Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

There's a couple of PVMs at work that I could acquire without anyone noticing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Olympic Mathlete posted:

There's a couple of PVMs at work that I could acquire without anyone noticing...

They're worth a gazillion dollars to retro gamers these days, if they have RGB.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah a few of my friends are into their retro stuff and they've got the full blown AV rental caged monitors with external speakers. The image on them is incredible...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Olympic Mathlete posted:

One thing about the industry I do like though is that 3D died a death and no fucker cared about the stupid curved screens.

This. My dad bought a 3D TV and I hated wearing those stupid glasses. I'm glad both of those trends died because they added nothing for me.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I have trouble with binocular vision, and I've never really seen anything special from 3D movies besides weird shadows dancing around what I assume is supposed to be the 3D effect

What I'm really happy died is UHFR movies. They made special effects look so much worse

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Can't use the Super Scope on an LCD, though :smug:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

The Door Frame posted:

I kinda like CRT's, their soft pixels and scan lines made lovely, low res images look almost dreamlike

I'd never go back to using a CRT, because holy gently caress they were heavy and lovely, but I like the idea of them

I'm almost surprised there hasn't been some kinda hipster resurgence of CRTs where people gush about how they have a warmer picture or whatever.

I'm glad to never have to deal with one of those heavy pieces of poo poo again though. I'll never understand how someone can look at modern tvs and say CRTs were better.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This was a good day.

We all sat down and talked with my brother (i yelled a bit) and he opened up for the first time in a decade. While I am still mad he shared his pain and explained himself so I will be able to forgive him in the future.

In other news, I have a savings bond in my hands here and I'm not sure I'm reading the value correctly. If it says "Total Value" then that's what it's worth right?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

But what about the degauss button

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Rhyno posted:

This was a good day.

We all sat down and talked with my brother (i yelled a bit) and he opened up for the first time in a decade. While I am still mad he shared his pain and explained himself so I will be able to forgive him in the future.

In other news, I have a savings bond in my hands here and I'm not sure I'm reading the value correctly. If it says "Total Value" then that's what it's worth right?

Total value when its mature. It should have a date and most of them mature 20 years after.

Congratulations on the wedding.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

rdb posted:

Total value when its mature. It should have a date and most of them mature 20 years after.

Congratulations on the wedding.

It's been 22 years. I just used the internet checker and I wan't to make sure I wasn't doing this wrong.

Hey-o I've got $10,000.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

It's been 22 years. I just used the internet checker and I wan't to make sure I wasn't doing this wrong.

Hey-o I've got $10,000.

Congratulations, you thousandaire.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ExplodingSims posted:

I'm almost surprised there hasn't been some kinda hipster resurgence of CRTs where people gush about how they have a warmer picture or whatever.

I'm glad to never have to deal with one of those heavy pieces of poo poo again though. I'll never understand how someone can look at modern tvs and say CRTs were better.

The only advantage they held is when dealing with game systems that used the flaws of CRTs to their advantage. Of course, now we can fix that poo poo with software.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Seminal Flu posted:

Congratulations, you thousandaire.

God I wish that were me

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's a cashout penalty right? LoL I probably have $4000.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Rhyno posted:

Hey-o I've got $10,000.

That's quite a wedding gift. Double congregations!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Door Frame posted:

That's quite a wedding gift. Double congregations!

My grandmother left hem for each grandchild if we ever got married. It was quite a surprise!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Rhyno posted:

There's a cashout penalty right? LoL I probably have $4000.

Should only be a penalty if you cash out before it matures.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Rhyno posted:

Hey-o I've got $10,000.

You probably have more than 10k. They pay a little interest after maturity.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay I totally misread how it works, I have $5248. I was reading what it will top out at.

Still!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

ExplodingSims posted:

Nobody is saying CRTs are better than current TVs. ...unless when using them for retro consoles. You can buy a whole host of magic upscaling boxes for them for use on new TVs but they always introduce lag which is horrible and the fake scanlines look really bad.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
are we taking bets on what kind of dumb as poo poo car rhyno is gonna blow 5k on

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

are we taking bets on what kind of dumb as poo poo car rhyno is gonna blow 5k on

SO MANY RUSTY CIVICS.

Nah I'm unemployed bro. If anything this is breathing room to not take a desperation job. I'll only cash it in if I don't find a new gig by April 1st.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

My bet is on a turbo PT cruiser

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

angryrobots posted:

My bet is on a chinesium ebay turbo PT cruiser

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

angryrobots posted:

My bet is on a turbo PT cruiser

I just checked CL and there's none local so no win for you.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Rhyno posted:

SO MANY RUSTY CIVICS.

Nah I'm unemployed bro. If anything this is breathing room to not take a desperation job. I'll only cash it in if I don't find a new gig by April 1st.

People here make fun of Indiana but I just got two decent job offers today. I have been out of work since February 1st. Hope you have the same luck.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

rdb posted:

People here make fun of Indiana but I just got two decent job offers today. I have been out of work since February 1st. Hope you have the same luck.

The job market here in the Tampa area is loving crazy right now. Like, to the point where if you don't have a job it's almost that something is wrong with you, or Whatever you do is SUPER loving niche.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

rdb posted:

The market is really good right now. I have 4 solid prospects.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Stupid weather. left home at 3pm today to go to the airport. 9pm plane finally cancelled due to ice on the runway. Now I’m in a hotel waiting to try again tomorrow morning.
Annoyingly they are picking us up at 6:30 am for a flight at 8:50 so we miss breakfast at the hotel and I suspect that the chance of the flight leaving on time is minimal anyway since it’s still gonna be icey first thing.

While I was getting bored at the airport, back at home apparently 2 separate houses near mine at the top of a hill have caught fire and in the process of putting them out the fire brigade have created a mile long ice rink right down the road leading to a frozen lake on the junction at the bottom... which sounds like it could have been proper fun to play on tomorrow since the roads are now all closed :(

Rhyno posted:

SO MANY RUSTY CIVICS.

Wait, when did you quit being comic book guy?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Rhyno posted:

The market is really good right now. I have 4 solid prospects.

I think my county is down to 1.x percent. Its the opposite problem, employers are struggling to find people.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tomarse posted:

Wait, when did you quit being comic book guy?

5 weeks ago. Haven't you noticed how pleasant I've been?

rdb posted:

I think my county is down to 1.x percent. Its the opposite problem, employers are struggling to find people.

Yup, it's harder to get unemployment than it is to get a job. I have a friend at a temp agency and she texts me options daily.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

Stupid weather. left home at 3pm today to go to the airport. 9pm plane finally cancelled due to ice on the runway. Now I’m in a hotel waiting to try again tomorrow morning.
Annoyingly they are picking us up at 6:30 am for a flight at 8:50 so we miss breakfast at the hotel and I suspect that the chance of the flight leaving on time is minimal anyway since it’s still gonna be icey first thing.

While I was getting bored at the airport, back at home apparently 2 separate houses near mine at the top of a hill have caught fire and in the process of putting them out the fire brigade have created a mile long ice rink right down the road leading to a frozen lake on the junction at the bottom... which sounds like it could have been proper fun to play on tomorrow since the roads are now all closed :(

It's weird, Leicester has been basically fine, just a bit chilly, I'm not sure if its just not got here yet, or if we're further south than it's coming.

I like snow, but I bloody hate how abjectly useless at driving everyone immediately becomes when it hits the ground.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Rhyno posted:

5 weeks ago. Haven't you noticed how pleasant I've been?

I had just put it down to you being preoccupied with wedding stuff and not having the time for your usual amounts of rage! ;)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Tomarse posted:

I had just put it down to you being preoccupied with wedding stuff and not having the time for your usual amounts of rage! ;)

Same!

What finally got you out of the comic book biz?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rhyno posted:

Nah I'm unemployed bro.

Wait what was the drama that happened here and how did we not hear about it? Surely we did and I just missed it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tomarse posted:

I've never been happier in my life man. I was initially fired. They called me a few days later and asked me to come back. We took it slow and I worked a few days and realized I really hated the job. So I'm done and done. They paid out all my unused vacation and there's mostly no hard feelings. Life will be so much better from here on out.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

It's weird, Leicester has been basically fine, just a bit chilly, I'm not sure if its just not got here yet, or if we're further south than it's coming.

I like snow, but I bloody hate how abjectly useless at driving everyone immediately becomes when it hits the ground.

Manchester has just had a few cm over the day as had Stoke when I left. I’m trying to get to guernsey which is apparently hosed and covered in ice. I am told that they cant use salt there to de-ice as it gets into the limited water supply and clearly whatever they use instead is poo poo.
Fingers crossed I can get there tomorrow and then get trapped there for a few days! That would suit me nicely.
I like snow when I don’t have to be anywhere!

Rhyno posted:

I've never been happier in my life man. I was initially fired. They called me a few days later and asked me to come back. We took it slow and I worked a few days and realized I really hated the job. So I'm done and done. They paid out all my unused vacation and there's mostly no hard feelings. Life will be so much better from here on out.

If it makes you happy it sounds like it’s gotta be a good move! :)

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 28, 2018

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

Nah I'm unemployed bro.

:wtf: I thought you were like family at the comic book store? What happened? How did I miss the drama?

Edit: Nevermind, read the rest of the thread.

You should go sort things out in your life by living in Dave's camper for a couple weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Seminal Flu posted:

You should go sort things out in your life by living in Dave's camper for a couple weeks.

One smelly hell of a honeymoon. If your marriage can survive that it can survive anything.

• Locked thread