Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I'm going to try 76 for the first time today. I read some posts back about buying Cold Shoulder schematics. Anything else I should buy/whatever right away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Any reason not to start at level 20?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

sauer kraut posted:

Absolutely not the early levels are dreadful tbh.
I uh do hope you get the perk cards x 20 retroactively from levelling up though?

I dunno man, I'm sitting at the menu asking if I want to start at level 20 or not. I can choose a SPECIAL build and that's it.

P.S. What SPECIAL build should I choose.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

sauer kraut posted:

Just try it, you wanna start with a balanced build and max 3 in CHA.
You can respec at any train station for free starting lvl 30? as often as you like, so it matters not.
Just check if you've got a whole bunch of card packs to open once you left the vault please, I would like to know how this level skip works too.

I heard in about 3 hours.

I did have some, but I don't know about 20. It was kind of confusing. I got overwhelmed and quit the game. (I have some work to do, gonna start again in a few)

The game runs surprisingly poorly maxed out given how it looks.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

sauer kraut posted:

Ah yes, you should start with 6 card packs at lvl 20. I forgot how rare they were :shobon:
In addition to the 19 you should be able to choose outright (open the packs first if possible to not get dupes so early)
Guess it's time to choose a build. What do you wanna do? There's auto rifles, semi rifles, handguns, melee, shotguns and bows I guess.
Heavy weapons are best used with power armor only, you can switch to that a bit later if so desired.

Playing sneaky breeki is painful before lvl 35 because you need Escape Artist (aka Silent Running in the older games)

Thanks for the info! I chose Commando but was also considering shotguns.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I’m confused, didn’t the patch notes explicitly mention ultrawide support?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Are there any graphical improvements on PC?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Megazver posted:

I thought there was a 50% off deal on Fallout 1st available right now. Did they nix it or is it no longer available because I tried that limited free week?

Either way, boo hiss.

There was for me. It was in the MS store.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
So I got 1st because why not. What should I spend my 1700 fun bux on? There's a lot of stuff. What's a good value etc for a new player? Maybe one of these seasonal catch up bundles?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Speaking of CAMP rebuilding, if I build stuff in that big gently caress off shelter, and them move camp, would everything still be there?

Also I'm playing the free gamepass version but there's an Atlantic City SKU for money. Is that just a bundle? Is it actual DLC I would need to buy if I want to do Atlantic City stuff?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
How the heck to I get ammo? I'm constantly low on .38 and I see no way to produce it. I can buy it at crazy vendor prices. I read you can buy them from player vendors but I visited 4-5 player camps and not one had a vendor.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Ok, so I need to find this plan for the tinkerers bench I guess.

When do I start finding legendary cores? I've done a few events that list them as drops but nothing yet. I'm only level 23. I bought that Cold Shoulder bundle and now it just sits there, mocking me.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Otacon posted:

Legendary Cores come from events, most events give like 2-5 with some giving 8.

Legendary Modules are purchased at The Rusty Pick. You'll need some scrip saved up - get this by feeding bad Legendary items into the Legendary Scrip Machines are all trainstations, or Whitesprings mall, or The Rusty Pick

Ok yeah, modules are what I need. Sounds like the only way to get them is by.....playing the game I guess!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Does reshade work for this game?

Edit - yes it does.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Can you have SPECIAL loud outs as well or just perks?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Megazver posted:

So I really need the extra carry capacity leg mods on my Excavator armor and I don't see any on the player vendors when I'm online. Is my only option sucking it up and buying it for ~6k from the robot in Camden? Is it possible to then craft and sell them to other players if I do?

So I've trying to find black titanium for this quest - I read I could find plenty at the junkyard, and indeed there's a mining node there that gives me a couple. I captured the workshop, waited 15 minutes or so, never respawned.

I also tried a mine that was supposed to have a lot - I ran out of ammo killing the mole miners, didn't find any.

Are these the best spots?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Paying2Lurk posted:

Dumb question, but did you build a resource extractor over the deposit and power it up?

I sure didn't! I just found out that was a thing!

Thanks for the other tips everyone. I didn't realize I had to scrap that stuff.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Paying2Lurk posted:

Oh yeah, I don't know if the game ever shows you how to do that in a quest or something, but that's how you get resources.

You'll also have to defend the workshop from time to time so build some turrets and walls as well. You'll get a notification and a countdown when it's happening.

I didn't know if I should actually spend time/resources on it when it seems anyone can come along and just take it from me.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Usually there are better ways to farm most things than bothering with workshops. If you have 1st you can set up a private server and build on a bunch of workshops without worrying about anybody. Personally I don't bother with them, and I've noticed most people don't seem to bother, but you always run that risk.

Dang, I do have 1st and didn’t think of that. For the purposes of gathering junk it might make sense to do private?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
The HD re-texture mod makes a substantial difference. Highly recommended.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout76/mods/1209

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

explosivo posted:

What's the performance hit like with this?

For me I would say not-significant. I imagine as long as you have enough VRAM you're pretty good to go. I'm on a 4080.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I can't speak to 27 years ago at release but Fallout 76 is surprisingly good! I'm going to guess the addition of NPCs helped tremendously. That this game shipped without them is a huge LOL and a 'what were they thinking' moment.

I'm sort of surprised there aren't more things to buy in the shop though, such as more legendaries etc.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Blue Raider posted:

Not mechanical performance, but I enjoy the little cookie jar that generates food. Not necessary, but convenient

I have the coffee machine, where is the cookie machine? Is it current?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

FO76:

1. I am trying my strategy of "ignore the main quest and just gently caress around and explore", and I was doing some research, and it seems like the entire zone of The Forest is level 1-10, but there's no defined specific level within the zone. Does that level adjust to mine as I walk into a point-of-interest, but caps out at 10?

2. is there a spot that I can use as a base-of-operations that I wouldn't need to use a CAMP on? Like, something with stash access, a bed, maybe a crafting station or two?

Whitesprings is a good one as well.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
So private workshops are a waste of time unless you’ll be playing for a long session. Built up three workshops and got kicked from my private server for being idle due to a work meeting. Log back in and all gone. Very sad.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
What is the weapon or whatever that sounds like a steam whistle?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Cool, thanks. I keep hearing it during events and just wondered what it was.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Is there a standard backpack in the atom shop and I was missing it?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Ok, so the only way to get a standard backpack is that tadpole quest.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Yeah, I’m just in the mode of wanting to play the game/finish quests. I’ll concentrate on it eventually.

Cold Shoulder is a game changer by the way.

Some of these camps I’ve seen are just insane. Dozens of hours of work.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
How's come I haven't seen the Eviction Notice event since I've started playing? (a week or so)

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
So, I've been having fun running around with Cold Shoulder and a shotgun/strength focus but eventually will want to try commando. Do I need to start getting perk cards for that now, in advance?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I wonder if Bethesda will work online directly into FO5? Hopefully with the option to play offline.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Finally got excavator armor. What’s a good source of fusion cores? Power plants?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Cool, thanks!

Blockhouse posted:

There's also a power plant with a fusion core generator if you do an event to start it up (and then keep other players from taking the workshop from you)

Yeah, I was going to try that out on a private server.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 2, 2024

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Wait, after level 50 we can still pick perk cards every level? That makes more sense if so, because I was unsure how you could effectively change a build just relying on card packs every 5 levels.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
How in the heck to I upgrade the level of my backpack? Should I have found a plan? I don't see a way to craft a new one.

Also, I'm pleasantly surprised by the amount of qol mods available. One of the reasons I never played 76, aside from the obvious, was I assumed we couldn't mod. It's not as extensive as FO4 but there's some decent ones.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Ok, I thought the small backpack could be increased by level, ie. 20, 30, etc. I'm over 50 and not in the game right now but I thought it was still level 20.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

It would be in the shop under CAMP items -> Utility. It comes and goes in the atom shop. It is probably one of the better camp items to get if you are into power armor and/or heavy energy weapons. I can't tell when it is for sale because I already own it and the atom shop is weird.

I got the re-charger earlier today and noticed it's really, really slow.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Hmm, ok. I couldn't find where to actually craft it - must be there somewhere and I'm missing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
So I just checked again and I don't have a backpack plan of any kind in armor crafting. Did I miss it somehow?