Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I have thousands of hours in fighting games and I still get excited when I win. Why would you even play games in that genre otherwise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I don't know if that's actually true, so much as that in Street Fighter you reach the plateau where execution is the only or most effective way to advance your game much quicker. Especially if you're going to talk about all anime games and all Tekkens in general.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I'm torn because on the one hand "deterministic X-Com with time rewinding" is pretty close to my dream game but on the other hand any X-Com-like game needs to be very deft at balancing the core gameplay loop with the big picture aspect of the game, and that was by far Heat Signature's greatest weakness.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Really Pants posted:

why would you hide it

he doesn't want to share

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Ashes of Ariandel is the worst DLC in the whole series though.

not when Ringed City exists it isn't

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Ringed City is wayyyyyy better though. Its not just a rehash of content from DS1 and has 3 really good bosses instead of two garbage ones. It also has Old Monk 2.0.

EDIT: Okay demon twins is kind of ruined by the second phase being poorly designed but they are still a decent boss.

Ringed City's level design is abysmal, and Midir is the worst boss in the game. Demon Twins are cool, they're like the one really good part of Ringed City. Gael's okay but he's also just another humanoid boss that you dodge and punish, which is fun and actually my favorite thing about DS3 in general, but there are like 3 or 4 bosses in the base game that do the same thing better. And you're stuck with it if you want to be up to class in PvP because they put all the +3 rings in it.

Ariandel has one of the coolest areas in the game in the Crow Village, added a bunch of good and interesting weapons, and Friede's third phase is the real final boss of Dark Souls and a fantastic fight if taken in a vacuum (even if the first two phases are dumb busy-work.)

also it doesn't have another loving poison swamp or respawning enemies

e: also both DLCs have issues with over-resilient enemies that can't be killed timely / efficiently, but in Ariandel this is mainly just the frost giant dudes whereas in Ringed City everything has temporary invulnerability or turns invisible or respawns or just has too much HP to bother fighting in the first place

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 3, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

the second phase is bad, i won't argue that

the third phase is fantastic, like easily one of the best fights in the entire game, if only it weren't at the end of an endurance match

if you fought Friede once in her first form (which would teach you her tells and some of the gimmicks that get supercharged in the third phase) and then later, as a separate bossfight, fought just her third form then AoA really would be a contender for best DLC in the series

as it is it's not great but it's still way better than the steaming turd that is Ringed City

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

who cares about aesthetics, slow bosses have never been interesting and Friede is The Fastest

also Lady Maria is in Bloodborne, which isn't on PC, so it's a good knockoff to have

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

The Souls series has plenty of bosses that are hard. I don't think From should constantly keep trying to one-up themselves when it comes to difficulty because the end result is fights like Friede and Gael which are just absurd.

Gael is a pushover though :confused:

like i'm not great at souls, it took me three days of swearing at my computer and farming up embers because i ran out to beat friede

gael took like three or four attempts over 20 minutes

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

In Training posted:

They shouldn't bring in the ds3 invasion mechanics because they made PvP rear end.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

no one shoots like gascoigne
love his girls like gascoigne
no one burns as incredibly well as gascoigne~

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Discussion prompt: what’s the worst game you kinda like?

Crusader Kings 2. It's "waiting for RNG events to trigger, the game" which is an absolutely garbage mechanic to build a game around, and yet, there's nothing like it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Chain Chomps.

:hfive:

I actually encountered Chain Chomps for the first time in a non-Mario game; in Link's Awakening you have to rescue someone's pet Chain Chomp that got kidnapped. Once you rescue it it eats enemies for you and follows you around on a leash until you do the quest turn-in.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

I don't really see Hbomberguy being particularly contrarian for the sake if it. Like most of his videos aren't exactly hard sells, with his most contentious stuff being mostly argued badly by alt right idiots. Like saying Sherlock, The Killing Joke movie and Fallout 3 are bad, DS2 and NMS are okay and Bloodborne and Braid are good aren't exactly hot takes.

He's not, the only people claiming that are the dorks who think CineD is some kind of grand trolling conspiracy and not just a bunch of people who judge movies by different standards than they do.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I've been playing War for the Overworld. It's all right, and it's basically as much of a Dungeon Keeper game as DK2 was, but I wish they'd stuck closer to the first game's formula, or maybe leaned even further in the "management game" direction rather than the "bizarro tower defense" one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

also steam was a piece of poo poo when it released and people rightly hated it, as opposed to now where through a combination of actual convenience and ubiquity it's not nearly as annoying to deal with as, say, Origin

some of that is just that having two Steams is already too much of a pain in the rear end, regardless of the quality of the second one, which isn't entirely fair to Origin but oh well

• Locked thread