Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
is this the place to discuss infrastructure

asking for a friend

haha just kidding i don't have any

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

that is still one of the best backstory intros i've ever seen, i remember seeing it in the theater when it came out and being all "gently caress yeah this is gonna rule"

covers all the bases with the perfect segue.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

so do the men with shockrods show up if a warehouse worker tries to get in?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Cat Face Joe posted:

mighty gently caress just build a goddamn TRAIN

and rub elbows with commoners

i don't think so tim

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
and again, just to make clear, i'd kill any one of you if it meant a rail line from madison to chicago

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

no resident of missouri can fit inside a hyperloop tube anyway

well then you wouldn't even need the car to ensure a perfect seal, just grease 'em up and send them on down the line.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

ate all the Oreos posted:

here's how loving stupid and naive i am: i read that and initially went "oh so they can keep track of who's doing too many repetitive movements and prevent injury, neat" :sigh:

oh to be so innocent with eyes full of hope again instead of miserable and jaded

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I didn't realize "Autofac" was a documentary

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Couldn't an uber hold two (or more) passengers for at least some of the trips, reducing the total number of cars?

Actually: that could work for any of them, some sort of "car-pool" arrangement?

interesting, tell me more

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

the hood of a brand new sixty thousand dollar car (incl options and fees)

"within tolerances we made up, ticket closed"

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

not gonna lie, i read that like 3 times as ottoman (empire) and i was wondering if i had slept through history class that day for it to be somehow relevant now

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

I always wondered if it was possible to make the bagel equivalent of jelly doughnuts (although it might have to be a bialy then, unless the filling was in a ring in the bagel I suppose?) .

Einstein/Caribou Coffee has filled bagel bites but they aren't the same, they aren't even filled to order. :shrug:

the dough would be too dense

e: i speak as someone with over 10 years working in bagel stores as a baker/dough guy, you wouldn't be able to do it like they do with donuts, or even feasibly any other way

Just-In-Timeberlake fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 6, 2018

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
ffs arguing with people who are like "musk is the first to do this!"

did you miss the last 70 years of history?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
people are literally telling me "it's the most powerful rocket ever!"

nnnnnnnnnngngngngngnngnggjghhhalsfgha;klsdhfg;ahjsf;lahjfaodsfghpahfgl;kah;kvnaknvjknaiothpehqrwotadsfh

it's not even loving close

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

FMguru posted:

lol our idiot president just told the stock market that it made a huge mistake by going down instead of going up

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/961253168968622086

also people in rural america are killing themselves more often

trump's brain is a smooth as a marble

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

that actually sounds like a great feature both ways. if someone didn't message me back i wouldn't want to continue to see them in search results anyway.

dang yeah you really could do a Pentagon Wars style film about the Space Shuttle, right down to the mass/size problems and the feature creep

air force general all :mil101: "we want the vehicle to be able to take off, do a single polar orbit, and then land back at the same place it took off from"
:psyduck: "but... sir, we'll need to put huge wings on the orbiter in order to do that. it'll eat a huge chunk out of the payload capacity!"
:mil101: "we're thinkin', maybe we could hang one o' them keyhole sats out the barn door, take a picture of some russkie naval yard, and get the film back in hours! hell! one of the boys even suggested we could snatch a russkie spy job and see what the hell they been lookin' at!"
:psyduck: "we just wanted a space truck so congress would let us keep going to space :smith:"
:mil101: "shoot, son, nobody's sayin' you can't go to space! just, you know, make it a little bigger or somethin'. what in tarnation you spendin' all that money for anyhow?"

with bonus scenes of the OMB literally advocating for setting NASA's budget at a permanent fixed dollar amount and letting inflation strangle the agency

(what the hell happened to the smiley where the guy in a cowboy hat was chomping a cigar?)

for whatever reason that reminded me that the SR-71 was a thing, and it was one of the coolest of things

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
poo poo i have heard today multiple times

"if anybody can do it, how come no private company but SpaceX has launched a payload to space?"

to which my reply of "it gets done all the time, regularly, by a dozen different private companies, this is nothing new. who do you think has been launching all those telecom satellites?"

is met with "yeah, well it's still really cool and made me excited and blah blah blah" and then some poo poo about steve jobs and how they're the same and i want to die

Just-In-Timeberlake fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 7, 2018

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

FMguru posted:

the sr71 owns because it does everything the opposite of how other planes work

- the fuel is specially formulated not to burn
- the skin is not smooth, but zigzag rough like cardboard
- to conserve gas, fly it as fast as possible
- the airframe gets stronger with wear and use

just an amazing bit of engineering, all done with slide rules in the early 1960s

they still really dont know what the maximum speed was on those things. every pilot had a personal max speed but they all think they could have gotten another 20 or 50 or 75 km/hr out of the thing if they had to. same with max altitude

yeah, that's my fave part

they were like "let's put these chines because it'll reduce the radar back scatter" and it was a pleasant surprise when it improved lift and aerodynamic performance

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

infernal machines posted:

don't they fantasize him as iron man? like, broken, but handsome

i'm fairly certain they do

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

to his credit, unlike steve ballmer, elon by musky for elon musk for elon musk the muskman looks like he was smart enough to take some of his money and hire an image consultant

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

haveblue posted:

nah they’re spinning it as “we wanted to burn every drop of fuel in the final stage, we had more than we expected because reasons”

the mission was to lose the car in deep space so it’s never seen again and by that metric it’s a success

you just wait until the remake star trek the motion picture

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

The Leck posted:

i was just talking about this startup with coworkers last week, and the general consensus was “food isn’t always great at restaurants, so health inspections are bullshit regulations strangling small business”

if your answer isn't "they're not called taste inspections you dumb fucks" i don't know what to tell you

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
oh, had no idea the model 3 had shipped last year

waiiiiiit a second here

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

lancemantis posted:

you see, it will be such a valuable thing that people will gladly do whatever it takes for a ticket, much like old colonialism

there will probably even be financing offered, perhaps with some number of years of employment for the financier at the destination, a kind of indentureship

he's gonna change his name to cohaagen and rule mars under threat of cutting off the oxygen supply

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

broke: "You would think that after being on the receiving end of numerous attacks I would wise up, but I couldn't. I refused to. I felt I should say something, even though I knew what the result would be. ... I learned how not to be. One thing I loathe is a man who will strike a woman. There's never an excuse for that."

woke: "If I'm not in love, if I'm not with a long-term companion, I cannot be happy. I will never be happy without having someone ... no one on the pillow next to you. F--. How do you make yourself happy in a situation like that?"

as always, the onion is on the loving case

https://www.theonion.com/elon-musk-offering-1-2-billion-in-grants-to-any-projec-1822808899

gently caress it, it's short enough to quote

the onion posted:

FREMONT, CA—Calling his profound feelings of emptiness “almost too painful to bear,” Elon Musk, founder of Tesla, SpaceX, Neuralink, the Boring Company, and a variety of other tech and infrastructure firms, reportedly offered $1.2 billion in grants Wednesday to any project that could make him feel complete. “Even after all I’ve accomplished in this world, there is still a gaping hole inside of me that no amount of innovation or entrepreneurship has been able to fill,” said Musk, who added that he would consider funding any initiative, in any industry, at any scale that might begin to close the ever-widening chasm at the core of his being. “If you can prove that your venture will give me any measure of wholeness—anything, anything at all—my money is yours. All I ask in return is to feel some sense of purpose in this bleak and pointless existence.” Musk went on to offer an additional $1.2 billion to anyone who could show him the meaning of what people often refer to as “love.”

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

tech startup dares the FDA to gently caress them all the way up.

"biohacking"

quote:

“Did you have an ethical commission?” someone in the crowd asked, wondering whether the experiment that was about to take place had undergone any sort of formal review.

“No,” Traywick answered.

He added: “We label everything ‘not for human consumption,’” shortly before baring his black boxer briefs and injecting his own leg.

ah, well all good then, nothing to see here

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
wake up to fishmech getting stymie'd and stymie getting fishmech'd

:discourse:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/961990899885522944

!

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

It barely lasted 100 hours, much less 100 years.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

this reminds me of how the F-35 was designed with some kind of innovative new project management strategy called Concurrent Development that is meant to save time and money and basically it means you start production on the aircraft before the development is finished. e.g. you to manufacture the wings when the design is finished and then you start to work on the engine while the wings are ramping up production and so on. if you need to make changes later bc the engine couldn't make the power you want and you need bigger wings or w/e then you just go back afterwards and retrofit the modified parts to the old airframes. easy!

if you're thinking "but wouldn't that be likely to make things cost more and take longer?" then you are smarter than the entire pentagon

:discourse:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

god loving drat it i hate to have to defend uber but that lady is 100% at fault and that headline is pretty much the inverse of what happened

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

turns out manufacturing is a mature process that doesn't take well to "disruption"

turns out the auto industry kind of figured how to streamline the everliving gently caress out of the assembly line process in some 100 odd years

go figure

i think tesla fanboys literally think the assembly line today looks like the day the first model t rolled off it.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

tbf, from the reports it sounds like the tesla model 3 line may be exactly this

:thurman:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
i know a guy with a volt and he's always posting how low his electricity cost is for it (he lives in an apt and plugs it in in the garage so doesn't pay there) and i always respond with "yeah, because you're stealing the electricity"

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

don’t worry, stormys lawyer on msnbc is saying that they have trumps dick pictures

nothing matters get used to it

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

Also, if there's a tape of trump in a diaper watching a large black man gently caress his wife, he's done for

where the gently caress have you been for the last year

it wouldn't make an iota of difference

he would call it fake news, the chuds on fox news would defend him, the chuds who watch fox news would believe it, and nothing would matter

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Can’t wait to see all those two-year deferred sentences and stern warnings when justice finally comes.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Relevant Tangent posted:

kill all marketers

a good start

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Bhodi posted:

pretty sure id hit them too, tbh there's basically a quarter second of visibility

how much of that is the contrast of the recording though

you don't have 360 degree lidar and radar though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Midjack posted:

is this actually him? he went super reclusive and talked about living a low technology life for years.

yeah, dude retweets poo poo all day.