Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

CellarDweller posted:

If a guy was thinking about giving fallout 4 another chance what mods should he use?

There's one that un-fucks the lovely dialogue wheel and gives you the actual verbatim responses in a list format just like 3/NV, that's pretty much mandatory imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Does Tale of Two Wastelands work properly yet?

Kinda feel like playing FO3 or NV again and suddenly thought why not both

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I've never played a bad character before so I'm playing the FO3 segment of TTW as evil as possible.

I did operation anchorage to get the gear first before going to megaton and killing basically everyone, holy poo poo you get basically no ammo early in FO3 this is going to be tough if I'm determined to kill everyone I find.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Unless they announce private sessions I'm out, and I'm one of the idiots who splashed out on the awful pip boy edition of 4 and still loved it.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 14, 2024

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Lol it looks exactly like it too, wow.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

Father searching for his son? "No way Jose! I can't relate."

Sexy killer anime maid robots? "Sign me the gently caress up!"

Never change.

To be fair there's a jarring disconnect between the dramatic WHERE'S MY BOY narrative and the actual meat of the game generally being wacky wasteland hi-jinks.

Also they don't give you any reason to care about your family at all before sending you off on your way to revenge and rescue, which is also a trap that Fallout 3 fell into and should be equally criticised for. The pre-war sequence setting them up might as well not be there for all the emotional impact it imparts.

Sexy killer anime maid robot game is already weird as poo poo from every angle so doesn't suffer from the same problem, if that's the comparison you want to draw.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Riatsala posted:

I've always been a little unnerved by shooting people preemptively because my pipboy labeled them "Raider Scum". I think it would be a neat mechanical twist (in a non-Fallout game) to have the same sort of dehumanizing combat labels only to realize that the "raiders" or whatever are sympathetic beings in some way. Maybe have a trusted NPC companion with an actual name go through a crisis of conscience and start to question the morality of killing these people, only for your targeting assist to suddenly switch your companion's name to "raider scum" and flag them as hostile.

Maybe that's not as interesting a twist as I think it is, but post-modern games are still going strong, so why not?

I feel like I've read a book or short story or something like that, where they thought they were killing monsters but it turned out to be poor people and refugees or some poo poo being masked by some kind of combat AR fuckery.

It's gonna bug me now that I can't remember what it was. It might even have been tv or a movie.

vvvvv that is exactly it, thanks!

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 16, 2018

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

jokes posted:

If you never play a Rockstar game online then yeah they seem pretty consumer-friendly.

Tbf RDR2 has sucked up 50+ hours of my life in single player alone and I've not done any of the side hunting/fishing/bounty hunting poo poo. I've just finished chapter 6 and Suddenly there's a whole extra third of the map open and now I'm John Marston with a bunch more missions to do.

If I never touch the online I've already had my money's worth in the actual sense, not the sunk cost Fallout 76 defending sense.

I don't think I wanna play online anyway because all I expect is an endless cycle of having my horse killed so I have to run somewhere miles away to get another horse, and I'm ok with never experiencing that.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Magmarashi posted:

He's exceptionally good at boning down

"If you ignore the parts where they are lovely with their product, they're actually consumer-friendly" is some real galaxy brain hot poo poo

At least you get a fully working AAA single player experience for your money? It's not like they sell their online games as a separate product and then nickel and dime the poo poo out of you on top.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Vanilla with just the mod that replaces the bad mass effect dialog system with the one from 3/NV is a perfectly fine way to play the game, imo.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bethesda game in “held together by hopes and wishes” shocker

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I started playing 76 and it seems alright except everything I kill with a ranged weapon seems to take an extra shot to actually die once I deplete its health bar

Not sure what that’s about

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Just a basic automatic rifle, nothing particularly exotic. I’m only level 20 something. I tend not to just hold the trigger down and hose things because lol ammo so it makes it stand out more that I’m getting off bursts which should definitely be killing things but they all need an extra click to actually die.

Edit: also seems like it’s depending on each click of the mouse being a ‘new’ attack maybe?

I’ll fire off a quick burst of 3-4 rounds and even if the first 2 rounds deplete the enemy health bar completely the last 1-2 rounds just do nothing and it still requires a followup tap.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 16, 2024

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

So mad at all the fantasy weenies clamouring for more elder scrolls when they could be working on another mediocre fallout game instead

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That’s actually pretty good lol

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

pmchem posted:

Fallout lore question, mega spoilers for TV series:
i forget was it already canon that vault tec started the nuclear war? or was that new in the tv show? if it was from the games where was it introduced?

No, that’s new. the games have always left it vague when it comes up or had conflicting theories

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

...Then why are you playing an RPG

I wasn’t aware that “one save only permadeath hard mode” was a definitive RPG feature, feels like a lot of games that claim to be RPGs actually aren’t and someone should look into these many decades of false advertising

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Oh for sure if you like it by all means go nuts, it’s just loving wild that someone would respond to “I don’t enjoy this type of play” with “well why do you even play (genre that isn’t even remotely defined by this type of play) :smuggo:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

3 and NV already run fine on modern OSes

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Should have just bought the collectors edition, they already solved that problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Isn’t 4’s graphics settings all in game? I don’t remember having a separate launcher thing.