Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Warmachine posted:

Those nukes are like 200 years old. Their guidance systems are probably corroded to gently caress, and I'll bet about half the fuel is inert at this point. It's a small wonder they even still LAUNCH.

It wouldn't surprise me if they were closer to 300 years old, honestly. Probably some stockpiled nukes in case of the red menace and all that. I'm more surprised most of these nukes and bombs that are of roughly 200-300 years of age didn't explode when everything went to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Chapter 81: Sun Vulture and the New Vegas

Epilogue

Thank you all for reading! I hope you all enjoyed this as much as I loved writing it! Don't have any plans for now besides archive-proofing this thread, but I'm definitely going to be taking a long break. Toodles!

ApeHawk fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 10, 2019

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Havent had a chance to read yet, but I wanted to thank you for not just teaching me umpteen new things about one of my favorite games, but doing so in a well written and entertaining way. Enjoy your well earned break, and should you pick up then pen again I know I'll be there.

Edit: it....never changes. Maw of the Mojave, yowza

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 2, 2019

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Good run! Glad to have gotten in as early as I did, and follow through the adventures of the kung-fu cannibal.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
Great job ApeHawk. I really enjoyed this LP, especially the extra little touches you added to Sun's personality.

Can't wait to see what you do next after you well deserved rest.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Fantastic LP. The extra bits in the epilogue were properly chilling.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Well then...The ending to the LP is suitably dark and depressing. RIP The Mohave

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Fantastic, fantastic LP. Well effin' done.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Fantastic job and a truly fitting conclusion. Well done!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
LP was a fun ride, satisfying to see it all finished off.

Though, I have to admit, some of the ending slides are kind of dickish, like the ones for Honest Hearts
"They were super peaceful, but then Sun told them 'hey, you should probably kill people who've invaded to murder you', and now they're all universally vicious, merciless killers :mad:"

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Thanks for the great LP!

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

Though, I have to admit, some of the ending slides are kind of dickish, like the ones for Honest Hearts
"They were super peaceful, but then Sun told them 'hey, you should probably kill people who've invaded to murder you', and now they're all universally vicious, merciless killers :mad:"

If you fight back but spare Salt upon Wounds then the Sorrows and Dead Horses don't become as bloodthirsty. There are different endings if the courier or Joshua kills Salt. Even in war how you treat a defeated enemy matters.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I wonder who Sun ate last?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Zeroisanumber posted:

I wonder who Sun ate last?

Whoever it was, they were the last living thing in the Mojave. She nuked all the escape routes.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Bravo to the ending, ApeHawk.

Lanius goes non-hostile to get aggro off of him from the other NPCs so they don't just punk him while he hides.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Thanks for the LP, your additional dialogue was always entertaining and now I've finally seen the end of New Vegas. I still have a save somewhere from right before Hoover Dam but I got distracted before finishing it.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Blaziken386 posted:

In fairness, a lot of Honest Hearts was intensely tone-deaf and, after playing it again recently, I can say that it still makes me cringe. A lot.

Didn't pop in to comment often (or... at all), but this was a hell of an LP, and the attention to detail's been great.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Thank you for the LP and extra commentary. You did a great job.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Great LP, awesome job. Thank you!

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

What a wild goddamn ride this has been. Sure was fun to come along on.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I don't buy that the Mojave is so screwed in an independent ending. There's a whole mini-quest about ensuring the water is used right for the crops, and considering the population has been somewhat reduced by Sun Vulture eating them the NCR and Legion armies being kicked out, I'm sure it's not too difficult to attend to the needs of the populace.

I like Vulture's own alliterative title, though.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

LashLightning posted:

I don't buy that the Mojave is so screwed in an independent ending. There's a whole mini-quest about ensuring the water is used right for the crops, and considering the population has been somewhat reduced by Sun Vulture eating them the NCR and Legion armies being kicked out, I'm sure it's not too difficult to attend to the needs of the populace.

I like Vulture's own alliterative title, though.

On the other hand, the main routes of trade for the Mojave have been hit with nukes and are thus no longer viable, New Canaan has been obliterated... the Mojave is pretty drat well cut off, so it has to be entirely self-sufficient for a drat long time.

On the bright side, most internal threats in the form of gangs, raiders and aggressive wildlife have been murdered and/or eaten. :v:

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Even the DLC epilogues make my eyes glaze over. I don't know any video game writer names, but if you guys say one dude wrote those and a different person wrote the main game, the first dude belongs in a toilet.

Happy trails, Sun.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Explosions posted:

Even the DLC epilogues make my eyes glaze over. I don't know any video game writer names, but if you guys say one dude wrote those and a different person wrote the main game, the first dude belongs in a toilet.

Happy trails, Sun.

Huh? The epilogues for Dead Money and Old World Blues are great. The Old World Blues one does go on for a bit but normally it’s not played at the same time as every other epilogue and you just went through getting all those sink upgrades before seeing it.

Thanks for the LP! Generally I do think of the independent ending as going better for Vegas but the big thing about the independent ending is it’s putting your character in charge and Sun is certainly not the best person for that.

I’m really happy that they put that ending option in, because it’s cool to be able to say “screw all you factions, I could do better” even though in the end you’re really putting Yes Man in charge. Plus it means the game can let you murder anyone without locking yourself out of winning the game, using one unkillable npc instead of dozens (thanks, Bethesda).

Qrr fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 3, 2019

Taberquol
Jun 16, 2012

Thanks for the LP!

I was always bummed by Veronica's ending.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Qrr posted:

Huh? The epilogues for Dead Money and Old World Blues are great.

Beat Dead Money again recently. The ending slides were pretty hamstrung by spending way too much time foreshadowing Lonesome Road, IMO, and not nearly enough time on the characters themselves. It was kinda neat, on first play, but on the second, it was like '...but what if you spent all that airtime on their actual narrative instead of 'mine?''

Taberquol posted:

Thanks for the LP!

I was always bummed by Veronica's ending.

Yeah, no matter what route she takes, 'the ends are bad' is basically her character in a nutshell.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Fantastic LP, well done!

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

:toot:

Hurray!

geekworthy
Nov 4, 2012
Thank you!

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Thank you all for the kind words and praises! I'm really glad you enjoyed Sun's saga and I hope you all (re)play this amazing game and see more endings than you've seen before!

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Thank you for the fantastic LP! Would you be open to sharing your thoughts on the making of it now that it's complete, like a post mortem? Your weaving of the story already present in Fallout with Sun's character was really well done and I'd love to hear your thought process on that.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You know, I realize now that I've gotten all the endings except the Yes Man ending, which according to the cheevo stats is the player favorite. It does seem meaningfully different from House's ending even if you're just stealing his army and schemes.

And thank you for showing off the game in its ridiculous entirety. It's been a pleasure to follow!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ApeHawk posted:

Thank you all for the kind words and praises! I'm really glad you enjoyed Sun's saga and I hope you all (re)play this amazing game and see more endings than you've seen before!

I started reading back in October and it did successfully convince me to start a new Wildcard run. Haven't finished it yet, but I have deeply enjoyed this. I need to go through and actually read the earlier parts of the LP. Though, when I played OWB I did go back and see what Sun's take on it all was.

I ended up shooting them all in the face, for what it is worth. The less of the Old World that infects the new the better.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Excellent job, thanks for bringing us along for the ride.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Ooh, never thought I'd ever see Japanese words again in the LP. Let's see what it translates to...

Time for the last hibernation of two headed bears

Brilliant. Simply brilliant.

Thanks for the amazing ride, I enjoyed every minute of it! :allears:

Going to do the same thing for Fallout 4? :allears:

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007
Great LP! That was an impressive amount of effort, take a well deserved break!

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Thank you for the fantastic LP! Would you be open to sharing your thoughts on the making of it now that it's complete, like a post mortem? Your weaving of the story already present in Fallout with Sun's character was really well done and I'd love to hear your thought process on that.

Certainly.

Sun is someone who, if summarized in a sentence, is a better soldier than leader. She is extremely competent, highly skilled, smart, and even intellectual to a point... but she's also impulsive, naive, and follows the latest epiphany she comes across. A loner who shrouds herself in sarcasm, which is why she befriended Veronica so suddenly. As a courier, however, once she was given an inch, she takes the mile. As soon as she got a chance at power, she took it, but never really had a long-term plan, thanks to a life of short gigs and drop-offs. The alcohol, drugs, and even cannibalism were signs of how she was going to affect the Mojave if it was under her thumb. Those are all short-term solutions to long-term problems, but are never meant to be abused for years down the road. Sun wants to do what she thinks is right, but she paved every road and sanctuary with good intentions, which would eventually lead to turning New Vegas into a dried-up oasis (the supply lines, the Sharecroppers Farm when she chose to save that small family instead of ensuring the crops would be rad-free, choosing not to destroy the Vault 22 research, etc.)

Not to say she didn't make some good choices, nor did she not make selfish ones, but Sun DID have opportunities to give the Mojave a chance to recover after the independence of New Vegas; she just didn't have the experience to see that far ahead intelligently. Hell, the first time she thinks she made a good call in her favor, it ended up not going how she thought and an entire town got slaughtered for it. Just to give an example.

A good number of people are like Sun. Those who are far superior at completely necessary tasks and have vast amounts of knowledge in several subjects... but don't have that much foresight as opposed to others. Whereas the people who DO... well, let's just say that I wouldn't really trust Mr. House to walk a mile in Sun's shoes.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Honestly, looking at Sun's...incompetence at keeping the Mohave alive...looking at the candidates that could take over...

Legion: No. The legion, while disciplined, would have utterly WRECKED everything and everyone in the Mohave. And that's not getting into Caesar's two-faced policies on tech and drugs.

House: Idealistic as hell...but, honestly, he would probably keep order...though New vegas would be the only thing to be properly protected if anything, provided the Omertas and the like are made to fall in line with his policies. but, as we saw, he was a desiccated husk when we met him face to face. He wouldn't have likely lived for much longer, even if he was kept in his hermetically sealed casket. That would have brought up a power vacuum that, at the end of the day...would have lead to roughly the same ending as with Sun.

NCR: They are too focused on a single thing...keeping the old world alive. It was obvious the higher ups for the most part, Kimbal being the biggest example of it, were one of several things: Incompetent, lazy, courrupt, etc. They would have kept the Mohave alive, yes, but all things considered, it wouldn't have been more than a few years before they set their sights on more and more land. More and more territory they couldn't control, let alone keep. It wouldn't have been long before something like the Legion would have risen up and taken over. It was the worst (and having glimmers of the best) of the Old World. But...it wouldn't last. It would have amounted to just...terrible, horrible mismanagement of everything and make their capturing of the Mohave worth little more than a fleeting moment of stability.

Going independent is honestly the best way to go in New Vegas, IMO. But that requires a LOT of forward thinking, a LOT of effort to make it as stable as possible...and most importantly, someone who can lead. Sadly, Sun failed and the Mohave paid for her incompetence.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
House was 260 years old and prior to showing up 7 years before the game start, he spent over a century, fully conscious, locked in the Lucky 38 and trying to get it functional enough to let him communicate with the outside world.

People have already pointed out how he's unrealistically competent and doesn't suffer a single setback in the game outside of being betrayed by Benny and possibly the Courier, but I think the bigger issue is his sanity. He basically has no faults outside of his massive ego and whatever ideological differences you might have with his agenda for being the dictator of a technocratic Mojave.

The NCR wears its faults on its sleeve, and the Legion makes no bones about being terrible and will definitely collapse when Caesar bites it even if it manages to live that long, but House could potentially live forever and hasn't wavered despite spending most of his conscious life locked in a box with no one but himself for company.

He's the most capable and sane character in the Fallout setting, and there's not really any case to be made against him outside of the whole autocracy deal and his ruthless crushing of those who oppose him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

House was 260 years old and prior to showing up 7 years before the game start, he spent over a century, fully conscious, locked in the Lucky 38 and trying to get it functional enough to let him communicate with the outside world.

People have already pointed out how he's unrealistically competent and doesn't suffer a single setback in the game outside of being betrayed by Benny and possibly the Courier, but I think the bigger issue is his sanity. He basically has no faults outside of his massive ego and whatever ideological differences you might have with his agenda for being the dictator of a technocratic Mojave.

The NCR wears its faults on its sleeve, and the Legion makes no bones about being terrible and will definitely collapse when Caesar bites it even if it manages to live that long, but House could potentially live forever and hasn't wavered despite spending most of his conscious life locked in a box with no one but himself for company.

He's the most capable and sane character in the Fallout setting, and there's not really any case to be made against him outside of the whole autocracy deal and his ruthless crushing of those who oppose him.

House falls to the same philosophical arguments that the 'benevolent dictator' argument falls to. He could potentially live forever, but he is still mortal. And his sanity was in question long before you met him (read how he got the personality matrix for the girl securitron). House is Howard Hughes. The problem is that while he may have solved the problem of ruling and protecting Vegas in a technical sense, he has no people skills besides the kind of diplomacy system you'd find in a Civilization game.

Someone said it before, but he's the libertarian technochud who thinks everything can be reduced to an algorithm, and that swaying human nature is as simple as putting the right tokens in a vending machine. Maybe he gets 10-15 years of relative stability out of the deal, but he isn't invincible. All it took was his assistant having second thoughts/a better offer/more ambition for him to get merked. And that isn't including the social unrest that was already brewing. The Omertas and Freeside already resented House for various reasons. How long until the population starts becoming more radicalized against him? And when they do, how does he keep order? Mass executions? Bribery? In game, his law and order seems to amount to "Securitrons kill anyone who stands against me." And yeah, they're good at it, but so were a lot of dictators before them.

His massive ego IS the problem. In the end, that is what will kill him--if not by the Courier's hand, then by someone else's that it has blinded him to.