Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

no resident of missouri can fit inside a hyperloop tube anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

JawnV6 posted:

an md5 hash of a string that will later be revealed, posted now as proof she knew the string back then

idk if there's a formal name for those?

i figured it was a hash but i didn't realize that's why she posted it. that's super cool to me for some reason

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

Oh yeah, there's no sound here. Playing.

same. currently sitting at the teaching station cleaning up. students have no idea what i'm watching :twisted:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i buy a lot of random motorcycle parts on ebay, because there's nowhere else you can go "yeah I need the passenger pegs from a 1992-1997 VFR750" and have any luck

also used tools -- lots of good things there

strange russian electronic devices

most recently a digital piano

basically, it's great for weird odds and ends that you can't find just anywhere and where it doesn't matter if they're used

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

eschaton posted:

did you ever get that working?

Not yet, but I'm chugging away at it.

There's pretty good documentation but it's all in russian so that slows me down

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Xaris posted:

e: dumb typo before being sagebrushed

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

dying batteries slow down phones

no, they don't

dying batteries apparently explode when iphones attempt to use them, so apple slows your phone down instead of replacing them

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lots of European countries have an extra yellow phase after red, before green, to let people get ready. It's incredibly stupid. America does traffic lights the right way.

Random fun fact: I learned this about Euro traffic signals after I had some British students in my Arduino class, which has as one of its first projects "use six LEDs and a button to simulate an intersection with a pedestrian-controlled signal." I thought the kids were just loving it up until I noticed a pattern among all the exchange students and went and looked it up

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's fun to slag on tesla but i don't know exactly how much i would trust the objective judgment of a "detroit-based engineering consultancy." they know who pays their bills.

that said the panel gaps are still hilarious

infernal machines posted:

good thing they don't turn into mobile incinerators the minute one of the battery casings cracks

it's dumb that people act like electric cars are somehow a bigger fire hazard than regular cars, which carry around a tank of gasoline under the rear seats and run it with little metal pipes all over the vehicle

anything that has a self-contained source of energy can probably be induced to release that energy in a rapid, uncontrolled manner and if it's the sort of levels required to drive a car around it's gonna be a mess

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 3, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

from windshield wipers that drain the air from your spare tire to taillights that fill up with engine coolant, VW has always been the undisputed king of German Engineering

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'd imagine they also wouldn't have quite as bad a reputation if their rebuttal to nader's book hadn't been to tap his phones, try to get him in bed with hookers, and dig up dirt on his family members

they certainly wouldn't have quite as bad a reputation if they hadn't been so blatant about the above that they had to admit to all of it in a public senate hearing

all those jokes about GM being run by thugs came from somewhere

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

san francisco's tap water is so pure they don't even have to filter it. comes straight from the hetch hetchy reservoir in yosemite and they add chlorine and put it in your pipes, that's it.

so naturally everyone only drinks filtered water.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

everywhere likes to try and brag about how good their local tapwater is but i don’t wanna hear a drat thing until you’ve actually spent time in an area that has really really soft water

hafta descale your faucets and shower heads once in awhile? don’t have any bottling plants nearby? nah your water is fine i guess, like most places that don’t use artesian wells to flush their toilets

i love the taste of hard, hard water, ice cold

give me that calcium

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

the weirdest social interaction i had for the first time a couple months ago was 11 ppl leaving a dinner and going outside and staring at 11 phones watching 11 uber drivers converge on our location

that cant be healthy for society

go to the SFO departures level sometime

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

apparently the market is down 6.5% or something over the last few days? yawn. wake me up when it's at least double digits

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

isn’t every HR anti harassment training literally “if someone tells you not to do something stop doing it” and hasn’t it been that way forever

is Silicon Valley just now catching up to the HR of every company from 30 years ago?

or is this one of those “wait you actually meant the words you said?!?!” things

the latter. horrible nerds

kinda like how okcupid recently changed its system so that after you message someone, you can't load their profile or send them another message unless they respond to you. drastically cuts down on the shitlords who don't know how to leave well enough alone

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

its loving awesome a private company can launch and land rockets

a private company funded primarily (>50%) by nasa, using nasa's launch facilities and infrastructure

but yeah

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 7, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

so this is a thing now

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ate all the Oreos posted:

crossposting from the hn thread 2 make u mad:

i wonder if the awful nerds would be lined up behind musk the same way if he had been a handsome, happily married catch of a man instead of a weird goon who drove his wife away with autistic logic and later creepily fixated on a hollywood actress half his age

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FMguru posted:

they still really dont know what the maximum speed was on those things. every pilot had a personal max speed but they all think they could have gotten another 20 or 50 or 75 km/hr out of the thing if they had to. same with max altitude

yeh. the engines were ramjets, which use the aircraft's forward motion to compress the intake charge, so the upper limit on its speed is "the intake cones/wing leading edges/cockpit windows just melted" rather than anything to do with the plane running out of power

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

he's not ugly but he's not robert downey jr. either.

also he's had work done. [img-that-pic-with-him-and-peter-thiel-where-he's-balding-at-25-or-whatever]

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i see your best sr-71 story and raise you the other best sr-71 story

e: gonna quote the meat of it because everyone needs to read it

quote:

We got a little lower, and I pulled the throttles back from 325 knots we were at. With the gear up, anything under 275 was just uncomfortable. Walt said we were practically over the field-yet; there was nothing in my windscreen. I banked the jet and started a gentle circling maneuver in hopes of picking up anything that looked like a field. Meanwhile, below, the cadet commander had taken the cadets up on the catwalk of the tower in order to get a prime view of the fly-past. It was a quiet, still day with no wind and partial gray overcast. Walter continued to give me indications that the field should be below us but in the overcast and haze, I couldn’t see it. The longer we continued to peer out the window and circle, the slower we got. With our power back, the awaiting cadets heard nothing. I must have had good instructors in my flying career, as something told me I better cross-check the gauges. As I noticed the airspeed indicator slide below 160 knots, my heart stopped and my adrenalin-filled left hand pushed two throttles full forward. At this point we weren’t really flying, but were falling in a slight bank. Just at the moment that both afterburners lit with a thunderous roar of flame (and what a joyous feeling that was) the aircraft fell into full view of the shocked observers on the tower. Shattering the still quiet of that morning, they now had 107 feet of fire-breathing titanium in their face as the plane levelled and accelerated, in full burner, on the tower side of the infield, closer than expected, maintaining what could only be described as some sort of ultimate knife-edge pass.

Quickly reaching the field boundary, we proceeded back to Mildenhall without incident. We didn’t say a word for those next 14 minutes. After landing, our commander greeted us, and we were both certain he was reaching for our wings. Instead, he heartily shook our hands and said the commander had told him it was the greatest SR-71 fly-past he had ever seen, especially how we had surprised them with such a precise maneuver that could only be described as breathtaking. He said that some of the cadet’s hats were blown off and the sight of the plan form of the plane in full afterburner dropping right in front of them was unbelievable. Walt and I both understood the concept of ‘breathtaking’ very well that morning and sheepishly replied that they were just excited to see our low approach.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 7, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fishmech posted:

the sr-71 was explicitly designed to reduce radar cross-section, why would they have not thought about it???

like that was the whole point of the project, build plane that go fast and hard to detect because they identified that the problem with the u2 was not enough fast and not enough hard to detect

the sr-71 was never hard to detect and everyone on all sides knew it. the three main things people talk about as reducing the plane's rcs (the iron-bearing paint, the chines, and the canted tails) were implemented for heat management, mach-tuck prevention and high-alpha (landing) performance, and increased yaw control, respectively. none of those were intentionally implemented to try and reduce RCS because the plane is spewing a mile-long trail of disturbed heated air that, at 80,000 feet, shows up like a searchlight on a radar scope.

the main reason the sr-71 could escape radar locks is because the systems in use through the early 1970s weren't able to acquire, track, and engage a target moving as quickly as the sr-71 before it went out of range.

but please pull more stuff from whatever is the first google result that supports your beliefs

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

Im the mach-tuck prevention.

mach tuck is what happens to me when i'm riding my motorcycle and i slam on the brakes real hard

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah. Back in the day the same was true of surface-to-air missiles. Even if they could find the plane, hand it off from the long range search site to the missile base, track the plane until it got in range, launch the missile, switch to guidance mode, and fly the missile to the target while keeping the plane in the line of sight...well by the time the missile got to 80,000 feet it would be in a tail chase and out of fuel at an altitude where the control surfaces barely work so the Blackbird would just have to turn a bit and be a mile to the side in 1.8 seconds.

[quote="fishmech" post="481087880, reducing that cross section would be an ongoing goal from the mid 50s because of this, eventually resulting in knowledge learned being applied to "true" stealth aircraft like the nighthawk
[/quote]

The F-117's stealth features were based on a theory of electromagnetic wave propagation published by a Russian mathematician in the 1970s. You imbecile. You loving moron

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

haveblue posted:

despite the dick waving in the aerospace industry and this thread, the sr-71 was consistently tracked and locked onto by radars and fighters operated by sweden of all places

there's an sr-71 (actually an a-12) at the intrepid, it's just as cool as you think up close

this is something that sweden likes to brag about because, like all other european nations, they have an inferiority complex about the united states

the only reason they were able to do that is because the sr-71s always flew the exact same path over friendly territory, so the swedes knew ahead of time where to point their radars and where to place their interceptors

a viggen absolutely could not catch up to a blackbird on a normal day

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

silence_kit posted:

I’m unfamiliar with the history here, but I feel like Notorious b.s.d.’s point regarding there not being enough computing horsepower to solve Maxwell’s equations numerically back then is relevant. I suspect that to actually be able to do a careful design of an aircraft’s shape to reduce radar cross-section, numerical solution of Maxwell’s equations is required.

More or less, yeah. IIRC when the HAVE BLUE project started (in the mid-70s) they still didn't have anything capable of getting a full simulation of radar diffraction in three dimensions. The Russian paper proposed an approximate solution to the problem based on surface edges, and Lockheed engineers were able to expand that into a program that could calculate the RCS of a set of flat polygons. That's why the F-117 looks like it do.

Later developments let the technique be generalized to any shape, given enough computer power, which is why the B-2, F-22, and F-35 all have smooth rounded surfaces.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cool startup feel posted:

remember that time he used his wife as a breeding sow and then divorced her for a younger woman?

quote:

As we danced at our wedding reception, Elon told me, "I am the alpha in this relationship." I shrugged it off, just as I would later shrug off signing the postnuptial agreement, but as time went on, I learned that he was serious. He had grown up in the male-dominated culture of South Africa, and the will to compete and dominate that made him so successful in business did not magically shut off when he came home. This, and the vast economic imbalance between us, meant that in the months following our wedding, a certain dynamic began to take hold. Elon's judgment overruled mine, and he was constantly remarking on the ways he found me lacking. "I am your wife," I told him repeatedly, "not your employee."

"If you were my employee," he said just as often, "I would fire you."

I barely recognized myself. I had turned into a trophy wife — and I sucked at it. I wasn't detail-oriented enough to maintain a perfect house or be a perfect hostess. I could no longer hide my boredom when the men talked and the women smiled and listened. I wasn't interested in Botox or makeup or reducing the appearance of the scars from my C-sections. And no matter how many highlights I got, Elon pushed me to be blonder. "Go platinum," he kept saying, and I kept refusing.

Not long after the accident, I sat on our bed with my knees pulled up to my chest and tears in my eyes. I told Elon, in a soft voice that was nonetheless filled with conviction, that I needed our life to change. I didn't want to be a sideline player in the multimillion-dollar spectacle of my husband's life. I wanted equality. I wanted partnership. I wanted to love and be loved, the way we had before he made all his millions.

Elon agreed to enter counseling, but he was running two companies and carrying a planet of stress. One month and three sessions later, he gave me an ultimatum: Either we fix this marriage today or I will divorce you tomorrow, by which I understood he meant, Our status quo works for me, so it should work for you. He filed for divorce the next morning.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

Im the apparent active participation of his parents in the apartheid system (as evidenced by the absence of even the most perfunctory mention of his parent's (even rhetorical) opposition to it).

a white businessman married to a white model in south africa in the 1970s and 80s, supporters of apartheid?? do you really think so?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The_Franz posted:

calling it now: the next bioshock game will be set on a martian colony

i'd play that

(it was called red faction iirc)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

emerald mines

loving really

it's cool though because he can say "i was the son of a miner" and be not technically lying

working in the mine, owning the mine, what's the difference?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cool startup feel posted:

that story makes me uncomfortable

it should, he's a loving weirdo

he later would follow around amber heard (15 years his junior) for like 2 years until she gave in and married him, then divorced him a year later, then married him again, and now i think is getting divorced again, while he complains to rolling stone that he's just a sad sack who's unlucky in love

another fun anecdote

quote:

According to Vance, the assistant, Mary Beth Brown, asked Musk for a significant raise after she’d been working with him for 12 years. In response, Musk told Brown to take two weeks off, during which he would assume her responsibilities and see whether she was critical to his success.

When Brown returned, Musk told her he didn’t need her anymore.

Musk also told Vance that he offered Brown another position at the company but that she never returned to the office after that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shaggar posted:

cant read that article but I read it somewhere else. clothing telemetry alone is pretty weird but idk why you'd tie it to a crypto currency

"blockchain" is the new "machine learning" in investor storytime

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FCKGW posted:

I didn't know this story

goddamn

broke: "You would think that after being on the receiving end of numerous attacks I would wise up, but I couldn't. I refused to. I felt I should say something, even though I knew what the result would be. ... I learned how not to be. One thing I loathe is a man who will strike a woman. There's never an excuse for that."

woke: "If I'm not in love, if I'm not with a long-term companion, I cannot be happy. I will never be happy without having someone ... no one on the pillow next to you. F--. How do you make yourself happy in a situation like that?"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

I will never understand the popularity of the "magic words" idea in a shockingly large percentage of the population.

fifteen percent of the american population is functionally illiterate -- reading at a third-grade* equivalent level or below. they cannot read basic written communications like a warning sign or the back of a cereal box.

the median reading level in the united states is around seventh to eighth grade. these people can read a simple passage, but may not be able to locate specific information in the text, make inferences that the text implies, or integrate pieces of information from different part of the document.

only fifteen percent of the population has what is considered to be complete adult literacy, functioning at the highest level on the tests used to make these measurements.

words very much are magic to a shockingly large percentage of the population.

*we don't use grade levels any more to describe literacy for what should be self-evident reasons but it's still a convenient shorthand

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shaggar posted:

this sounds like bullshit

https://nces.ed.gov/pubs93/93275.pdf

data's from 2002, so it's likely that the numbers are a bit different now

but lol if you think americans have, as a whole, gotten smarter and better-read since 9/11

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fishmech posted:

the thing about party lines is they were very common in straight up suburban and even some urban areas, because upgrading telephone exchanges to get a whole separate line could take a lot longer, but you could be patched into party lines very shortly after move-in, as well as costing less money per month

our cabin still has a party line with one other person on it. still works just like it always did. two short rings is ours, one long one is theresa.

i wonder how rare they are in tyool 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Stymie posted:

oh cool thanks for this distinction without a difference, really clears things up

you're stymie so i'm not particularly surprised that you can't see there's a generational difference between someone born in 1984 and someone born in 2002 but w/e you say guy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ugh. a stymie post quoted in a page snipe. give me a sixer for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my hot take: they mutually decided to settle upon the realization that digging through the details of the tech in court would demonstrate that self-driving cars are still decades out, and neither company is anywhere near capable of doing what they claim