Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
I'm quite liking this so far. I wouldn't have expected F:NV to translate so well to an SSLP, but you seem to be making it work; I look forward to seeing where this goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

I usually let him live. My preferred method of killing in this game is large bullets delivered directly to the head at high speed from great distances; I try not to start fights up close.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

ApeHawk posted:

Happy Mother's Day! Now enjoy an update about book-cleaning, dish-dismantling, and toaster-worshipping!

Chapter 28: Sun Vulture and the Cull of Personality

Wait, how do we know that this is a portrait of Mr. House?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Anticheese posted:

Is that better or worse than being able to create every part of a gun, but never assemble a new one because your pile of parts lack the platonic essence of gunliness? (Fallout 4)

Homeogathic construction. Honestly guns in this game seem to need serious repair more often than I’d expect them to...

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

The parallels between the United States and the New California Republic are also far clearer than the parallels between the USSR and Caesar's Legion.

The Soviet Union certainly wasn't capitalist, but fundamentally it was based on Enlightenment principles and came out of the same post-Renaissance European intellectual tradition that spawned the United States. Both were nations of settled, agricultural peoples, both had Christian backgrounds (even if one lacked an established religion and the other was officially atheist), and in general I think it is fair to say that there were far more similarities than differences between the two. The USSR's economic system ostensibly emerged as a criticism to that ostensibly followed by the USA; Marx was, after all, one of the earliest and most influential economists.

Caesar's Legion is a far, far more reactionary society; it's not Enlightenment, it's Bronze Age. The trappings are Roman, of course, but they're only skin deep; there's none of the superb Roman achievements in organization and logistics, law and legalism, construction and engineering, language and education... in practice it feels more like, and really is, a horde of nomadic barbarians following a single Great Man than a settled, agricultural nation. Sticking to the Russia theme, I'd say they're more the heirs of the Golden Horde than they are of Muscovy.

It's hard to see the modern parallels, as the last time a nomadic people seriously threatened western society was probably the 13th century. My hot take is that, with some localized and temporary exceptions, it's been all downhill for the nomadic lifestyle since 1259 at the latest.