Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Suspicious Dish posted:

eh most of it was people posting about houses and trains rather than tech bubbles

Amazon built those Cool spheres from portal 2 and put plants in them but they won't pay for healthcare for their warehouse employees

Pretty sure Amazon's New health insurance thing will lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
tech bauble

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hey new chat and shitposting thread

i mean tech bubel thread, how could i mix that up silly me

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
michaelsoft techbublé

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
techbubb.le 4.51 - people are laying into uber

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

atomicthumbs posted:

that thread was four years old. it belongs in a museum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XfWxeszXEI&t=74s

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:thejoke:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

atomicthumbs posted:

that thread was four years old. it belongs in a grave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XfWxeszXEI&t=77s

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

that is still one of the best backstory intros i've ever seen, i remember seeing it in the theater when it came out and being all "gently caress yeah this is gonna rule"

covers all the bases with the perfect segue.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
michael “tech” buble

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

baublin'

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

more like sec gently caress thread

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

second floor

when's our first urban planning derail?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
not coming from me. I’m on vacation and I promised not to piss myself off with talk of such things.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/apwestregion/status/958128337464913920

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

honey that's called a garden not a "corporate space"

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

so do the men with shockrods show up if a warehouse worker tries to get in?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

employees are stored in the balls

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

so do the men with shockrods show up if a warehouse worker tries to get in?

i picture it like the andromeda strain, where everyone in blue jumpsuit zone freaks out if they see someone with a red one on

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
how are things going with "shroud of the avatar", richard garriotts giant crowdfunded comeback game?

forums poster The Agent posted:

After a lot of telethons -- including the sale of vials of Richard Garriott's blood, $50 asset flip outhouses and Star Citizen crossover blimps -- Portalarium is launching Shroud of the Avatar on March 27th, 2018. To do this, they needed another round of investing (like, real investing from SeedInvest) and they needed some publishers, too (rumor is the whole reason they needed another $500k+ is because they are woefully behind on shipping physical merch -- except for a crappy $7,000 map of the game world someone bought. Yes, you are reading that right. $7,000 for a cheap map that's worse than something outta an old D&D goldbox game).

Their major new publisher is Travian Games, a studio based out of Germany. Their other, kinda-sorta-not-really-announced-but-yes-they-are-working-with-us publisher is Black Sun Gaming, a studio located in Russia. Travian is at the heart of the new controversy, but in order to understand that, you have to understand the Real Money Transaction (RMT) based economy Shroud of the Avatar currently has.

The RMT player marketplace allows you to sell everything from land deeds and gold for real money. Some people have put in tens of thousands of dollars trying to be the next tycoon of the game. The last big problem with this was when Dev+ accounts (think Evocati) were allowed to see changes to the game economy long before the average player. They used this information to their advantage several times, finding out on the closed test server when certain items would become more or less rare, then buying or selling these items on the live server before the changes. At one point this became so lucrative, Dev+ accounts were going for upwards of $40,000. Yes: $40,000.

The RMT idea wasn't born out of some necessity or sprang up due to player influence -- Richard Garriott was talking about Bitcoin and the real money value of digital goods in regards to Shroud way back in 2013. Personally, I think he had a huge push from Turbulent (oh, yes, by the way, our favorite Canadian dev house from Star Citizen runs the funding for Shroud of the Avatar) to make this happen. If you didn't know, both Star Citizen's and Shroud's marketing ideas come directly from Turbulent; sorry, Sandi.

One of the latest issues with RMT was a player selling powerleveling services -- this now goes directly into the RMT issue and why I mentioned Shroud is currently melting the gently caress down. This player advertised his services as developer sanctioned, which a developer then confirmed in 2017. All was fine until earlier this month when a Travian dev stated that this was not allowed and walked back the approval. After a few high profile leaks from Dev+ accounts, the big rumor now is that all RMTs will be banned because Travian doesn't want to deal with the international rules for digital good trading (if you haven't looked into it, it's an absolute loving mess. Selling a player something is easy; having that player turn around and sell it on your own marketplace to another player begins to cause you an endless amount of legal headaches).

Well, it turns out that a lot of people are only in this for the RMT and are losing their loving minds. One person I know has almost $75,000 worth of digital items they are trying to sell -- but the market isn't biting. That amount isn't uncommon, either; several sellers are listing items for upwards for $10,000 or $20,000.

The Portalarium devs, of course, are telling everyone not to worry, that an update to the EULA is coming soon which makes it clear that all RMTs are fine and dandy. People are waiting to see exactly what that entails, but after years of lies and broken promises, a lot of high profile backers are trying to dump their entire stock -- including their prized Dev+ accounts -- to no avail.
oh

taken from the star citizen thread

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

ah yes, the "list price equals value" canard, i do enjoy watching that one do the thing

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/missouri-hyperloop-coalition-announces-feasibility-study-along-i-70-route posted:

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Travelling from Kansas City to St. Louis in less than 30 minutes might sound like science fiction, but the possibility of bringing a hyperloop route to Missouri took a big step forward Tuesday.

The Missouri Hyperloop Coalition announced they are moving forward with a feasibility study of a hyperloop route along I-70 that would connect Kansas City, Columbia, and St. Louis.

“It is one of the best we’ve seen,” said Dan Katz from Virgin Hyperloop One.

Katz was in Kansas City for the announcement. He added that the existing and relatively straight I-70 corridor is a big plus.

“It is really a common sense route. You’ve got a state with two very large cities and a university in between and a very straight, nice alignment," he said.

What is Hyperloop?

Virgin Hyperloop One officials said passengers would travel in a pod through a low pressure tube and could reach speeds of more than 600 mph.

Virgin Hyperloop One recently left the Kansas City to St. Louis route out of their top contenders worldwide but now they are taking another look.

“What we’ve seen in Missouri has just been incredible between the government, the business community, and the tech community coming together to say ‘Hey, we’re ready to make this a reality.’ It got our attention,” Katz said.

Engineering firm Black & Veatch, headquartered in Kansas City, will lead the study.

“We’re looking forward to bringing our experience from doing large projects all over the world to something right here in our back yard,” said David Leligdon of Black & Veatch.

One of the factors the study will focus on is estimating cost.

“There are certainly times when tunneling may make sense, so looking at the cost of tunneling,” Leligdon said.

“That the power consumption needs can be met, that you can actually fit the infrastructure along the highway in a safe way,” Katz added. “You also want to make sure that there’s going to be appropriate demand for the system, that people would use it.”

Katz said Virgin Hyperloop One is taking part in three feasibility studies this year in the U. S., as well as some others around the world.

The coalition said it hopes the seven- to nine-month study will be done around Thanksgiving 2018.

Katz said Virgin Hyperloop One could choose their top three routes as early as 2019.

The Missouri Hyperloop Coalition includes partnerships between Virgin Hyperloop One, Black & Veatch, the University of Missouri System, the Missouri Department of Transportation, St. Louis Regional Chamber, and the KC Tech Council.

reminder, missouri has horrendous roads

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

mighty gently caress just build a goddamn TRAIN

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
well, even that would be kind of dumb, because afaik nobody really needs to go between kansas city and st louis on a regular commuter-style basis

like musk dreams half this crap up because he wants nice private-y fast ways between Malibu and LA/SF

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

lancemantis posted:

well, even that would be kind of dumb, because afaik nobody really needs to go between kansas city and st louis on a regular commuter-style basis

one of the problems developing rail routes is that you don't necessarily know what demand exists until the route is already built and people get to experiment with it

lots of things that would be practical with a $10 ticket to a train that leaves every hour don't work at all with a $200 commuter jet that leaves twice a day

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Cat Face Joe posted:

mighty gently caress just build a goddamn TRAIN

and rub elbows with commoners

i don't think so tim

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Cat Face Joe posted:

employees are stored in the balls

heh

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

no resident of missouri can fit inside a hyperloop tube anyway

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

flakeloaf posted:

i picture it like the andromeda strain, where everyone in blue jumpsuit zone freaks out if they see someone with a red one on

more like Paranoia

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
and again, just to make clear, i'd kill any one of you if it meant a rail line from madison to chicago

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i think the reason we keep having urban planning and train derails is that tech billionaires are loving nerds

sooner or later every tech multi-billionaire wants to wreck somebody's downtown or build a train. it's just inevitable. and then we talk about it

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

no resident of missouri can fit inside a hyperloop tube anyway

well then you wouldn't even need the car to ensure a perfect seal, just grease 'em up and send them on down the line.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

and again, just to make clear, i'd kill any one of you if it meant a rail line from madison to chicago

it super sucks that the legs on the midwest highspeed rail projects are forever gone

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a $10 ticket to a train

an hour slower (e: each way), $30 more expensive AND i get there without a car

fuckin sign me up yo

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 31, 2018

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i just learned that light rail is illegal in Indiana lmfao midwest

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Xaris posted:

holy fuckin poo poo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

flakeloaf posted:

an hour slower, $30 more expensive AND i get there without a car

fuckin sign me up yo

ottowa <=> toronto is saturated and they can charge premium rates

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Xaris posted:

part of their pitch for amazon was that theyd waive that law for rails running to and from hq2

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I’m glad indiana is around because it gives michiganians somewhere to look down on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Xaris posted:

a quick google suggests the state legislature was trying to force a federally funded rail project in indianapolis to use an existing heavy rail RoW

being indiana, i'm sure their goal was to receive kickbacks from whoever owns the RoW.

remember, kids: it's not corruption if it's not illegal.