Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Wait, online Dominions?

Hot dang I learned something pretty awesome today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I tend to switch up my strategies whenever I play the game as well although it's more because I can do that and still be effective while making the game more interesting for myself/everyone involved.

Variety is the spice of life after all.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Nidoking posted:

Sometimes, there are several strategies that can work well, and it's hard to judge which is best. Other times, there's a clear winner, and if you let the opponent get more of the critical cards than you have, you'll lose by fifty points. Being able to judge that from looking at the kingdom is an art that I'm still learning. I watch a lot of videos and try to play as much as I can, but I still tend to think either "action dense, draw my entire deck every turn" or "avoid actions and fill my deck with money" and very little in between. To be fair, the base set doesn't offer the huge variety of strategies that the expansions will enable, but as the Size Distortion video showed, there are strong strategies that don't involve either. Here's my commentary on that:

The other thing to look at, as you've pointed out at the end, is the ability of the kingdom for you to disrupt other's strategies. Action-dense decks are in general more robust to disruption because you generally don't care what's in your deck, you're gonna go through as much of it as possible anyway.
Money decks are more vulnerable to disruption since they rely on purchasing power and since you can only use the money in your hand... Let's just say I won a game vs. garden rush by chaining bureaucrats (and using the silver to buy province/duchy's.)

Having mostly played the first edition I had to look up a few of the new cards in the base set and now I want to buy the second set. (although RIP feast, you got me through a bundle of games by letting me pre-buy Duchy's.)