Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I remember playing Fallout 2 (after buying it at Egghead Software) when it came out and running into a bug where the entire city of Gecko went hostile because I'd been to Vault City

Some of the writing was cringeworthy but it's impressive that a team of around ten young people produced the game in such a short deadline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Fintilgin posted:

Oh yeah.

Like New Vegas is superior in just about every respect, but Vegas really felt underehelming and sort of fake/tiny. Cool set building and explorable spaces was the only thing Bethesda had over Obsidian. I imagine a lot of that was budget, team size, and experience with the engine, though.

I think the issue with this had a lot to do with optimizing for consoles. I thought my new suite at the Lucky 38 was sweet until I realized getting back there meant 4 loading screens whereas my lovely Novac motel room only needed one

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

chitoryu12 posted:

I think optimizing for consoles and dealing with Bethesda's lovely engine was the reason for Vegas in general being so tiny. Freeside was originally going to be a single huge area full of people, but they had to divide it in half and make it underpopulated to avoid crashing.

Yeah if I recall correctly a lot of the problems werent due to Gamebryo itself as a lot of people like to think but that Bethesda had Frankensteined the thing and things broke (insert Radium and the forums joke here).

I thought New Vegas was no better or worse in terms of stability than other games but maybe I was lucky

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

DeathChicken posted:

Most people started playing it after it got enough patches to not die if a butterfly sneezed within ten miles of your PC.

I bought it release day so yeah it was rough at first but thats been my experience with every Fallout game on release (never played 4)

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah I remember from the first trailer when it showed a city skyline of the city it looked way bigger and lit up than what we got (granted that's the difference between a cutscene trailer and the actual game) Another thing I have problems with is how there are too many places where it doesn't make sense that its trashed, like the NOVAC hotel rooms could at least look semi clean and not on the verge of collapse.

Well Boone blew Jeannie May Crawford's head off so there was no room cleaning service

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I gotta say it was great when I finally got a dress for Veronica and she was so happy about it

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Randaconda posted:

The good karma ending for OWB where you keep everybody alive is one of my favorite game endings. :yaycloud:

:agreed:

I loved that all your upgraded friends in your house cheered when you came back - don't know if that happens if you decide to kill the Think Tank or Möbius

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I've beaten FO2 a bunch and never had issues with companions being useless. A) Give them all gauss rifles or gauss pistols (and their mid-game equivalents). B) do not give them pancor jackhammers or machine guns. Edit: C) Pray Sulik doesn't knock an enemy off-screen.

What's the dealio?

I always end up with Cassidy with a sniper rifle and Sulik with a .223 pistol

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Late but they did a great job with the atmosphere in Point Lookout. Felt super hot and humid and muggy

Walking around in New Vegas never game me a sense of it being hot (or wishing for a nuclear winter)

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Every time I've played Fallout 2 it ended up in a long slog of hitting Frank Horrigan with a critical to the eyes for only 4 points damage with the gauss rifle over and over

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
One of the best things about Fallout 2 was going back to the north section of the map and getting ambushed by highwaymen after getting good gear after being afraid of them early on

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
CASM is the only essential New Vegas mod

So glad I found that after twice having to start over from scratch because my saved game file got corrupted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
The respawning enemies in OWB were the worst

*clears out a building and exits*
Haha gently caress you here’s eight nightstalkers