Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cat Face Joe posted:

mighty gently caress just build a goddamn TRAIN

here is why elon wants to build a hyperloop seven million feet underground

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherman%27s_neckties

so proles can't gently caress it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
normal brain: amazon is helping americans deal with rsi
expanding brain: amazon is using this to track workers
universe brain: amazon will soon replace DC employees with robots controlled by outsourced tech workers overseas, helping americans deal with rsi

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
more on amazon,that fashy panopticon job grovel thing is being normalized

i applied for a job at Ping Identity (no qualms about calling them out) and the first step was a purposely un-completable skills assessment in which I had to be on camera the whole time as their AI algorithms deduced my stress levels and nonverbal communication

I, of course, noped the gently caress out of that one.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

this is a solved problem

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hi i'm an emergency responder trying to pop open a tesla that just got hit by an f150 with 3/4 of a tank of gas everywhere. one of my favorite things to do is try to yank a couple of bare wires out of a tesla's rear end and try to connect jumper cables to them without making sparks as a screaming person bleeds out in the cab

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
remember the pinto

almost every passenger car has the tanks tucked under the back seats now. SOP for fuel pump replacement these days is step 1: remove rear seat

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the only reason we ever put them under the trunk was just mass production convenience. with body on frame cars we could just put a big rectangular tank between the rails and run little brackets in to hold it down. handling wise it sucked b/c its 100 lbs of poo poo sloshing around on the extreme rear end end of the car. now we build with unibody construction and its easier and safer to put that poo poo basically dead center in the car

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

there's teh VW Thing heater.

yep thats a fuel line
and a spark plug
and a blower
and an exhaust pipe

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah so basically if you wanted spare-tire redundancy, you had finite driving time in the rain

i mean it was a clever af hack for a superbudget car but yeeeeeeeah

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQhfcdQf1QA

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yah corvair notion wasnt bad on the face, they just didnt have suspension modeling back then rly. couple of tweaks and it woulda been fine

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yah their response was really bad, wont deny that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i know people hate uber as a company but i was able to get home saturday night after the bar with zero recollection of it happening, except the fact that i had a charge from uber on my credit card. still makes me feel like im in the future.

i did this 2 weeks ago but with quarter mile walks bookending a light rail ride. not impress'd

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the weirdest social interaction i had for the first time a couple months ago was 11 ppl leaving a dinner and going outside and staring at 11 phones watching 11 uber drivers converge on our location

that cant be healthy for society

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Schadenboner posted:

But what did the tap water taste like?

i had 0 complaints about SF tap water on any side of the peninsula

next trip we explore oakland tho

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the 'hot springs' bubbling up into the pretty pools downtown in hot springs arkansas are like 93% gas-heated tap water and 7% actual thermal spring water, as is the lower federal bound for legally calling it a hot spring

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
we used to have match fights in the big park with the hot springs

go into the Arlington, steal like 20 books of matches ("steal") then chase each other around flinging lit matches at each other

goddamit youth was fun

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

lancemantis posted:

isn't hot springs a national park?

it is indeed. mainly so they dont raze the bathhouses for condos or stupid poo poo

e: just a little tiny strip downtown. the rest is poo poo dixie slum until you get to the lake houses

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Munkeymon posted:

I think the official explanation for why the core landed so hard was that it ran out of fuel on the way down. doesn't that mean it leaked more than expected or did they miscalculate the fuel required? well I guess one implies the othet

riding the edge between "we are too heavy" and "we may need a bit of extra fuel in case a crosswind nudges us this way or that" basically

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
bedtime is actually good and helped me normalize my sleep schedule a little bit.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
reminds you gently to go the f to sleep and keeps track of sleep/wake (it assumes you go to bed on time, but will mark your 'end of sleep' as when you start fuckin with your phone in the AM)

and then it can graph trends and lay it out nicely for you

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i mean thats a pretty judgey way to word it but yes, it is for people that have problems self-regulating sleep. if you dont need it dont use it i guess?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fishmech posted:

idk man it sounds like something smartwatch/fitnesswatch/etc things are much better for cuz they can also detect when you were loving around with other stuff thats not specifically your phone

yeah i believe if you have a watch or fitness band Bedtime uses its accelerometer to keep track of when you are actually asleep. i know 3rd party ones do it for sure

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
they made it a point to brag at her funeral about how my grandma dropped out in 8th grade to have babies

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
username/post dunk

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
My cousin was in the back of a truck with 7 other dudes and it wrecked and he went flyin'

He lived though. Went on to do time for man's laughter later on

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
To clarify, him killing a dude in a bar was unrelated to the truck thing.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

i think qirex was the one who posted the original most-san-francisco thing overheard at the ferry building: "my doula makes the best kale chips"

my personal most-san-francisco thing i've seen was while i was waiting outside a parking garage. a guy in a $100k tesla pulled in, parked in the non-ev space beside a $20k nissan leaf that was using the EV charger, hopped out, looked around for a second, then unplugged the leaf and stuck the cord in his own car and walked away. superficial eco-conscious liberalism while actively loving over anyone less well-off than yourself

my most SF thing was uhh right around 3rd and brannan. I was walking home from work and there was a car pulled over with one of those mobile repair service trucks behind it. the 20s couple that i assume were the car owners stood with angry arms crossed while the guy from the truck put the donut spare on their vehicle.

i couldnt stop laughing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
like i know i hem and haw and toss my southern fried hick aphorisms around but that one was like a golem built up of meme dust walking and talking before my eyes

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
wait lmao all these loving computers on these cars and they dont have a way to secure charging to your ride lmfaoooOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingston_Fossil_Plant_coal_fly_ash_slurry_spill

disgusting

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the aftermath

that's not a hill of earth
thats a 25 foot embankment of coal plant ash.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

goddamnedtwisto posted:

wait isn't that just town gas production? that's the big 'murica-saving innovation? the technology so filthy that there are still literal hundred-feet-high mounds of extravagantly-toxic waste dotted around every city in the uk?

yes lmao

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
some dorkwad just shot his loving car into space its not a materials problem, its a funding problem

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
like sure,maybe we can't create a low flow turbine that lasts more than 18 months in tidal seawater. that might just be part of the deal. hell we rebuild airplane engines every 1k hours.
but maybe if we had some concrete plants to drop mad seawalls and a decent turbine fab plant on this side of the pacific, a little bit nearer where we want to install them, it might still be feasible considering _the power you'll make is loving free with no emissions_

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

ate all the Oreos posted:

this generation's "we can put a man on the moon but we can't..." is going to be "some dorkwad sent his car to the asteroid belt but we can't..." ugh gently caress

same argument aimed at hypercapitalists instead of the coldwar industrial complex

also elon musk is a poo poo eating fuckbag

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

hobbesmaster posted:

wrong account, fishmech

you are younger than 35

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
> want to open the glovebox? press this button on the touchscreen!

WHAT

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Suspicious Dish posted:

Why is it parked on a grassy hill offroad

autopilot + entropy my dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp