Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

in the context of comics, who else could todd be referring to

Lol, paging Dark Tittymouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Escobarbarian posted:

I mean Venom is apparently still popular enough for them to make a drat movie so

Let's not pretend Sony knows what they're doing

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

Lol, paging Dark Tittymouse.
noooooooo what have i done???

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

site posted:

in the context of comics, who else could todd be referring to

I swear to god, the last time I remember being aware of existence of Todd McFarlane was when issue 200 of Spawn came out and was a medium sized deal, and my response was, "Spawn is still running? Seriously?
Why?" and then I moved on to other things. Which, according to the internet, was in 2011.

Todd McFarlane is not a person close enough to my thoughts that his first name immediately brings him to mind.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, he is now :)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought we were referring to Todd Stark, the Iron Man

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm just impressed they haven't found out a way to tie this into the loving volleyball manga somehow.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Roth posted:

I'm just impressed they haven't found out a way to tie this into the loving volleyball manga somehow.

I laughed out loud at this one, but the night is still young!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Todd coming back to Venom would be great. I have a chrome Amazing Spider-Man 300 I’ve been saving for a rainy day.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Todd Nauck?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I rarely think about Todd McFarlane anymore, but if Marvel announced tomorrow he was doing a Spider-Man project, I'd almost have to pick it up, just to see what happens. Even if it's a trainwreck (likely), it'll be memorable.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Todd Klein is the only other answer but the letterer never gets his due.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

A Strange Aeon posted:

Todd Klein is the only other answer but the letterer never gets his due.

Doesn’t he have like 18 eisners?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Roth posted:

Haruichi Furudate is not only a master at drawing bodies in motion through the air, he also draws realistically proportioned women in a respectful way, and keeps to a schedule. So clearly he would be a better choice to do the art on Spider-Man than Todd McFarlane.

I din't point that out during the discussion because I thought it was obvious and would seem needlessly antagonistic

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Madkal posted:

Anyway, Odyssey is too special for this world.

But what about world inside Earth’s hollow core?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

good day for a bris posted:

But what about world inside Earth’s hollow core?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKPwtDjzJMI

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Jordan7hm posted:

Doesn’t he have like 18 eisners?
Don't be ridiculous, he only has 17.
1993 Todd Klein
1994 Todd Klein
1995 Todd Klein
1996 Stan Sakai
1997 Todd Klein
1998 Todd Klein
1999 Todd Klein
2000 Todd Klein
2001 Todd Klein
2002 Todd Klein
2003 Todd Klein
2004 Todd Klein
2005 Todd Klein
2006 Todd Klein
2007 Todd Klein
2008 Todd Klein
2009 Chris Ware
2010 David Mazzucchelli
2011 Todd Klein
2012 Stan Sakai
2013 Chris Ware
2014 Darwyn Cooke
2015 Stan Sakai
2016 Derf Backderf
2017 Todd Klein

He's only got nine Harveys though, so I guess there's an argument that he's overlooked there.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Look at all those losers whose name isn't Todd Klein.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I didn't even notice the 96's Stan Sakai at first

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Guy Goodbody posted:

Haruichi Furudate is not only a master at drawing bodies in motion through the air, he also draws realistically proportioned women in a respectful way, and keeps to a schedule. So clearly he would be a better choice to do the art on Spider-Man than Todd McFarlane.

I din't point that out during the discussion because I thought it was obvious and would seem needlessly antagonistic

:catstare:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Samuringa posted:

I didn't even notice the 96's Stan Sakai at first

I love that he letters for Sergio.

I also like the Cooke win in 14.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I guess this is as good a place as any, but I've been promoted at work!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Roth posted:

Congrats! Time for more comics ;)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jordan7hm posted:

Congrats! Time for more comics ;)

Don't speak too fast. It meant the opposite for me last year. Less time for more anything.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

X-O posted:

Don't speak too fast. It meant the opposite for me last year. Less time for more anything.

Good point. What I of course meant was: time for buying more comics.

My current pull list includes like 12 series I’m not even remotely caught up on.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Congrats, Roth.

I like Todd Klein and all but how has John Workman never won a lettering Eisner?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Roth posted:

Congratulations!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Roth posted:

As head of Lego, do you have to move to Denmark?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Teenage Fansub posted:

As head of Lego, do you have to move to Denmark?

No, but I get to wear a blue shirt instead of a red shirt.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Roth posted:

No, but I get to wear a blue shirt instead of a red shirt.

well at least you wont die when you get sent down on a mission now

congrats!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

purple death ray posted:

Flatters are pretty common and I assume they don't often get credited because they are a reasonably new part of the process and this industry is extremely resistant to change the way they've always done things even as they are eaten alive by manga and webcomics

Is this post from 2006?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Neither of those are popular but western comics are the niche of the niche, even in 2018 I doubt people read them more than mangas.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

It is really weird to me how you exclusively refer to Todd McFarlane as just "Todd"

Referring to any famous person by their first name like you're best mates with them is off-putting.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They just announced that this summer there's going to be a new Zoids cartoon, alongside a new line of Zoids model kits, a new Zoids comic book, and a new Zoids video game.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
All this Todd talk reminded me of the puzzling dedication Gaiman had for 1602--"To Todd, for making it necessary." Which I think was referring to him writing this cheesy Marvel book to get money for litigation against MacFarlane for the rights to Angela or something.

But then Todd Klein thought the dedication was to him, and so his dedication was weird.

What's the full story on that?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Guy Goodbody posted:

They just announced that this summer there's going to be a new Zoids cartoon, alongside a new line of Zoids model kits, a new Zoids comic book, and a new Zoids video game.

The only reason I remember Zoids at all is because an acquaintance of mine started posting creepy fanart of the show on their social media feed well after it went off the air.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Samuringa posted:

Neither of those are popular but western comics are the niche of the niche, even in 2018 I doubt people read them more than mangas.
This is hard to quantify, since "read" and "buy" are different things and the impression I get is that American manga fans get most of it from pirated fanlations months before official translated releases. That one guy who keeps posting volleyball manga doesn't even bother to remove the pirate site's watermarks. Even Japan has been seeing a decline with 2017 sales down 12% from 2016. The only actual sales numbers I can find are from some random blog, so I don't know how accurate they are, but according to it, in 2016, the best selling manga sold 54000 copies, which is about half of what a top-selling monthly comic book sells (granted, the manga costs two or three times more). Additionally, CNN reported that US manga sales in 2012 were about $120 million, while Comichron estimated American comics sales at $805 million for the year (I can't find more recent numbers for manga). I will grant that manga sales in Japan are still a multibillion dollar industry, so if you were talking about worldwide readership then, sure, manga is still killing American comics, but I think we can also agree that manga consumption in Japan is totally different than comics consumption in the US.

So while I can't quantify *readership* of manga vs. American comics, they're certainly not *selling* anywhere near as well. (Webcomics are obviously a different thing, being free by nature, but I'd bet as a whole there's far more of the industry making little to no money than there are Penny Arcades making entire conventions.)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I own every volume of Haikyuu released in America. When I want to post a page from it, it's easier to just get a page off the scan sites, as opposed to actually scanning my own copy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
I'm just mad that my local Anime/Mange place is such a mess and I might end up ordering the Junji Ito collection I want off Amazon anyways. Or just from one of my regular funnybook shops.

• Locked thread