Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuN9g502cYM

I used the search function (lol) to see if this thread existed and couldn't find it. I also went back to threads that hadn't been posted in since August or so last year using Ctrl+F on the game name so I'm super sorry if this thread exists already! lmk

Phoenix Point is an X-COM like game that has reached 160% of its funding goal on Fig in June of last year. This X-COM style remake has the unique distinction of being developed by Julian Gollop the creator of the original X-COM games. It's due out in Q4 2018 (this year, baby!) I'll post the information from the Fig campaign because it'll explain things much better than I can but here are the neatest things imo in :krad: bulletpoint form
  • Developed by Snapshot games the studio found and lead by Julian Gollop creator of the X-COM franchise
  • The aliens will be adaptable and mutate new forms to counter your tactics. When aliens lose consistently they will try random mutations and then begin to field whichever mutations gave you the most trouble! If this system works well it would be insanely loving sick

• Large boss creatures with multiple stages/forms
  • Huge amount of soldier customisation
  • Rather than just updating the original games the team has taken a tonne of pointers and ideas from the Firaxis XCOM games as well as some brand new and unique ideas.
  • The art direction rules

Here is the link to the Phoenix Point Fig campaign which contains a bunch of information about the mechanics of the game. I'd suggest starting with the FAQ if you're already a big X-COM fan (most likely if you're reading this OP) as it answers a lot of questions on the mechanics and how they differ or are similar to old and new X-COM/XCOM games. From their Fig campaign

Snapshot games posted:

Phoenix Point is the new strategy game from the creator of the original X-COM series. It features turn based tactics and world based strategy in a fight against a terrifying, alien menace.

2022 - An unusual virus discovered in melting permafrost excites the scientific community. It has a massive genome, and only 1% of its genes match anything in existing databases. “What the hell is going on with the other genes?” asks researcher Jean-Michel Moreau. “This opens a Pandora’s box. What kinds of discoveries are going to come from studying the contents?”. The seas transform in something totally alien. Then the mutagens began to invade the land via an airborne microbial mist.

2057 Present Day - The human population has been decimated. Survivors gather in isolated havens spread throughout the world. A few factions control most of the havens and resources, but they have radically contrasting ideologies and guard deep secrets.

The Phoenix Project - The Phoenix Project is a worldwide organisation designed to be activated when the world is in peril. You control one cell of the organisation, gathering some of the world’s best scientists, engineers and soldiers. After your cell is activated, you realise that you have no contact with any other cells. You need to find out what happened to them.

The FAQ I linked above is a pretty good way to get to grips with what the game is all about and it quickly answers a lot of the technical and mechanical questions. Over at the official website you can pre-order the game as well as read through a bunch of backstory articles written for the game. I think a good way to read through these is to go through the updates in the fig campaign oldest to newest reading the archives in the order they're linked, these updates also have links to interviews and articles tracking development progress!

:siren: Pre-Order Discount Code :siren:

Two Feet From Bread posted:

there is a 20% pre-order discount for the $50 ($40) pre-order package. It also works for the $75 ($60) Soldier name package rotation. Didn't try any other ones.

Discount code: LUX20

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I totally forgot about this game until recently and it is Extremely My poo poo. The setting makes me think of the long-forgotten Abomination: The Nemesis Project with a side of X-COM: Apocalypse. If we can mutate and transform our soldiers into Alex Mercer-style terrors, I'll be the happiest boy who ever lived.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I really hope they make it more accessible than some of the other old school XCOM revivals. I couldn’t get into Xenonauts or XCOM Long War even though I loved OG XCom. Xenonauts UI was too trying too hard to duplicate the UI from 20 years ago, and LW seemed to only be listening to the hardcore players when they tuned difficulty.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
I am very excited for this game and I want it to be good so bad. If the initial play testing looks good, I might even pre-order it and not just the base version either.

Edit: there is a 20% pre-order discount for the $50 ($40) pre-order package. It also works for the $75 ($60) Soldier name package rotation. Didn't try any other ones.

Discount code: LUX20

Two Feet From Bread fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 1, 2018

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Awesome thank you! I backed it for enough money to get a copy of the game but I hope people see that, I'll put it in the op! Speaking of the op I'm going to spend the next few days working on it to improve it and take more stuff from all their Fig updates and various interviews.

This article from RPS is a pretty comprehensive introduction to the setting and gameplay elements as well as how they plan to go about development

It's from 2016 and based on the reading I've been doing of their fig updates some parts of it are out of date but it's still a pretty solid resource.

Environment artist's portfolio for Phoenix Point

Concept/Monster artist's portfolio for Phoenix Point

There's also this neat blog post by one of the lead writers/game designers talking about his experiences with X-COM: Apocalypse and the stuff he wants to take from that and put into Phoneix Point. He was surprisingly negative about Firaxis XCOM though he said he liked it a bunch. Gollop seems much more enthused by the newer franchise.

From XCom to Phoenix Point

I'll keep updating the OP and posts with interesting stuff from around the web, gang! :patriot:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

this looks loving insane, like some Warhammer 40k / Lovecraftian nightmare world. Actually some of it reminds me of EYE Divine Cybermancy. Anything with XCOM-level gameplay and combat is extremely my poo poo. The bit in that RPS article about the cult of communion sounds ridiculous.

I do hope this goes beyond the squad numbers of previous X-COM games because I'd really love to take some kind of Ridley Scott group of 8 or 9 into a huge firefight against an 80 foot crab monster

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

DLC Inc posted:

this looks loving insane, like some Warhammer 40k / Lovecraftian nightmare world. Actually some of it reminds me of EYE Divine Cybermancy. Anything with XCOM-level gameplay and combat is extremely my poo poo. The bit in that RPS article about the cult of communion sounds ridiculous.

I do hope this goes beyond the squad numbers of previous X-COM games because I'd really love to take some kind of Ridley Scott group of 8 or 9 into a huge firefight against an 80 foot crab monster

EDIT: Really good interview with Gollop where he says squads can be up to 16 men

One of their stretch goals which they reached was to have vehicles, in the first vehicle concept art it mentions being able to carry up to eight soldiers so I think you're in luck! One of the types of monsters will be these behemoths hundreds of feet tall that you have to land a squad on then fight off waves of aliens as you prepare an enormous drill to mine the behemoth and plant a bomb in it :stare: The Lovecraftian elements are front and centre and the two archives I've read so far that are the most like that are The Tomb of the Phoenix and Far Out There. The first is about an expedition in the mid-50s I'm guessing finding a tiny unmapped island that has the ruins of an ancient advanced society there and meeting what wiped it out! The second is harder to explain but is basically about astral traveling to the alien homeworld!

Neat articles about featuring real life frozen viruses reanimating after being frozen thousands of years and about enormous virus genomes

BBC - Diseases Hidden in Ice

National Geographic - Pandoraviruses May Be the Fourth Domain of Life

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 1, 2018

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

EDIT: Really good interview with Gollop where he says squads can be up to 16 men

One of their stretch goals which they reached was to have vehicles, in the first vehicle concept art it mentions being able to carry up to eight soldiers so I think you're in luck! One of the types of monsters will be these behemoths hundreds of feet tall that you have to land a squad on then fight off waves of aliens as you prepare an enormous drill to mine the behemoth and plant a bomb in it :stare: The Lovecraftian elements are front and centre and the two archives I've read so far that are the most like that are The Tomb of the Phoenix and Far Out There. The first is about an expedition in the mid-50s I'm guessing finding a tiny unmapped island that has the ruins of an ancient advanced society there and meeting what wiped it out! The second is harder to explain but is basically about astral traveling to the alien homeworld!

Neat articles about featuring real life frozen viruses reanimating after being frozen thousands of years and about enormous virus genomes

BBC - Diseases Hidden in Ice

National Geographic - Pandoraviruses May Be the Fourth Domain of Life

holy gently caress this game is going to be great. vehicles in an xcom??? I'm sold.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The best Lovecraft is never seen so hopefully they don't put too much into the light. Regardless, this game looks amazing so far and, having played TftD, I'm glad that stretch goal remains far out of reach. :stare:

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
Pressed the button and preordered.

Now we need a poll to pick a default soldier name. I nominate: Soldier McSoldierface.

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

I think I just had an evilgasm...
Looks like Backer Build 1 is due at the end of April. Instructions will come via email.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Downloading! I won't have time to play until tomorrow, but I watched a stream a few days ago and it looked like a blast.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Shine posted:

Downloading! I won't have time to play until tomorrow, but I watched a stream a few days ago and it looked like a blast.

Same! Had forgotten to keep on top of the backer updates a while ago and was insanely pumped to get my email yesterday saying the first backer build would be released in <24hrs. Gonna download it before college and hopefully have time to try a little when I get home tonight. :getin:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

The aiming and shooting systems are hella cool. From the FAQ:

quote:

The ranged combat uses a realistic ballistics system with each bullet following its own trajectory and inflicting damage on anything it hits, including your own soldiers.

You can fine tune the aiming by scrolling up with the mouse wheel when in shooting mode. This will display two circles:
● Red circle​: All your shots will be randomly distributed in this circle (with a bell curve distribution where extremes of inaccuracy and accuracy are less likely).
● Orange circle​: Half your shots would be expected to fall within this circle.

These firing circles give you a visual representation of the accuracy of the attack, and the ability to evaluate blocking objects or friendly fire.

And you can target different body parts by simply dragging your aim over them.

quote:

In the free aiming mode, you can select different body parts of a target, or any item of equipment carried, and an information box will be displayed. This shows the following information:

● Body part name or equipment name: ​The specific body part, and whether it is already disabled or not, or the equipment name.
● Armour​: Each body part has a separate armour rating. Equipment items also have an armour rating. Flashing armour pips indicate the likelihood that the armour would be removed due to the armour shredding ability of the weapon.
● Hit Points​: Each body part has its own Hit Points (in addition to general Hit Points). If reduced to zero then this body part will be disabled. Equipment items also have Hit Points. If they are reduced to zero the equipment is destroyed and removed from the game. Flashing Hit Point pips indicate likely damage, and hatched flashing possible damage.
● Disable effects​: What will happen if the body part Hit Points are reduced to zero.

In my first encounter I disabled an enemy's ability to charge my heavy by having my sniper shoot its leg out. On its next turn, it was too gimped to get into melee range, but it did get close enough for my assault to flank it and shoot it in the squishy bits instead of the shield it carries in front. Unfortunately, the first bullet killed it, and the next five bullets went right into my heavy on the other side, because I forgot this game has friendly fire. :xcom:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I seemed to encounter a bug where my assault rifle guy stopped dead after the crab queen showed up and was unable to do anything - shoot, reload, move, anything. I know it's to be expected, what with the game being in such an early state, but I like to imagine he just saw the queen and his brain just peace'd the gently caress out of there.

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
I could only play for a short time, but my first playthrough ended quickly once I realised something:

Unlike in New XCOM, reloads aren't unlimited.

See, I'd been able to take down two or three Crabmen, and reloaded my guys since their clips were half empty. There wasn't a huge amount I could do to the rest of them before their ammo completely depleted and they were overwhelmed.

I LOVE the aiming system and I wish XCOM had included something like that.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I had a sniper fall through the ground (alive, but underground and unable to do anything) when Queenie broke the box he was standing on. At least they make it easy to submit bug reports from within the game.

Shooting off a crab man's pincer arm feels so mean. I'm digging the aiming system. No percentage-to-hit counters as far as I can tell (though I saw them on an earlier stream, so maybe I'm just missing how to show them). I like this aiming system. It's more interesting than straight dice roll numbers IMO.

Shine fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 3, 2018

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Shine posted:

I had a sniper fall through the ground (alive, but underground and unable to do anything) when Queenie broke the box he was standing on. At least they make it easy to submit bug reports from within the game.

Shooting off a crab man's pincer arm feels so mean. I'm digging the aiming system. No percentage-to-hit counters as far as I can tell (though I saw them on an earlier stream, so maybe I'm just missing how to show them). You like this aiming system. It's more interesting than straight dice roll numbers IMO.

It is there but it's a tiny white text in the lower middle of the screen, looks like it's tangled up in some other elements. Didn't spot it until right at the end of my play session. Got to play a bit before uni but never read the manual so I was just getting the general vibe. The FAQ you posted explained the aiming a lot so I'm looking forward to sitting down with it properly.

I had an alien body fall through the ground that's about it for bugs so far. Looks much better than I was expecting for it's pre-alpha stage

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

The aiming system sounds like the one in Jagged Alliance 2 (with the fan patch I guess, I haven't played it vanilla in too long to know if the aiming system was always like that), it's cool. Looking forward to playing this when it's available to the likes of me.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I remember years ago reading an interview with Julian Gollop talking about what he would do if he ever got to make a new X-Com and it seems like this is pretty much what he was describing. The aiming system especially which he described as being heavily inspired by Valkyria Chronicles. I'm glad he's finally getting to make it and am looking forward to it.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
I’m the only one who misses action points :saddowns:

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Mmmmm this looks entirely sick, thanks for bringing it to my attention! Getting some mild XCOM Apocalypse vibes from the setting (humanity pushed into isolated concentrations) and also from the supersized monsters. Its not VERY Apocalypsey but that was always my favourite and I've always wished it would get remade like the original was, so maybe I'm just looking for it. Anyways cool beans man want this game

navier-stoked
Aug 30, 2004

spider wisdom posted:

I’m the only one who misses action points :saddowns:

Nah, there's an action point mechanic, sorta. While the UI looks a lot like new X-Com, the blue indicates how far you can move and still fire this turn and yellow is maximum move distance without firing in Phoenix Point. The blue range will change for a character depending on which weapon they have selected.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

ReadingZucchini posted:

Nah, there's an action point mechanic, sorta. While the UI looks a lot like new X-Com, the blue indicates how far you can move and still fire this turn and yellow is maximum move distance without firing in Phoenix Point. The blue range will change for a character depending on which weapon they have selected.

I haven't played XCOM in a minute, but isn't that the same system? :confused: Like you can move and do an action (shoot/nade/heal) in a certain range, or you can double move, or double action, and those are your options. I understand the thinking behind that system and how it saves time, but budgeting actions from a pool of 100 ~time units~ was fun — or at the very least could make for some interesting actions if revisited.

I know I'm in the minority here, so don't mind me. :ohdear:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

spider wisdom posted:

I haven't played XCOM in a minute, but isn't that the same system? :confused: Like you can move and do an action (shoot/nade/heal) in a certain range, or you can double move, or double action, and those are your options. I understand the thinking behind that system and how it saves time, but budgeting actions from a pool of 100 ~time units~ was fun — or at the very least could make for some interesting actions if revisited.

I know I'm in the minority here, so don't mind me. :ohdear:

It's still an action point system, it just actually tells you how far you can move while still having enough points left to shoot, instead of you having to figure that out yourself.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Jabor posted:

It's still an action point system, it just actually tells you how far you can move while still having enough points left to shoot, instead of you having to figure that out yourself.

Ohhhhh that's dope. Smart to use computers for maths!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Yup, it's entirely based on action points. They just have a UI that communicates them without you having to see the numbers.

Let's say you want to move out of cover to get a better shot at something, and let's say your character has 16 action points, and their assault rifle requires 8 to fire.

(I'm making up numbers for the sake of example; as far as I can tell, AP are only represented graphically, instead of hard numbers, but I could be overlooking something)

The UI will show a "blue area" of movement, representing a usage of 8 points to move, meaning they can move that far and still have enough AP to take a shot with the equipped assault rifle. So far it sounds like XCOM. But let's say you don't move to the edge of that blue zone. Maybe you just move 4 units (halfway into the blue zone) and take your shot, using 8 AP. After your shot, you can still move because you still have AP left over; you started with 16, used 4 to move and 8 to shoot, so you still have 4 remaining. That means you can get back into cover before you end your turn, whereas in XCOM you'd be stuck sitting where you took the shot, unless you had access to some special ability to gain an addition action after taking a shot.

Also, different weapons require different numbers of action points. An assault rifle requires half your AP to fire, but a pistol only requires 1/4, so in that situation above you could move more units and still be able to fire and retreat, or move the same distance but have enough AP to shoot twice with a pistol instead of once with the rifle. Or move a short distance, shoot once, move another short distance, shoot again, and then get into new cover. If you have enough AP, then go for it. With the aiming mechanic, moving 1 or two spaces might give you the slightly better angle needed to shoot around the enemy's shield or cover.

It'll make sense when you play. Definitely differs from XCOM's system, despite borrowing similar UI elements.

Shine fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 3, 2018

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

It’s cool that even the ability bar is color coded so you instantly know what you can and can’t do if you move beyond the blue tiles.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Wait the aiming percentage I saw only came up when I was aiming on the Crab Queen rather than always being there. Also is there no way to exit the game?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Jabor posted:

Now I'm even more confused. How does this functionally differ from a 2 point system like XCOM?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pharnakes posted:

Now I'm even more confused. How does this functionally differ from a 2 point system like XCOM?

You can shoot multiple times if you don't move or you can move and fire with your main gun and then pistol also shooting and then moving is possible. It's much more flexible

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Pharnakes posted:

Read my example above. In XCOM, you can't move two spaces, shoot, then use "left over" movement to move again. In PP, you can. Your weapon choice also affects this.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Also in this game you can move a bit, shoot, then move back into cover - cause the action economy is not broken down into "actions", just into "action cost". Every action has a cost in action point, but not all actions cost the same - although firing a medium gun (like an AR) takes exactly half your available AP. Firing a large gun (like the machinegun the heavy carries) costs more than half your AP, though, so you'll only be able to move less if you want to fire it.

Nothing stops you from combining cheaper actions to do more than 2 different actions in a single turn, if you have enough AP (and I guess we'll have upgrades to get more APs, like old XCom, on experience soldiers)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah I'm expecting stuff like that as well as upgrades that reduce the costs of certain actions. Like a heavy lifting buff so that soldier can move further with heavy weapons.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
OK I see, that is indeed a much better system than new x com. Let's hope the level design is on par to really let you do interesting things with it.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Everything about this game looks amazing except for the choice of setting/atmosphere. I hope every building isn't just FLESH AND RUSTED METAL but the demo level kinda looks that way. Digging the monsters though.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
If you guys want to see some very early gameplay this is the first video/broadcast in English on the Phoenix Point Twitch list https://www.twitch.tv/videos/256549660

There are about 2h of this dude trying to beat the "randomly" seeded mission in the backer beta he succeeds at the end. The streamer is not too annoying and he's played a lot of X-COM, so it's nice seeing they ways this game is closer to the original one than the remakes: on his first try he runs into the breach with his whole squad, gets flanked on both sides and gets his soldiers killed in a few turns.; on a following run he inches forward a square at a time to avoid the same fate and gets jumped by the queen/reinforcements that spawn at the player spawning point.

I think he's fairly right when he calls the current Beta a "Backers Demo", saying that the main reason it's out is that it was a stretch goal. It very much feels like the demo of olds, crossed with early game levels of polish - it even has a "Pre-Alpha" watermark. The game seems to be incredibly interesting, though, and if/when some more content gets released for the Beta I'll definitely consider a preorder at the 50$ level to get access to it.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:53 on May 5, 2018

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So enemy melee attacks hurt. I got rushed by a crab and one soldier's arm was disabled, so I had to find her a pistol. Then another one hit my heavy and destroyed the rocket launcher. Which made it harder to stop the queen so when she hit the heavy he lost an arm and couldn't use his machine gun. Sharpshooter basically carried the day. Ended up with no fatalities.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Bad news: According to a bespectacled alien, the game's been delayed from Q4 2018 to "June 2019".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Bad news: According to a bespectacled alien, the game's been delayed from Q4 2018 to "June 2019".

On the bright side, the second backer build is out, with bug fixes and some gameplay tweaks.