Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

You Am I posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-05/police-officers-to-be-placed-in-high-risk-vic-schools-opposition/9395874

OH

MY

loving

GOD

Now Matthew Guy wants to put police on school grounds of the 10 highest risk secondary schools in Victoria.

WHAT

THE

gently caress

Fascism *fingerguns*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Adopt-a-Cop has been around in QLD for ages, and it's often a good thing (not always obviously). I was at several schools where hey did a really good job educating kids on things like drugs and road safety.

Melbourne though, I'm guessing it's just gonna be racial profiling.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Zenithe posted:

*ding ding*

You can see the cops being in schools in Broadmedows with News Corpse headlines saying it's a great idea, but if cops were put onto the private school grounds for similar reasons, imagine the uproar.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I thought Broady had undergone gentrification enough to drive dangerous young immigrant families from the area.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Change from within

https://twitter.com/nenehdarwin/status/959588852229787648

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Maybe the people who decide to become politicians... are not good people? :thunk:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

quote:

The Cabinet Files: How classified documents were found at a Canberra second-hand shop

For a key moment in one of the biggest national security breaches in the nation's history, it was an unlikely setting.

At a house outside Canberra, the flies were buzzing, the dogs were hanging around and a serious amount of steak and sausages was sizzling away on the stove.

Waiting for their mountains of meat to cook, two men sat at a table drinking beer and chin-wagging about the affairs of the nation.

One was journalist Michael McKinnon, the ABC's Freedom of Information editor. The other was a bushie who had lived in and travelled to different parts of the country.

Hundreds of top-secret and highly classified cabinet documents have been obtained by the ABC. Now they're yours to explore.

The two men had struck up an instant rapport — so much so that when the meat was put on the table McKinnon asked: "Don't you have any vegetables!"

"No vegies at the moment," the man replied. "The wife's away right now and she's the one who buys vegies. I can cook you some onions if you like?"

That night would prove a decisive moment in one of the most extraordinary episodes in Australia's national security history, with the release of hundreds of highly-classified documents.

This week, the ABC agreed to return to the Government the hundreds of documents which had ended up in the bushie's shed.

The return of the documents came after an agreement which protected the bushie.

The story begins at a second-hand auction house in Canberra in the middle of last year.

The man cooking the steak and sausages had gone to Canberra to buy some filing cabinets — he knew that you could always get good furniture at the shops around the capital which sold used government supplies.

"Those two over there you can have for $10 each," he told the man.

"We haven't got keys for them — but you might have trouble getting them into the ute because they're pretty heavy."

Pretty heavy, indeed — heavy with national security secrets.

The filing cabinets had been in the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet and contained documents from the bureaucracy which detailed cabinet deliberations for every prime minister between John Howard and Tony Abbott.

Back home, the man put them in his shed. And so, the filing cabinets sat week after week, month after month — some of the most sensitive material relating to security — sitting in a musty shed outside Canberra.

Meeting Michael McKinnon

Finally, the man decided he'd organise his new cabinets — he drilled holes in the locks of the two that had no keys.

He was stunned by what he found. He sat in his shed reading first-hand accounts of the Howard, Rudd, Gillard and Abbott governments.

"He's a completely apolitical man," McKinnon said.

"He thinks that all politicians need to lift their game, but as he read some of the documents showing that some politicians had been saying one thing and doing another he decided the public had a right to know all of this stuff."

But what was the next step? He wanted some of the material in the public domain, so began researching journalists.

He discovered that someone called Michael McKinnon had been to courts and tribunals more than 100 times fighting for the release of documents.

McKinnon had been as far as the High Court fighting for documents. He'd been appointed the nation's first FOI editor — by The Australian — and was clearly committed to documents being published rather than suppressed.

McKinnon would turn out to be a perfect choice — before university he'd worked in the bush, where he would round up cattle on horseback for a year.

He knew how to talk to someone from the bush, but he also knew his way around the capital — if the public service had such a thing as royalty, McKinnon's family would be in it.

'This one was a cracker'

McKinnon was born and raised in Canberra — his father, W.A. (Bill) McKinnon was secretary of the Department of Immigration in the 1980s.

He was also head of the Industries Assistance Commission and High Commissioner to New Zealand. His grandfather was Alan McKinnon, the Commonwealth statistician in the 1930s.

His brother is Allan McKinnon, a deputy secretary of the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet who is currently in charge of national security for the Federal Government.

His other brother, John, is deputy director of the Australian War Graves commission and his sister, Margaret, is a senior executive in the Department of Human Services.

"I'd be embarrassed if I had to find a story by talking to my family," McKinnon said. "They'd be embarrassed, I'd be embarrassed."

The man rang McKinnon, and they had their first phone call. McKinnon listened to an extraordinary tale, and at the end of that phone call said to the man: "Having dealt with thousands of documents, my first advice to you is seek your own legal counsel. You need to understand exactly what this might mean for you if we go ahead with this."

Several weeks later, the man called McKinnon again.

"I've got my legal advice and gone through some of the documents again — I want you to come to see me," he said.

McKinnon then telephoned his boss, Craig McMurtrie, the ABC's deputy director of news.

"From that first conversation we were extremely conscious of the national security implications and continued to be mindful of that through the editorial process," McMurtrie said.

"But our job as journalists is to report good stories and serve the public, and this one was a cracker."

'This is the real deal'

McMurtrie sent McKinnon to Canberra. McKinnon would stay for the night at the man's house. They sat up late drinking beer — the night of the steak and sausages.

"I remember sitting there with the fire going at night and looking at these documents and thinking this is the real deal," McKinnon said.

"I was stunned," he said, when asked his reaction when he saw the documents.

"As a 19-year-old I had worked in the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet in the registry — the dead dull administrative unit that handles all the top secret files.

"I never read any of them because it wasn't my job, but when I saw all these I realised this was an extraordinary cache of documents.

"I've seen thousands of government documents in my time, but here I am, sitting in the bush with the flies buzzing in a house he's built himself with a quintessential Aussie bush bloke and I'm thinking to myself this is real.

"Reading those documents that night, it was clear to me there was a public interest in the public knowing this material."

McKinnon called his colleague Ashlynne McGhee in the ABC's Canberra bureau.

"I'd worked with Ash before and she's a very, very good journo. I knew she'd work hard and that we could trust each other implicitly," McKinnon said.

Like the man in the shed, McGhee would have a rare glimpse into the nation's deepest secrets.

"This week Ash worked across platforms every day — I could not do that. I was in awe of what she did," McKinnon said.

The three options

McGhee still remembers the first phone call from McKinnon about this group of documents.

"Michael told me that a guy went to an ex-government auction and picked up filing cabinets and inside there were Cabinet files," she said.

"I asked Michael to repeat what he was saying — he said it again and it all started to kick in. Everything started to kick in then but it was months before we got the documents.

"As the months went by and I heard nothing I thought that's a great story we're never going to be able tell. It wasn't until late last year when Michael called me and said, 'Good to go! We've got 'em!'

"I turned to Bradders (Gillian Bradford, the ABC's Canberra bureau chief) and said, 'I've got to get out of here'. I went and picked up the documents in a big heavy dusty box.

"When I opened it, the papers were out of order and stuff [was] everywhere and I realised the enormity of what this actually was.

"My reaction was the same as everyone else when we broke the story of the two filing cabinets on Wednesday, except I had a few months to get used to it."

McGhee photocopied the documents, sending one set to McKinnon in Brisbane. They then indexed them, and would go through every single one of the documents.

Once they had authenticated the documents and ordered them, the ABC had three options: the first was to "do a WikiLeaks". The second option was to hand all the material to the police, and the third was to do journalism — go through the documents and examine whether there were stories of public interest.

Everyone involved in the process at the ABC agreed that any documents which could endanger public safety or national security if published would not be published.

Instead, we focused on stories which, while embarrassing to certain political figures such as Kevin Rudd, Penny Wong, Scott Morrison and Tony Abbott, were clearly not of any security threat.

'We decided to do the journalism option'

The "WikiLeaks option" would have been to put all of the documents online — the publish-and-be-damned model. This option was opposed from the start by the Canberra bureau and, later, ABC executives involved in the decision — the Director of News, Gaven Morris, Craig McMurtrie and myself.

"We decided to do the journalism option," Morris said.

"To me the first two options weren't journalism — we decided that we would do stories from the documents which were in the public interest and which did not damage national security in any way."

Like Morris, I too was opposed to the WikiLeaks option — I'd been appalled when WikiLeaks in 2016 did one of their "dumps" of thousands of documents which revealed information which in my view had no public interest.

As Associated Press reported at the time under the headline, 'Private lives are collateral damage in WikiLeaks' document dumps', WikiLeaks had published medical files belonging to scores of ordinary citizens while many hundreds more had had sensitive family, financial or identity records posted to the web.

AP reported: "In two particularly egregious cases, WikiLeaks named teenage rape victims. In a third case, the site published the name of a Saudi citizen arrested for being gay, an extraordinary move given that homosexuality is punishable by death in the ultraconservative Muslim kingdom."

Once the decision had been taken to publish only documents of public interest rather than those that included sensitive operational matters, the roll-out was planned.

Journalists contacted key people named in the documents, so they could respond to suggestions made in the documents or put them into perspective.

And so, last Monday, the first of the Cabinet Files was published.

By Wednesday, the ABC had published all the documents that it deemed of public interest.

"We could have told hundreds of stories over weeks or months," Morris said.

"Instead, we chose to be selective and responsible in what we broadcast."

Meanwhile, ASIO and other government agencies became alarmed that the documents which the ABC was not prepared to publish may fall into the wrong hands — they sent safes with combinations to the ABC's office as negotiations began to get the documents back.

After a day of negotiation — the ABC's main concern was the protection of the source — the documents were returned to the Commonwealth Government.

Ironically, the Cabinet Files publication has come as Federal Parliament is set to debate a new espionage law.

Malcolm Turnbull's new foreign interference laws have only just been introduced, but lawyers, universities and media companies already have concerns.

While the law purports to be targeting foreign agents operating in Australia, it will potentially criminalise some forms of investigative journalism as early as the research phase.

It would be a potential offence to "deal with" confidential information. Should a federal police officer or public servant want to speak to a journalist about possible corrupt behaviour, the very act of them speaking to a journalist could make them, and the journalist, liable for up to 20 years' jail.

Every media organisation I have worked for — The Australian, The Sydney Morning Herald, the Nine Network, The Bulletin and now the ABC — have treated confidential material carefully.

There are already strict laws of defamation, contempt and confidentiality which media organisations work within.

While the media has no shortage of critics — often justifiably — one aspect where the media in Australia does have a good record is in the handling of confidential documents.

The ABC displayed that this week — it published stories which helped the public better understand its political process and then returned the documents to ensure that any operational matters regarding Australia's national security system would not be revealed.

The Australian public is now better informed than it was this time last week.

As the bushie had said that night last year over steak and sausages: "I think people have a right to know what's going on in their country."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/about/backstory/news-coverage/2018-02-03/the-cabinet-files-and-how-they-were-found/9393008

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Police at every school.

Cameras in every classroom

Air conditioning and glass domes to protect our children from pollution

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

quote:

The embedded officers would be at high schools and would be operational, but it would be up to police command to decided if they were armed.
I have faith in the police to select the most reasonable automatic weapons to manage children

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

The three R's are reading, writing, and respecting authority

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Zenithe posted:

Adopt-a-Cop has been around in QLD for ages, and it's often a good thing (not always obviously). I was at several schools where hey did a really good job educating kids on things like drugs and road safety.

As I understand it our local police used it as an assignment to get rid of the the guy no one liked. He was mostly okay though, gave a few generic lectures about drugs and speeding bad. Largely he seemed to patrol around feeling self important and shouting "Oi, I've got my eyes on you!" at passing aboriginal students.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

bandaid.friend posted:

The three R's are reading, writing, and reaching for the sky, scumbag!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The thing that stands out to me about the Hartcher+Chinese thing isn't the corruption, I expect that. It's their confidence in telling an outsider that the party has offshore accounts.

You Am I posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-05/police-officers-to-be-placed-in-high-risk-vic-schools-opposition/9395874

OH

MY

loving

GOD

Now Matthew Guy wants to put police on school grounds of the 10 highest risk secondary schools in Victoria.

WHAT

THE

gently caress

He is human and he needs to be loved. Just like anybody else does.

Speaking of useless people, when did protecting the interests of bureacracy and government become the "journalism option"? How is the public better informed by merely embarrassing information about governments that are not this one? If it's routine for political parties to hide their books from public scrutiny and cheerfully tell prospective donors about it, what happened to the journalists?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

bandaid.friend posted:

The three R's are reading, writing, and racial profiling

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Lid posted:

I'm near 13 years on a website that's slogan is the internet makes you stupid.

impressive given you’re like, 12.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

australian journalism is entirely an exercise in becoming friends with politicians so the journalism option of dropping some vaguely embarrassing stories then giving up is aptly named

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

ewe2 posted:

The thing that stands out to me about the Hartcher+Chinese thing isn't the corruption, I expect that. It's their confidence in telling an outsider that the party has offshore accounts.

He is human and he needs to be loved. Just like anybody else does.

Speaking of useless people, when did protecting the interests of bureacracy and government become the "journalism option"? How is the public better informed by merely embarrassing information about governments that are not this one? If it's routine for political parties to hide their books from public scrutiny and cheerfully tell prospective donors about it, what happened to the journalists?

how up to date do you think the documents in a cabinet unimporant enough to be auctioned off without checking the contents would be?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

guys where did we put the minutes for yesterday's cabinet meeting?

oh yeah it's in that cabinet that's going on the auction block tomorrow because no one uses it

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

bandaid.friend posted:

The three R's are reading, writing, and rifles.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

'Robert Doyle's been denied justice!'. -his latest backer, jeff kennett GOD DIE IN A HOLE ALREADY.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-05/liberal-senator-jim-molan-shares-anti-muslim-videos/9397246

quote:

A newly-elected Liberal senator has used a social media profile to share anti-Muslim clips posted by far-right UK group Britain First.
In March last year retired senior Army officer Jim Molan, who was sworn in as a senator this morning, shared posts from the group on his personal Facebook page.
The page is not private.
A spokesman for the new senator said the posts did not reflect Senator Molan's personal opinion.
"The senator often posts material in order to generate debate," he said.
"The sharing of any post does not indicate endorsement."

Senator Molan has also shared posts made by far-right figure Milo Yiannopolous and controversial cartoonist Larry Pickering.
Those posts were not anti-Muslim in nature.
One of the Britain First videos purports to show Muslim men attacking a police car in France, while the other purports to show Muslim men harassing and assaulting young women in France and the Netherlands.
The second video has been discredited by online fact-checkers.
Senator Molan has not posted commentary with the more controversial posts, and does not regularly respond to comments made on the posts.
But he did respond to a comment on one Britain First post, which read: "Charming. And we're meant to be tolerant, accepting and welcoming of this 'breed' in our country."
Senator Molan replied "Unbelievable".

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Hard to believe that someone who was in both the army and the liberal party of Australia is a subhuman piece of trash

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Have a person who usually votes Green but said he's considering voting Liberal because he keeps noticing apparent Ice Addicts near his apartment.

I asked him to show me one yesterday and we went for a walk and he indicated some dude sitting down wearing a hoodie and listening to music was an Ice user but he looked like a normal person to me.

He swears to be visually noticing an increase in ice addicts since Labor won the state election.

VISUALLY

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

The Before Times posted:

Fascism *fingerguns*

quote:

Builders risk ban over Eureka flag

Companies risk being banned from federal building work if employees display the Eureka flag or union slogans on employer-supplied clothing and equipment, including mobiles and hard hats, under Turnbull government restrictions on workers showing support for the CFMEU.

In a new directive, the Australian Building and Construction Commission has warned that employers will be in breach of the national construction code, and face being ineligible to tender for commonwealth building work, if they do not abide by “more stringent” limits on the display of union logos and mottos.

Unlike the previous code which said the display of union mottos or logos had to be significant for a breach to occur, the new code says the presence of a single union logo suggesting an employee must be a union member to work on site would be a breach.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

Have a person who usually votes Green but said he's considering voting Liberal because he keeps noticing apparent Ice Addicts near his apartment.

I asked him to show me one yesterday and we went for a walk and he indicated some dude sitting down wearing a hoodie and listening to music was an Ice user but he looked like a normal person to me.

He swears to be visually noticing an increase in ice addicts since Labor won the state election.

VISUALLY

Your mate is actually on meth and is hallucinating, and projecting really loving hard.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Could the LNPs war on drugs be causing people to assume drug addiction on everyday urbanites?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Zenithe posted:

Builders risk ban over Eureka flag

Replace all the stickers with other stickers that directly attack the ABCC and the LNP imo.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Anidav posted:

Could the LNPs war on drugs be causing people to assume drug addiction on everyday urbanites?

I think that would require the LNP to be actually doing something about the apparent drug problem.

Zenithe posted:

Union poo poo

Holy snapping duckshit this is some cynical, blatant suppression of union rights and don't they realise that the harder they push, the harder the ACTU is going to push back?

I mean these idiots clearly fail to understand that fascism radicalises ordinary people, as seen in their handling of islamic extremism AGAINST expert advice, so I guess no?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Birdstrike posted:

impressive given you’re like, 12.

Fairly sure im older than you kid

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Birdstrike isn't a person. You wear it like The Mask

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Anidav posted:

Birdstrike isn't a person. You wear it like The Mask

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/Gergyl/status/960439014787497984

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Don Dongington posted:

I think that would require the LNP to be actually doing something about the apparent drug problem.

Holy snapping duckshit this is some cynical, blatant suppression of union rights and don't they realise that the harder they push, the harder the ACTU is going to push back?

Lmao

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
The only language these people understand is revolution. I've done my part. I've mailed a dozen turds last week. Now you must do yours.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Zenithe posted:

Plus I doubt it'll be given a cutesy name like 'Adopt-a-Cop and will end up being Operation Darkie Stomper or something

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

VISUALLY
Your dumb mate Oliver was never going to vote Greens, hope this helps.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zenithe posted:

We have a similar outreach program in Vic already, that's different. From the Adopt-A-Cop page, though:

quote:

This program is not to be confused with the School Based Policing Program which involves the full-time appointment of police within 50 Queensland secondary schools.

I'm guessing that program's more like what the Libs want in Melbourne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

• Locked thread