Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
sweet, apple stock is down just in time for the espp period endpoint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
don't we all

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
to save everybody else the time: it is 250 miles (~400km) from st louis to kansas city

so the crh3c, the 350km/hr train on the shanghai-to-beijing bullet service, ought to be able to do this trip in about 80 minutes including acceleration, and is actual existing technology you can just buy from siemens

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

what? musk said the car would drive itself across the country, twice

woosh, i think

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
fish mech is right, internet contrarianism has rotted all your brains. there are a lot of negative points to make about self-driving cars. the technology is not ready yet. the technology is not really even close to being ready. even when it is ready, it might have major restrictions that limit its practical use for a long time. even if the technology was perfect, there are basic problems with individual car ownership that being self-driving doesn't magically solve. resource usage for construction. resource usage during operation. space usage for storage. space usage on the road. traffic. whatever else

none of that means that self-driving cars would, like, actually be really bad and nobody would ever want them

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

lancemantis posted:

the part of all of this that I like is that there is indeed an opportunity for vastly increased safety, that we can implement right now, coming out of all of this when you strip away all the marketing fluff

like a lot of things that are sold as ~autonomous~ were being sold as safety systems previously or within the same time frame before this whole tend took off -- dynamic cruise control, automated brakes for pedestrians and cars, lane departure prevention and alerts, blind spot monitors

even if you are the most attentive driver you only have two eyes and ears as your sensors in an environment that can quickly overload you; augmenting this with a bunch of additional equipment can really help improve situational awareness and lower the cognitive load, helping people be safer drivers

you already see this in a lot of marketing, mostly pushing the "you can feel more confident letting your idiot kids drive themselves around" angle

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
reminder that the djia is literally just the sum of its component stock prices with an arbitrary scale applied. the sole purpose of the scale is to make sure that the djia keeps the same total value after a component splits; there is no per-component weighting, so a stock that splits 2-1 just loses half its weight in the djia. the only way the djia could possibly be stupider is if it didn't have the scale at all so that it actually tanked on every split

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
these are neighborhoods full of owner-occupied single-family houses, and prop 13 is intact. nobody is being pushed out who already lives there. it's just that, when people do move out, the only people who can afford to move in are rich as gently caress

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Tankakern posted:

late post, but don't do this. distilled water is bad for you, fucks up your mineral levels (since distilled water doesn't have any)

i mean, it’s fine, just don’t do it long-term

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

lancemantis posted:

also i just noticed that the chart says "building rockets from scratch"

you know, from scratch meaning first trying to buy russian rockets and then when that fell apart, grabbing a bunch of experienced aerospace personnel in a timeline where NASA has been cut to ribbons

yes, the latter falls well within the accepted meaning of "from scratch", unless you are under the impression that people making a cake from scratch are required to first rediscover the chemistry of baking powder and how mixing flour with water forms glutenous strands

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

ate all the Oreos posted:

i made this cake from scratch by hiring a chef to make me a cake

oh poo poo, companies employ people to do labor, let me go update the world's economic models, nobody had any idea

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

more like i'm disrupting cake baking from scratch by conning the federal government bakelab administration into subcontracting me

this is also still making cakes from scratch

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

hifi posted:

the sarah jeong tweet of "hey guys is it bad to download the entire svn repo" and her article with "the core of the case seems to be in the 45 minutes the peanut gallery wasn't allowed to see the trade secrets" don't seem to line up

she’s saying that the public case was really weak because the closest thing google has to a smoking gun, the mis-sent email with the board layouts that were suspiciously like google’s, was apparently ruled to not relate to trade secrets, so all google has is this circumstantial evidence about repositories being copied. so maybe there was something stronger that was presented in secret. it’s totally unclear what trade secrets the case is actually still about except that if the repository copying is pertinent then it must be something that was checked in. also “copying the repository” seems to just mean “checking out the latest revision” and there’s a witness from google who’s on record saying that that’s pretty routine even for a manager who doesn’t directly contribute anymore

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

mrmcd posted:

I mean whether or not downloading the entire repo history is normal behavior for svn, he also then copied everything to a SD card.

yeah, and also made an encrypted archive of it and deleted the checkout. the case against levandowski, that he was at least giving himself the ability to steal the checkout, is pretty solid. the problem for google is proving that uber actually accepted and used the checkout

anyway, what happened post-checkout isn’t actually pertinent here. this came up at the trial because uber was trying to argue that google wasn’t taking the precautions with this information that you would expect if they actually thought of it as important trade secrets, because it’s a defense against the lawsuit to say “we didn’t take anything, but what you’re saying we took wasn’t secret anyway”. that’s why uber was pushing the whole “he copied the repository and you just let him????” angle

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
hbo has also radically improved its streaming service since that comic was written

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

he's not wrong to be tired of all the ballot initiatives. the number of regular government operations in sf that are funded by their own taxes, budget set-asides, and separately-issued bonds that need to be renewed every five years is completely out of control

like here, just in the last major election, and just the local initiatives:
  • a bond for the school district
  • a bond for bart
  • a bond for affordable housing
  • a parcel tax for the community college
  • a budget set-aside for tree maintenance
  • a budget set-aside for supporting seniors and disabled people
  • a linked budget set-aside for local transportation and homeless services
  • a (failed) linked budget set-aside for arts programs and homeless services
  • a (failed) police budget set-aside (in the sense of creating a permanent task force) for neighborhood crime units
  • plus an increase in real estate transfer taxes, an excise tax on soda, and a failed increase in the sales tax, all going into the general fund

almost none of this has any business being separately voted on, it should just be managed normally as part of the city budget

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
surely this program will only be used by individual americans

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

pedophile roy moore, who was removed from office twice for being too racist in alabama, received 49.9% of the vote because it's okay to gently caress children as long as you don't approve of letting women decide to abort them

now, now, he wasn’t removed for being racist, he was removed for being a wacky fundamentalist who refused to follow court orders he didn’t like

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

cis autodrag posted:

If they are that's stupid. It's stupid in general when people do that, but even more stupid here because you can't pay your mortgage with rsus and health insurance premiums.

you can absolutely pay your mortgage with rsus, tho. they’re not options, they count as income when they vest

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

cis autodrag posted:

Hard to make a monthly payment with money that you get every 6 months that fluctuates in value.

i mean, are you suggesting that if you sell stock as it vests you can't be trusted not to spend that money before you need it, or are you suggesting that you're worried that the stock might lose most of its value before it vests? because sure, the latter is a real possibility, but if it happens it's not like the rest of your income is magically still secure. otherwise the fluctuations in value you're talking about are just not that big a deal over a four-year period

obviously you should not be taking on so much debt that you've not only dedicated all of your cash income but you also need to sell your stock as it vests and if the stock price drops a little you're probably screwed. that is a corollary of "don't spend to your income". but vested rsus are real assets that you can and should sell if you need the money for something, and of course they are included in income figures for things like this

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

cis autodrag posted:

If you're already in a position to just stash money the way you're describing you are not in the described category of people struggling to get a mortgage or buy a house.

look, if you want to pretend that your rsus don’t count as income, fine, but that’s not how anybody else figures it, and they’re right not to

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i can understand not messing up the precious smooth surface with a visible latch but controlling it with software is worse in every way to just having one of those catches where pushing the door in releases it

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
that is the most hilarious excuse, because even taking it at face value means your technical management is completely incompetent

hiring good people is hard everywhere, although in most cases this is just because managers are shockingly stupid about how important previous experience in their exact subject area is. slipping slowly into such a sea of technical debt that you can barely tread water with thousands of programmers is just... mmmhmmm

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i don't think they'd allow remote control from somewhere with literally 100ms of round-trip speed-of-light latency. i'm sure there will be massive remote-driving centers in godforsaken places like south carolina and boston

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
el cerrito is a big ugly one-road strip on the outskirts of richmond that slowly climbs into some really expensive houses with gorgeous views of the bay and a 2400-acre park in their backyard

naturally the bart stations are both on the strip, which is just utterly irredeemable

i got horrible poison oak once hiking over the hills from del norte to my grandparents' house in el sobrante

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Munkeymon posted:

when a multi-decade smear campaign built out of innuendo on a foundation of bullshit sinks a capable politician's career it's really the voters fault but they're gettin theirs now

lol @ capable politician

hillary clinton's political career is a series of high-profile failures and embarrassments punctuated by a few moments of unchallenged nepotism

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

DELETE CASCADE posted:

remember when hillary clinton was suddenly a senator from new york despite never living in or having any connection to the state of new york? that was funny

remember when hillary clinton was suddenly the secretary of state despite her only memorable foreign-policy stance having been to strongly support the iraq war

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
what the gently caress are you talking about

in 1776 there was virginia, then a huge loving gap, then everything else. maryland and north carolina were like 15% smaller than pennsylvania and massachusetts. virginia was almost the size of pennsylvania and massachusetts combined

i mean if you went all the way to georgia then sure, that was barely settled by europeans. it was also a new colony and still very much on the frontier, with a large native population until jackson’s genocide

now by the time of the civil war this had all pretty much changed, there was a huge population explosion in the north. but that was definitely a new thing, mostly post-revolutionary

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
virginia was the biggest colony even if you didn’t count its slave population. but yes, its industry was mostly based around tobacco and slaves

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i mean i assume hillary clinton was a perfectly good lawyer back in the day, she's just a terrible politician in basically every way, except maybe crafting policy in a vacuum

donald trump is absolute poo poo at most things in his life, including the kind of politics that would let him get anything done, i.e. building trusting relationships with his peers, but the reason he always seems to fail upwards is that he has a con-man's intuition for telling people what they want to hear

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

also note that this table splits kentucky out as its own state, which at the time of drafting it was not

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
if google (apprently actually the youtube division?) actually said not to hire white and asian dudes for a quarter that is quite illegal, and if they fired him for complaining that it was illegal that is also quite illegal. odds are good that is not what happened but if it is i can certainly imagine why they’d be desperate to cover it up

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the conventional understanding of generations is the stupidest loving poo poo

the boomer definition is just insanely broad. americans who grew up in the 50s / early 60s have a lot in common with each other: early cold war, early mass culture, post-war economic boom, strong labor, vietnam war, counterculture and reaction. people who were born in the late 50s / early 60s came of age in an almost totally world: the economic boom had slipped into recession, mass culture was fracturing, the cold war and viet nam seemed like they'd never end, and there was just this pervasively corrupt and cynical sheen to everything. somehow these people are grouped together because some of them might have had the same parents

the standard definition of millenials is literally based around 2000AD just to make the name seem better. a more sensible definition would be the people who were teenagers in that late-80s to early-00s late/post-cold-war but pre-mass-social-media era, kids who've probably grown up with video games or computers, suburb fatigue, prolonged american peace (gulf war aside), economic stability, and a sort of resurgence of mass culture (that dates a bit earlier but what can you do). these are people for whom 9/11 and the iraq war and eventually the financial crisis felt like a reversal, like the quiet sense of progress had come apart in some significant way. but again that group gets thrown in with a bunch of kids who've basically known nothing else and who've grown up in a world where an online social life is just this tremendously important thing

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the persian gulf war is easy to forget, and that's exactly my point. it didn't leave much of a cultural mark; i remember the news showing rocket streaks in a dark sky, and burning oil fields, but then it was over. there were very few american casualties and the fighting was done with in less than six weeks

like sure, reagan sent troops to a bunch of places, and clinton shot off a lot of rockets and sent troops to a bunch of other places. i'm not claiming that america is like a peaceful country. i'm saying that none of it was culturally significant in the same way as the iraq war has been, or as viet nam was

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

So are you not aware that your definition of "millennial" here is pretty much gen x plus a small bit of the actual millennials because lol my dude.

nah. conventionally gen x starts in like 1965. my definition is more like 1976-1986, so just the last few years of gen x plus the first few years of millennials. but it’s all just an effort to save a theory that doesn’t have much actual evidence behind it

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
oh i see tori fell off the wagon again, should be some good wholesome fun when he admits in a couple weeks what he’s badly hosed up this time

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

There's a huge difference between having an affair and using your position at a pervasive company to make the world measurably worse for everyone. They don't compare and if you think they do, your sense of perspective is hosed up.

you have no idea what he did for facebook. if your argument is that even accepting employment at facebook is contemptible then lol you work at a loving medical insurance company, you are complicit in way worse poo poo. but actually you are just desperately deflecting attention from the fact that you’re back to drinking yourself into a stupor again

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
lol i hope someone knows here your real name so we can laugh when you eventually make the local news

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

I just need to get all my argumentatin' out online so that I don't snap at the students

same, but so i'm not tempted to flame people in the swift evolution forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
why would you go out of your way to choose a number that doesn't follow more == better than