Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, I kinda wish there was a Fallout game that didn't even have a main storyline, just a really big loving world and lots of regional questlines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TheHoosier posted:

F1/2/NV are so goddamn good. I actually really liked F3 because "Oh my god an actual new Fallout game holy poo poo!" even though I really miss the old isometric style.

Honestly, while FNV is a better game, I like the feel of FO3 better. FNV is more civilised, but there's a certain appeal to more of a wasteland.

I'd really like a fallout game set back closer to the postwar, when things were more chaotic and wasted. Most vaults were set to open after 20 years; I reckon a fallout game where you're an advance scout out of one of those before it plans to open properly and build a Vault City would be good. They could bring in the settlement system as you first building advance scout bases, and then later helping actually build the foothold of the city.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 31, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The main reason people prefer 3 to 4 is that 4 is just unfinished, nonsensical and often just irritating, even if it is more mature than 3 in many ways.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Freaking Crumbum posted:

I'm struggling to remember, but was there any obvious sub-plot threading through FO4 that hinted at where they wanted the next game to take place? like, in FO3 there's a whole bunch of quests surrounding synths and the railroad and the fact that the guard in Rivet City is a synth but had his memory hosed with so hard, he's literally forgotten about it. I can't think of any kind of equivalent stuff in FO4, but maybe I'm forgetting.

The only hook I can think of is the terminal going on about the Prydwin passing over New York, skyscrapers full of mutants. Nothing big, though.

Unless the Yangtze is a hook, which would be awesome.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 31, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

I hate Geralt because he looks boring and sounds boring and when I'm playing a fantasy game a grizzled old white guy is my last choice for a character.

I like him in part because he seems at the start like the cliche grizzled white man gameplay protagonist but then he turns out to have a actual personality and character.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

Of course Geralt is also a bodice-ripping hunkman. He's just a likable one.

I love how there's endless complaints online from players about a questline where Geralt gets hired to 'tutor' a noble young girl in swordfighting and she has arguments with her twin and it feels like it's leading up to sex but then she gets into a fight with some randoms and turns out to be a horrible racist and Geralt is all well gently caress that poo poo and leaves. And people online are all WHAT HAPPENED WHY DIDN'T WE gently caress HER I DON'T GET IT AND I HAVE BLUE BALLS

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also, they were really just going 'oh gently caress it all, can't be hosed', I think.

There's hints that there was originally going to be a raider faction story in vanilla that didn't make it. All the intricate character plot and policies for the Raiders that can be found on their terminals, for example.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I modded the Rust Devil spawn rate back to something reasonable.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Plus the structure of the attack means you need support crew.

Still sad Automatron didn't add a robot army ending.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

Seeing how Bethesda's games work under the hood can be both amazing and horrifying. A good example is how statues of the player in Oblivion and Skyrim are actually NPCs with special scripts. If you gently caress with scripts (or if they fail to load properly), those statues come to life and its terrifying.

https://clips.twitch.tv/GoldenIntelligentAyeayeRlyTho

And FYI, they bug out all the drat time. Usually you don't see them move, but they'll have changed position when you come home.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'd like a Texan Fallout with all the Texan cliches turned up to 11.

Set it in Dallas-Ft Worth with the two cities at endless war.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Feb 7, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Plus Houston DLC for the obvious joke. "Man, the nukes really did a number on this place" "Oh, Houston wasn't nuked! It was just like this."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

please God do this so I can see the end result of The Woodlands getting wiped off the face of this goddamn planet

Nah, give agency to the player, let you do it. Megaton, but with reason.

Oh man woodlands could be amazing, all of the Stepford people turned ghouls, the HOA still ruling with an iron fist.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 8, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i would unironically bust a loving nut if Fallout 5 let me loving demolish this horrible abomination of a suburb by my own hands, holy gently caress

Hah. I was born there, but my family left just after I was born because after a few years of living there, they decided they 'couldn't let their child be raised in this country'.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Exurb of about a hundred thousand people near Houston that basically exists to house all of the oil company middle management employees who refuse to live in Houston. Endless, hypnotic waves of identical streets, a HOA based on the government of North Korea, a roughly 1:1 resident:golf course ratio, etc.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 8, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

MikeJF basically nailed it, but yeah, imagine an entire small town of what you described about an hour north of Houston "proper"

Also, the woodlands would dream of having the vitality and energy of yuppies.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fintilgin posted:

EDIT: Like, I have this fantasy image of someone taking the data set from some global flight sim like FSX or Xplane and turning it into a post apocalyptic game, where you travel around a lot via vtol plane and buggy across a real-life sized Earth with thousands and thousands of dungeons/ruins/villages. Hoping out to do first person travel, dungeon crawling, shooting. Cross-continental/ocean travel could be done via a system where you pay a vendor, like the city-to-city wagons in Skyrim. It'd probably suck, but.... :allears:

I have the same fantasy but with a series of algorithms that autoprocesses Google Earth data to generate the terrain and map and best guess approximate buildings and all and then ruins them, yeah.

And it's multiplayer and people carve out and defend little domains.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Keith Atherton posted:

I thought my new suite at the Lucky 38 was sweet until I realized getting back there meant 4 loading screens whereas my lovely Novac motel room only needed one

Ugh, that could've been fixed with a decent fast travel point, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's one thing that honestly bothers me about the newer Fallout games, 4 especially; you'd think somebody would at the very least figure out what a god damned broom is somewhere along the way. Even in Fallout 1 you had things like Shady Sands where people were building structures that didn't leak. They weren't big and didn't have modern amenities but they had solid roofs. Fast forward to Fallout 4 and most of what you can build has so many holes you start thinking "why even bother?"

It would make sense if you started out building leaky shacks out of scavenged boards and sheets of rusty scrap but in a world where The Institute exists you'd think somebody, somewhere would be able to do basic carpentry. Instead we get this whole "everybody lives in horrifying squalor or are 100% isolated from the world" crap going on. Even Diamond City, supposedly a huge place that's the best the Commonwealth has to offer, is a dirty hovel.

That's why I reckon they should make the next game 20 years after the bombs fell, in a new region. It's obviously the kind of setting they'd prefer.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I always thought they should do a plot about a group that's basically a voluntary version of the FO1 super mutant conversions, back when super mutants were smart and immortal. You can see both points of view, there's a good ethical dilemma on which side you go with and it lends itself to conflict very easily.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

my weird dream fallout game is just cowboy mount and blade on the northern fringes of the ncr

Cowboy Mount and Blade with good Sim Settlement integration.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zeniel posted:

Also, for a group of scientists the Institutes ideology really makes no goddamn sense. Oh we kidnapped your son because we needed him for his genetic purity, the wasteland is missing genetic purity, that's why we have to send out waves of cyborgs. Genetic purity is not a thing.

That humanity's wider genetic pool post-apocalypse has a bunch of errors and mutations from ambient radiation and only the vault populations have a largely unmutated and not-more-prone-to-problems genome is a plot point in most of the fallout games, though, so it's almost tradition. It was the reason for super mutants being smart vs dumb in FO1, the big driver behind the enclave attack on vault 13 in FO2, the filtering factor in the Enclave's modified FEV virus in FO3. But yeah, it was really dumb in this one.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 14, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I never played the NV DLCs and I probably should install the GOTY and do it. Is there a good, like, easy-to-use ultimate bugfix, looks and gameplay mod compilation or listing? Not looking for super gameplay changeups like survival, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Randaconda posted:

The most disappointing sequel I've ever played. :negative:

It was pretty and had amazing music, though.

Giving in to time constraints and replacing Magus with Guile absolutely gutted it, though, that's true.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wolfsheim posted:

Actually now that I've made the comparison I realize what a missed opportunity it was that they didn't make the Institute director an insane screaming brain in the vein of the Think Tank or the antagonist from Point Lookout instead of your lame son.

Do both. Make it turn out that everyone in the institute is a brain in a tank but you don't know that for most of the game because they all have wifi Synth bodies.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Curie would've been better if you could talk her out of becoming a synth by convincing her that turning her into a Metal Gear with Automatron was cooler.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

2house2fly posted:

YUP fixes tons of bugs, JSawyer makes a bunch of mechanical changes and was made by the game's director so it's basically a free DLC, Project Nevada lets you fiddle with a bunch of settings and adds a sprint button. There's also a loot menu mod that ports Fallout 4's realtime looting mechanic into NV, which is very nice. For content, the New Vegas Uncut mods are pretty much essential, and some helpful soul on the NV Nexus collected them all into one file called something like NEW VEGAS UNCUT 1-2-3-4-5-7

I found this, which looks incredible and useful but ugh so much to do

I really wish they'd just wrapped the end result of them doing it properly into a torrent, but that'd make modders have tantrums, no doubt.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

There's even a bit of acknowledgement that you might do this: If you never established Sanctuary then when Piper tells you to go meet all the factions she'll point you towards Concord, where the last Minutemen are fighting

...how does she know?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

Bethesda Game Studios is hardly bloated. They have around 160-80 employees. In the AAA games market that's tiny for how immense their game worlds are.

And why the gently caress can't such a profitable AAA studio hire an extra 20 or 30 people for the polishing end of things, damnit.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Glazius posted:

...it's called the Spray and Pray, you can buy it from Cricket? If you can't build caravan stops yet I've seen her at Vault 81, Bunker Hill, and the Warwicks.

I mean, yeah, it's just a submachine gun with exploding bullets but they get you normal explosives buffs so that's not that bad, considering.

I got a 5.56 with exploding mod, it made the spray and pray look like a water pistol. :black101:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Keeshhound posted:

If The Master put a little more thought into it, it's really not hard to work out a plan where instead of raiding the vaults and dip everyone, the mutants just capture the vaults and do a Logan's run style thing where everyone over a certain age gets dipped and then younger people are "encouraged" to have kids before being "uplifted."

Hell, I always thought a society that ended up as that, where citizens reach middle age and get dipped and (hopefully) become an immortal super mutant that helps protect them and let them prosper in the horrors of the wasteland, would be a good faction/existential threat that you're forced to defend or destroy for a future fallout game.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 4, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pillars of the Wasteland: Enemy Unknown.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If they'd taken the faction stories to their proper conclusions, the BoS would've had the half/finished Danse Redemption ending as an option, the Minutemen story would've lead up to the reestablishment of the failed Commonwealth Provisional Government that we hear about, and the institute would've had... gently caress, we'd have to figure out what their actual goals were to have a proper ending for them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The railroad don't want to really care about promoting synths as a race, they just want to stop the slavery.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The excuse they made up to get them into 3 - that back in the days before the Brotherhood-NCR war ruined the original Brotherhood, an expedition was sent east to look for the Midwestern chapter and look for high-tech weapons in the pentagon - is totally workable. But yeah, separated offshoots like the the east coast brotherhood are the only powerful brotherhood left, the original west coast chapter has been reduced to gently caress-all.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 6, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wait, what about scripted extraction if you own the original.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bethesda is apparently advising that they do not permit assets to be transferred between games, and that copying files from FO3 to a modded FO4 violates their copyright even without intent to redistribute. Which is pretty loving dodgy.

Even dodgier is the idea that even if we accept that, distributing a script to do so is also a violation on and of itself, rather than the act of running the script.

They wouldn't have a leg to stand on, but no mod team is going to go to court over it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They've should've modelled the institute on the base from Forbidden Planet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's not that it's a plot hole, because it isn't. It's that there's nothing suggesting time has passed or big events have happened in the area. Nobody goes "one time rivet city used to stretch way out beyond just the carrier, but since the mutants came they got pushed back." It's just "rivet city is this and always has been.

Rivet City used to be a few scientists who took over the ship for the equipment and the Hydroponics bay, but as the Super Mutants expanded nearby people got pushed into the ship for defensibility and it expanded into a full blown city. It's mentioned. There's a whole bit where you go talk to one of the original council members who later left, IIRC.

That's the general story that gets mentioned for most of the FO3 settlements, actually. Things used to be more spread out and connected, but the super mutants either killed them or forced them all back to a few more defensible locations. Thanks to the steady stream of new Super Mutants from Vault 87, things have continuously been getting worse over time.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

So where did everyone else come from? How did they maintain enough people to even have a population when they’re all scattered independent survivors in an area that can’t even really grow crops?

Like I said above, the current settlements are the result of a broader population falling back to and reinforcing their most defensible towns within the last half century or so due tovault 87 getting worse. It probably wouldn't have been sustainable for much longer, but now that the Brotherhood is free to help clean up the super mutants and vault 87 is runningout of FEV, things should improve.

Internet Kraken posted:

I remember someone in Megaton talking about how it was founded because people were taking shelter in the enormous crater right after the bombs fell. They built it into a shelter that turned into a town because it was the safest place for them to stay, even if it happened to be surrounding a loving bomb.

Yeah, it was founded by people who'd been trying to get into 101 after the bombs fell. It became successful as a trade post, then built the walls about 80 years ago because its success attracted trouble, and then the walls meant it expanded dramatically as a result of the safety it could offer.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 16, 2018