Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tower time
Jul 30, 2008

This thread is just to post history, readings, things you've learned, or just tweets and stuff pertaining to the subject. Thought I would start the thread with a reading on a great inventor that was a feature of every black history month lesson in K-12 in Iowa - George Washington Carver. He was connected to the state through his master's degree in botany at Iowa State University, and public school lectures focused primarily on his hundreds of uses for the peanut and educational accomplishments at the Tuskegee Institute. It was only later in life that I had a chance to read more about his personal goals of being able to lift poor black (and white) southern farmers out of poverty through a self-reliant system of agriculture. Just about everything he did was focused towards that vision - he taught poor farmers how to rotate crops in order to keep the soil healthy, and then invented a variety of products to be made from these crops to meet household needs so farmers would not need to buy manufactured goods from the store. Along with these were a variety of recipes, and teaching people how to cook foods that had otherwise been considered unpalatable such as dandelions. Much of this was done to give people the tools they needed to break free of growing cotton on small farms, which was labor intensive and often left small farmers indebted to stores and landowners much of the year.

Some further reading here https://commonreader.wustl.edu/c/carvers-food-movement/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

If people want to talk about a movie or something here thats fine too, thread's dyin. I put a hold on the two books from your list they have available at my area library Galactic.

• Locked thread