Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

infernal machines posted:

well i can pay my rent by email and everyone up to and including sidewalk vendors accepts tap to pay, so :shrug:

this is my favourite part of being back in Canada so far. tap to pay is default rather than some magical thing you can do at walgreens sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

infernal machines posted:

welcome back! did you wind up in sask or somewhere closer to civilization?

saskatoon. it has gotten significantly better since i left in ~2011, but i'll probably be sick of it within a year or two and head back to toronto.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
cheques are dumb. so are checks. czechs are alright tho.

i pay my landlord via email transfer and i don’t know or care how it works under the hood im just happy i don’t have to scribble some bullshit on a special piece of paper and then hand it to him
in person so he can take a picture of it or take it to someone at a bank or whatever

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
i like how kickstarter thought they could shut them up with a month of severance

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
who the gently caress is esr

god dammit i hate stupid acronyms

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
why the gently caress do you need a scale when pouring coffee

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
my cs program (canada) has an ethics course but i didnt take it. hell yeah.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
terms like o11y make me irrationally annoyed. just spell the loving word so i dont have to google what your latest stupid tech-buzzword-but-with-a-number-in-it means.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

uncurable mlady posted:

now tell me the difference between o11y and a11y

here at dickhead tech corporation, we care about a-eleven-y and make our app more a-eight-e for people who need to use a screen reader

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
google's featured snippets (the quick answers to whatever you typed) are loving terrible. every answer is wrong or not in the units i typed, so basically wrong. searching for "disable featured snippets" gives me a shitload of articles about google keeping hate speech or whatever out of them, and 0 results for shutting them off.

gently caress.

i guess i have to use duck duck go or something cause im gonna LOSE IT if it tells me one more distance in god drat miles

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

evilweasel posted:

its like an oven, but one that's even easier for my toddler to control

alexa, kill my family in a house fire because my nest protect is offline for maintenance

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
i thought that guy's channel was just a parody kinda thing

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
i dunno, i could be wrong. to me his videos come off as actual life poo poo (eg he got fired/divorced/etc) but presented in a non-serious and trollish kinda way

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
journalists dont even need any help to not write it off. theyre already dumb enough to think (some dude at the verge, iirc) that it only added 4ms additional latency when running on a server in SF to a client in LA. he measured it with his cell phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Shame Boy posted:

went over to a coworker's desk to help with something today, noticed he was using loving Brave as his primary browser :yikes:

is brave a bad browser? I thought it was that privacy thing. or is it the one that mines crypto?