Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i think we all assumed it was going to be pretty easy to wait for the pop to start a new thread, it feels a bit empty to have another intermediary one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you were a woman the story might have gone a little differently

which while true is too broad a societal problem to be used as an argument against uber specifically, risks just diminishing it to "a few bad a actors"

also, i mean, surely no one is arguing that uber isn't cheap and convenient? it is just that any look beyond that reveals some pretty nasty truths both about uber and the way things are going in general

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mrmcd posted:

Oh, huh. Well at least one review suggests they might be typical Ikea garbage so maybe that explains the reduced cost.

from way back, but while the app was a garbage fire, the ikea bulbs support homekit these days, apparently with much better results. not that i've tried them out myself, but seems a good try

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the scholar discussion is either way tainted a fair bit by the fact that academic publishing really needs to change more in response to the new realities that people actually get at a much broader set of often worse papers

in the small whenever i have a paper at some small conference and then write it up into a full journal version for e.g. theoretical computer science, where the historical logic would be that that is a fine journal which people subscribe to and read, the fact is that the (usually then flawed and outdated) paper at the conference will keep racking up the citations while the tcs one will get one now and then slowly, simply by virtue of being less accessible and therefore less searchable etc.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

do feel free to take a break in positing possible future energy sources to enjoy the fact that solar with storage is in fact looking set to take over a large section of the market

did not expect to feel this optimistic about the energy future just a few short years ago

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

loosening up on cars seems the most significant (short of straight-up entertainment/media), since it seems the ability to just pop over somewhere is the most detrimental to making a necessarily close-knit community

actual tools and machinery only seems like it'd be an issue if it turned out that they don't have enough work to do, but i imagine they'll just get more done and may just end up bringing in a bit of excess money if it comes to that

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

President Beep posted:

that whole situation is absurd for a few reasons.

eh, it is just the standard late-10s absurdity of some systematic force making sure nothing matters by making the things that matter the most clearly irrelevant

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

to a slight extent i suspect it is an overextension of whitehats in security that has made engineers incapable of getting that these things should be considered before built, the sort of mindset that everything that can be done will get done no matter what, so e.g. making a proof of concept public research would be the best outcome

which is a decent philosophical underpinning for a lot of computer security. not all even there though, arguably, like in my little home town where enterprising whitehats widely published how to fake the very cheap tickets for the municipal bus system, which caused largely the maximum possible harm (the system had to be reworked at great cost), and which i hold was unlikely to happen without them

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

that's how you know we aren't in a simulation; no animals evolved to rapidly vibrate and clip through the world

lol at assuming that quantum tunneling is physics working as intended

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i am a news cycle or two behind, but i hope someone has pointed out that self-driving cars are currently running at ~200 fatalities per billion miles, where the us national average is 12.5.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ate all the Oreos posted:

seriouspost: i have a friend who has severe dyslexia who can't use anything except those loving flowchart visual programming bullshit things and she's basically writing an entire videogame in one (that I plan on kinda, coming in behind her and rewriting chunks of it in raw code before it's released) and she's been able to do some really impressive, complex poo poo with it so far that she'd never be able to do any other way :shrug:

there does seem to be some actual progress on this front, i have flip-flopped back to believing that there might be some promise to visual programming still

granted i do think that you want the smalltalk-style persistent image programming for visual programming, which is fantastically out of style, but it does not seem that improbable that it may come back around

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Poniard posted:

i purposely skip the bonfire at work so i can just jump out the window and respawn at home

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Not a Children posted:

isn’t 300mg a preposterous amount of lsd to do

it's about 1000 (1960s era) doses

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Wheany posted:

lol if your work requires you to look even relatively decent

lol if you put up with a commute rather

i'll wear a tie as long as i can languidly stroll to work in it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

TerminalRaptor posted:

Your connection to the server has timed out.

Would you like to submit a crash report?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

having enjoyed carbonated water with very light fruit-based flavoring for over 30 years the sudden trendiness of one brand of such (and related internet bellyaching about it) is a bit confusing

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i am certainly getting a fair few emails from companies i have no interest in hearing from again imploring me to fill out a form so they can contact me with new exciting products and services in the future

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mostly the real edge or the amateur investor is that most of the time just buying stocks randomly does generate healthy returns, where making shorts has the equivalent average loss. even if you never have a trade blow up on you the averages acting against you makes long-term success difficult to achieve

shorts largely make sense to e.g. own a nasdaq100 index instrument and an amzn short of 10% of the value of the index instrument you have, to remove the amazon part of it (if you figure that amazon is unnecessarily risky)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pretty much, but the cases where it may make sense are those where you in effect own a long (you want to get rid of but can't directly) of the same size as the short. e.g. shorting to get rid of a part of a fund or other composite thing, or shorting rather than selling when you want out now but want to defer the gains into a new year, those kinds of (extremely rare to be worth it) cases

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Stringent posted:

i'd just assumed he meant jeff bezos tbh

pretty sure he means to talk about some in his mind clear monolithic idea of old industry which loves internal combustion, ink on paper and workplace safety

but it is funny either way

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

really going to enjoy the increasingly likely hard militarization of space, wont change anything fundamental since icbms pretty much has things covered already, but as china keeps sending poo poo up there will be a much more clearcut sword-of-damocles psychology to it

best buy more ar-15s to preserve your freedom

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

fishmech posted:

news website comments tho, which have been a thing for like almost 20 years!!

this is indeed where a lot of the rot happened, there is a reason why most smaller publications have just dropped them, and others have largely cracked down hard on the content in various ways

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

overhydration is becoming a more and more significant health issue because apparently people cannot loving begin to grasp the idea of moderation in anything ever

for the record perfectly clear urine is not good, and you should not exceed 3 liters of fluid a day on the regular

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

James Baud posted:

Those of us who were there for it would make aggressive use of "kill thread" functionality for the off topic crap that didn't entertain us and if someone was annoying enough with starting new threads, they'd eventually earn a rule to kill all threads started by them.

I recently started reading some (still!) active newsgroups again lately for the first time in probably ten years and I still way prefer the experience to anything else. Quote trimming, bottom posting, threading, subject changes when appropriate (frickin' Gmail).

man, you fooled me into the rather difficult task of making it onto usenet, only to discover that for any of my areas of interest it remains absolutely irredeemable trash, as i should have realized beforehand

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

To be fair this is directed at athletes who are going to lose a huge amount of salt and water through sweating so it's not as bad as some office drone pounding 2 gallons of water a day and getting kidney pain

this is rather the opposite of the issue, athletes are the ones who are liable to overdo it badly http://www.mdalert.com/article/every-year-more-athletes-are-injured-by-hyponatremia-than-dehydration https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/07/150709092727.htm

as muckswirler correctly noted; drink according to thirst and you'll be fine, but drinking a lot at once (the body can't really store a lot of extra water, so your kidneys just have to go full tilt to get rid of it again) or despite not being thirsty at minimum has no benefit and worst-case carries health risks

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

yeah, mentalfloss just put out an article about gatorade that starts with this:

so these are definitely people who need to monitor their hydration.

i don't think anyone would argue with that, the point i started off making was that you can't in general just carelessly overhydrate arbitrarily much either (though that perhaps was a bit misdirected in context)

two pretty interesting points from the material on overhydration: supplemental salt intake doesn't seem to do much to keep you safe https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25551404 ; and; dehydration is no doubt way more common, but it seems to be less dangerous (just by lethality). i'd guess the body is pretty tuned to protest the lack of water, where the overhydration issues sneak up on you

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the modern thing is to start with characters fully flanderized and then ineffectually paste tiny pieces of characterization onto them in the hopes of them randomly amalgamating into something human-like (this is is known as the daniels-schur process)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i clicked the link, and the guy who calls himself "charlie sweatpants" pinpoints the shark jump in classic season 8 episode homers enemy. other fine books written by this fellow apparently includes "J.J. Abrams Is Bad at Movies"

certainly the sort of hard-hitting analysis which i am looking for in 2018

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

there is some deep truth about the nature of the human beast in how entirely commercial writers still drag their strange hangups into their writing in such big ways

the really hopeful thing about all of this though is how we have changed quickly enough that we are shocked at what we used to not even see even a decade back

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ate all the Oreos posted:

oh man i completely forgot that, i haven't heard it in like a decade and a half at least

took until this comment for me to recall its existence. one of the first digital audio files i downloaded/had

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

well yeah that's fine. cooking dinner while the laundry is in the dryer is "multitasking" but that's not what people mean. you'll meet folks who actually believe they can, say, write emails while simultaneously talking to someone on the phone and looking over a spreadsheet, and save time by doing them all at once. inevitably either (1) they don't save any time, would have finished them in the same time by doing each in sequence, and they just act frazzled and disorganized or (2) they just do all of the tasks poorly. or both

i hypothesize that there's a strong correlation between self-identified multitaskers and people who crash their cars while texting.

except just keeping multiple things in mind *is* rather what people mean, and i think this research is the classic kind that is true but misses the point

effective mental timers and broad awareness of the world even when preforming talks does summarize multitasking to me

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i mean, supermicro no doubt specifies part suppliers, and will keep an eye on use of counterfeits. for firmware i presume they jtag around the boards and check what is loaded at least to some extent (and either way the chips might get reflashed with a new version and you're locked out). it is not so obvious that this way is really harder than the alternatives

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

ah yes, it is the ai that was sexist, not amazon's hiring practices that it was trained on.

on the one hand this is true, but the lesson is a lot deeper than that, in that you have to be loving sure you were an eternal kind of even-handed and objective at all things before you think you can teach an ai from the decisions you previously made

like, it is not like any organization could possibly apply such a system without it just highlighting *some* lovely pattern of decisions from the past

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

busses don't work with sprawl is the thing, if you manage density and decent affordability a lot of options open up (because things will cluster around some socially relevant points anyway)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i think a crucial bit of missing background to this conversation is that going places is hugely overrated. just stay where you are imho. or if you're really set on travel, establish a bound on the number of times you'll visit any one place, lessening the need for systematized travel arrangements

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

other way around, i think -- medical doctors in germany are not entitled to formally use the term Doktor (they have some other qualified version that i can't remember), nor are people from other countries holding an MD. even phds from the USA have to have received their doctorate from an R1 to call themselves Doktor in germany.

and, unlike certain states in the union and the term "engineer," germany actually will nail you to the wall over this as a form of professional misrepresentation

ya, currently working in germany and have to put up with extreme usage of titles by my colleagues (as germany is pretty traditional about that stuff) while i am a 'cybernetic vermin, phd', despite it being from an almost carbon-copy-the-same system

all very silly, the way titles invariably end up being

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

if i was to draw a line i'd say it is pretty appropriate to call phds who teach classes 'doctor'. it does after all mean 'teacher', and they are getting a pretty lovely deal for a lot of effort there

phd's in industry can certainly gently caress off on that front though, and usually that includes me

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

wmata is building (or will be building) a new metro station near "national landing." they had initially decide it would have two entrances, then quietly cut it down to one due to cost. with amazon setting up shop there, they've decided to make it two again, for which amazon is not footing a dime of the additional cost.

idk, when it comes to actual public infrastructure i figure it makes sense to not rely on private actors to put up the money just because they are projected to create demand

"that's what taxes are for" is what i would say if the stupider end hadn't been amazon *also* being forgiven a lot of taxes

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is a good idea, but not that good a list, and a lot of the editorializing is dubious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

sovereignty goes both ways, it is none of the us' business what the uk does, whether the us courts have said that documents are super-duper secret or not

though, more directly:

Krankenstyle posted:

corporations don't have rights imo so gently caress em