Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Munkeymon posted:

multi-core processor are extremely affordable nowdays OP

it has more to do with windows deciding that anything connected to the internet, other than itself, gets to gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

three redirects later

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ndca/pr/former-uber-self-driving-car-executive-indicted-alleged-theft-trade-secrets-google

quote:

SAN JOSE - A federal grand jury in San Jose has indicted Anthony Scott Levandowski on theft of trade secrets charges, announced United States Attorney David L. Anderson and Federal Bureau of Investigation Special Agent in Charge John F. Bennett.

The indictment was returned on August 15, 2019, and unsealed on August 26, 2019. The indictment alleges Levandowski, 39, of Marin County, was a Google engineer and one of the founding members of the group that worked on Google’s self-driving car project. Levandowski worked on the project from 2009 until he resigned from Google without notice on January 27, 2016.

“All of us have the right to change jobs,” said U.S. Attorney Anderson, “none of us has the right to fill our pockets on the way out the door. Theft is not innovation.”

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

there is no such thing as enough, there is only more

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Xaris posted:

lol yeah i was actually watching one of this dude's videos last night reminscenting about The Incredible Universe but also showed fry's. dead as gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzNe1OO3n1s

good god it's like future shop swelled to twice its size and swallowed a duty free perfume store

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

infernal machines posted:

i'm pretty sure future shop hasn't existed for about four years now, so yeah

you totally get that vibe from the inside of the store though, yeah? it's the "500 yards from a best buy location with the same poo poo" era, only in a store so big ikea couldn't fill it

and then suddenly a wall of calvin klein stink bottles

tech store expands to sell things that aren't tech, gets beaten unrecognizable by incumbents, employees come in one morning to find the door locked

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

watching that happen to pccyber in realtime sucked but it's okay cause canadacomputers got good again

also rbc still exists i suppose :shrug:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

their storefront may be dead but their customer data will live forever

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Xaris posted:

problem is bleeding over into frequency used for measuring water content. if it was truly strictly one exact freq, sure it'd be OK but lol it's not

solution is to just make it illegal to measure the water

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

I also wish they would get numbers right: "Take the ramp for 794 East" not "Take the 7...9...4... E Ramp". Interstate signs have got to be using a pretty limited and regulatory-defined vocabulary so it seems like something that should be easy enough?

:shrug:

In 300 metres, turn left onto Cow rear end Road Regional Road Seventy-Four Route Seventy-Four Signs for Farmtown Regional Route Seventy Four Cow rear end Road Seventy Four

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuzWNyEFyS8

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

in five hundred metres, use the second left lane to turn left onto kemmin la veron dry

ugh okay half marks but gently caress can we teach tts to pronounce not-english at least halfway right

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

My main problem is that you have to zoom in to oh I don't know approximately 1:1 scale for it to tell me the name of the current loving street

loving saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame, but it won't matter cause when you do it gives you an obsolete route/highway number instead of the common civic name for the street that everybody under the age of 200 uses instead

okay google where the gently caress is "ottawa road 85"

hey that's the north end of road 31

cool story where the gently caress is that, wait do you mean highway 31

kinda, hwy 31 becomes road 31 once it hits the city

oh you mean GODDAMNED BANK STREET, CENTRAL THOROUGHFARE AND UNIVERSAL LANDMARK THAT DIVIDES THE BLOODY CITY IN HALF

yeah road eighty-five

:suicide:

*not an actual example but holy poo poo

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 29, 2019

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

Juul is being investigated by the FTC for marketing to kids

Also at least 200 people have been hospitalized with hosed up lungs now after vaping

i thought these were unrelated

juul should absolutely have known they were selling to kids because holy poo poo most adults who use them now learned about them from kids

aren't the vaping hospitalizations from people inhaling bespoke artisanal aerosolized whatever the gently caress they bought from a guy behind the mall

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

2015: "this vape juice stuff is really hard to regulate cause no two cartridges contain the same exact compounds and nobody knows what's actually in them, but eeh it's not combusting tobacco so huff that poo poo all day every day"

2019: "what's the deal with all these mysterious lung diseases"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

haveblue posted:

known? that was the point. cigarette use is crashing and they've got to get a new generation hooked on the nic

yup, and they're being really obvious about it now with the "FOR ADULTS" shoehorned into their advertising

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

pretty low chance of vaping having *no* negative respiratory effect, but i really think it is overly pessimistic expecting this to be anything but people vaping some straight up poison bought from some guy in an alley

my money's on "whoops we hosed up this substrate isn't actually safe to breathe after all, sucks to your emphysemar"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

heated? why did i think they were using piezos to aerosolize it

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

^see that's what i figured, but it doesn't help that "vape pen" can also mean "a thing that heats marijuana to sub-combustion temperatures so you can breathe the heated vapour"

i mean i guess there must be some types that heat the liquid vape juice?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

"If someone said to you "hey man try this, it's the stuff in a smoke machine cut with nicotine, and youhuff it out of an unregulated heat coil wrapped in unidentified mixed metals" you'd say no

lazer quest is cool again

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

You stop to smoke a Djarum.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

huh? they all heat it, that's also how a fog machine works :confused:

i mean there's those little tiny ultrasonic fog things that you can get that make a tiny amount of fog but i'm talking like, the ones that shoot out big clouds for use at concerts and clubs, they're basically just a heater block that glycerol gets pumped through

shows what i know

it is very little

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

my herp bias is showing i guess; when you say fogger my mind immediately goes to piezos

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I founded this miniature fog machine in a curled up old monkey's paw, stuffed it with tobacco and my wish to not get lung cancer was granted

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

it's great fun when google maps thinks you're on a bicycle, try changing htat option while driving

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

a tortured word joke that flopped

i like toast

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Wheany posted:

try bilingual not-english. "turn left on vanha hämeentie gamla tavastlandsvägen." just pick either language. also it pronounces the swedish "vägen" as "vagin", which is very funny.

it'd be hilarious if maps just up & switched to speaking only french for people who strayed into quebec

Krankenstyle posted:

like take "jægersborggade" = hunter's castle street, but its pronouncing it like "hunter scas tlest reet", ive been considering writing them an email to just loving put a space before all -gade -vej -stræde etc before passing them to the TTS cause its unberarable.

i thought the slowed-down aussie voice was good, esp for alarms ("iitttss noooyen taaanee thehhhty foooive") but now you have me wanting to install danish

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

you can be two things. rich people are both extremely stupid and in cahoots to deny wealth to the rest of society.

imagine how many people could have clean water with the money rich people flush away on purpose for the tax break

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

i half-lied, i used to have exactly one autopay: netflix, on a credit card that was otherwise completely unused, just so it seemed "active" WRT my credit score. haven't been bothered with that in about a year, though

autopay on cc is fine because you're the card company's customer, not the vendor, so you can say "eeh nah don't send pg&e 2^16 -1 dollars thx" and they'll probably do it

fraud on your chequing account is a giant pain in the balls to unfuck

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

wasn't denmark the place where they came out with that "irrefutable" otp that I could use to prove I was you, even when you were physically standing there insisting I wasn't?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

yup it was

Boiled Water posted:

in secfuck of yester-week: the highest danish court of justice ruled on a case of “what happens when you’re defrauded of your digital signature credentials?”

in short, Denmark has a system of digital signatures and logins using 2fa. You use it for things like logging into your bank account or signing for a loan. I did this last year when buying my house. Currently it’s named “NemID”

if someone else gets hold of your credentials and 2fa device (most commonly a piece of cardboard with codes on it like you’re keying in the nuke codes) and uses this to take a loan or buy an iPhone, then you are still 100% liable for these loans or purchases. The court ruled NemID as higher than a signature or contract.

recently this kind of fraud has been targeted at the lowest rungs of society, homeless, foreigners and the mentally retarded who are left with debts and a court / banking system telling them to go gently caress themselves.

this has been my banking 2fa story thanks for reading

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

does menthol count as flavored

i like where you're going with this

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

a tax on yarmulkes is a tax on jews, part 2: electric cigarilloo

flakeloaf