Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

It’s cool that even the ability bar is color coded so you instantly know what you can and can’t do if you move beyond the blue tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

It's rumored the outer worlds is going to be epic exclusive too so what in the hell are they offering to devs?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

backer build 4 is out tomorrow. I wonder how much the epic backlash has to do with it coming out so soon.

https://phoenixpoint.info/blog/2019/3/26/backer-build-four

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

How do you guys feel about this game in Early Access, is it worth 60$ yet?

Not if you want a complete game experience. Like, the backer build is pretty much just some combat missions strung together with a super basic version of the world map. It doesn’t have any of the faction, research, or adaptation stuff in yet.

That said, the combat is already pretty fun so I can’t wait to see how everything turns out.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Has anyone got their Backer Build 4 yet? It's supposed to be sent out ages ago but I haven't gotten it yet.

I got a email containing a epic key a day before it went live so I think the builds are going to be epic exclusive too lol

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Some of the line of sight stuff is annoyingly inconsistent. Like, sometimes parking my dude behind a tree or oil barrel for cover will result in 100% of his view being obsructed without being able to shoot, even though the game told me he would with the red preview lines.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

It looks like there’s a time limit of a year in game before a hard loss condition. The framing of it is pretty interesting so I wonder how they’ll handle it in the final build.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I think the game is pretty good so far. It's about on par with how I remember vanilla XCOM. The problem is you have way better, more polished options (assuming you didn't get burned out of playing xcom 2) and with the game being on Epic's store you probably won't have modders rushing in to fill the gap.

[e] Did they change the music from the alpha? I remember the battle track being a banging electronic song.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 4, 2019

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

charity rereg posted:

I've been following this game for a bit because a Factorio streamer I like was super into it and... I guess I admit I didn't really know what XCOM games were after all this time somehow. But I actually love turn based tactical games and was thinking of getting this.

Sounds like maybe down the line this might be worth it, but maybe not as a first go-round, but what would be a good entry point into this series/genre for someone who hasn't played one?

Get xcom 2 if you haven’t played it. It’s cheaper and has years worth of extra polish, mods, and content.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Man they nerfed the hell out of grenades. I have no idea what to do with my heavy since the cannon is so inaccurate it's borderline useless and the grenade launcher doesn't do much against anything bigger than a crabman.

[e] When does the sniper get some options for vertical movement? The sniper rifle is great but my sniper can never get into a good position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Ersatz posted:

The game is fun, in a mediocre sort of way. It mainly just makes me wish that Firaxis were about to release XCOM 3.

It took 4 years for xcom 2 to release after the first so hopefully we hear something in 2020.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 9, 2019