Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

:rip: old thread

it never scored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

second floor

when's our first urban planning derail?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

FMguru posted:

:rip: xerox

acquired by fujifilm for $6.1bn, set to undergo 10000 job losses from consolidation and redundancy elmination

:stare: yowza

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

why is the loving glovebox electronically controlled?! :psyboom:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

for those who dgi, what fishmech posted was a screenshot of lotus notes

we finally ditched it for outlook last year. i unironically miss sametime, skype for business is utter loving trash.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

https://twitter.com/codylusnia/status/965701219527294978

hahahahahaha

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

holy poo poo yes it does

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

on my way to this atm

slightly envious. post a trip report.

wonder if i can convince my friend to do this for the cyberpunk party he's having later this month, lol

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

unlocking the frunk/trunk and opening the charging port door, adjusting cruise control speed or follow distance, HVAC, audio volume, mirrors -- all touchscreen

also opening the goddamn glovebox

that one still makes my head hurt

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

lmao is this finally it? have we finally reached tech bubble thread salvation? the faithful have been waiting for years. facebook’s facade is crumbling, uber kills someone. has the cleansing arrived?

lol gently caress no of course not

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

modern day cisco is basically "computer associates, but less successful"

buy a thing, run it into the ground, buy new thing

remember when they bought flip video?

wtf was that about

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

From the local subreddit's comments on a fatal car accident, note the scores:

These people really are convinced that this poo poo exists and works and that it's just the government or whatever keeping it from wide use. Incredibly delusional.

facts and reality don't matter, all that counts are beliefs

this kind of thinking scares the poo poo out of me and I have no idea how you combat it

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Wheany posted:

you can have fun if you dial down your cynicism to a level where you would be excited to meet and pose in a photo with mickey mouse.

absolutely not possible

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah I get that all the time. I don't know how their algorithm is so stupid

"You bought: Yamaha P-115 digital piano. Want to receive this every week? Subscribe and save!"

that's how every recommendation algorithm works. you looked at a thing once, now we will show you more thing, endlessly. no further analysis, just a bunch of bullshit.

because of that i've gotten into the habit of opening amazon links in a private window

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

ate all the Oreos posted:

that was the first DVD we ever owned :allears:

my dad likes that song so much that he looped the DVD audio out of the computer and back into the line in and recorded the song off it using only the best late-90's recording software so he could put it on CD's and listen to it on the go

the menu system for the dvd is awesome, looks like the cockpit of the rocket truck and has random overthruster beeps

some trivia about the end credits song: when they filmed that part the song wasn't ready, so instead they played "uptown girls" to give the actors a beat to walk to. same tempo!

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

FMguru posted:

a good dad

the best gift i ever got my dad was a "banzai institute test vehicle" bumper sticker for his truck

my dad has a yoyodyne propulsion systems tshirt

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

apparently smugmug bought flickr https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2018/04/20/smugmug-buys-flickr-verizon-oath/537377002/

i wonder what yahoo verizon is gonna do with tumblr

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i think elon musk is just a dipshit who's read too much scifi and believes because of his "success" with tesla (which has honestly only been through sheer fiscal brute force) he can now do anything

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

not tech bubble per se but we post a lot of general business stuff here anyway so w/e

T-Mobile agrees to acquire sprint
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...a-idUSKBN1I00PH

quote:

the merger would create thousands of jobs and help the United States beat China to creating the next generation mobile network
next generation 5G wireless technology, which is expected to have the speeds necessary to power drones and self-driving cars, Legere said in a statement.
“This isn’t a case of going from four to three wireless companies – there are now at least seven or eight big competitors in this converging market,” Legere said, referring to cable companies as wireless competitors.

:thunk:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

has anyone ever jammed an analog synthesizer and other associated bleep-bloop machines into their car and hooked that up to the horn?

someone should do that. make your horn sound like a cybernetic demon train seeking revenge for someone taking too long when the light changes.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

I basically want my horn to sound like the horns in the game brigador

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

I know there are all sorts of novelty horns out there I just have this mental image of a synthesizer patch panel and tiny keyboard jammed into the center console and I really like that idea a whole lot

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

qirex posted:

I’ve always assumed that “biohacking” silently implies massive amounts of recreational drugs

or some dumbass with way too many gross piercings and a useless RFID chip implanted somewhere

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

cool. good. just really cool and good, apparently we are now living in a goddamn science fiction novel. wonderful.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Jimmy Carter posted:

lol my friends were the only ones who actually were living full-time in their 7-unit apartment building in Flatbush, every other apartment was AirBnBs.

After the building owner got desperate for income during winter when occupancy rates dropped, they changed it to instant-bookings with no security deposit. The units were of course immediately filled with people throwing parties so after 4 straight nights of that bullshit my friends called the city Finance Department.

Building owner was fined over $10k for each unit he was AirBnB-ing out, and shockingly none of the units had CO detectors in them, and the basement apartment wasn't actually on the Certificate of Occupancy so the owner's brother living there was evicted by the city, and at the end of the day they had over $100k in fines.
Owner then had the balls to knock on my friends' door with some goons standing behind him and asked them to leave a month before their lease was up, and the response was "yeah cool we can do that, we can also call my lawyer and get a breach of contract lawsuit started and also conference-call the City Finance department in where we let them know about the other code violations we have documented. Or just leave us be and inspect the apartment on the date we previously established"

He then proceeded to let the city know about the violations anyways on his move-out day, and they wound up hitting the owner with another $50k in fines.

i got blisters on my dick after reading this post

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lolllllll

how far can you make it through this article about living in your office's parking lot? i got to here:

High housing costs have prompted some in the middle and upper classes to rethink what they value – and be willing to give up the rest.

i couldn't get past the tagline either

jesus loving fuckass goddamn gently caress THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING COOL ABOUT BEING HOMELESS holy poo poo none of this is good this is in fact NOT fine aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

this sort of poo poo is being paid for by conservative thinktanks, right? hey, don't worry, this is all fine, this is totally normal now! pay 50% of your income on housing, and if that isnt enough to afford anything well, pfft, no big deal i mean housing is honestly a luxury when you think about it just spend more time at work instead

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

burn everything down

except the guillotines. we'll need those.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

i'm the imagination room

is that a euphemism for the shithouse?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

there's a ~luxury apartment complex~ going up near me that I checked out the website of to see if idk maybe I should move there, as far as i can tell the "luxury" part is that it has wood floors. i was kinda hoping they'd at least like, build it more robustly or something so it might be quieter but watching them build it of course not it's the same as every other modern apartment complex

ok seriously why would you think otherwise

luxury just means "new construction" now

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

masturbation room brah

if I was at all clever I'd post a version of pure imagination but with dirty lyrics

I am not that clever.

sorry.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

if by evil you mean tossing as many of those as you find into a dumpster (because they are clearly litter)

then yes

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

bump_fn posted:

what the gently caress happened itt

on the one hand im kinda disappointed i missed shoe chat cuz i fukken love some good shoes but on the other hand ehhhhh...

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

shoe colostomy bag

lmao

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I prefer to scope em when we're in the bathroom together. Those stall idiots have no clue how hard I'm spying on their shoes.

the real reason to scope out your coworker's shoes is so you can easily identify who is in the bathroom stall

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i have a friend who really really likes video calls on discord and always fuckin' calls me without warning and i have to be all "no, regular people do not like this"

get one of those virtual webcam programs and goatse him

problem solved.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

you can qualify for housing assistance there if your household income is under $250k

palo alto high is probably going to begin construction on dorms for their teachers soon

jeeeeesus. looking forward to watching city governments and various essential services falling to pieces due to impossible housing costs.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

the geocaching community also uses "muggles" as "non-geocachers" which they need a term for, because digging up a magic box from a map invites vandalism so you'd see posts like "searched area, but did not hang around to arouse muggle suspicions"

and it's grating every time

i always saw geocaching as a dumb early-2000s fad to give annoying people an excuse to buy expensive electronics and be even more annoying that wouldnt last but somehow it still persists today

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

raze the burbs

agreed

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

exploded mummy posted:

if aol didn't buy out time warner, then no one would have audited wcw's books and actually did the sensible thing and shutter them, which meant that vince mcmahon still had a chance to lose his hegemony of wrestling, which turned into millions of dollars of wealth, which he then gave to donald trump, and got his wife a cabinet position

i dont remember this episode of connections

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

The Leck posted:

i don't like that i immediately knew what the source image was. stupid internet

there is a beautiful thread you should check out