Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Glambags posted:

Last day of bhm and this thread didn't get past one page. Smdh.... I blame the brothers of Bernie

:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Gringostar posted:

William T. Sherman, John Brown, and Frederick Douglass would also look great on currency

As much as I hate to say it, and for all the unqualified good he did in burning the traitor states to the loving ground, Sherman didn't exactly have the highest opinion of black people.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Bilirubin posted:

Serious posting a sec...after Charlotteville some fellow I know from the pub posted on FB about how he didn't get white privilege, and didn't think it existed. I mean, the guy is basically a walking talking example (in management, a mason), but more it pissed me off that, even after living half my life in Canada nothing makes me feel more American than hearing some idiot Canadian make sweeping proclamations about US race relations. Lots of others at the pub were equally pissed off it turned out, and it lead to a really great night with a fellow American (an African American, who lived near Charlottesville) ranting for hours as the beers flowed.

So after the hangover I decided that I really needed a better perspective on what it means to be black in America. So, books. I am over half way through belle hook's Talking Back and it loving owns for perspective on the roles race, sex, and class play in society, especially academia. I

I have also got Ta-Naheshi Coates' latest collection of essays, and will follow that up with Frederick Douglass' autobiography. I would welcome further recommendations if anyone has some.

Which of Douglass's memoirs are you look at, Narrative, My Bondage and My Freedom, or Life and Times? For my money, the second is the best of the bunch as he goes into greater depth than he did in Narrative (which as its name suggests is just that), while Life and Times suffers a bit from being written late in life and thus tinged with being backward-facing and nostalgic at times.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

keep Grant on the 50, he earned it through a lifetime effort of drinking and killing racist southerners

Grant wasn't really that much of a drinker. His reputation as a drunk comes from a combination of him being a huge lightweight who got stupid off like two drinks, and vindictive Southern historians.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Bilirubin posted:

the second is the one that had been recommended to me yes

Don't get me wrong all three are worth reading, it's just My Bondage and My Freedom is the best of the bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

GalacticAcid posted:

who is on bitcoin

Mark, who did nothing wrong.

• Locked thread