Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Jan-u-wine Anti-queues!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wolfsheim posted:

I love the lottery winner, that guy's boundless optimism combined with Boxcars' pessimism makes them the two powder gangers I leave alive every play through.

That star bottlecaps guy, though? He's getting shot in the face.

Both of them I hope.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They made everyone look at their character models before doing the voice work and everyone matches perfectly with the lemon eaters of the Mojave desert

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arcsquad12 posted:

Seriously why is the DLC for fallout 4 still being sold at full price. It costs more than the base game.

They're A/B testing you paying the same price for a game+dlc regardless.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This studios previous experience was making the online multiplayer for Doom 2016

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
bethesda could make a lot of money if they optimized all their games and fixed bugs

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A vault filled with nerds who have deep opinions on lore they had no hand in creating

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

catlord posted:

Although I personally still dream of Fallout: Louisiana.

Wow that jazz mutant dropped 3 trombones.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MJBuddy posted:

Mole Nutria, Crawfish Mirelurks, and normal gators.

And the Loup Garou.

E: actually the way I'd love to see this done is that Lousiana was never bombed but tons of radiation poured in down the river, so 200 years in the future the Brotherhood shows up in New Orleans in shock at how bad everything looks and the locals tell them to go gently caress themselves.

"Oh my God did they just nuke every road with tiny tactical nukes?"

"Those are potholes."

"Why are is there a parade of Super Mutants being cheered?"

"Oh the Saints just won the Super Bowl"

Throw in a Fouke Monster and you've got my childhood

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

American Propaganda

lol yeah i mean its pretty normal american propaganda of "war"

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol if you have to meltdown about video games, something ive done multiple times

this is exactly the same thing that bungie does with destiny, and its fine. if bethesda is good on drops and duplicates and poo poo, then go for it

capitalism baby theyll probably just close down when they dont meet some billionaires crypto currency investment in them

Siljmonster fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 28, 2018

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arcsquad12 posted:

Find me a premium online game that costs $60-80 up front before you can even play. There's more of a gray area for freemium games but it has no place in AAA releases.

the managers in all those companies that do this dont care

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MariusLecter posted:

Yea, bow to the corporate overlords in the games industry!

Everyone's doin it.

lol games are going to have bitcoin in it soon

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lmao this game is made of dog turds

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bleusilences posted:

Seems like the tick rate is low or the servers are overloaded.

lol melee is still terrible thanks to just being FO4

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Brother Entropy posted:

i never played fo4 so i'm having a real hard time judging what the percentages of 'streamers are bad at aiming' vs 'aiming in this stinks' are

lol its the controls

i hope melee is tied to both framerate caps and server ticks

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
loving these streams of people searching through empty containers reminds me of DayZ

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
this game has:

jumping puzzles
1 meter fall damage detection
terrible dungeon layouts
lag
empty containers
melee damage tied to framerate
containers with a single wrench in them
large swaths of nothing

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
QA: 0 dollars
Multiplayer testing: 0 dollars
Combined managers salaries: 100,000,000 dollars
Engine upgrades: 0 dollars

someone please help me our game is falling apart

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Agent355 posted:

Spend less on manager's salaries?

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
hahahahaha still having horizontal frame drops cmon Bethesda its been 20 years

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ymgve posted:

So apparently if a teammate gets a wanted tag, you can shoot them, but they can't retaliate because you're their teammate. Then you can kill them and get the bounty.

Bethesda!

Ultima Online had exploits like this at launch with the bounty system

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Donovan Trip posted:

Hellgate: London levels of hubris here. But that game had NPCs!

time to buy a spread in Maxim, Bethesda

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

2 hours of QA time, great job Bethesda youre doing awwesome

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Spacedad posted:

Todd Howard said straight-up he wants the players to break the game as much as possible early after launch.

We're basically getting an early-access triple-A game here. If you know what you're getting into (like me) then go for it. Otherwise, you can always hold off until they patch the major problems.

For me I'm willing to put up with even game-breaking jank just to play a fallout bethesda game with pals.

You got scammed

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

gathering trash is not a fun gameplay loop

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
fallout 4 was garbage and im glad i got that game for free

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tenzarin posted:

I have to pay $60 bucks for this trash and install the bethseda game poo poo that only will have 2 games on it?

welcome to game development

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Azhais posted:

Have any of the streams shown high end energy weapons yet?

pipe pistols are the only thing in the game currently sorry

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SwitchbladeKult posted:

From what I understand, Bethesda games use quite a bit of CPU power on the large number of physics objects the player can fiddle with.

No, it's unoptimized trash.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tei posted:

You don't always have to optimize everything

Like that example a few pages ago (menus checked for buildiables). Is unoptimized yes, but work ok for the stock game. It somewhat break with mods, but the shipped game was fine.

The strategy "optimize everything" leads to early optimization, that is a bigger demon than unoptimized stuff.

They should optimize their engine so it can run on modern hardware without crashing to the desktop every 30 minutes due to memory leaks and stop relying on their fans and modders to fix everything because without source code nothing actually gets fixed its just slapping more and more unoptimized trash on top of each other.

None of the Bethesda (including FNV) engine games have been ok at launch.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tei posted:

You are talking about the whole engine, and I am talking about parts of it.

The mission of the engine, the faster the better. But how you get there, theres different ways and strategies, and the strategy to "optimize everything" is the most poor possible.

Optimized code is harder to read, harder to change, harder to debug, harder to rewrite. Unoptimized code with a naive approach are easier to replace with a better version.

Also optimized about what? memory consumation? cpu consumation? There are strategies of optimization that use more memory to save CPU, theres strategies of optimization that uses more CPU to save memory. Before you know what you want to optimize and where you want to optimize, is stupid to optimize.

And how much faster you can go? if you are already very fast, it may take a gigantic effort to be a tiny bit faster. The rule of dimishing returns. Sometimes the only way to go forward is to burn the entire house and build a new one. So before you optimize something, you need to look around you, ask people, look at the whole picture, and act smart.

People buying pets for a zoo need to save money on the elephants, not on the mouses. If the mouses cost 2$, and you optimize 50% the cost of moses, you pay 1$ for mouse. Great, you save 1$ from your budget. If your elephants cost 100000$ and you get a 10% optimization, you save 1000$ for elephant. Where you optimize can be more important than how much you optimize.

You literally make no sense.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BillyC posted:

Fallout 76 is a game.

We live in a video game society.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SplitSoul posted:

Their QA managed to let an FNV release bug slip through that deleted your cloud savegames.

They dont do QA at all.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tei posted:

Modders fixing something the original devs missed don't mean the original devs are uncaring. Just that something slipped through the leaks.

The devs didnt "miss" anything. They didnt do QA. They dont fix or optimize their engine. They dont fix bugs.

Because they want the free labor of other people doing it for them.

But they never learn their mistakes.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tei posted:

If you look at any software bug trackng system you will find devs fixed hundred of bugs. Even if they fixed 9000 bugs some may remain undetected.

Cool, if only Bethesda used bug tracking systems and fixed bugs.

but in 6 years of my career I made thousands of tickets for QA to track and complete with all the poo poo I designed in games. Guess what we didnt hire enouigh QA to find and fix all the bugs all the time so I spent countless hours making sure every test case was found so we didnt release with huge game ending inbalances or breaks in gameplay loops and managers still let extreme cases go out live and it loving BROKE OUR GAME MULTIPLE TIMES.

We actually hired someone to optimize our game, and guess what it ran better and didnt crash and didnt throw up errors when we fixed memory leaks.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Bethesda, a company with 0 live operated multiplayer game experience decided to launch a multiplayer live operated game.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Golden Bee posted:

I get the feeling that, considering the state of the game industry, the team was given not enough time to do what they needed to. Plans to start from stage one were ignored, people worked under crunch and now they will release the game so that they can reach the state of having released it.

Keeping people around out of loyalty is a good thing to do for them in a bad thing to do to a CodeBase.

But the hundreds of managers had an easy time.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Paul Zuvella posted:

People buying pets for zoos

Its free optimization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tei posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Program_optimization#Bottlenecks

In bold a sentence that is basically what I said. Then Donald Knuth seems to agree with my idea that optimizing everything is a bad idea. If I am wrong, I am on the same boat Donald Knuth, so at least I am on the right boat.

lmao