Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Fish Noise posted:

Ever since the first time I saw this come up, this is the part I always look forward to in these LPs.

Me? or how they react to the character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Both, really, in addition to how you react to how they react to you.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Sun had no reason to kill Oliver. All he did was proclaim how much of a winner he was.

Not like that creep Malcolm who was spying on her.

Malcolm can burn in hell.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I didn't know about this.
That's a strange way to be immortalized.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Will you repost the fan-fic, or is that too embarrassing to show? What was the 'topic' of the story?

Hopefully a future Fallout will show us the canonical ending/continuation of the saga of the Lottery Winner.

Wait, no, the character may end up with the worse fate possible and end up in a East Coast game! :gonk:

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

LashLightning posted:

Will you repost the fan-fic, or is that too embarrassing to show? What was the 'topic' of the story?

Hopefully a future Fallout will show us the canonical ending/continuation of the saga of the Lottery Winner.
I don't even have it anymore. I might be able to dig it up on Obsidian's boards, but it'd take some doing because I think it's been archived. It was basically a tale about the party going Sith troopers on Taris AFTER their party with Revan, where they wake up hung over and missing their uniforms, and have to go into the sewers to find Revan and his cohort.

Still have the shirt though (even though it competes with the shirt from transformers for "The tightest shirt!" because I've gotten old and fat)

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Once again, good poo poo coming out of your updates. I can only assume Vulture will be wearing that trophy for a while yet, she's obviously the most dangerous thing on the east coast, not the Legion.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
I think we're supposed to translate "Vulpes Inculta" as "Desert Fox"

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

HannibalBarca posted:

I think we're supposed to translate "Vulpes Inculta" as "Desert Fox"

Yeah, it's not the best straight translation, since "Inculta" means "uncultivated land," which explains a desert pretty well.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
FYI you call the city Novac instead of Nipton a couple times.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dang. That's some pretty beefy unarmed. Do all those corpse pyres inflict any amount of fire damage or are they just cosmetic?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Lil disappointed you didn't dodge Nipton til later, 'cause no one ever does. But hey, I just set up mines on the road he walks up, so who I am to talk

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

theshim posted:

FYI you call the city Novac instead of Nipton a couple times.

Should be fixed now, thanks.

I swear, I get them mixed up so many times.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Chapter 8: Sun Vulture and the Tourist Trap

Music: Travelin’ Man

Wanting to get the hell out of Nipton, Sun continues around the bend towards Novac.

This upcoming stretch of road is almost as memorable as the town we just visited. Why?

Because it is notorious for ambushing the players with mines and enemies.

Before we start going after the gang members waiting around for us to cross the road, we have this capsized truck filled with guns and a star cap.

Of course, thanks to ED-E, we see them coming a mile away.

We will be using a machete we looted from one of the Legion soldiers we killed, and show off a unique move that comes with it: Back Slash!

It deals 70% of the damage of a regular attack, but costs less AP to use, and it looks pretty...anime?

Anyway, we still have quite a ways to go.

Not far off the road is Wolfhorn Ranch, a nice pit stop for players.

You know, unless they aggro the mysterious figures over yonder.

It has some dead crops, irradiated water, an overgrown planter, and vagrants passing by.

Well, let’s see if anyone’s home.

Nooooope, totally abandoned. I’m sure someone not at all important to our courier once lived here.

There are at least some good things to be found here, like this Tumblers Today (+3 Lockpicking, permanently).

And this Stealth Boy (unsure if this is a random spawn or not).

But the real treasure is Chopper, the unique variant of the cleaver weapon. This boasts a higher damage, higher crit rate, and higher limb damage! It also uses the Back Slash move, but requires a Melee skill of 50 to perform.

With a quick rest, we emerge from the shack and see that the Prospector from before has found himself in a battle with those cloaked figures.

They seem to be the alive version of that Bright Follower corpse we found back in the Goodsprings Cave. They are also our proper introduction to ghouls, which are humans who have succumbed to fatal radiation damage and survived, but suffered melted skin deformities and are forced to live longer.

Normally, they are just regular humans with botched plastic surgery, but there are more feral, zombie-like ones (pretty much all ghouls turn feral at one point or another). These ones are not feral, but are “deranged”. Which means we should feel no ill will for killing them.

Protecting the Prospector (at least I think he survived) gets us to level 6, which we use to get our Melee to a round 50 and we begin putting more points into Science!.

Without a good choice of perks to pick, we go for Toughness, raising our DT by 3 for each rank.

Novac is our destination, but we will go to Searchlight in the future.

Along the way, we come across a roaming (scripted) caravan of merchants, which we offload some our loot to.

With our third ambush on the road, some Legion boys are waiting for the caravan we just met. Despite the fact we murdered their frumentarius and his squad, they aren’t hostile to us. This will quickly change.

It’s fine, though; the merchants have hired mercs of their own to protect them.

To the east, we spot some NCR troopers leading a blitz towards a Legion camp, which just so happens to house some captured Powder Gangers.

Since it’s basically 3 on 10, we give the NCR a helping hand.

Among the Legion recruits is their Decanus, which is their “leader of ten”. Basically just a higher rank of enemy for the Legion-type.

Eh, they’ve been through enough. They can run into more trouble hopefully somewhere safer.

While we were helping the NCR with their Legion raid, the caravan has seen fit to get into yet another ambush. This time, it’s just more gang members (Vipers, I believe), so they managed just find.

There’s another group of them by the train tunnel, but luckily the caravan never went that way.

With the last quarter of our journey to Novac coming to an end, we spot some kind of outpost by the road.

What, did they not have enough paint to cover the back? There’s lazy, and then there’s just being tacky.

Ranger Station Charlie is an NCR outpost constructed entirely out of a trailer park from the old world.

It’s...pretty barren, given the state of things.

What is this place?
Ranger Station Charlie. We're responsible for keeping the highway up through Novac civilized.
I ran into, like, four ambushes on the way here.
That’s all? You’re welcome.
Anything unusual happening around here?
All quiet at the moment. Ranger Beaumont is in charge here, but he's off leading a patrol.

What was that about McCarran?
Radio signal out here can be pretty spotty because of all the hills. Sometimes our scheduled updates don't go through.
When it happens enough times, they send someone over to check up on us. Lately, we've been getting extra medical supplies for some reason.
I'm in no rush to give the supplies back, either.
Mind if I take some of those extra medical supplies? Specifically, the drugs. And alcohol.
I shouldn't have said anything in the first place, and I'd rather not get you into the habit of crossing the NCR.

Tell me about the Rangers.
We're part scout, part commando, part sheriff. The training is brutal, and I'd say eight out of ten recruits washes out before the end.
Before you get your Ranger badge, you've got to prove you can be quieter than a shadow and more ferocious than a Deathclaw. Floaty-er than a Bloatfly and stingier than a Cazador.
Okay, I get it.
Are there a lot of Rangers in the Mojave?
Couple dozen, I'd say, most of them posted at stations like this one. We either man the station or patrol the immediate area.
How does someone become a Ranger?
The Rangers mostly draw from the basic NCR army. A trooper who shows exceptional skill at fighting and scouting can be nominated for the training.

Our visit to the local law enforcement over, we see Novac in the horizon, with some kind of tourist attraction looming in the distance.

So, Novac is our first non-tutorial town. Goodsprings was to get our feet wet, Primm was under siege, and Nipton was, well...yeah. It has everything an open world town needs:

An outdoor mess hall.

A place for repairs, recycling, and crafting (a workbench and reloading bench are in the garage, with some crafting materials we can steal.)

A hotel with a room we can rent.

Homes for the locals.

But most importantly…

A sketchy physician!

Oh my god, a doctor! After so long! (Okay, Sun, try not to kill this one!)
Hey, you say that to yourself, too?

Sun’s wounds healed, radiation cleared, and stock of unsterile medical supplies, we head off to get a room, but run into an old...stalking robot.

What are you doing in Novac?
Don't rightly know - I just got the notion to make my way to New Vegas. Reckon I'll find out when I get there.
Quite a coincidence us meeting like this.
Seeing how this is the only road around, I'd be a sight more surprised if we didn't run into each other from time to time.
You said the men that jumped me were heading this way, right?
No, don't believe I did, but you might ask around - the Novac folk usually see anyone traveling this way.

So what's the story with this place?
Novac? Nice enough place I suppose... but between you and me - when I rolled into town my skin started to itch. Watch yourself.
I could use a bed and some supplies.
Well, this ain't New Vegas, but I reckon you can find what you need here. Try the office out front.

Oh, and by the way, just stay out of my way, robot.
I'll let that slide seeing how you gotta mind full of vengeance for that no-good polecat and all.

The office building is pretty typical. Soda machine, couch, front desk

giant mailbox

Well. Welcome to you. You look tired from the road. Why don't you relax a spell, let this fine town take care of you?
We haven't met yet.
Oh, what am I doing? I got to thinking about making a good impression and plain forgot to tell you my name.
I'm Jeannie May. I take care of folks here at the motel. Long as they aren't trouble makers.
What is this place?
We're in a little desert oasis, name of Novac. This is the Dino Dee-lite Motel, and it's mine.

What is there of interest around here?
Well, there's Dinky, the town mascot. He's a sight. You probably already saw him when you came in, but you can go up inside, too.
Up the road a ways to the west, there's REPCONN. That's the old rocket factory.
There's been some sinister characters out there lately, so you may want to stay clear.
Other than that, nothing to do but take it easy and enjoy good company.

Anything else?
Well, up north a ways you'll see a big tower. That's HELIOS One. Used to be a power plant in its day.
And there's a town just east of here called Nelson. Used to be such a quaint little place until those slavers took it over.
But we got our wonderful snipers keeping an eye in that direction, and so far the slavers have left us alone.

I'm looking for a man in a checkered coat. Have you seen anyone like that?
Well he might've been wearing a fancy outfit, but he wasn't any kind of a gentleman to me.
Had his nose stuck so high in the air, you couldn't see it above the clouds. City folk, they always think they deserve better than what they got.
Those hoodlums he was with seemed to know Manny for some reason. He's our daytime sniper, up in the dinosaur's mouth.
Well, sun’s going down, so I guess I’ll ask him tomorrow. I'd like to rent a room.
Well, I think that's a fine idea. I'll give you a good flat rate, and you can stay as long as you like. Least till the busy season comes. Sound good? <100 caps>

The room isn’t half bad. It’s on the upper floor of the motel, and has a bed, safe, restroom, and comes with a stocked fridge! Definitely nothing fancy, but the room is ours for the rest of the game! Nifty.

Sun sits down at the mess hall with a Caravan Lunch and some beer, one step closer to the platinum chip and the rear end in a top hat who shot her for it.

ApeHawk fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 28, 2018

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I assume everybody kills Vulpes and takes his cool hat.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I usually start the game with a grenade rifle (it, it's ammunition and the water canteen are the only things I don't drop or sell at the beggining of the game), thanks to the courier's stash. I tend to keep the grenade rifle until I meet old Vulpes.

Then I proceed to waste all my AP into chunking him and his Legionaries

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I always go :black101: on Vulps. Even on the one playthrough I allied myself with the legion. It's just...so cathartic to murder that motherfucker to death. Nipton was a hellhole, but it didn't deserve that.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
He's got one of those chainsaw knives as well, hasn't he? Those looked good for the big armour penetration but I've never really tried a melee character in this.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

The first time I played, I was too stunned to do anything except watch him leave. But only the first time.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
I usually let him live. My preferred method of killing in this game is large bullets delivered directly to the head at high speed from great distances; I try not to start fights up close.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

David Corbett posted:

I usually let him live. My preferred method of killing in this game is large bullets delivered directly to the head at high speed from great distances; I try not to start fights up close.

Psh. That's the wussy way to deal with him. Just grab the nearest Melee weapon and chunk his rear end with the fury of a thousand suns. Alternatively: EXPLOSIONS?!!!

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
No, no, you see, the best way to do it is to take Animal Friend and let the dogs tear him and his gang to pieces for you. See how he likes it.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

I think we can all agree that no matter the method, it's always satisfying to kill Vulpes Inculta.

VulpesInculta
Jul 11, 2012
Hello I'm Mr Sepluv and I would very much recommend against every killing Vulpes Inculta, fine fellow he is.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

:agesilaus:You're not acting smug all of a sudden Inculta.:agesilaus:

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

I let him walk away, then stuff his trousers full of dynamite.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

VulpesInculta posted:

Hello I'm Mr Sepluv and I would very much recommend against every killing Vulpes Inculta, fine fellow he is.

I like the way Mr Sepluv thinks!

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009
Vulpes shows up later in the game if you either miss Nipton or let him live for some reason, so it's worth letting him live in at least one playthrough. The first time that I ran into Vulpes was on the Strip. He won't have his wolf hat then though but a gambler suit that looks completely ridiculous on him. :3:
(The first time that I played NV I circumvented this part completely and ran into The Brotherhood of Steel and best friend Tabitha before going to Novac through the moutains somehow. :v:

Great LP, looking forward to seeing how you handle the more annoying enemies with this build. But why does every Unarmed playthrough of the Fallout games always have to start with the PC slaughtering a settlement full of completely innocent people? :ohdear: I get that it's because of easy XP but seriously..

PenguinSalsa fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Feb 27, 2018

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

PenguinSalsa posted:

But why does every Unarmed playthrough of the Fallout games always have to start with the PC slaughtering a settlement full of completely innocent people? :ohdear:

I think it's more showing off a road-not-taken version of the game. I know the times I've played the game I never took the pee-gee's side - perhaps because I never saw where the boss of the local gang was hanging out nearby. I just bolted for the gas station and then...

Hell, it was a few playthroughs in that I even found that Doc Mitchell would give you stuff for this quest.

Xandor TikRoth
Mar 10, 2012

I can definitely help with that

ApeHawk posted:

[/i]Specifically, the drugs. And alcohol.[/i]

Nice LP so far. This game has one of the coolest intros to a game, but sadly, I just never really got into it. Really interested to see where this goes!

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Xandor TikRoth posted:

Nice LP so far. This game has one of the coolest intros to a game, but sadly, I just never really got into it. Really interested to see where this goes!

ARGH! drat my lack of proofreading. It's fixed; thanks.

Glad you guys are enjoying the LP, anyway! The devs put a lot of care into Unarmed/Melee and I've never seen it properly shown off in this game, so I figured I would. That, and I just love this loving game!

If you guys wanna check out some other LPs of this fine masterpiece, I have some suggestions!

Many A True Nerd: A youtuber who actually edits his videos and has SEVERAL different playthroughs and challenge runs of F:NV. Virtually knows the game inside and out. Highly recommended.

Brian Reynolds: An SA poster/game designer who decided to try out one of MATN's challenge runs! Also knows the game very very well.

2house2fly: Another SA poster, did a pretty thorough and in-depth LP until responsibilities happened. I wish I put as much effort into this LP as he did.

I'm sure there are other great LPs of this game that I haven't listed, but I also wish that if none of you have played the game, give it a try! There's all sorts of ways to play it!

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Jon, from Many a Truck Need, does some insane poo poo. Permadesth mode was too easy for him, so he made his "You Online Live Once" runs, which are about one permanent health bar, no healing. He even has a self counter for it because the game has a slight time based healrate, and entering DLC resets your HP and Rads.

And he completed both New Vegas and Fallout 3 under those rules.

Xandor TikRoth
Mar 10, 2012

I can definitely help with that

Siegkrow posted:

Jon, from Many a Truck Need, does some insane poo poo. Permadesth mode was too easy for him, so he made his "You Online Live Once" runs, which are about one permanent health bar, no healing. He even has a self counter for it because the game has a slight time based healrate, and entering DLC resets your HP and Rads.

And he completed both New Vegas and Fallout 3 under those rules.

That's some hilariously unintentional auto correct right there.

Currently watching Jon's "You Only Live Once" playthrough. Thanks for the recommend ApeHawk!

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
And I thought my Legion Pacifist run was crazy.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
what's even more insane is that it's pretty clear he is not running ahead of himself off camera, or if he is he's really loving good at hiding it. he acts on remembered information, but there's slight discrepancies and the occasional major mistake that make it clear that this isn't especially fresh for him. so, he will just call up all this information right before he goes to do something from the depths of his brain and it will be correct almost all the time, but only almost. the level of memorization he has with the games is loving savant-stage.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Chapter 9: Sun Vulture and the Occupied Novac

Music: The Dinosaur Song

Sun awakes and walks outside her new motel room, embarking towards the tall dinosaur building where her next clue awaits.

Welcome to the Dino Bite Gift Shop. My name's Cliff. If you're here for the t-rex figurines, you're just in time. There's still a few left.
Oh those thingies? I saw some over by a Powder Ganger camp. How did they end up here?
Well, they unloaded what they had left on the Dino Bite as a tax write-off. But that was before my time.
Plenty of demand for them, seeing as they're one-of-a-kind collectors items. But I might still have some in back.

What do you sell here?
Well, there's t-rex figurines, of course. That's our bread and butter.
We also have an assortment of the REPCONN factory souvenirs - rockets, things of that nature.
Tell me more about the souvenir rockets.
They're scale replicas of the real thing. Very detailed. Got a liquid in them that makes them glow.
From what I hear, REPCONN used to give them out on tours of their HQ up in Henderson.
But I guess they had to stop after the first few kids thought they were filled with Nuka Cola and drank it down.

I'm not really sure it's safe to carry those things around.
I understand if that's how you feel. But keep in mind that I've been selling these for years and I'm fine.
I'm sure the kids that buy them are all fine too.
<analytical beeping>
Oh, that...that’s unfortunate.
W-what’s wrong?
Nothing. You might wanna have the town doctor check you out, though.
Have you met the woman? Cuz she’d just make me worse.

Sure, but he didn't buy any souvenirs, if that's what you're wondering. Sounded like he didn't have his money with him.
His friends seemed disappointed about it. Heck, I would be, too, if I found such a fine store and left my money elsewhere.
Manny might know more about them. Thought he might've been friends with one or two of 'em. He's up in the dino mouth during the day.

Soooo... What about supplies? And weapons? Do you sell those?
Weapons? I, uh, well... yeah, I guess I might have a few.

By the way, did Jeannie send you?
Nah, I just wanted to see what was inside the giant dinosaur.
Ah, shame. Woulda given you a discount if she did.
That...sounds like a terrible business practice.
Gotta get boots marching into the gift shop somehow.
You already have a gigantic eyesore that makes anyone curious to see what’s inside it.
Well, yeah, but –
And since it’s obvious you are trying to offload these toys, why not just give them out for free with a purchase? That way you can advertise the shop to other towns and tribes.
Give them away? I’d lose so much money, though!
You’re losing money with that stupid discount!

...are you gonna get something or not?

We buy some stuff from Cliff, such as some armor that we’ll get a good look at next chapter.

This is one of the “few” times we’ll break into someone’s property. Why?

Because the place is full of dinky toys and rocket souvenirs. And it’s all counted as not-stealing. The best kind of stealing.

It also has a unique weapon, That Gun, which is a special 5.66mm pistol that grants overall better stats than its common counterpart, as well as lights. Oooh, pretty lights.

Anyway, upstairs is Manny Vargas, the person we actually wanted to talk to.

Who are you?
I'm Manny. I'm on security detail here.
You see a rifle barrel sticking out of the dinosaur's mouth, you got a fifty-fifty shot it's me. Otherwise it's Boone.
Who's Boone?
Boone's a sniper, same as me. Used to spot for him when we were enlisted with the NCR.
After we got out, I talked him into settling down here. So, here we are.
I'd introduce you, but uh... we're not so friendly right now.

What’s with the bad blood between you two?
Me and his wife, we didn't see eye-to-eye on some things. We had some pretty big arguments.
One day she turns up missing, and he hasn't said a word to me since.
What did you and Boone's wife argue about?
Man, you name it.
See, I grew up in North Vegas. Me and my cousins. We were some bad seeds. Got in with a gang. I loved it.
Then something happened, and I couldn't handle it anymore.
So, I enlisted. Earned my future. Brought down my best friend to share that future with me.
And here was this woman who was too good for it, trying to take him away. So yeah. I didn't see eye-to-eye with the bitch.

So you were in a gang? Were they tough?
Were they tough? I was in the Khans, man. It doesn't get any badder.
What was your tour with the NCR like?
Oh, it was great. I wouldn't trade it.
Something about that lifestyle, the discipline. Seeing new places, making people safe. What's not to like?
So why'd you leave?
Ah, well... I just felt like it was time, you know? Wanted to have a home.
Plus I was up at Camp Golf when Bitter Springs went down. I faked like I was sick to get out of going, because I knew some of the people there.

What did happen at Bitter Springs?
I still don't know exactly. Just that a lot of people died who didn't want to be part of the fighting at all.
I don't blame anybody for it. There's so much chaos when you're fighting, you're lucky not to shoot your own guys.
But it did take something out of it for me. Just wasn't the same. So when it came time to re-enlist, I just took my papers and walked.

What do you protect your town from?
You name it. Anything that comes within a thousand yards that looks like trouble.
Lately we been getting ghouls, coming from the road to REPCONN, out to the west. Quite a few, last couple days.
The big threat is the Legion coming from the East. If they decide to attack with a full force they'll run us over. But so far we been lucky.
I'm looking for a man in a checkered coat.
Sure, I know him. What do you want with him?
I have a score to settle.

Well listen, I can definitely help you find him, but I've got problems of my own.
Maybe we can do a trade. You need my help. There's something I need, too.
(This is starting to get tiring) What do you need?
Novac, it's home for me now. I want that to be for good. I like it here, and I've left too many homes behind.
But the only resource we got here is junk. Without that, people wouldn't have anything to trade. They'd all have to leave.
Well, yeah, those gift shop toys seem like those’re the only things you guys have.
No, I’m talking about scrap. Salvage. Those toys aren’t even fun to play with anymore.
We get most of it up the road from the old rocket test site. But a bunch of ghouls showed up one day and took it over. We can't get in there now.

Why don't you deal with it?
I would. But I've gotta watch the road. Caesar's Legion has been taking territory just east of here. They took Nelson.
If we let our guard down, they might attack. All it takes for the Legion is for them to sense weakness.
Yeah, they just sacked Nipton, too.
Oh poo poo, Nipton? They’re loving surrounding us already?
Yup. Anyway, about your ghoul problem, what needs to be done?
Well they gotta go, or this'll be a ghost town before long.
Doesn't matter to me what you do. As long as the ghouls are out of there, that's good enough for me.
Okay, I'll see what can be done about it.
It'd mean a lot to me.

Before heading out to complete Manny’s request, let’s meet the locals!

In this room we have Ranger Andy, an NCR veteran holed up in Novac.

We haven't met yet. You must be new in town. I'm Andy.
Sun Vulture. Nice to meetcha. What do you do here, Andy?
Right now? A whole lot of sitting on my keister and counting cracks in the ceiling. I wouldn't wish it on anybody.
On better days I help keep the peace. Boone and Vargas watch the road, I watch the town. Tell myself I'm doing some good.

Did you do something to your leg?
Yeah. Twice. Actually the first time it was more like half my body. Knocked me out of the Rangers.
This time it's mostly just reminded me how useless I've gotten.
What happened?
A few years back, we get a tip that some Legion slavers were holed up in this burnt out house a few klicks from where we were stationed.
We get there and it's deserted. No sign anyone's been there. I mean nothing. As we're leaving, I hear something behind me.
I turn around and there's this kid, just skin and bone, and he's looking up at us and he's scared half to death. Been hiding in a closet.
What did you do?
I go to grab him out of there and I notice he's holding something in his hand. Something metal.
He shuts himself back inside the closet and that's when I see the grenade he's left by my feet.
They do it a lot, the Legion. Using kids. They know we'll hesitate.
Holy poo poo...

...wow, talk about tonal whiplash. But, hey, dude...

Heh. People don't exactly line up to find out what's in my head. Can't remember the last time someone suggested I knew something worth knowing.
You know, maybe there's something I can do for you. Since you've gone to all the trouble of flattering a crippled old soldier.
There's a move we have in the Rangers for knocking an opponent off his feet. Saved my butt a bunch of times, maybe it will for you too.

We finally learned a special Unarmed power attack move: the Ranger Takedown!

It’s basically a leg sweep that knocks down anyone it hits. Since you have to move backwards to activate it, it’s mostly useful for targets that are right next to you. It also cannot be performed when both legs are crippled or you are over-encumbered.

There’s also a bug where you can use this skill to “knock down” crucified victims. If you’re Unarmed is low enough, you can get them off the cross without killing them. They’ll just stand around, though, since they aren’t really meant to have that happened to them.

You're with the NCR, right?
Was. Was with them. That was back when my arm and leg used to work better.
I still like to pretend I'm a Ranger, though. I'll check in with the guys up at the station pretty regular on the ham radio.
Sometimes they stop by, tell me they're paying their respects, the smug bastards.

Really? I was just there yesterday.
Oh, they must’ve been out on patrol.
There was at least one guy there.
...Stepinac?
Yeah.
Oh, he’s just a prick.
Huh... Would you feel better if I checked on your NCR friends for you?
Uh... no. No. They're gonna think I'm having trouble letting go. They're good soldiers. I don't give them enough credit.

Tell me about the Rangers.
They're the NCR's finest. A one-man platoon, each of 'em.
You got a job where even thinking about it would scare a man senseless, that's when you bring in the Rangers.
And if you see a squad of the veterans - guys who earned their black armor... well... you won't find a more beautiful sight.
Well, guess I’ll get going. Seeya.

If I got time, then yeah.

Not a whole lot in his room, other than his crutches and medical braces…

But he does have a +3 Medicine skill book on his bed.

Next door is Cliff Briscoe’s room, whi-

I am very uncomfortable right now.

At the bottom of the motel building is Manny Vargas’ room, which we are free to enter.

Looks like he had some guests recently.

The terminal is also considered open to us, so let’s peek inside.

-McMurphy

Boulder City, huh? Well, now I don’t have to take care of the ghoul problem.
<nagging beeping>
ED-E, my time is precious and my revenge-induced rage is waning.
<temptational beeping>
Place might have good loot? Well, you twisted my arm, robro.

Another room, another neighbor!

You were a pilot?
Vertibird pilot. Seventy-one missions and only lost one chopper. Rotor malfunction over Klamath. Hard landing, but I walked away.
Did you fly for the NCR?
"For?" No, not exactly. It was a long time ago. Things are a lot different these days, and those days are way behind me.
What do you do in Novac?
I help folks strip down the more complicated bits of salvage they bring in - engines, mostly.
The bits and pieces we take out are usually worth more than the whole thing put together.

All this opening of doors to people’s property makes me wish an open world game would program in the option to knock on their doors and have them answer.

You know, for roleplaying purposes.

No, I don't. What makes you think that?
Sorry, it's just... you look like his type, y'know? You got that hard-rear end wasteland explorer thing going on.
Aww, that’s the nicest thing anyone’s ever said to me.
Aren't you that singer from New Reno? I think I saw you play the clubs there.
Oh, so you have heard of me. Yeah, that's right. I was the big draw at the Shark Club, people used to pay hundreds of caps to see me.
Why did you come all the way out here from New Reno?
You don't know Mr. Bishop. He's not like the other bosses up there. He knows the Wasteland like the back of his hand, and he likes to wander it.
I knew if I didn't get way the hell away from New Reno, he'd run me down like a dog.

Why would this Mr. Bishop be after you?
Oh, well, that's all just a big misunderstanding, see.
Mr. Bishop, well, he owed me a lot of money, and, y'know, he's a busy guy, so I sort of figured I'd just...take it off his hands.
You robbed a casino boss?
"Robbed" is such an ugly word. It's more like I took care of a payroll problem for him.

Jesus, dude. You really don't know when to quit, do you?
I guess I don't. That's why I'm here.

Fixing up this old bike to get outta here quick?
You know it. Keeps me busy, too.

We have some brahmin farmers to visit next!

What do you do here in Novac?
Oh, I tend to my ranch, that's about it. Alice'll tell you. I don't get out a whole lot.
I heard you've been losing livestock.
Losing don't describe it. It's a massacre. Few more days and there won't be nothing left to lose.
Did you get a look at the attacker?
Beg your pardon ma'am, but them two-headed beeves ain't worth getting shot over.
Not to mention what would happen if half of what No-bark says is true.
Best we can hope is that whoever's doing this'll move on, or get tired of it. I just hope it happens while we still got animals left.
Whoever it is, I don't think they're from around town. Seems like they're usually shooting from the west side.

Tell me what you know about the attacks.
Every night around midnight Alice and I'll wake up to some crazy hollering and gun shots. You'd think the world was ending all over again.
But it's just one animal each night. They don't take it or carve it up or nothing. Just leave it there, all full of holes.
I'll see if I can catch whoever's responsible.
We'd be grateful. Especially if you find 'em before they get my whole stock. But don't go getting yourself killed over it.
Alice and I'll find a way to make do. Always have.

I just wanted to meet you.
Oh! Well I'm Alice and you've already met my beau, Dusty. He's sweet, ain't he? I don't care what my mama said, I know how to pick 'em.
What do you think of the people who live here?
Oh, we keep to ourselves, for the most part. Try not to pry. I think Jeannie May gets bothered that we aren't more sociable, but it's just our way.
Ain't that we don't appreciate what she's done, managing this town like she has, but I worry she feels that way anyhow.
Not that there ain't others who pry around here. That No-bark was skulking around our yard last week.
<Laughs> I thought he was our cow-killer. Was about to lash him with our bullwhip till I saw who it was. He's harmless, though.
Part of me wishes I could see things like he sees 'em, all full of mystery.

How did No-bark get his name?
I'm not sure who started it. It wasn't a very nice name, but he took to calling himself by it, so we all had to.
I don't even remember what his real name is.

Man, I want a cool nickname, like “Super Cool Asskicker” or something.
<snarky beeping>
gently caress you! Be glad I’m not calling you “One-Eyed Monster,” dick.

What can you tell me about the attacks on your ranch?
Well, it's the strangest thing. Last time it happened I could swear I heard someone cry out for help. Sounded like a big fella.
But when we finally got up the gumption to go look outside all we found was our cattle. And I know what they sound like when they get upset.
I can't imagine what went on. Dusty can probably tell you more about it.

Man, I wish I brought my shovel with me.
<disgusted beeping>
Okay, first of all: I wasn’t going to eat the corpses in the graves. There’s no good meat left, and the irradiated dirt makes them all...gross.
And second...yeah, I was going to rob them.

There’s a house specifically for the Novac settlers, all clumped into one place.

It also has a star cap!

For the final home of note, we have No-bark’s shack!

:stare: ED-E, that’s a rigged shotgun in front of us, isn’t it?
<confirmational beeping>
Thought so. Let’s get outta here.

Dude, you got a problem with break-ins or something? Because I do not blame you.

Oh, that’s it.

<scolding beeping>
I was just messing with him, ED-E, chill.
If you're going to be weird, I'm just going to leave.
Weird's just normal when normal decides to start taking notice of things. You just think about that.
...I never thought of it that way.

Why do they call you No-bark?

Them quack doctors can say what they want about all the radscorpion stings that done pierced my skull. I know what I seen.

Sure have. Camouflage, that coat was, trying to hide from extra terrestrials what can only see in black and white checkers.
But they're not fooled 'cause he forgot to put the checkers on his face. I told him so and he seemed to take it to heart.
They stayed here a night, and was up by the dinosaur talking to the sniper fella with the mustache a couple of times.

Has anybody been acting strange lately?
I don't trust a man that doesn't have something strange going on about him, 'cause it means he's hiding it from you.
If a man's wearing his pants on his head or if he says his words backwards from time to time, you know it's all laid out there for you.
But if he's friendly to strangers and keeps his home spick-and-span, more often than not he's done something even his own ma couldn't forgive.
That...makes so much sense, holy crap.
<confused beeping>

What's been going on in town?
There's been things of a disturbing nature going on at the McBride Corral.
Seems every night one of their herd meets a most unnatural death, and always there's holes all over the body.

What else do you know about the deaths at the corral?
I come face to face with the chupacabra himself one night whilst I was investigating whether this gecko was hiding his treasure from me.
He was the meanest, ugliest chupacabra you could imagine. Had two heads, and fangs down to the ground.

Walked right past me having an argument with somebody.
But I only saw the one chupacabra, so I guess the other fella had to be invisible too. Only more invisible than the other one.

Is anything interesting happening in the area?
Folks'll tell you that they seen ghouls up near the rocket factory.
Sensationalist hooey, cooked up by superstitious yokels seeing phantoms of their own imagining.
Who do you think is actually at the factory?

I seen one of them disappear and reappear before my very eyes.

You gave me a lot to chew on, No-bark. Hat’s off to ya.
No, you gotta leave your hat on. Otherwise, the commie spies will transplant their red thoughts into yer head! Egads, I think I actually forgot mine! :tinfoil:

It’s getting dark out; not quite midnight yet, though, so let’s check on the rang-

GODDAMNIT!

Tape 1

...drove the raiders off.
No casualties.
In the meantime- Patrol's back.
They're late. I hope they got a good excuse.
What took-

Tape 2

This is a message to the NCR from the Legion.
We are coming for you.
Run and we will catch you.
Hide and we will find you.
No matter what you do you are all going to die.
We took one of the women alive.

Well, can’t let a good meal go to waste.

I went to the ranger station. Everyone there was wiped out.
<burps> Sorry.
What? What happened?
Members of Caesar's Legion ambushed them.
Those were good men at the station. Good men. This whole town was sleeping a lot easier because of them.
Now, who knows what we're in for? The Legion? Christ, we'd be better off with Raiders.
Well, thanks for telling me. I know that knowledge didn't come without risk.

Still got an hour to kill. Eh, I’ll just keep lookout.

1 hour later

<yawns> ED-E, you see anything?

AH!

No-bark was right! Kinda!

This is our introduction to Super Mutants, which were made from a Forced Evolutionary Virus (FEV). This particular mutant is a nightkin, a mutant that used a Stealth Boy for so long that they started to lose their minds in various ways.

Also they are blue.

(apologies for terrible quality)

Fortunately, despite Super Mutants being notoriously durable, this one goes down pretty easily.

Guess he didn’t know he was supposed to count bighorners, not brahmin.
<scolding beeping>
You’re right, ED-E. Mental illnesses are no laughing matter. Neither are outdated references.

Well I don't know how you done it, but I do know how I can thank you. Please take this, compliments of Alice and myself.
And help yourself to anything in that freezer over yonder. We got more steaks in there than we'd be able to eat in a year.

SCORE!

Sun enjoys her brahmin steak with some mac and cheese and some scotch. At 2AM. Yeah, she’ll hit up the ghouls in the next afternoon.

ApeHawk fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 2, 2018

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I never play a cannibal so only now I'm wondering if ghouls are even edible.
The glowing ones are probably murder on your digestive system.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

I never play a cannibal so only now I'm wondering if ghouls are even edible.
The glowing ones are probably murder on your digestive system.

There is a perk for eating dead feral ghouls and super mutants, but it's at level 12 and requires Cannibal unlocked

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

You learn something new everyday.
Are you going for the Meat of champions perk?

E: vvvvv cool! I never got to see that.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

A cannibal run wouldn't be complete without it. :unsmigghh: