Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
so yall heard about apple's latest fuckup?

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/doj-sec-investigating-apple-over-disclosures-of-iphone-slow-down-update/

Apple under investigation by DOJ, SEC for disclosures of its iPhone slow-down update
The government is looking into possible securities laws violations.
Apple's battery fiasco continues to grow as the US government gets involved. According to a Bloomberg report, the Department of Justice and the Securities and Exchange Commission are investigating if Apple violated securities laws with its disclosures surrounding a software update that intentionally slowed down the performance of older iPhones. The DOJ and SEC have requested more information from Apple on the subject.

No other details have been reported since the investigation is still new. It's possible that the government is looking into Apple violating the securities laws that require publicly traded companies to disclose accurate financial information, including risk factors associated with investing in the company. The DOJ and SEC may consider the update that included the slow-down practices a risk factor that could affect the company's stock and one that wasn't properly disclosed to investors. As of writing this article, Apple's stock fell 1.02 percent to $166.21 per share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Suspicious Dish posted:

eh most of it was people posting about houses and trains rather than tech bubbles

Amazon built those Cool spheres from portal 2 and put plants in them but they won't pay for healthcare for their warehouse employees

Pretty sure Amazon's New health insurance thing will lol

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

one of the problems developing rail routes is that you don't necessarily know what demand exists until the route is already built and people get to experiment with it

lots of things that would be practical with a $10 ticket to a train that leaves every hour don't work at all with a $200 commuter jet that leaves twice a day

why on earth would the ticket price for a line clear across Missouri be $10 absent massive subsidies Missouri would never have

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

atomicthumbs posted:

how are you going to find the one or one dozen bullet holes letting the air into your evacuated train tube

Easy, you just look at the point where the massive implosion of the entire line started

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

You Am I posted:

One has to wonder how an underground transportation system is going to work in one of the most geologically active areas in the planet

Hey, maybe one of the tunnel drillers might set off "The Big One"

the subways in san Francisco and los angeles, or for that matter tokyo, all work out fine.

they all happen to have a lot more engineering competence applied than lone skum, the guy who managed to gently caress up producing a lovely car

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

idk man this sounds rather like ebay's gonna come crawling back to paypal

or ebay will finally collapse once amazon finds a way to handle one off sales in a proper way

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Xaris posted:

does ebay still take like 35% cut of the sale? because lol

no?

ebay store owners pay 8.75% of value up to $50, 4% of value $50.01 to $1,000.00 and 2% of the value over $1000

everyone else, well:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
driving cross country wouldn't be particularly impressive. time your trip to avoid rush hours on either extreme end of i-80 and it'd be pretty smooth sailing

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
i really don't get how some of you are mystified as to why people would want a car to drive for them

did your great grandpas stand around wondering why their wives were excited about having a dishwasher and a clotheswasher? did your dads get confused why you'd want to look at something on a computer instead of a book?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Enderzero posted:

oh idk maybe because if the dishwasher fails there's a mess on the floor, whereas if the self driving car fails, im dead?

sure, nowadays, like 100 years after they were first produced

a lot of them originally ran off flammable gases and such and could easily end up exploding while they were functioning.

or hell they'd be like a ton of early electrical appliances and routinely start fires that burned down your whole house with you in it because people hadn't figured out insulation yet or would run every appliance in the house through cables going into one or two lightbulb sockets in the whole place.

lancemantis posted:

because they've successfully marketed robotic cars as being in the tech company cluster and people tend to be optimistic and mystified by anything that can be placed there

or in the classic joke fashion:

1980s: don't ever get in a strangers car!
20XX: meet strangers on the internet and get in their cars!

who's "they"? the car industry that's been saying "oh yeah we'll have it soon" for literally since 1939 if not earlier and who doesn't sell them? or ol musky who sells a tiny amount of fake ones to a small amount of rich people?

it's not like the mass market is buying self-driving cars of either the real or fake variety so getting mad at people for going "well if it existed and i could afford it i sure would like one" is absurd.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
watch this video for some cool facts on how easy it was to be killed by everyday household stuff like 100 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7kxUyvkXjw

amazing concepts like "hey what if we made a placemat full of live wires to the main electric supply so you could just jam devices like lightbulbs into it? now why are you saying spilling liquids on it might be dangerous"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Elysiume posted:

if I want to get to the airport my options are a 25 minute lyft or 60+ minutes on public transportation (bus + light rail). that’s not even counting the fact that back when I used to take the bus to work (I walk now), the bus was usually offschedule and sometimes full, which can tack an extra 20+ minutes on to even find a usable bus. pubtrans is awful in a lot of the US

public transit is quite often awful all over the world, the us isn't special at all

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Elysiume posted:

yeah that's fine, I stand by my point that taking a lyft to the airport doesn't automatically mean you hate poor people

why dont you just drive, nerd

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

eschaton posted:

why would you want a car that drives itself if you could take a train instead
it's a billion times less likely for that to happen for whatever random scenario the person's driving for.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mrmcd posted:

Lol these are in NYC too, which has fantastic tap water.

their whole gimmick originally was going to be only having the water available with their app

looks like they had to add a normal free button for water in order to get places to actually install them

but their main sell was that it was supposed to be "look now you can fill your water bottle easily without having to tip it over or something to catch the arc!" but a ton of public water fountains had already been getting converted to have a bottle filler built in for years. l

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ate all the Oreos posted:

the point i was gonna make originally was that, at least here, all the bottled water bottling plants don't pull from the municipal supplies, they pay primo prices to rape our natural beautiful springs directly

then i realized i was getting into an argument about goddamn bottled water and dropped that angle :shrug:

what point is that, exactly. your municipal supply is coming from the same place

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

one is pumped directly out of the springs, decreasing their available flowrates and affecting wildlife downstream, the other is coming from a well sunk into a completely different far away part of the aquifer that has much less of an impact

uh, thats not how that works. drawing from one part of the aquifer affects it all bro.

thinking like you do is why idiot great plains farmers swear its not THEIR farm that's a problem

lancemantis posted:

or even outside the context of uber, think about lots of places people gather and how many of the groups of people there all drove individually, even when some of them live in the same neighborhoods, because thats just how toxic our car culture is

lol that you believe this.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

it's not meant to be a burn or anything i just really don't feel like doing the whole "fishmech arguing against something you didn't actually say while calling you an idiot" thing right now

have you considered: not saying dumb idiot things, florida man.

i realize it's difficult, being florida and all.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Xaris posted:

i can wrap my head around people believing a lot of dumb poo poo like jesus created all humans q.e.d. or even hollow earth and reptilian people, or chemtrails, or vaccine autism, or whatever, but my brain cannot process someone believing flatearth. its just one big blank going ok no way but what about x, and y, and z, how.. how could they evne think that? aaaaaaa

you misunderstand, most of the modern flat earthers think the earth is a simulation or a giant movie set truman show sort of thing being run or created by some sort of beyond human civilization or powers.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Schadenboner posted:

Is the planet on which this simulation is hosted round or flat?

E: Also, how does the tap water there taste?

well a lot of them think that the real other planets out there (not the fake ones you see inside the set/simulation!!) are round, some think everything's on a flat plane etc

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

poo poo i have heard today multiple times

"if anybody can do it, how come no private company but SpaceX has launched a payload to space?"

to which my reply of "it gets done all the time, regularly, by a dozen different private companies, this is nothing new. who do you think has been launching all those telecom satellites?"

is met with "yeah, well it's still really cool and made me excited and blah blah blah" and then some poo poo about steve jobs and how they're the same and i want to die

Elon musk is extremely Steve Jobs. Unfortunately he hasn't yet died of outright hubris like stebbe did

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

to his credit, unlike steve ballmer, elon by musky for elon musk for elon musk the muskman looks like he was smart enough to take some of his money and hire an image consultant

doesn't seem to have helped

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

goddamnedtwisto posted:

99.9% certain it was the other way round, the chines were to help minimise mach tuck and it was only discovered many years later that they gave it a considerably lower radar cross section

especially as:

nobody had even begun to think about rcs until the 70s, let alone knew how to manage it

they knew from observations of the starfighter (but didn't understand why until the 70s) that afterburner plumes give absolutely massive returns on radar

the only angle it reduces rcs from is straight-on and pretty much by definition a hostile never gets to see one straight-on

the sr-71 was explicitly designed to reduce radar cross-section, why would they have not thought about it???

like that was the whole point of the project, build plane that go fast and hard to detect because they identified that the problem with the u2 was not enough fast and not enough hard to detect

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they spent a lot of time thinking about it, but they did not have the benefit of modern computer modeling in design

some things were learned the hard way

what im talking about is he said "nobody had even begun to think about rcs until the 70s, let alone knew how to manage it"

the convair kingfish was rejected in 1959 in favor of the lockheed project that would become the a-12 and eventually the sr-71. and CIA Project Rainbow had started pretty much as soon as u2 flights started in the mid-50s and they realized the soviet radars could track it, they attempted to reduce the u2 radar cross section and found they couldn't do it with that, thus leading to seeking other planes to be built that would be designed to lower radar cross section (and increase speed) starting around 1957.

no matter whether they knew why or how a given thing was reducing the rcs, they took every instance of reduced rcs from a change to heart and tried to replicate it in further revisions of the planes. when the 70s started there was already over 14 years of specifically knowing about and thinking about reducing radar cross section for spy planes in particular, and all military planes in general where possible

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

the sr-71 was never hard to detect and everyone on all sides knew it. the three main things people talk about as reducing the plane's rcs (the iron-bearing paint, the chines, and the canted tails) were implemented for heat management, mach-tuck prevention and high-alpha (landing) performance, and increased yaw control, respectively. none of those were intentionally implemented to try and reduce RCS because the plane is spewing a mile-long trail of disturbed heated air that, at 80,000 feet, shows up like a searchlight on a radar scope.

the main reason the sr-71 could escape radar locks is because the systems in use through the early 1970s weren't able to acquire, track, and engage a target moving as quickly as the sr-71 before it went out of range.

but please pull more stuff from whatever is the first google result that supports your beliefs

https://www.amazon.com/Archangel-Senior-Crown-Development-Blackbird/dp/1563479338

the entire project originates from the cia wanting to reduce radar cross section on the u2, they figured out it was hopeless, and decided to order airplane projects that could both greatly increase speed and altitude but also reduce radar cross section heavily, reducing that cross section would be an ongoing goal from the mid 50s because of this, eventually resulting in knowledge learned being applied to "true" stealth aircraft like the nighthawk

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

The F-117's stealth features were based on a theory of electromagnetic wave propagation published by a Russian mathematician in the 1970s. You imbecile. You loving moron

they were also based on practical things found while designing the various projects leading up to the blackbird. because again, the entire inception of such projects was to attempt to lower radar cross section and the projects flowing from that which include the nighthawk followed up on the work.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
im the bragging that a ticket to mars will only cost a mere half million dollars before lone skum dies

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

one day elon will finally invent his crowning achievement, a robotic wife that doesn't talk back at him when he needs her to show up and be a pretty object to validate his self image

Update: muskwife 3.0 keeps exploding during testing

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
idk man it sounds like something smartwatch/fitnesswatch/etc things are much better for cuz they can also detect when you were loving around with other stuff thats not specifically your phone

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shaggar posted:

this sounds like bullshit

you have to remember theres a lotta loving moronic olds who barely passed middle school at all, and even then it was more like halfassing elementary school would be today

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

qirex posted:

not sure if this is still true but I know when I was in college there was research showing that children of immigrants generally have vastly better command of english than children of people born in the us

most immigrants to the us are relatively well off/well educated because of how the rules work on getting into the country legally, or at least semi-legally. even if you're doing it straight up illegally you have to be fairly smart to get in and stay in

meanwhile some shithead trumpist has had his whole family on some field in ohio for 200 years because grandpa got run out of saxony for stealing pigs or whatever.

Shaggar posted:

datas from 1992. republish date is 2002.

its probably still mostly viable but worth redoing

oh yeah for 1992 there's even more of a factor in there. before like 1960 just straight up the majority of the population of college age had not finished high school successfully and if you go back a few decades from that a majority don't even enter high school.

and tons of people coming of age in those times were still

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

lancemantis posted:

My mom attended a 1 room schoolhouse until maybe high school or so

This would have been in the late 60s/early 70s

US development has been.....uneven

there's nothing particularly bad about a one room schoolhouse

President Beep posted:

my mom was born in 1950 and her family had an outhouse when she was a kid. they lived within city limits too.

when i was a kid, around 1983 or so, we lived on a dirt road. our telephone was on a party line.

my grandma's phone line was still a party line up until 2002 or so when FIOS got installed, but the other homes on the line had been given their own phone numbers long before, like by the late 70s. but since it was still in the system as a party line it saved a surprisingly big amount on the phone bill

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
the thing about party lines is they were very common in straight up suburban and even some urban areas, because upgrading telephone exchanges to get a whole separate line could take a lot longer, but you could be patched into party lines very shortly after move-in, as well as costing less money per month

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Stymie posted:

i think it bears stating that millennials are woefully undereducated compared to previous generations, and it's only getting worse

a portion of it can be chalked up to public school budgets being slashed by gen x childfrees/conservatives who don't understand why they should fund other people's kids, but it's mainly a pervasive attitude of incuriousness fueled by not needing to know things because of the internet

basically the death of expertise is directly leading to the death of education and it's truly scary to see

you are thinking of the generation after millenials, namaste

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Stymie posted:

nope, i'm definitely thinking of millennials, their kids are an entirely different kettle of fish

millennials are the product of the ravaging of public education and the rise of the internet eradicating both modern education and journalism which makes them the perfect implement for gen x to wreck the government and society

baby boomers handed gen x a economy rich with wealth and opportunity and they're busy hoarding it while shunting the blame onto boomers for the failures gen x engineered

to be fair, gen x is and remains the real problem, but millennials are still dangerously uneducated which doesn't bode will for the generations following

The next generation isn't the kids of millennials except the very oldest. They're millennials younger cousins or siblings. Their parents are mostly gen x

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Stymie posted:

oh cool thanks for this distinction without a difference, really clears things up

It's a pretty big difference

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

yeah going by my old-rear end parents the boomers had actual power from like, 70's to mid-late 80's, then gen-x had it from 90's thru the 00's, and now the 10's and 20's are millennials time to shine

and boy what a great job we're doing so far

Boomers were 8 to 25 years old in 1970. You don't even have them all past high school age until 1980, let alone having settled into ages where they vote en masse.

When this site, a creation of Gen Xers, was created over 18 years ago, there was still Gen X kids in high school, and plenty still in college - and there's yet to be a gen x president or anything like that. Gen x is basically just getting settled into things still.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

the panacea posted:

real talk: what would happen if FB is declared a utility?

nothing

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

i suspect there are other tech companies capable of providing webmail

altho looking at the competition, loosing google maps would be a major setback

mapquest was surprisingly good for a bit after 2010, and had some nice extra bits like routing you on least gas usage once you entered ur car's city and highway mpg and other little niceties like that.

but recently they took that poo poo away so w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Why is Gmail so good at catching spam but Youtube lets in videos that should clearly be classified as spam (or even allows that poo poo to be an advertised video?)

lol what are you even talking about

if youtube removed garbage bullshit only morons would want to watch they'd have about 99% of the site banned