Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-ci-recruits-law-understanding-20180202-story,amp.html

this is completely insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

As someone living in baltimore, this is par for the course bud.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Fedarilize all law enforcement.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Welcome to B-More.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr

orange juche posted:

As someone living in baltimore the USA, this is par for the course bud.

FTFY.

Usually the incompetent don't get a gun, but that's what you can expect when you pay poo poo wages and need people to do a poo poo job.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

AkrisD posted:

FTFY.

Usually the incompetent don't get a gun, but that's what you can expect when you pay poo poo wages and need people to do a poo poo job.

My hometown had one shoot a black man to death and get off so I expect great things.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

orange juche posted:

As someone living in baltimore, this is par for the course bud.

I left Baltimore a long time ago and I never loving looked back

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

It’s so nice of them to bring toys out to the kids though.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

LingcodKilla posted:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

New Hardcore History out,

Hardcore History 61(Blitz):Painfotainment

It's a blitz edition, so it's a one-off, but it's still 5 hours of probably some of the most :stonk: ever.

Dan Carlin posted:

Pain is at the root of most drama and entertainment. When does it get too real? This very disturbing and graphic show looks into some case studies and asks some deep questions. WARNING: Very intense subject matter.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 3, 2018

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

whoop i just finished up my second listen of celtic holocaust

gently caress yissss

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

LingcodKilla posted:

:lol:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Proud Christian Mom posted:

My sister in law believes the poses invite the devil in.

Also, BFC's Bad With Money legend Zaurg bought $3k of bitcoin on his credit card the day before yesterday. It crashed to 7500 yesterday.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It bounced back up to 9200 from the looks of it, but maybe that's some morning surge/price manipulation

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Dead cat bounce it's time to buy I'm riding this baby all the way to the top!

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

So I was on the treadmill just mindlessly watching whatever was on the TV (CBS Saturday Morning) and they had a bit about a thing called "Black Rifle Coffee". It is a "Veteran owned business that is pro-AMERICAN". I decide to listen because, idk, the idea of a bunch of Vets getting together to make coffee sounds cool. Military coffee is poo poo right? I can't blame these guys for wanting to make a good cup of Joe.

Well, the segment (complete with cheery commentary from the interviewer and keep in mind this is CBS not fox news) very quickly gets into :stare: territory.

First off, they came to national prominence after Starbucks said they would hire 10,000 refugees...BRC shot back that they would hire 10,000 veterans. Starbucks also dropped adds from some Fox show after they defended known pedophile Roy Moore...BRC gladly swooped in. They CLAIM they talk super seriously about PTSD and veteran homelessness, but then they get twitter shout-outs from Donald Trump Jr. I tried to look on their website for any organizations, or volunteering they do to support the causes they claim to support but I couldn't find anything other than a promise to create something called "A Coffee for a cause". Whatever that is.

Their commercials and advertisements look like something out of a South Park parody. I don't get it, is this what conservatives find funny?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URz2ut-V13o

Apparently they are incredibly popular among the MAGA crowd, but I think what pisses me off about them isn't their message, it's what they do to Veteran reputations on the left. I wanted to get GIPs opinion on this. There are hundreds, thousands of good veteran organizations and veteran own businesses that do good work, and raise money/ contribute to their communities and It's depressing to see yahoos like this take all the media attention for an organization that is. "vet owned and pro AMERICA" .

*EDIT*
I found the segment

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/behind-the-controversial-america-first-company-waging-war-on-coffee-culture/

*EDIT 2*
Oh the guy even did an AMA on reddit..it did not go well lol

https://np.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/7bufbc/im_former_special_forces_operator_cia_contractor/

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 3, 2018

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Providing jack shack material for that guy at the end of your block that looks like a severely diabetic Macho Man Savage and has 7' privacy fence around his yard, a subscription to Soldier of Fortune, and offroad lights on his rascal scooter is immensely profitable, that's the whole story.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 3, 2018

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Black Rifle Coffee is Matt Best's baby. Dude markets himself really well to conservative disgruntled veterans. He was involved in Ranger Up too if I recall correctly.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

It’s the MatBest gang, and they’ve all gotten super obnoxious over the last couple of years. Which is really unfortunate because their coffee is really good.

A lot better than the Alex Jones Patriot Blend WAKE UP AMERICA COFFEE.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Solaris 2.0 posted:

So I was on the treadmill just mindlessly watching whatever was on the TV (CBS Saturday Morning) and they had a bit about a thing called "Black Rifle Coffee". It is a "Veteran owned business that is pro-AMERICAN".

I know nothing about the guy, but I'm immediately reminded of that jackass that Tammy Duckworth tore into a few years back for using a bullshit injury in rotc to make a VA claim and get a 0% rating so he could access small business loans for veterans, even though he never served in the actual military.

When I think of outspoken "veteran owned businesses", I generally relate them to people who are full of poo poo. There are plenty of reputable vet owned businesses, and plenty of poo poo ones. Like people, the louder they proclaim their association, the worse they probably are.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

lol at a coffee company not Dunks or Starbucks hiring 10000 employees.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Folgers

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Fair enough.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Wait. Turns out I'm wrong. Folgers has 1200 employees total.

So the previous point stands.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Yet another reason Iraq was bad, spawning that particular kind of idiot.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
The CHUD I work with has a hard-on for BRCC and makes passive aggressive comments whenever I walk in with a Starbucks cup in the morning. While I’d say this intentional the fact of the matter is it’s two right hand turns before I get on the expressway so if a Bigby’s, Timmy’s, or even a McDonald’s was there instead I’d be drinking that instead.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Buying sugary milky rear end coffee at a store... lol

Loading Derail... Please Wait

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Point out to him that Starbucks hired 12000 of the 25000 vets they promised to hire in 2013, and that copy paste rant about refusing to give ARE TROOPS free coffee is bullshit

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah, Starbucks hiring refugees wasn't mutually exclusive with hiring veterans. Black Rifle is just the bad example of veteran owned. Like anything marketed as "Tactical" I just stay the gently caress away from it and the people that are into it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Dutch Bros, yo.

I don't care to associate coffee brands as an extension of myself. I usually just get it at the gas station when I want a cup, where it's a dollar and change and every 6th or 7th is free. Goes great with a few cigarettes.

People are going to be people and have to ruin everything.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
In my opinion nearly all the big “IMMA VETRIN” companies like BRCC and general social media pages like dysfunctional veteran to have a really disgusting attitude about them. Beyond the general obnoxious bragging about veteran status there’s a lot of toxic discussion hidden behind a veneer of “its just military style humor! Civilians don’t get our black comedy style!” and they attract a lot of the butter emails, birther, pizza gate conspiracy theorists. It’s unfortunate because I want to see veterans succeed and integrate into society at large while keeping in touch with other veterans but this isn’t working imo.

Seeing brcc get owned hard on reddit was great though. They had ads all over and then just got immediately destroyed in the ama and pulled out hard

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

poo poo gently caress. About 4am I heard cops in the neighborhood, lots of cops, about five cars. Guns drawn sweeping the area. Wondered what the gently caress was going on, went back to bed. My wife calls on her way to work, she gets a text from our neighbors... the guy across the street died. I have his kids at the house right now playing, they don't know yet. Good guy, retired USAF maintainer, maybe 40. He was milking Voc Rehab and the GI Bill to learn pottery and was making a pretty decent buck selling at the local Art Gallery. Nicest guy you'd even meet, always ready to help you. I have a bad, bad feeling he pulled a suicide. I know he was in some pretty bad physical pain.

Goddammit. I'm in shock right now. Today was supposed to be his little girls birthday party. He'd even made little heart shaped mugs for her tea party. gently caress. I don't know why I'm even posting this here. Just wanted to tell somebody and you guys aren't loving Facebook. Just gently caress.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Burning Beard posted:

poo poo gently caress. About 4am I heard cops in the neighborhood, lots of cops, about five cars. Guns drawn sweeping the area. Wondered what the gently caress was going on, went back to bed. My wife calls on her way to work, she gets a text from our neighbors... the guy across the street died. I have his kids at the house right now playing, they don't know yet. Good guy, retired USAF maintainer, maybe 40. He was milking Voc Rehab and the GI Bill to learn pottery and was making a pretty decent buck selling at the local Art Gallery. Nicest guy you'd even meet, always ready to help you. I have a bad, bad feeling he pulled a suicide. I know he was in some pretty bad physical pain.

Goddammit. I'm in shock right now. Today was supposed to be his little girls birthday party. He'd even made little heart shaped mugs for her tea party. gently caress. I don't know why I'm even posting this here. Just wanted to tell somebody and you guys aren't loving Facebook. Just gently caress.

Jesus :smith:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

^ gently caress :smith:

I don't get mail ordering freshly roasted whole beans to begin with anyway, unless you live in buttfuck nowhere that doesn't have good local coffee roasters.

Coffee sperg time: I've got a Nespresso machine (this poo poo owns for making lattes/flat whites in like 2 minutes) when I need coffee quickly and otherwise just do pour over from one of my cities' half dozen roasters or Dark Matter (their barrel aged beans are incredible) stuff from Chicago.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

it never gets easier you just react less

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Burning Beard posted:

God loving drat it.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

RE Veteran Owned Businesses chat, There's a BBQ chain in the DC/MD area called Mission BBQ. It's not too bad as far as chain BBQ goes but it's also got crazy over the top with "ARE TROOPS" stuff on the walls and what not.They apparently play the National Anthem every day at noon and everyone stops what they are doing for it. Sounds dumb as gently caress but fortunately I've never been there when it's happened.

I can't blame them too much as they've certainly found their target market but they still somehow manage to avoid touching any political poo poo so far as I can tell.

I think my biggest issue with the in your face type veteran owned businesses is that it just exacerbates the whole "us vs them" mentality against civilians, which is dumb as gently caress.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Black Rifle Coffee is Matt Best's baby. Dude markets himself really well to conservative disgruntled veterans. He was involved in Ranger Up too if I recall correctly.

You know who else marketed himself really well to disgruntled conservative veterans? :godwin:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

DoktorLoken posted:

I don't get mail ordering freshly roasted whole beans to begin with anyway, unless you live in buttfuck nowhere that doesn't have good local coffee roasters.

Turns out this describes the majority of the country!

• Locked thread