Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Amazon patent to track how many times you jack it on the job:

Link

insert bracelet into paint agitator, dominate performance leaderboards, set off every RSI alarm in the system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
you'd think light bulbs of all things would use powerline networking

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
from now on all my secret potentially litigated projects will be named "updog"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I like my women like I like my coffee

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I was going to say "covered in bees"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
tangentially related to techbub but the falcon heavy launch worked. elon musk's car is now in a solar orbit forever. 2 boosters came back and landed simultaneously, unclear what happened to the core but even if they lost it this is a big success

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
fuel is not that expensive, it's just liquid oxygen and kerosene

qirex posted:

I think I remember seeing that having a reusable space shuttle ended up costing like 3x more than just building a new disposable vehicle every time

that's because the shuttle is a really bad design in a dozen different ways

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mrmcd posted:

Do you think Sarah would mind if we changed the thread title to "techbubb.le: laser is the sauce"?

change the title to "tech bubble 451: it was a pleasure to burn VC"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

for whatever reason that reminded me that the SR-71 was a thing, and it was one of the coolest of things

the sr-71 had static requirements for the entire project and it was also top secret so minimal outside interference

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

yeah I read ben rich's book on skunk works, it was really cool

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the best sr-71 story

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
nah they’re spinning it as “we wanted to burn every drop of fuel in the final stage, we had more than we expected because reasons”

the mission was to lose the car in deep space so it’s never seen again and by that metric it’s a success

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
despite the dick waving in the aerospace industry and this thread, the sr-71 was consistently tracked and locked onto by radars and fighters operated by sweden of all places

there's an sr-71 (actually an a-12) at the intrepid, it's just as cool as you think up close

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

President Beep posted:

god dammit. what have you done?!

:jeb:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ate all the Oreos posted:

one day elon will finally invent his crowning achievement, a robotic wife that doesn't talk back at him when he needs her to show up and be a pretty object to validate his self image

and when he gets tired of it, launch it into space

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
marketing: $100
R&D: $100
nazis: $5000
customer service: $100

please help, my company is dying

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

infernal machines posted:

tech startup dares the FDA to gently caress them all the way up.

"biohacking"

hearing this in jk simmons' voice

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the curious case of benjamin snooze button

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I really don't see the big deal as it's already completely normal to have electronic reminders for things like "go to this appointment" or "your food is done cooking" or whatever. why not "you should go to bed now"

especially if you know you're someone who frequently loses track of time while their attention is held by whatever you do to veg out at the end of the day

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

another few apps like this and you'll be able to build a fully automated slumlord

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I have the exact same name as a leading right-wing media shitbird so you have to be very specific to google me

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
how was it not already against the law to drive around with someone in the trunk

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
why on earth did you paste all that it’s not even paywalled

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

infernal machines posted:

is there some ongoing fyad campaign to come up with the most tortured version of "your posting is bad"?

wasn't that the official purpose of fyad in the first place before it became embryonic weird twitter

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2018/02/amazon-offer-pay-quit/553202/

quote:

The reasoning goes like this: Employees resist an initial temptation—to quit Amazon and walk out with cash—and by resisting it, they may actually feel more committed to their jobs, said Ian Ayres, a professor at Yale Law School who wrote about the concept of The Offer in his book Carrots and Sticks: Unlock the Power of Incentives to Get Things Done. Amazon employees who evaluate The Offer and then turn it down have decided they like the company enough to stay a little longer. They then want their future behavior to match that feeling, Ayres said.

When I talked to Katherine Milkman, a professor at the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania, she brought up a similar idea, from the realm of social psychology. She talked about the mental pressure humans feel to resolve cognitive dissonance—if people have two conflicting beliefs, they’ll try to rationalize one to make it fit with the other. In this case, workers may dislike their jobs at Amazon, but if they turn down The Offer, it means they passed on a chance to quit. It’s likely that they’ll then try to convince themselves that they actually like working at Amazon, Milkman said. To pick a more extreme example of this phenomenon, when people join a cult that says the world is going to end on a certain date and then it doesn't end, they tend to end up believing more strongly in the cult, because they can’t put up with the cognitive dissonance between what they believe and what actually happened.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
be your own bank store

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bump_fn posted:

be the capitalism you want to see in teh world

hey can we get a mod in here, suicide requests are bannable

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
is there an app for calling a tow truck

uber but for ubers

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

President Beep posted:

i need to figure out a way to monetize bad posts. income security for life.

start a social media site, sell to one of the bigger ones

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
gotta put predator silhouettes on the glass

anyone have a couple of big android robot stickers

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mrmcd posted:

Of course it's loving Megan McArdle, she of the broken calculator.

wait is this not a joke? someone actually proposed that for realsies and that's not a photoshop making fun of oblivious tech people

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

"Little Elon! what in HELL are you building?"
"Jeez! Shut UP uncle Dreyfuss!"
"What's...where's...how do I even begin to describe your glovebox/touchscreen situation?!"
"I don't know! How about by shutting up!"
"You couldn't make your car any more electric, so you made an electric latch for your glovebox! SAY IT!"
"Jeez! It's high tech! Shut UP!"
"How come you kids are so GOD DAMNED stupid and just do the stupidest thing possible every SINGLE SECOND OF THE GOD DAMNED DAY!"
"I'm GOIN' TO MARS! I ain't NEVER comin' back!"

code:
Dear Diary,
Today I yelled at Little Elon
again. I guess I really lost my
cool this time, 'cause a little
while later this corporate PR
exec showed up to question me.
I could see her lacy bra
through her sheer blouse, and
pretty soon we were gettin' mad
-rutty.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
favorite thing about iOS autocorrect is that it will offer to change “guns” to the bicep emoji

e: only seems to do it in messages tho

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
one weird trick to make money through streaming royalty abuse, spotify hates it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I was about to ask what the units of "emphasis on manhood" are but clearly it's inches

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ADINSX posted:

I don't understand, what is a wedding geofilter?

snapchat feature sort of like a hashtag, except:

-visual elements on photos
-can only be used from a certain physical location
-you have to pay for it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
if by "weird poo poo" you mean "ads"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
reminder that that sort of price discrimination for political ads is illegal on tv and print, they just haven’t updated it to cover internet yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

flakeloaf posted:

the idea of the electoral college generally is just so weird to me, who does it benefit

the original reason for the electoral college was to insulate the presidential selection process from both a) congress and b) the complexities inherent in a nationwide popular vote across territory with varying degrees of slavery. additionally, it would make federation more appealing to low-population states by assuring them they would not be consistently outvoted by the large ones. so the main benefit was to the people proposing that the constitution be adopted because it helped win needed support

part of the original plan was that the members of the electoral college would exercise some discretion in choosing a president, with voters selecting who they felt would make the best decision rather than just voting for their preferred president by proxy. but this was before the rise of organized political parties so the founders didn't foresee blind loyalty becoming a problem

a lot of the dumb things about the US system can be traced back to this assumption that the government would always consist of decent honorable men voting for other decent honorable men