Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Kanine posted:

pro-guns as praxis for revolution against white supremacy/capitalism yeah.

Yeah, it should just be kept in mind that "by any means necessary" famously said by Malcolm X is not the same as "by any means sufficient" and he knew that when he said it. But ya know, I definitely get where you're coming from. People who knowingly use power for oppression shouldn't be expected to give that power up or stop their oppressive actions just because you ask them to. These are the situations where peace-oriented idealism breaks down as you're confronted with reality and you either accept that aggressors exist and adapt to that or learn to be ignorant. I would still say that I don't think the term "pro-gun" carries the depth of meaning that your viewpoint deserves, but it probably draws more support from people who would otherwise just say it's not their fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

signalnoise posted:

Yeah, it should just be kept in mind that "by any means necessary" famously said by Malcolm X is not the same as "by any means sufficient" and he knew that when he said it. But ya know, I definitely get where you're coming from. People who knowingly use power for oppression shouldn't be expected to give that power up or stop their oppressive actions just because you ask them to. These are the situations where peace-oriented idealism breaks down as you're confronted with reality and you either accept that aggressors exist and adapt to that or learn to be ignorant. I would still say that I don't think the term "pro-gun" carries the depth of meaning that your viewpoint deserves, but it probably draws more support from people who would otherwise just say it's not their fight.

:yeah:

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Kanine posted:

good loving luck lmao

Better chance of success than embracing a pointless genocidal war of attrition. Arming minorities alone does not counter institutionalized white privilege, and has greater precedent of success in blunting the instruments of institutional oppression and death than expecting entrenched privilege to simply embrace the equality and free exercise of equal rights of underprivileged groups when it holds monopoly on state enabled violence that is virtually free of judicial and legislative accountability. Minorities with firearms are still extrajudicially executed in the US routinely denied equal access to legal protection of self-defense no matter how hard they exercise their 2nd amendment rights.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

What aspects of GUN are Americans violently passionate about?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

stone cold posted:

making it legal to murder black children on the suspicion they might theoretically have one

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

archangelwar posted:

Better chance of success than embracing a pointless genocidal war of attrition. Arming minorities alone does not counter institutionalized white privilege, and has greater precedent of success in blunting the instruments of institutional oppression and death than expecting entrenched privilege to simply embrace the equality and free exercise of equal rights of underprivileged groups when it holds monopoly on state enabled violence that is virtually free of judicial and legislative accountability. Minorities with firearms are still extrajudicially executed in the US routinely denied equal access to legal protection of self-defense no matter how hard they exercise their 2nd amendment rights.

american whites will literally never accept disarmament lmao

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2017/06/22/the-demographics-of-gun-ownership/

quote:

Gun ownership varies considerably across demographic groups. For example, about four-in-ten men (39%) say they personally own a gun, compared with 22% of women. And while 36% of whites report that they are gun owners, about a quarter of blacks (24%) and 15% of Hispanics say they own a gun.

you cannot meaningfully reduce the number of white people having guns without having them institute full on loving fascism in reaction to that attempt.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Shut the gently caress up about guns

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

GalacticAcid posted:

Pointing out that historically, America sucks, and is bad.

A bit OT, but reading this, the question that popped into my mind was, "are there any nations that, factoring in size and actual ability, don't fit this description?" I mean if every country is lovely and the only countries that are less lovely are only so because they lacked the resources and power to be shittier, then that is at least important context.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Jaxyon posted:

Talk about how absurd the modern conservative NRA interpretation of the 2nd amendment.

Can't believe this wasn't already mentioned.

Eh. Even a lot of the gun-havers hate the NRA for being dogwhistle race-baiters profiting off of old scared white men and having a history of throwing sport shooters under the bus.

That said, it's not the NRA's interpretation of the 2nd that matters, it's the SCOTUS.

signalnoise posted:

I have made the argument that if we are going to use military equipment to pursue criminals, it should be done by the military, with military training. The response I get every time is "but that's not how our government works" and that's really the response I get for many many arguments, and I'm like yo maybe the way the government works isn't the best way it could work

Arguing that the Posse Comitatus Act should never have been made a law, and that the Reconstrution would have been more successful in stamping out slaverholder views in the South if the feds could have continued to use the Army to do the policing is a thing that would piss people on both sides of the Mason/Dixon off while likely being factually true. The conservative states' rights crowd for obvious reasons, and the liberal reservations against using the army as an occupying force inside our borders.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 9, 2018

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Kanine posted:

american whites will literally never accept disarmament lmao

Agreed, we live at the end of history and no further changes to culture are plausible. All events in history were but to propel us to this singularly inevitable time.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Probably the imperial nature of America's postwar role in the world, liberals are even more deeply committed to that role than conservatives

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

icantfindaname posted:

Probably the imperial nature of America's postwar role in the world, liberals are even more deeply committed to that role than conservatives

Could you expand on this? Especially the second part—I’ve never heard that before.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

stone cold posted:

Pretty much all aspects, except that video game called GUN.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Shut the gently caress up about guns
Well, I've found that explaining to people that gun control doesn't work makes some of them mad enough to wish for my suffering or death, so it seems like a decent enough topic for this thread.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

silence_kit posted:

Could you expand on this? Especially the second part—I’ve never heard that before.

There's an isolationist streak to mainstream conservatism, especially the libertarian flavors, that is against foreign intervention when there isn't a credible (in their mind at least) threat to the US in addition to a general desire to GTFO of the UN.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

silence_kit posted:

Obama is the prince of drones

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tricky D posted:

There's an isolationist streak to mainstream conservatism, especially the libertarian flavors, that is against foreign intervention when there isn't a credible (in their mind at least) threat to the US

I don’t think that this is a popular belief among Republicans. Certainly I agree that it is a popular libertarian belief. But libertarians don’t really matter and their views are not that popular.

Tricky D posted:

in addition to a general desire to GTFO of the UN.

I agree that this is a common Republican belief but that isn’t the same thing as being anti-interventionist. It could be a pro-unilateral interventionist belief.

Peven Stan posted:

Obama is the prince of drones

I wouldn’t attribute Obama’s drone strikes to his liberal nature/opinions. I think it is just something that modern US Presidents do now, both Republican & Democratic.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 9, 2018

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Maybe Republicans just pretend to be non-interventionist when convenient (see Libya).

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

silence_kit posted:

I don’t think that this is a popular belief among Republicans. Certainly I agree that it is a popular libertarian belief. But libertarians don’t really matter and their views are not that popular.

I agree that this is a common Republican belief but that isn’t the same thing as being anti-interventionist. It could be a pro-unilateral interventionist belief.

I wouldn’t attribute Obama’s drone strikes to his liberal nature/opinions. I think it is just something that modern US Presidents do now, both Republican & Democratic.

scratch a libertarian and a fascist bleeds

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Pointing out that the US stole California, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, and Utah from Mexico.

Or pointing out the forced deportation of between half a million and two million Mexican-Americans, over half of which were born in the US and were US citizens, in the 1930's.

Or pointing out the Eugenics obsession that a lot of states and the federal government had at the turn of the century.

Or pointing out that Hitler's Nuremberg laws were based off of the south's Jim Crow laws.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Oblivious posted:

Agreed, we live at the end of history and no further changes to culture are plausible. All events in history were but to propel us to this singularly inevitable time.

yeah because pointing out the truth that white americans as a bloc are reactionary and will never willingly relinquish their firearms as saying all future changes to culture are impossible.

like yes i'd fuckin love to take as many guns as i could out of the hands of fascists but that's literally impossible and all you can do is try to help the communities they target to defend themselves.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

silence_kit posted:

America's postwar empire and anticommunism were all driven by liberal democrats, the Republican party was lukewarm on it until Reagan comes along at least. FDR, Truman, Kennedy, Johnson, all of these people were Democrats. McCarthyism did have a strong base in nativist Republican conservatism but it was tacitly supported and used by centrist Democrats like Truman to essentially cripple and purge the left wing of the party that was opposed to the Cold War. Part of what created neoconservatism and Reaganism was that the Cold Warriors were fed up with the left's influence within the Democratic Party after the 1960s and 70s and bolted to the Republicans. Then after Democrats come back to power under Clinton, the centrist liberal imperialism reasserts itself and the left are branded hopelessly antiquated Regressive Left dictator-lovers for opposing wars in the middle east. The stuff about Hillary Clinton supporting the Iraq War etc is not just some historical accident, it's baked really deep into the foundations of Democratic Party liberalism

Here's a nice book on liberals and the FBI under J Edgar Hoover in the early Cold War era

https://press.princeton.edu/titles/4318.html

quote:

In the super-heated anticommunist politics of the early Cold War period, American liberals turned to the FBI. With the Communist party to the left of them and McCarthyism to the right, liberal leaders saw the Bureau as the only legitimate instrument to define and protect the internal security interests of the state. McCarthyism provided ample proof of the dangers of security by congressional investigation. In response, liberals delegated extensive powers to J. Edgar Hoover--creating a domestic intelligence capacity that circumvented constitutional and legal controls. This balanced account of the link between liberal leaders in the United States and the growth of the FBI will appeal to a broad audience of readers interested in the American political climate. William Keller identifies a tension between liberalism and the security of the state that can never be fully resolved, and analyzes the exact mechanisms through which liberals and liberal government came to tolerate and even venerate an authoritarian state presence in their midst.

The author shows how the liberal offensive against domestic communism succeeded both in weakening McCarthyism and in disabling the Communist party in the United States. What was the cost of these successes? Keller's answer assesses the liberal community's contribution to changes in the FBI between 1950 and 1970: its transformation into an independent, unaccountable political police.

silence_kit posted:

I agree libertarians don't matter, but Trump's successful campaign both in the primary and the general election says there's a big audiencefor isolationism in the GOP, or at least an interventionism that's limited and not general and overarching ala institutions like NATO or the TPP

And historically speaking, like I said, neoconservative interventionism wasn't really a thing until the 1980s, before that the Republicans were actually more isolationist than Democrats, and what you're seeing now is IMO simply a return to the historical status quo

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 10, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The US and UK were equally at fault for the War of 1812, which was a dumbass slapfight between two genocidal states.

The canadians did near-nothing in the War of 1812, which was fought by british regulars from Europe.

The burning of Washington was in retaliation for the far more tactically-relevant burning of York, Upper Canada, and achieved nothing substantial.

US aid saved countless russian lives and helped bring a swifter end to the Eastern Front.

Preventing soviet occupation of european countries was a justified war goal, and being liberated by the western allies in Europe was infinitely superior to being liberated by the soviets. Compare France and Hungary's attempts go their own way and note that there were no Pattons rolling through Paris enforcing an american puppet government. Also consider that the western allies never decided that the best course of action was to actively invade any countries alongside Nazi Germany and never asked Hitler for the go ahead to annex minor powers. The allies also didn't rape their way across the Rhineland or execute liberated PoWs for the crime of surrendering.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 10, 2018

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Preventing soviet occupation of european countries was a justified war goal, and being liberated by the western allies in Europe was infinitely superior to being liberated by the soviets. Compare France and Hungary's attempts go their own way and note that there were no Pattons rolling through Paris enforcing an american puppet government.*

*Offer only valid for fellow white imperialist colonialist countries; Middle Eastern, Asian and Latin American countries who wish to go their own way get napalmed and/or violently couped

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also consider that the western allies never decided that the best course of action was to actively invade any countries alongside Nazi Germany and never asked Hitler for the go ahead to annex minor powers.

*puts """liberated""" East Asian countries right back in the clutches of colonial occupation, sometimes even keeping the same dictator the Japanese put there in power because hey he is already proven effective at murder and repression*

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 10, 2018

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Kanine posted:

yeah because pointing out the truth that white americans as a bloc are reactionary and will never willingly relinquish their firearms as saying all future changes to culture are impossible.

like yes i'd fuckin love to take as many guns as i could out of the hands of fascists but that's literally impossible and all you can do is try to help the communities they target to defend themselves.

Human beings are reactionary af throughout all times and places in history.

Things change regardless. I think it's probably best to keep trying to remove guns from the hands of basically everybody because arming to counter the murderous impulses of white supremacists is putting a band-aid on a sucking chest wound.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Oblivious posted:

Human beings are reactionary af throughout all times and places in history.

Things change regardless. I think it's probably best to keep trying to remove guns from the hands of basically everybody because arming to counter the murderous impulses of white supremacists is putting a band-aid on a sucking chest wound.

white people are and always will be the most reactionary group of people as long as they maintain white supremacy.

the law enforcement that will be in charge of taking away guns is comprised of white supremacists, they will not disarm their comrades. the history of the application of gun laws in the united states is one of disarming people of color and actively ignoring the accumulation of guns into the hands of whites.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
oh another aspect of american history white americans are violently passionate about is claiming the black panthers were somehow as bad as the kkk

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

stone cold posted:

The Chaos Emeralds and why GUN arent the only ones who have them

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

VitalSigns posted:

*Offer only valid for fellow white imperialist colonialist countries; Middle Eastern, Asian and Latin American countries who wish to go their own way get napalmed and/or violently couped

*puts """liberated""" East Asian countries right back in the clutches of colonial occupation, sometimes even keeping the same dictator the Japanese put there in power because hey he is already proven effective at murder and repression*

See, you got pissy because I said a thing the US did was good. I didn’t say any of the bad poo poo it did at the same time was also good, or that it was outweighed by the good. Point made, pack it in leftailures

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Just conveniently left it out of the narrative.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

VitalSigns posted:

Just conveniently left it out of the narrative.

Yup, because it is a thing that riles up americans. Peace!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I mean yeah dishonesty tends to annoy people, good job?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

VitalSigns posted:

I mean yeah dishonesty tends to annoy people, good job?

*edgar allen ho eats own feces* ha pack it in leftailures

e:

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The Chaos Emeralds and why GUN arent the only ones who have them

something something iblis trigger

stone cold fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 11, 2018

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I dont think American white people are particularly bad. Pretty much every culture on earth is racist, sexist, etc. :shrug:

Also guns are good. i dont even own guns but I kinda wanna.

Anyway, a thing that pisses off Americans is pointing out that they didnt single-handedly defeat the Nazis. We played a huge part, but we didn't do it alone.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Blue Star posted:

I dont think American white people are particularly bad. Pretty much every culture on earth is racist, sexist, etc. :shrug:

Yes, but most goons live in countries where white people and men are the ones who have the *leverage* to harm other people, even unintentionally, through their sexism/racism. If you're a Hutu living in Chicago it's not particularly relevant (on a societal scale) how racist you are because it's not like you have a bunch of Hutus in positions of power to deny people jobs or frame them for crimes. Whereas if you're a Hutu living in Rwanda, then your racism is *way* more significant.

If white people disappeared globally tomorrow, some other ethnic or social faction would step up and be total dicks in their efforts to come out on top. And they already do that in plenty of countries where there aren't enough white people in power to fulfill the "primary rear end in a top hat" role.

quote:

Also guns are good. i dont even own guns but I kinda wanna.

You totally should. Just drop into the TFR beginner thread and let them know generally what you want a gun for (or if it's just for kicks, what kind of gun you find appealing) and what your price range is. If you're in the US, depending on what state you live in there are cool rifles to be bought for under $100, and even with a budget of $250 or so you can get a decently cool handgun of some sort. Or if you have $450 or so, the go-to All-American option is to buy the parts and assemble an AR-15 rifle, which you can do with almost no tools and finish in about 20 minutes by watching a YouTube tutorial, and you save $100 or more if you assemble your own from parts.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

If white people disappeared globally tomorrow, some other ethnic or social faction would step up and be total dicks in their efforts to come out on top. And they already do that in plenty of countries where there aren't enough white people in power to fulfill the "primary rear end in a top hat" role.

Chinese people discovered East Africa before YT and came with bigger ships and more people, yet somehow never colonized.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Peven Stan posted:

Chinese people discovered East Africa before YT and came with bigger ships and more people, yet somehow never colonized.

You're arguing this is out of taking the moral high ground, as opposed to having other priorities and being really isolationist?

The Han Chinese have also stomped on a shitload of ethnic groups that happened to be on territory they wanted to control, from Manchuria to Mongolia to Taiwan to Tibet, to Xinjang.

And at least Americans have some vague sense of guilt causing them to make some token efforts to not be assholes in modern Africa. Whereas the Chinese are perfectly happy to cosy up to dictators, ignore human rights violations, and abuse their employees on mining and roadbuilding projects to the point it causes anti-Chinese riots. If China has the slightest introspective twinge of "man, we've been assholes before, we should at least put out some minimal effort to not do that", by all means present it.

I'm all for blaming white people for benefiting from white people historically and currently being lovely, but it's not that a lack of melanin magically causes sociopathy. And it's not particularly enlightened to say "oh, we can forgive horrendous acts so long as it's a non-white person doing it".

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

You're arguing this is out of taking the moral high ground, as opposed to having other priorities and being really isolationist?

The Han Chinese have also stomped on a shitload of ethnic groups that happened to be on territory they wanted to control, from Manchuria to Mongolia to Taiwan to Tibet, to Xinjang.

And at least Americans have some vague sense of guilt causing them to make some token efforts to not be assholes in modern Africa. Whereas the Chinese are perfectly happy to cosy up to dictators, ignore human rights violations, and abuse their employees on mining and roadbuilding projects to the point it causes anti-Chinese riots. If China has the slightest introspective twinge of "man, we've been assholes before, we should at least put out some minimal effort to not do that", by all means present it.

I'm all for blaming white people for benefiting from white people historically and currently being lovely, but it's not that a lack of melanin magically causes sociopathy. And it's not particularly enlightened to say "oh, we can forgive horrendous acts so long as it's a non-white person doing it".

Sounds like the standard white guy trying to deflect from his own terrible history.

A little thought experiment for you: Why is every country in the world a westphalian nation state and why do people globally wear white men's business suits?

Historically speaking there have been several empires that could've engaged in european style colonialism and mass genocide, but didn't. Either out of sheer laziness or the fact that their ruling ideology value see sailing around the world and enslaving everyone they could see.

It's a typical deflection utilized by dishonest white liberals, and ironically another instance of this thread living up to it's premise unintentionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Peven Stan posted:

Sounds like the standard white guy trying to deflect from his own terrible history.

A little thought experiment for you: Why is every country in the world a westphalian nation state and why do people globally wear white men's business suits?

Historically speaking there have been several empires that could've engaged in european style colonialism and mass genocide, but didn't. Either out of sheer laziness or the fact that their ruling ideology value see sailing around the world and enslaving everyone they could see.

It's a typical deflection utilized by dishonest white liberals, and ironically another instance of this thread living up to it's premise unintentionally.

Everyone sucks, dude. I dont know what to tell you. History is full of genocides and slavery. Geez, man.

• Locked thread