Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i think the reason we keep having urban planning and train derails is that tech billionaires are loving nerds

sooner or later every tech multi-billionaire wants to wreck somebody's downtown or build a train. it's just inevitable. and then we talk about it

when I’m a billionaire I’m going to build a ski lift over the existing freeways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
to save everybody else the time: it is 250 miles (~400km) from st louis to kansas city

so the crh3c, the 350km/hr train on the shanghai-to-beijing bullet service, ought to be able to do this trip in about 80 minutes including acceleration, and is actual existing technology you can just buy from siemens

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
im pretty sure the last new passenger train service built in missouri is the little street-level tram in kansas city to take people from the parking garage at union station to the bars in the power and lights district a short distance away

and thats probably all it will ever be able to do

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ottowa <=> toronto is saturated and they can charge premium rates

yow<=>ytz is not and porter only wants like, $30 more to make the same trip in an hour

granted, airport misery is way more miserable than trainport misery, but still

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cat Face Joe posted:

mighty gently caress just build a goddamn TRAIN

here is why elon wants to build a hyperloop seven million feet underground

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherman%27s_neckties

so proles can't gently caress it up.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
fortunately any prole can destroy the hyperloop with america's most common tool, the gun

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
how are you going to find the one or one dozen bullet holes letting the air into your evacuated train tube

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

this should prob be the OP but i guess it works here on page three too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbaqRte7jYE

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
lol wait isnt there a train that goes from chicago to south bend wtf

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

we recently had a city hall meeting event thing where Rich Owner of Local Sports Team Man told everyone that our public transit was terrible and our bus system especially was "shameful"

even that they had to sell as "don't worry we don't want to get rid of cars!!!!" over and over

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

one of the problems developing rail routes is that you don't necessarily know what demand exists until the route is already built and people get to experiment with it

lots of things that would be practical with a $10 ticket to a train that leaves every hour don't work at all with a $200 commuter jet that leaves twice a day

why on earth would the ticket price for a line clear across Missouri be $10 absent massive subsidies Missouri would never have

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

atomicthumbs posted:

how are you going to find the one or one dozen bullet holes letting the air into your evacuated train tube

Easy, you just look at the point where the massive implosion of the entire line started

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

that is still one of the best backstory intros i've ever seen, i remember seeing it in the theater when it came out and being all "gently caress yeah this is gonna rule"

covers all the bases with the perfect segue.

Yeah, I wish that Young Indiana Jones had respected the movie cannon more.

:(

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

muckswirler posted:

No. Scabs would scoop up all dev jobs immediately. There's no loyalty in tech.

we’re also too feckless to really try; given the impact on an organization devs have “Waah waah my boss is abusing me” is getting old

but also there’s India, Eastern Europe, and an entire ecosystem of contract labor, and yes, some of my H-1B coworkers don’t wanna work for MS because such and such sociopathic manager can terminate them at any time and they have weeks to find a job before heading back. Drump ain’t helping, either

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

enjoying the replies to that thread almost universally making GBS threads on amazon and bezos

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Cat Face Joe posted:

employees are stored in the balls

unless they're shafted and fired by some dick head

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
It’s a landmark designed to be Space Needle levels of iconic, but also essentially private to Amazons and other pre-arranged private groups.

their campus is built in a former warehouse district with bad traffic to begin with, but add in a mess of office towers...

and of course there’s this
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/puget-sounds-homeless-crisis-pushes-911-beyond-its-design/

so do the men with shockrods show up if a warehouse worker tries to get in?

that’s what Knightscopes are for, why waste human capital?

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 31, 2018

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Coffee Jones posted:

It’s a landmark designed to be Space Needle levels of iconic, but also essentially private to Amazons and other pre-arranged private groups.

their campus is built in a former warehouse district with bad traffic to begin with, but add in a mess of office towers...

and of course there’s this
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/puget-sounds-homeless-crisis-pushes-911-beyond-its-design/

that’s what Knightscopes are for, why waste human capital?

The Space Needle is also in a fairly large park with other attractions and activities nearby and is visible from many places in the city. Bezos' Balls are crammed downtown in between two Amazon skyscrapers and a strip club.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
is it an amazon strip club?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

so who else got one of those ‘you interacted with a russian bot’ emails? i just got one

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
wtf are you doing on the internet?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

unless they're shafted and fired by some dick head

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Rex-Goliath posted:

so who else got one of those ‘you interacted with a russian bot’ emails? i just got one

from bird yeller? i got one

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
heh.

jeff ballzos.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

lancemantis posted:

is it an amazon strip club?

no snu snu in the champagne room

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Sapozhnik posted:

enjoying the replies to that thread almost universally making GBS threads on amazon and bezos

'pos twitter is hot today

https://twitter.com/CatFace_Joe/status/958753168728477696

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sapozhnik posted:

good:
https://twitter.com/paleofuture/status/958769730734637056

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
*hides in the supply closet and makes jerkoff motions for eight hours.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
the balls are right near my office and they're ugly

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

turn your monitor on. lol.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

here's how loving stupid and naive i am: i read that and initially went "oh so they can keep track of who's doing too many repetitive movements and prevent injury, neat" :sigh:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

ate all the Oreos posted:

here's how loving stupid and naive i am: i read that and initially went "oh so they can keep track of who's doing too many repetitive movements and prevent injury, neat" :sigh:

oh to be so innocent with eyes full of hope again instead of miserable and jaded

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

oh to be so innocent with eyes full of hope again instead of miserable and jaded

i vacillate between the two outlooks. best (worst) of both worlds.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ate all the Oreos posted:

it might be used for this purpose!

(to defend against RSI claims)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
normal brain: amazon is helping americans deal with rsi
expanding brain: amazon is using this to track workers
universe brain: amazon will soon replace DC employees with robots controlled by outsourced tech workers overseas, helping americans deal with rsi

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I didn't realize "Autofac" was a documentary

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
more on amazon,that fashy panopticon job grovel thing is being normalized

i applied for a job at Ping Identity (no qualms about calling them out) and the first step was a purposely un-completable skills assessment in which I had to be on camera the whole time as their AI algorithms deduced my stress levels and nonverbal communication

I, of course, noped the gently caress out of that one.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

That wristband will be connected to a TENS unit that only allows you to grasp the correct item and punches you in the genitals if you veer too far from the track or slow down.

Also good on ya. gently caress cameras in an interview.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Jonny 290 posted:

here is why elon wants to build a hyperloop seven million feet underground

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherman%27s_neckties

so proles can't gently caress it up.

One has to wonder how an underground transportation system is going to work in one of the most geologically active areas in the planet

Hey, maybe one of the tunnel drillers might set off "The Big One"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

You Am I posted:

Hey, maybe one of the tunnel drillers might set off "The Big One"

more proof that he’s actually a super villain.