Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
thread so old a michael bublé joke was topical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
just got back from stockholm. i'm v jelly of their awesome tap water

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i drove on a cape breton dirt road yesterday ama

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
nope dead serious. got one of the last flights out of halifax before the weather closed in.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

qirex posted:

I wonder how softbank feels about a chunk of their huge cash injection going directly to google

it's funny, since google just sold 2.5% stake during the softbank deal and is getting a bunch of it right back.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

qirex posted:

the softbank purchase valued uber down to 45 bil from 68, no way are they at 72 now

the people who cashed out to softbank, including kalanick and google ventures, did so at a 45 bil valuation. the additional 1.25b cash infusion was at 69/72 bil valuation. yes it's stupid.

also the whole practice of saying valuation = new money * new shares / (new shares + old shares) is total bullshit as we know anyway. the new shares are almost always loaded with ratchets and covenants and such that makes them worth anywhere from 1-5x common stock that employees and whoever else get.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
mega agreedo on spotify being doomed and also lol at $20 billion valuation. but good on them for sticking it to the banks on an ipo. underwriters take fees of 6% for doing what exactly? giving insiders a cut on a day one pop leaving founders in the lurch? gently caress em.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
labour, skinny people

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

everyone hated that. it's an extremely confusing way of writing it (no one cares how many litres of fuel they have to buy to go 100km; if they were doing the calculations, it would be how many kilometres they can go on one litres) and the nature of the ratio makes it very nonlinear at the common ranges. a car that gets 3l/100km is way, way better than one that uses 5l/100km, but one that does 17l is not that different from one that does 20l. mathematically this makes sense but to an average human it is obscure and confusing. furthermore, no one had any idea what the new units meant, or whether their car that gets 11l/100km is better or worse than their old jeep that did 14mpg.

This is all p lol but isn't this completely backwards? The difference between 8 and 10 mpg is double the difference between 18 and 20 basically, while the difference between 3 and 5 and and n and n+2 is always 2 in fuel/distance.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Xaris posted:

only travel related, but air norwegian has really cheap flights out of oakland for like $200. has anyone flown them and is the 787 actually a lot more comfortable to fly internationally? i heard humidity or somethingi s better so you dont get dried out nose/throat and face

ya same here in seattle. for some reason you don't get their poo poo in the results if you use expedia or flights.google or whatever. my boss used it and said it was v nice and they're hell of cheap. win win or me if they force ba to get a bit cheaper imo.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

first class is cool because you get unlimited booze for free

i saw a guy order three bottles of wine once between LAX and houston

dude next to me in sas business had 14 bloody marys between stockholm and toronto lol. hands shaking the whole way and i don't think it was fear of flying.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i went to school with peter szulcewski and he was the smartest most driven person i've ever met.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

infernal machines posted:

i've noticed when americans say "driven" what they mean is "sociopath"

don't worry we're all canadian

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qGVVxaosDM&t=3s

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Jonny 290 posted:

probably the scariest moment of my life, my glasses flew off so i was instantly basically blind, its 7:45 am, a drunk person just immobilized my BMW which is now totaled and i have to get out of the danger area but i can't see. do i keep looking for my glasses or bail into the median

Yeah same but it was an f450 utility truck. My front end looked even worse than the back since I was plowed forward in to 5 more cars.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/976596268289019904
thanks for your insight, stebe

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
does anyone expect we'll get a forensic analysis of what the neural net was predicting and the lidar/other inputs in the runup to the collision? not even braking at all is so shamefully poor performing i'm both surprised and not surprised.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Krankenstyle posted:

no. trade secrets.

surely a government would require the right to analyze the software as a precondition for granting the license for automated driving. amirite guys?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
it could also be that techlords who pay premiums for a tesla are poor drivers on average. who is to say it's the vehicle?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
that ste is pretty cool. had to go all the way to Pasiphae and Titus Groan to stump it.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
it knows your character already it's just asking extra questions so that they will provide more discriminatory power in the future.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
no natural split keyboard, instant trash

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

seriously why is it always amazon we're hearing the weird bathroom-denial stories about? and not even just their warehouses, even their loving office buildings are notorious for not having enough bathrooms.

this is true and funny and it's because of the horrendous gender imbalance in their corporate office, at least in some divisions/buildings.

also, my favourite osha graph

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

mike started a housing column and wow seattle really seems to be on-track to challenge the bay area for insanity

https://twitter.com/ByRosenberg/status/986282771575324672

seattle prices absolutely have the ability to eventually match sv/sf. fuzzywife and i bought a house here for 650k in 2012 and zillow tells me it's worth 1.3m. is see lovely cube houses thrown up in 3 months going for 1.1 without entering the market. our lovely starter condo in newcastle has doubled too since the recession. hell, i'm closing on an 850k condo for my parents in a couple weeks. poo poo's on fire around here.

e:hp is absolutely right.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i'm glad i'm a guy lol

e:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqi0ZAYPyPk

i'm the, uh, flute soloist i guess.

anyone know what the hell api is in volvo and gm cars that makes this at all possible?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

looking forward to the first "I was locked in the back of a car and was only saved when I ordered using Amazon Prime tm and they delivered before I ran out of oxygen! Thanks bezos" story

yeah looks like you need onstar what a ripoff!1

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
called it

the information posted:

Uber Finds Deadly Accident Likely Caused By Software Set to Ignore Objects On Road

The car’s sensors detected the pedestrian, who was crossing the street with a bicycle, but Uber’s software decided it didn’t need to react right away. That’s a result of how the software was tuned. Like other autonomous vehicle systems, Uber’s software has the ability to ignore “false positives,” or objects in its path that wouldn’t actually be a problem for the vehicle, such as a plastic bag floating over a road. In this case, Uber executives believe the company’s system was tuned so that it reacted less to such objects. But the tuning went too far, and the car didn’t react fast enough, one of these people said.

The Uber unit, known as Advanced Technologies Group (ATG), has around 1,500 employees, including plenty of well-regarded engineers, and more than 200 prototype cars. CEO Dara Khosrowshahi said last fall it was an important investment. He added in public comments this year that Uber would partner with other self-driving car developers who would make vehicles available to its riders. “Winning is making sure that we have every single autonomous player plugged into the network...because the network is our business,” he said.

i lust for uber death

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

President Beep posted:

i’m having a difficult time imagining something human and bicycle sized that wouldn’t cause a problem for a car.

e: really not trying to be a wise rear end here. maybe there’s some common scenario that i just don’t realize

you're right. it is hard to imagine. their system must be exceptionally bad and the onus should be on them to prove otherwise. release the data dara!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

President Beep posted:

if your roadgoing product is designed to ignore things pedestrian shape then it shouldn’t exist

but they had a bicycle. so clearly they were a cyclist. dumbass!!!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
move fast and break things lmao

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
knockoff talking rain

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
lol

i'm still waiting on the post mortem (haha) in to what the autonomous engine was thinking when it hit that ped

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Xaris posted:

they knew what they were doing, they have 99999 billion bux and desperately trying to make as much money for da shareholders as possible in the next 2 years before they bail out at ipo

yeah my thoughts exactly. they did it on condition of a 2019 ipo. hope we get another snapchat :pray:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

qirex posted:

oh poo poo I just realized they could offer drivers shares as compensation then stick them with a lockout/super slow vesting schedule so they get left holding the bag

haha that's definitely lovely enough for uber to do

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Uptime Sinclair posted:

nando's has a garlic peri peri sauce they put out that I've enjoyed

also: posting on the page that's the color of some people's yospos energy

got some from my yossanta duckfarts can confirm

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
tapatio > cholula >>> tobasco

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
give me a garlic mignonette for oysters any day of the week hell yeah

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
all right santee this year ima sned you the yossauce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

see that one i learned after moving to the states. the truly ingrained advertising jingles are canadian ones no one here has ever heard

.|.| sleep country canada!
why buy a mattress
anywhere else? .| .|

when i moved to seattle i learned that there is, you guessed it, sleep country usa. was a real mind gently caress.