Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

posting on the first page of the new transit and housing chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

How the gently caress isn't it most cost-effective to have a robot arm do that poo poo if you're planning on running a sensor array for every single bin

Our trainers regaled us with tales of unruly robots. They told us how one robot had tried to drag a worker’s stepladder away. Occasionally, I was told, two Kivas—each carrying a tower of merchandise—collided like drunken European soccer fans bumping chests. And in April of that year, the Haslet fire department responded to an accident at the warehouse involving a can of “bear repellent” (basically industrial-grade pepper spray). According to fire department records, the can of repellent was run over by a Kiva and the warehouse had to be evacuated; eight workers were treated for injuries and one was taken to the hospital. Amazon, for its part, says it “can find no record of an employee being taken by ambulance right after the incident.”

One Camper­Force worker, a white-haired septuagenarian, told me that she was on the verge of quitting because she found the robots so maddening. The Kivas kept bringing her the same shelf to scan. After it happened to her three times, the shelf began going to her husband, who was working 25 feet away. He got it six times. She told me this outside the break room, as we walked past a cheerful-looking member of the cleaning crew. Trailing off from her story, she stared at the worker and demanded, “How’d she get that job? I’d rather do that! I’d rather clean toilets.”

At the start of each of my own shifts, a ponytailed manager in her twenties said “Helloooo, campers!” while her assistant coached us through stretching exercises. Then I spent hours scanning barcodes on whatever the Kivas brought me: everything from gun accessories to dildos (Cloud Nine Delightful Dong). On one occasion, a Kiva carrying 18 boxes of patchouli incense rolled toward my workstation—and then returned twice more to be ­rescanned. When my shift was over, my coworkers could still smell the incense on me. “Saturday Night Fever!” exclaimed a retired minister.

https://www.wired.com/story/meet-camperforce-amazons-nomadic-retiree-army/

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

it was a bitcoin thing

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

the main problem with the stellarator was being able to accurately model the effects of the geometry on the plasma. decades of research and leaps in computer processing has made it a much more feasible design. tokamaks on the other hand have a natural flaw in their geometry. the donut shape creates a natural gradient between the outer and inner walls (the magnetic coil bunches up/is denser on the inner wall).

it's hard to have a realistic outlook on fusion. maybe one day it will be great, i don't follow it closely enough to be able to predict whether it will be commonplace in my lifetime. i think it is as worthy as any other large scientific project, but the public really needs to stop talking about it as if it's an energy technology and instead treat it like a big scientific instrument similar to a telescope or particle accelerator. i think you can still sell the public on the coolness factor of it being a big vessel to store a piece of the sun.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

ate all the Oreos posted:

the thorium fuel cycle requires quite a lot of industrial retooling and infrastructure to actually become viable so i'd say more than a decade away

everything is a decade away.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

also while it's perfectly cool to want to have a crazy swinging bacchanalia as long as everybody involved is a consenting adult you might be surprised that there are some people who honestly don't find that kind of lifestyle appealing

that's fine, but he isn't even doing the dumb nerd stuff that he would like to do.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

lancemantis posted:

there’s a union at my workplace but I have no idea what they do or what the impact of joining is; it may just be full of cranks or something — they send me email newsletters now and then :ohdear:

you should probably join them

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

it'd be cool to get one of those as a cultural artefact... for maybe $10

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

yeah p much that.

also the difference between 40 and 45mpg sounds like a noticeable improvement ("that's 5 more miles on every gallon!"), while 5.2l/100km vs 5.8l/100km sounds like a rounding error ("what, only 600mL more gas over a hundred kilometers??"), though they're equivalent measures. it's just a bad unit for the numbers people talk about.

when you're used to metric you look at those numbers and say .6 more than 5.2 is an increase of roughly 10%. it only looks like a rounding error because you don't use metric everyday.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Shaggar posted:

Celsius... based on arbitrary constants.

the deranged mind of an american

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

President Beep posted:

I’ve got it! uber, only for plane mechanics!

they have that, except the plane uber's itself to mechanics in asia.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

I don't know why they don't give like 2 spicy options and a bland one to peeps in airplanes

people say they like hot and spicy food, but 'hot' flavoured stuff just doesn't sell well.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

did anyone confirm it's the actual sensing camera? because that really does just look like a cheap dash cam mounted on the windshield, it's entirely possible it's just that

i figured it had to be a lovely dashcam because it couldn't see more than two feet in front of the car. it would be criminally negligent to use that thing in a sensing capacity.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

go play outside Skyler posted:

they just need to make an espresso version with capsules, because american coffee is just loving gross

by american coffee do you mean drip/filter coffee? because one of the methods you use to make fancy coffee is filter coffee. the issue is the god awful stale ground coffee most people use, not the way it is brewed.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

smdh if you deign to use a paper filter rather than a gold mesh one in brewing such an elixir

i have to try this coffee. surprised that it's a sydney thing, and not a melbourne thing.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

like, https://www.picariga.lv/ is considered to be a rather upmarket pizza affair over here and you cant just compare the prices.

your pizza looks like a dishrag

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

yes, yes. haha.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

i don't understand how the model 3 factory is doign so badly. factories to mass produce cars and batteries have existed for a long time, what did tesla do to make these special factories that can't make any cars

it is a former gm/toyota factory. it produced 6000 vehicles a week on average, and over 8000 a week at its peak. they closed it in 2010 because fremont california is an expensive and bad location to produce cars. so why is it producing about a thousand cars a week? the plant purchase was mainly the building, and not the equipment or knowledge. the production line and retooling was designed by tesla. their production goal is 500,000/year, or 70,000/year more cars than was ever produced at that site.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Bhodi posted:

i'm the guy who continues to use autopilot after it tries to kill me multiple times

the basilisk demands unwavering faith in tech

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i've noticed that too but other stores seem to be doing it also, at least for the "install camera/display and put MONITORING IN PROGRESS on the screen" bit. i would not be surprised at all if target is doing facial recognition considering their (creepy imo) history of store recon and helping intelligence agencies

it's almost certainly doing nothing. just the idea that they are being watched is enough to stop many people from stealing.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

tesla moving to the star citizen model by taking reservations on concept cars that will never be produced. looking forward to the model 3 with a built in soda fountain.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

gen z are killing akinator

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

immanentize yourself and face to eschaton

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

i remember the joke that every person in yospos has made about the zuck

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

i'm just not feeling it today, sorry.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Apparently if you sniff more than about 0.3 grams of pure lsd, you get serotonin syndrome

Lol

you could probably cause serotonin syndrome with 300mg of certain anti-depressants as well

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

they charge you per mile ridden, like uber

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

western inventions with chinese characteristics

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

willy wonka for internet nerds seems like a good fit for his personality and aptitude for self-promotion. it might also make money if he keeps his candy ambitions modest.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...89f0_story.html

hey remember that time our rocket blew up on the pad while we were fueling it? how about next time we put some people in there too to make it more fun

by "they came up with a creative idea" they mean "nasa came up with this idea decades ago and rejected it as stupid," of course

it's the most undergrad smart guy idea too

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

elon's candy business has me pining for some blackpool rock

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

i'm the chart showing the woman was frustrated first in argument instigated by the man being frustrated.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

rjmccall posted:

not really. it’s blown up in a bunch of places, i was surprised to see it not get traction here before

i know all these people ofc

there is nothing new, absurd, or humorous about it. dude is just an arsehole, and i have to imagine that most people here are tired of it by now. i'm sure it's a bigger deal to the people in the open source community, but we're one step removed from it. it's just another arsehole getting mad at progressives.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

we have lots of publicly available pictures of dogs that we can use to train the vision ai...

*every object is recognised as a dog*

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

elon is a very normal person

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

fritz posted:

(like the big fancy park that's only for palo alto residents, and they do have a guard checking)

this is america as hell

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

no idea what lacroix is

i've spent enough time in this sub-forum that i'm Techbro Kobayashi

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

surprised that flavoured soda water isn't elon's new venture

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

eschaton posted:

you should grade your students on an early-90s style tired/wired scale complete with nigh-unreadable fonts and color schemes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

rjmccall posted:

also the helipads are dinner plates and are held up by sheer magic, and are vertically staggered for some reason?

they're connected to the square blocks under the floor, adjacent to the pads.