Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

well if it exists at all, and it must, somewhere has to be the place where it happens most

canada's got two: "the entire north" because all per capita crime rates up there are just bonkers, and the saguenay, which is no surprise because the hells run it and there some initiation rites undercover cops just won't do

uh I'd like to get sources on saguenay because I live there and have never heard of any poo poo like that. In fact Saguenay's been in the top 10 safest cities in Canada a bunch of times in the last 10 years. The Hells used to own most of the main street in Jonquiere but have mostly been kicked out and their last bunker has been destroyed around 2005. They still have members around (mostly directed from Trois-Rivières) but usually what everyone hears is just about drugs and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

"census metropolitan area" naturally excludes whatever rural backwater actually has the highest rate; also that's per capita

https://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/85-002-x/2014001/article/14008-eng.htm

no surprise that four of the top five locations are places where bikers have a good toehold

Oh alright. Looking back at the 'safest cities' lists those are mostly about violent offenses/murder rates so the stats don't contradict. I also thought the discussion had to do with human trafficking, but those are sexual offenses as a whole (far less than 5% have to do with sexual exploitation)

I think it might be disingenuous to blame sexual offenses overall on the Hells having a toehold to be honest. I wouldn't be surprised if part of it had to do with sexism and irresponsible drinking culture for example, or just plain old lovely rural areas living up to their stereotypes.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Yeah, I mean looking at sex crimes against minors, I wouldn't be surprised if the priests actually did more harm than the Hells there. One priest in particular has been having a very public trial after finding out he had abused 39 children on his own on a period of 20+ years.

FrozenVent posted:

the joke around quebec is that in saguenay, cousins and sisters are ok because there's not much choice otherwise, so... yeah...

or wait was that lac st-jean? whichever's the place where there's like two last names (Tremblay and Tremblay) and there's a genetic disorder that only occurs in that specific area

It used to be true, in that most of the region of Saguenay Lac-St-Jean was founded by 21 families a couple of centuries ago and so genetic diversity was not super high. This has changed in the last few generations and nowadays the consanguinity rates are on par with the rest of the province or country, but genetically speaking the damage was already done many generations ago and few recessive genes causing multiple diseases are still widespread.

People can get genetic testing for free if they're from two families of the region to prevent this -- even if you and your partner are from families that have been distinct for 3-4 generations you might still be a carrier -- and to avoid passing it on. The tests are made available in a wider area of the province this year I believe because, well, people moved out and those genes are now making it to a wider population basin within the province. It's probably a bit similar to the icelandic app that lets you know if you could accidentally be dating cousins or something.

But back to techbubble: the FCC repeal stuff became official for real or something?

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 23, 2018

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/military-powerpoint-karaoke-tickets-42882404426#tickets this looks amazing

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

how many people have you seen on the road driving into a heavy snowstorm when they probably shouldn't have? in a flying car their wings and prop iced up and everyone died.

its me im the dead snow driver

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

countries without net neutrality may bundle unlimited facebook in terms of bandwidth but charge you up the rear end for any site or content not in their plan fwiw so it's not entirely ridiculous

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

fishmech posted:

net neutrality does not prevent anyone from doing this, fyi.

It does in Canada at least.

don't @ me

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

fishmech posted:

That isn't net neutrality

It quite literally is net neutrality.

Here's a wikipedia source interleaved with the legal ruling so you can feel at home:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_neutrality posted:

Net neutrality is the principle that governments should mandate Internet service providers to treat all data on the Internet the same, and not discriminate or charge differently by user, content, website, platform, application, type of attached equipment, or method of communication.

ruling posted:

The Commission finds that Quebecor Media Inc., Videotron Ltd., and Videotron G.P. (collectively, Videotron) are acting in violation of subsection 27(2) of the Telecommunications Act by exempting the Unlimited Music program from data charges. Subsection 27(2) prohibits Canadian carriers from giving an undue or unreasonable preference to themselves or any other person, or subjecting any person to an undue or unreasonable disadvantage. Videotron is giving an undue preference to subscribers who access the Unlimited Music program and to the providers whose services are included in that program, and is subjecting providers and consumers of other content and services to a corresponding undue disadvantage.

Look, it's even in the wikipedia section for net neutrality in Canada
And it has widely been quoted as being related to net neutrality by media like CBC, Financial Post, Global News, and so on.

I'm going to leave it at this. You're free to respond back, but I won't engage again and derail this thread further.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

E: answering to old as hell post

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Apple holding a keynote proclaiming the death of computers and all y’all can talk about are vegans smdh

1. all stats have shown that mobile has overtaken computers for years already for all kinds of usage, more particularly the web so there's nothing new there
2. anybody who needs a computer for their work and needs to do things like "handle files" knows they'll keep a computer to do that anyway because a tablet or mobile is a stupid rear end form factor to do that and while peripherals can help, a thing like iOS is way too locked in to do a bunch of stuff
3. lol a crayon

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

i don’t know the rat trap seems effective, let all the rats die and just use it again next time a shipment comes in

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

i too love to pick colors most colorblind people can't discern easily for safety signals

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

no, i'm jasper

Oh hey I have killer car recruiting too

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

here let me define software engineering in exactly 100 characters:

- we can't operate the system safely, what should we do?
- dunno, let it run without safe operations

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

the last cab driver I had in SF a couple of months ago complained about the total lack of background checks on uber drivers, and then proceeded to tell me about how he recently spent a few weeks in jail for "beating up a bum that had smashed his cab's window" before the cops arrested him, and how much of a shame it is that americans can no longer protect their own property. The strong eastern european accent made it kind of better.

E: he also complained about the presence of video cameras in his lovely apartment complex (as he described it) where his girlfriend apparently got assaulted on multiple occasions by people breaking and entering. The cameras made him feel like they no longer had freedoms anymore, and it was big-brother like and felt like a prison.

anyway that's my uber vs. cab drivers story for the day.

(I had a cabbie who picked me up at the SFO airport once, and asked if I could pay him in drugs. Not the best place for someone to just be carrying drugs but welp)

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 1, 2018

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I’m assuming he was into cutting the middleman out

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

what if this relationship was meant to happen and by ridiculing it elon musk will punish you

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

every time I buy water I feel like the biggest idiot because everyone has it on tap for free

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

you gotta speed through school zone so your car is a threat for a shorter period of time tho

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

The best thing going for the Last Man on Earth was a bunch of good sequences of awkward uncomfortable scenes if you're into that stuff, but that wasn't enough to carry a show on its own entirely.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

there’s at least one scene where they hit a beach full of body bags

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I’m super pumped every time there’s 200 new posts and I think Elon Musk murdered a union rep but it turns out nbsd is just once again extrapolating from his own narrow personal experience and aggressively swearing up and down that no other experiences exist in the world, and if they do then they don’t matter.

Only to go “oh that branch of banking, no I don’t know that one, I’m only familiar with that other branch” in the same bit and not picking up on the irony.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

re: clothes and poo poo

one of my little joys in a business setting is wearing my watch and having some watch enthusiasts spot it and get interested in what it is and who makes it only to reveal it's a $15 shoe store watch that came with 3 wristbands and most dials on it are fake.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

is not going to an ivy league school in the US going to cripple your job prospects seriously for a long time?

Like can you make an analysis that goes "you'll lose 20k/y in prospective wages by not getting $150k in unforgiveable debt by going to a community college" and then figure out when you'd break even?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I went to one scouts meeting as a kid since a friend invited me. I hoped it’d be survival poo poo and learning to make fires and it turned out to be 1 hour of knots interleaved with prayer stuff so I never went back.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

keyboard vomit posted:

Knotting is important

9 year old me didn't give a poo poo also all that praying between knots creeped me out

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

you're the first person to have noticed this in like... Six months holy poo poo lol

JawnV6 posted:

i've basically copied that av for everything else, apparently twitter still has my original. how loving long has it been like that..

Just a bit over 5 months.

That was still a long-sleeping $10.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

both the :10bux: and the edit :toot:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I'm kind of loving how software engineering's best practices being transferred to the physical world all look so god drat insane

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

80% all the time and other permanent rebates are actually an illegal practice here and the way some shops go about it is that they have something similar to happy hours where like 4-9 pm gives you 40% off but if you go during dead hours, it's full price.

interesting tactic.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

muckswirler posted:

jack is 41 and he looks like poo poo. don't be evil it's bad for your complexion.

worked well for Jeff Bezos

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

the only people who stay in shorts at or below freezing points are folks with hormone imbalances who can only feel heat, ladies going through menopause (pretty much same as last category), poor and homeless people who can't afford jackets, and dipshit tryhards who somehow equate "willingly freezing" with "display of courage" and are really into impressing random bystanders.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

also it's 9pm and you just remembered tomorrow is trash/recycling day, gotta wheel the bin to the side of the road and you can do it real quick with just boots and no additional clothes but then you kind of fastwalk back indoors because gently caress this

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

"tech being lovely leading to a crash? I wouldn't believe it"

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

still want to hear more about the military applications of the arctic

I think it's been covered already, but mostly it's been the quickest way for multiple parts of Russia to reach North America, so you may want some surveillance or presence there. There are frequent near-incursions from Russia into Canadian and American airspace to this day (it could be multiple times a year in 2014 and before, and they caught them trying once or twice in 2017 and 2018 iirc).

You've also got global warming shrinking the ices up north, and with various suspected oil resources, there's going to be more and more traffic up there, with the expectation that Russia will challenge Canada's claim on arctic waters more and more over the upcoming decades.

There's a military communications intercept and weather station in Alert, Canada, which is definitely falling into the arctic circle, and is the most northern permanently inhabited location in the world. It was used to intercept soviet communications. There's only a few ships that made it there in history, the rest of people reach it through a small landing strip and road (~6km):

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 20, 2018

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

my microwave is lovely and the buttons are all rubbing out so I now enter "1:30" as 90 seconds and other non-standard increments instead to save it a bit, but even then it's still degrading

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

now that I think about it it could be a protective film like on screens and poo poo and I never removed it

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

my bitter bi rival posted:

thats definitely what it looks like and im freaking out over your pic

At this point I've had it for like 10 years and I'm like "if it isn't a protective film and I remove it I may break the microwave more than it is right now" but I decided to take a chance and yeah I left the protective film on for ~10 years and now my microwave is like brand new.

It's sitting in a closed kitchen cabinet anyway so it wouldn't matter much but hey now it looks newer.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

graph posted:

peel that poo poo off and repost tia

E: I'm the adjusted kerning for defrost setting translations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

infernal machines posted:

wft. how is pizza the same in french?

goddammit quebec

we only translate english terms. Italian is fine.