Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve never heard of the books and really enjoyed his show quite a bit.

Lizzie didn’t quite make sense to me and I don’t understand what they were going for with her weird disaffected avenging angel thing, but her parents were great.

Poe was the best character and the only meaningful death in the show.

I thought Rei was a great villain and I appreciate how divorced from humanity she became. Tak isn’t the best main character ever but I think the small flourishes in the script did wonders for him.

The Quell stuff, exactly like the Star Wars rebellion, makes no goddam sense. Why is a tribe of dubstep hippies in the middle of the woods a threat to an intergalactic police state? What impact could such a small team have? The twin plot devices of “100-year limit” and “all Stack codes go through this arbitrary relay station” were so transparently dumb I kept waiting for someone to bring it up.

The Double-Sleeving ending was dumb and didn’t add anything that I could see.

Aside from those warts I loved it and think it’s plenty punk enough for me. Ortega is the hottest woman I have ever seen naked on TV, and it’s not particularly close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Dollhouse was when I fully ejected myself from the Joss Whedon bandwagon. I was in high school fo Buffy/Angel/Firefly and enjoyed them, but a few years more of life experience and Dollhouse was so transparently written and directed with one hand that I had to tap out.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Wow I never thought about but I’d def clone myself and genderswap the clone and then be like “yo” and after 9 straight days of drugs and loving I’m sure we’d be sick to death of each other and I’d just let her/me bounce.

If we stuck it out... oh man the future is so crazy

I wish we’d spent the last 900 posts talking about that

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Syzygy Stardust posted:

I still think it would be pretty gay to suck my own dick in a different body.

Probably, but who gives a poo poo?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah once you hit the wall of “arguing the definition of incredibly commonly used words” you’ve both stopped listening hundreds of posts ago

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean if you guys ever made new points it might have been a fun discussion but you guys pulled a pretty big TVIV and just reposted the same thing back and forth for like 50 pages I assure you it had the exact opposite effect that you hoped (we think you are dumb instead of smart)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That sounds like an awesome season of TV to be honest.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Do people not interpret the genre shifting as a meta-analytical deconstruction of sleeving? Gosh it seems pretty obvious to me!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Stacks would be much cooler if it only worked for humans I think, because then it gives aliens a reason to be afraid of us instead of just laughing at our absurd external genitalia

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I love all the people posting “the changes are all unnecessary and convoluted” when they form the emotional core of the show.

In the book, it sounds like Tok has like no reason to give a poo poo about any of this stuff. His sister going insane and becoming a space demon, Poe’s warmth in a see of cold
mechanical performances, Abuela, these are the only emotional threads in a show that is so invested in sex and violence that without them I wouldn’t have had any grasp of why any of this matters or to whom.

I get that you don’t like change, it’s scary, but you are JUST WRONG when you say it adds nothing, because without those changes the villain wouldn’t have mattered to anyone at home watching because your antagonist in a book is easier to hate because you’ve made an investment of time, energy, and imagination watching everything over Tokashi’s shoulder. TV needs to grip you because it goes at its own pace, not yours. The Abuela scene was probably the best soft sci-fi in the show, and Poe was a scene-stealer through and through because he was so charming and likeable and delightfully sexless in a show that seemed hardwired to make everyone an emotionless, sexy killing machine (even Lizzie!)

I might read the books, but you guys are all under the impression that people watch TV the same way they read books, which, uh, they don’t, and without the grounded emotional anchors of the changes, the show would have just been a violent fuckfest with probably no redeeming qualities.

Forest Rebel base and Quell were dumb though, I liked the episode but that entire plotline feels extremely janky and Quell’s
Line delivery comes off as “Autistic” instead of inspirational

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It took Tokashi like 4 and half minutes to put together what Rei did once she revealed herself, and I imagine that is probably the reason she didn’t just show up unceremoniously 250 years after he watched her die. If she’d just walked into the Raven instead of Dimi the twin what would have happened?

The stacks thing felt like a non-issue to me because having them stand out visually on screen is important for the variety of reasons other posters have said, TV is a visual medium and stacks are the central tenet of the show. Without their own visual language you’d have a bunch of characters holding up non-descript flash drives boring the poo poo out of viewers. Stacks are alien and cool, so they are easy to pay attention to.

I also thought Lizzie being black and her plot line ending worked way better because she was the only woman that didn’t look like his wife, which I generally think contributed to his wife’s anger. Like “he’s not even pretending to gently caress me any more”

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

dead comedy forums posted:

and there is Reileen, which could have made for a really interesting dynamic but felt totally botched for me, like for example:

you are an evil mastermind with a couple of centuries under your belt, yet even though you are keeping eye in your brother all the loving time and you supposedly are doing all this loving evil poo poo just for the sake of both, how the gently caress you let him get ultra-turbo-cyber-tortured IN YOUR OWN CLINIC?

The answer to this is the over-the-top ludicrous incompetence of Dimi the Twin. Like all of people’s complaints about Reileen and her story making no sense are because Dimi is absolutely no match for Tokashi mentally or physically and Tokashi was shaking off 250 years of rust and also tripping balls when Dimi jumped him.

I also posit that it would take Tokashi no longer than 15 minutes at any point in the series to be like “Hey wait why are you insanely rich? Where does your money come from? How do you know where I am? If I saw you die and you’re still here...” and arriving at the same conclusion, Reileen’s plotline isn’t nearly as entangled with Bancroft’s as that, her betrayal and opulence are pretty divorced from it and he’d still figure it out once he saw how rich she was.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Tiggum posted:

You heard people in the show call him "Tak", you saw everyone else in this thread writing "Takeshi", you even referred to him as "Tak" yourself in your first post, and yet now you consistently get it wrong. Are you doing it on purpose to be annoying?

Sorry dude I’ll get out of your way so you can have the same slap fight with Zaphod for another 1,000 years, that’s way less annoying

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
2kashi Kovatch blew ur staxxx

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

AlternateAccount posted:

I have only gotten into the second episode of this, but has anyone else noticed that James Purefoy is slowly becoming William Shatner?

Breathes a deep sigh of relief

THANK YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I interpreted that scene as “the little girl got shot and her original body died, the court ruled that it was a murder and gave her a sleeve, but they are poor so they gave her a menopausal woman instead of a little girl”

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Tricking someone into letting them kill you because they believe they won’t really die is like the most demonic thing I’ve ever read a human character do in a work of fiction, so Altered Carbon seems sweet in that regard.

I also wonder how trans people work in AC society. Is it preferable to reassign your birth sleeve’s gender or would you rather just hop over to a completely different body with the right parts? What if you’re in your mid 20s and the only male sleeve you can afford is a 30 year old with a different skin color than yours? Is it worth the change?

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 22, 2018

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think it would be neat if we only see his Asian body in flashbacks and his present day sleeve changed every season

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Books are for nerds and I liked the show because campy sex scenes don’t bug me and have their place in Noir.

However Quell doesn’t make sense from literally any narrative standpoint. I’m definitely going to watch another season but I agree with book nerds that Quell sucks and forest ninja playplace was dumb

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Poe and Abuela were absolute highlights for me, but I actually enjoyed pretty much everything and I’m super grateful they changed the “I’m digitally raping you as a woman” scene to be less horrible, but the only part of the show I really thought was dumb was Quell’s “Weakness of Weapons” speech. That whole scene was just loving insipid Ewok-Matrix voodoo bullshit and the fact they they kept cutting back to it in like nearly half the episodes didn’t make it any easier to stomach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You or other persons have said the sex is “kind of rape-y” multiple times and I’d really like some clarification as to what that means. Is he loving bodies without stacks? Is it a digital torture scene like the one from the first book? Is Kovacs the one doing the rape stuff?

• Locked thread