

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Morality_Police posted:

Yeah honestly, I figured after the success of ESO Bethesda would have figured out how to apply the things that worked to 76. I just have trouble believing the 76 team were surprised by this information, like, "You mean to tell me people ENJOY doing instanced group dungeons like in every MMO of the last 20+ years??"

I know ESO and 76 are entirely different teams, but come on Todd!

remembering the article from like a month or two back where it was revealed execs shot down most of the 76 team's more mmo-y ideas or attempts to look at ESO because they believed ESO was just a total fluke that was going to burn out and no one would care in a year

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
When will the Mothman power armor paint return I need it

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

FrickenMoron posted:

You can ask beth support you want it from the atom shop and they will give it to you and deduct the atoms directly.

Wait, is this seriously a thing?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
This is still Fallout general, right? Because I'm having a problem with 4.

I just reinstalled it and for some reason it's running really weird - turbo laggy mouse movements and stuttery framerate. Absolutely nothing has changed about my computer since the last time I ran the game (and it ran totally fine then), and it's the same way mods on or off. It's definitely not memory concerns or whatever because I shut it down and loaded up Stranger of Paradise which ran just fine. What the gently caress is going on?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
e: nevermind deleting the ones in my games did the trick. Thanks!

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 8, 2023

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Flesh Forge posted:

you might see the appeal of Sim Settlements, although I don't recommend the premade settlements (they are crash magnets and generally not that fun to navigate)

I feel like I'm not capable of making something remotely that good otherwise

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

KittenJucerSupreme posted:

Not sure if anyone here saw the new Inside The Vault but new cryptids and side quests coming tp 76. I'm not a cryptid expert but the Blue Devil is a weirdly deep cut, according to my friend. Hope we get more stuff like this tbh- seems like little side quests and a few new mobs works better than the Steel Dawn style stuff.

yeah the blue devil is an insanely deep cut, probably because even the most die hard cryptid believers agree that it was just some guys freaking out about a big wolf

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Lmao at thinking "insanely deep cuts" exist in any field where literally literally everything is on the Internet. (Cryptids being one such field.) They just loving desperately googled for something they hadn't put in yet and found it.

The entire first page of google results for blue devil are about the fallout 76 blue devil. The only actual article I could find about it was from a West Virginia local history collection site. It's a cryptid so obscure I've never heard of it, and I know a lot of dumb cryptid bullshit, so yeah I consider it to be a deep cut.

They also passed up Snarly Yow (also basically a big wolf) and Veggieman to put this in and those guys are already like the D-tier of West Virginia cryptids.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Orv posted:

Fallout General & 76: Cryptid Tier Lists

But no really please do post a cryptid tier list.

I've waited my whole life for someone to ask me this. To stay on topic I'll limit it to what's in 76. Rankings are decided by real world "lore", in-game appearance, an arbitrary measurement of pop cultural penetration, and personal bias.

S Tier
- Mothman. No question. Existing today in 2023 it's hard for us to conceive just how loving crazy people were going over the Mothman in 1966. Iconic look, major Hollywood movie, and one of the few cryptids that has a theoretical body count attached to it. No other monster has an extremely caked up statue like Mothman. King poo poo.

- Flatwoods Monster: Only one sighting ever and yet has become a nearly ubiquitous piece of cryptid lore based entirely on the look and catching on like crazy in Japan. For more information, see this video. It loses a bit of points just because of how goofy its in-game design is, but it's still the goddamn Flatwoods Monster. What am I gonna do, not put it in S tier?

- Wendigo. Maybe the only cryptid in the game that has lore beyond the imagination of panicky white people seeing something funny in the woods. Even more ubiquitous than the other two but is below them due to not being WV specific and because nobody is a big wendigo fan. Well, maybe Armie Hammer.

A Tier
- Grafton Monster. You may not know this but its Fallout 76 appearance is mostly identical to what people (well one person who was making poo poo up) reported seeing. It was always a weird Silent Hill flesh monster and that's just great. The cool design is hampered by a lack of cultural cache and the fact that it's extremely localized even by West Virginia cryptid standards.

- SHEEPSQUATCH. Possessing the combined powers of sheep and squatch it's actually the newest of the 76 cryptids; almost all of the sightings of this thing were in the mid 90's. It's honestly only A-tier due to a combination of in-game appearance, a fairly wide coverage area, and personal bias. gently caress you it's my list.'

- The Emissary. Not a cryptid according to the Fallout wiki but he's clearly a classical Man in Black - not the modern version of a secret anti-alien government agent we've been conditioned to accept by Hollywood and conspiracy theories, but the old school "thing pretending to be human and not doing a particularly good job of it" type. Which I like a lot better tbh.

B Tier
- Snallygaster. This one's weird. It has enough cultural penetration to have a wiki article which honestly puts above a lot of things on this tier list, but it's so...ill-defined? There's no consensus on what a snallygaster even looks like, which is probably why its 76 incarnation is just a weird hosed up ghoul. It's too vague to really latch onto. Also, it's not from loving West Virginia! It's a Maryland cryptid! Get outta here, Snallygaster!

- Ogua. I'm not big on water monsters, generally. There's no fun theorizing about what they could be, because the answer is always driftwood. Without exception. That said, the Ogua gets points for at least being something with a sick design (giant two-headed alligator snapping turtle!) and having its first sighting in the 1700s, which makes it the oldest non-Wendigo thing on the list. That's got to count for something.

C Tier
- Blue Devil. An extremely nothing cryptid with terrible SEO, and it suffers from the "Big wolf" problem (see below). Its in-game design is a Garou-style werewolf, so that's kind of cool? But also the generic kind of cool that is hard to get excited about. Top to bottom, the definition of mid.

D Tier
- Beast of Beckley. It's...a big wolf, guys. There's like three or four WV cryptids that are all "big wolf" and they're all lame, as well as being directly harmful to the environment by serving as an excuse for a bunch of drunk yokels to wander into the woods and shoot real actual wolves minding their own business. The Beast stands out a little because it's supposed to be some weird phantasmal grinning Smiledog-looking motherfucker but that doesn't really come across in game where it's literally just a big albino wolf. Snore.

F Tier
- Mega Sloth. The Fallout wiki classifies this as a cryptid and they're wrong. It is a reference to the giant ground sloth being the West Virginia state fossil but it's not like some miner hopped up on moonshine in the 1900s claimed he saw one walking around or some poo poo. I love sloths, don't get me wrong, but this doesn't even deserve to be on the list.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 16, 2023

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Twincityhacker posted:

Wait, Mothman has a bodycount? I though that they were warning about the bridge collapse.

Some stories go with that, some stories imply mothman was responsible for the bridge collapse. It really depends on who you're talking to.

If you believe (I don't even know if that's the right word for this) the warning story then the worst thing it did was give some people pink eye.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Are you implying this was the case when the makers of Fallout 76 were Googling for something new to add to the game? Also do you think they started Googling for a specific thing before they found out that thing existed?

Eh. I didn't really think about it that hard.

My point that it is an obscure cryptid remains.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Moon Slayer posted:

The show is very good and makes me want to replay some of the games. Some turbonerds online are big mad because they think it contradicts canon or erases New Vegas but they're morons.

the thing they're mad about erasing New Vegas is a timeline error that's been acknowledged by the staff but it's already ballooned into "Todd Howard wants to destroy New Vegas because it's better than his games" which sounds like a very generous assumption of how often Todd Howard thinks about New Vegas

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
And this is why I always go with Nora

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't think it would have been so surprising to find out that Nate was in fact a war criminal

I just kind of assume everyone was doing war crimes during the great war

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
everyone pretend to be surprised

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1781095686366486530

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Griz posted:

bought FO76 on steam sale for $7 or w/e, logged in, did tutorial, was immediately greeted by some guy shouting the n word so i just logged out and uninstalled

can't even get my $7 back bc it's not a steam product

you can just turn player mics off

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah just go explore. 4's like the best 3D Fallout for that.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Fallout 4 was the best selling game in Europe last week and Fallout 76 hit a 24 hour peak player count of 72,930 on Steam

I think they're fine with what they've got

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 22, 2024

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
god those camps make me feel so self-conscious about my dumb little slocum's joe build

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rinkles posted:

I’m not trying to poke holes in the show’s writing, or defend the sanctity of the video game lore or whatever, but was it ever established/implied in the games that Vault Tec was quite as uninhibitedly rich and powerful as depicted in the show?

As the series goes on Vault-Tec gets retroactively bigger and more powerful, though realistically even going from the start of the series any company that can do the things Vault-Tec did is on a level of power beyond even what real corporations can reach (so far).

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

explosivo posted:

So is specializing in semi automatic pistols not advisable in 76?

Pistols are the least supported ranged weapon type

It basically goes:

Commando
Heavy Guns
Rifleman
Shotgun

a huge gap

Gunslinger

Even Shotgun is pretty much held up entirely by the Cold Shoulder being amazing and the Gauss Shotgun being okay because every other weapon in that class is rear end

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There's also a power plant with a fusion core generator if you do an event to start it up (and then keep other players from taking the workshop from you)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

CelticPredator posted:

So what’s the actual secret for getting ammo during ops and expositions?

I’ve bonked enemies with the weapon I want ammo for and killed then and that seems to work but it’s still weird. I’m trying to get alien ammo.

But is thee an actual way besides using it to kill? Sometimes I go in empty lol

Have the gun out at the end of the op or expedition

The trick is ammo have hidden modifiers that dictate how much of it you get at once. for instance 5mm can drop in batches of 50+ but you'll never get more than a dozen 12mm ecm off a corpse at a time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The best part is when a synth invasion happens and one of your settlers who was secretly a synth hijacks your power armor and turns against you