Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mystes posted:

They should just buy undeveloped land in the middle of nowhere and build their own city.

Why build your own city when you can squat on property till the law forces you to sell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I said this in the Tesla/Musk thread but I'll repeat it here.

Death to capitalism.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Midjack posted:

be the change you want to see

I haven't bought gas in months!

Because I ride a bike you see. Now watch as I summon Shaggar to defend his precious cars! :v:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

larry ellison has a cadre of loyal samurai as an honor guard who must first be defeated

I sigh, as I too unsheathe my katana.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

But yeah, someone once said that unions are the alternative to the factory boss getting murdered.

I'd believe it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Chris Knight posted:

Normally, I start my days with a variant of Bulletproof Coffee. I like to “supercharge” mine by throwing in 15 micrograms of LSD, 60 milligrams of Adderall, four 5-hour Energy drinks and a dollop of rhinoceros semen. It’s invigorating — the grass-fed butter really works wonders. Sadly, I woke up a little later than usual today and have time only to parachute a handful of crushed caffeine pills and munch on a stick of butter on the way out of my apartment.

:same:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Schadenboner posted:

I’m seriously :sherman: as fuuuuck about this.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Schadenboner posted:

This being near an elementary school just makes me angrier.

By the way beeps: how is K4 going for yours?

poo poo I forgot you're in Milwaukee area. I haven't seen any of those ever in my area.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Solution:

Remove all cars from the roads.

Problem:

Solved.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tangential: we have uber eats at my job.

No one likes uber eats at my job. It's basically a way for the owners to print money and pad their wallets.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

once you summon a shaggar, use this sigil to enrage him

:getin:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

carry on then posted:

i'm curious, what's bad about it (not defending)

The worst part (not involving money) is the drivers usually show up well after the food is made. So enjoy your cold, nasty food. The real worst part is the workers didn't see a single cent of pay increase on our checks for it.

A couple other problems is you have times where no drivers are responding, so you'll get people resubmitting orders, think we're the ones cancelling them. That ties into sometimes we'll make the food, but don't get a driver, so now we wasted that amount of food and have to throw it away (or eat it ourselves, depending on what it was).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Every time I hear about "self driving cars" I laugh at two significant things:

1. My GPS will mistakenly think I'm going down a road I'm actually not. There's two distinct failure modes here: 1. when I'm in navigation mode, it'll think I'm still following the path when I take a different route. 2. when I'm not in navigation mode, it'll think I'm exiting from time to time when I'm going straight.
2. Snow.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shaggar posted:

actually that is two separate signs. the first is a warning that non-vehicles may enter the roadway, similar to like the moose warning sign. the second is just a reminder to stay in your lane.

Sell your car.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cocoa Crispies posted:

solar

freakin'

roadways!!!!!

:barf:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Chris Knight posted:

I still can't believe how anyone fell for that poo poo

I mean...

Somehow people think he has good ideas.

That said, on paper, it's a cool idea. Some of the most exposed to the sun land there is are roadways. Problem is, the reality doesn't line up.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Magic Leap is finally making things?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

infernal machines posted:

p.much

it's painfully obvious from their concepts that no one has the slightest clue how much work will actually be involved in reconfiguring their "modular" buildings. it will happen once, if ever, and never again.

Yes, but it will disrupt things! Think of all the value from that!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sagebrush posted:

i have a friend who works way up in the arctic at one of those fancy ecotourist resorts for extremely wealthy assholes

they are located so close to the magnetic north pole that the declination is like 70 degrees off -- i.e. magnetic compasses don't point remotely near true north. this means that although the gps satellite constellation still works, gps navigation generally does not. not a big deal as there are no roads anyway.

however, one rich dude from NYC wanted to fly his multi-thousand dollar drone to take aerial pictures. they said it was a bad idea because gps doesn't work right and it might go out of control. he ignored them and launched it anyway and it immediately flew out over the ocean and crashed. he threatened to make them pay for it, and when the owner just laughed at him, spent the rest of the day sulking.

well that's my story ok bye

Watching rich people get their comeuppance brings me joy.

But not enough if they were to get this: :thermidor:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

President Beep posted:

also known as their real comeuppance.

Very true

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

fishmech posted:

i just don't see how this results in a drone not being able to navigate, unless the thing the operator wanted it to do was specifically follow a magnetic heading.

like i doubt the cheapy ones with a glorified rc car controller care about a compass direction, you steer them basically all manually and even the very fancy ones still have that usually. and you're usually expected to keep the thing in visual range to handle that, or you're going to be putting on a camera that can be used for flying visually.

plus the ones fancy enough to have gps nav should be able to move between gps waypoints absent the magnetic compass even if it'll be less reliable than if you're sitting at the magnetic equator and can expect the most reliable compass response.

I see your point

but why the gently caress are you defending a rich person by poking holes in a story making fun of someone who is rich?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

President Beep posted:

and that vp?

bill gates

*shot freezes, canned laughter*

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

President Beep posted:

not much. phodar deez nuts.

iospace posted:

*shot freezes, canned laughter*

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fishmech, the "Technically correct, the best kind of correct" meme made flesh.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Insurance is a scam.

Insurance is allowed by capitalism.

Death to capitalism.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

iospace posted:

Fishmech, the "Technically correct, the best kind of correct" meme made flesh.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FrozenVent posted:

he’s not even technically correct which is the most infuriating part

Well yes, but it's his argument style as a whole.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cocoa Crispies posted:

trains are almost a best case scenario for "an entire hydrogen fuel cycle system from scratch"

they're specific places at specific times

I'm not sure if they deconverted them back to diesels, but I know either UP or BNSF had hydrogen rail vehicles for their yard ops. You know, low distance, low speed operations. There's a lot of hybrids running around yards as well.

(funny enough, yard locomotives in the steam age also had special designs. The tender was smaller, with a sloped back for more visibility to the rear from the cab. They achieved this by mostly sacrificing water space, but given the locomotive was not going to be far from the yard where water was plentiful, it was a non-issue)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

refleks posted:

that lovely facebook policy is no doubt due to them working backwards from "We need to allow people to express enthusiasm for $MINORITY_RACE$" and then also allow it for white people for some loving reason...

It's part that, part "well, we can either pay moderators to scan this stuff, or we can use a script to do it!"

The script was written by nazis.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

lancemantis posted:

facebook policies allow nazis pragmatically because they just want all the engagement they can get and optimistically because its the kind of company staffed by radical centrists that feel like they're accomplishing a great ideological feat worthy of praise by accommodating nazis

but have you considered :decorum:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MrAptronym posted:

it's almost like corporations are amoral and myopic money generating monsters and may not actually have the best interests of our society in mind. scary if true

You know what I think?

YOU GUESSED IT

Death to cars capitalism.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Man, this is a race to the bottom.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

President Beep posted:

people still won’t recognize amberpos’ supremacy.

I have never seen a more wrong post in my life

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

graph posted:

lets talk about breading

Bread is good and tasty.

Bake your own bread

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

JUST gently caress ALREADY

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

President Beep posted:

they’d have to find each other first.

:golfclap:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Stringent posted:

apropos of nothing, enjoy my boy wang gang loving up some crawfish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRawQBCkQ34

I've never had them, are they good?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FOR THE LOVE OF THE GODS, AND ALL THAT IS HOLY, GIVE IT A loving REST, ALL OF YOU.

Alternately
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7QZgH1eP2o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

freezepops posted:

You've never had crawfish????

They are good if you are a meat eater. You chill around a table drinking, munch on some veggies, peal and eat some crawfish. The effort/reward is pretty low but overall a good drinking time.

Nope, never had them. Then again I don't think they're plentiful up in the upper midwest, but I could be wrong.