Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

False posted:

Kovacs has no range or affect and Ortega has to be one of the worst actors to get on a major show in awhile.

I think you might have missed the point of both the book and the show. The flat affect is a pretty crucial part of the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Cheston posted:

Loved the series up to now, but episode 7 was a loving slog.

An hour and three minutes of backstory in a row, cutting straight from 'cyberpunk noire' to the loving Na'vi Resistance going on magical plothole adventures. Why? Why did they need this?

Space mystical kung fu training is the dumbest. Beyond just the flashbacks, the show is at its worst when people are jumping around doing silly ninja stuff.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Human Tornada posted:

One example is the interrogation scene. In the book he's put into different sleeves and actually physically tortured and killed and it's super effective and hosed up until he talks his way out of it. In the show, he's tortured in the virtual world and they try their best to dress it up with a leftover set from Saw but it's still just a guy laying on a table twitching. I also think him killing everybody as he's escaping is far less dramatic than him escaping and then walking back into the lion's den to massacre them.

That scene would be far less effective with different sleeves. Without a view to his internal state, it'd just look like torturing different people.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I'm surprised they don't have some kind of version control system, git for people basically.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

bring back old gbs posted:

Wasn't she catholic though? So no new body? Also she couldn't be re-sleeved the way kovacs just gets put into a new body because she's not an Envoy, so being put into a new body(even a combat enhanced one) is still disorienting isn't it?

She wasn't the sort of catholic who signed the future DNR - that's what she and her mother were arguing about.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Yeah, they're a separate instance. But GB's point is that there is no difference between the separate instances.

You can have subjective experience, nothing GB is saying invalidates that. In fact, accepting that all copies can have subjective experiences is kind of a prerequisite to what he's saying - otherwise it's abundantly clear which is the original and which is the copy.

That's the whole nothingburger of this argument. Zaphod is using 'you' to mean 'subjective experiencer' instead of 'entity with same mental structure'. For Zaphod, forking a person means creating two distinct 'you's, while for a lot of people, it's one 'you' that is two separate subjective experiencers. It's a 10-page argument that's secretly about pronoun semantics.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Proteus Jones posted:

Don’t get me wrong, I liked it overall, but the wholesale changes made kept it from being truly great to me. Specifically, making Envoys the exact OPPOSITE of what they are in the books. It strains belief that some kung-fu hippy rebels on NotHarlan’s World could have *that* kind of reputation across the protectorate 200 years later. Especially when the Protectorate seemed to have smashed their rebellion in fairly quick order.

Also, having Rei be his sister was unnecessary.

It may be I’d have a different take if I hadn’t read the books first.

The Envoys weren't just some hippies on not_harlansworld. They were apparently a major threat to the protectorate because of their matrix bullshit. This is one of those points where book knowledge keeps you from paying attention to the show's details.

The show is pretty explicit that the Envoys were everywhere, murdering protectorate officials left and right, and included some of their own former elite soldiers.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Feb 20, 2018

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

It is pretty telling that only people who venerate the books (like, they're decent scifi, but jeez) object so stringently to the show.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's just a storage device, and wetware interface. It doesn't replace anything in the brain proper.

It can't just be a storage device, unless brains are somehow grown in accord with the stored structure. Resleeving wouldn't work, otherwise.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hence "and wetware interface".

The stack has to have processing that completely replaces the brain (or at least all the non autonomous functions). Otherwise, resleeving wouldn't do anything but start recording another brain's experiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Zaphod42 posted:

Okay now you've made me start thinking about the genetics of reproduction with sleeves.

If you have kids, do you pass on your dna or your sleeve's dna? Its not like there's "stack dna" that's just your brain state, right? The whole point is that you're hopping into different bodies, which have different DNA...

So like if you had a child with your wife and then you switched sleeves and had another child with your wife, would they be half-siblings? :confused:

What about if somebody else buys your old sleeve and then has a child, is THAT child a half-sibling of your children?

It seems like the whole concept of a family would fall apart pretty quickly when you have sleeves.

You can't think too hard about stacks, even at as basic a level as how the stack interacts with the brain in the sleeve's skull, or the whole thing falls apart completely.

• Locked thread