Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I'm super into this LP because in an ideal world, I'd have done it myself. However, I don't have a PS3, nor a way to record it, nor am I doing much LPing anymore.

But ever since I saw the first "lol at this mess" people bumble their way through the stages, I had the burning desire to play this legend of badness for myself because I so adore rear end-games, and I always thought "come on man, this one is for sure on you". And yup, often, it is. Your analysis is spot-on, Sonic 06 is really loving bad, but someone, at some point, designed parts of some levels, and those parts almost work, and when they come through, it is actually fun. I personally consider most games like a puzzle presented by the designers - almost all games are designed to be winnable, and there is most of the time one or two "intended" ways, and I like finding those intended ways. Sometimes in this game, the intended ways plain don't work, but I imagine that every stage at least was played through by one person once at the very least, and this one time they said "okay, this works fine I guess, let's test the next, shipping is tomorrow", and I like finding this one path that does, indeed, work every time.

Sadly, my friend's PS3 where I was playing the game on died at some point and he never got it fixed (bought a PS4 instead), and I can't be arsed to buy a used one myself JUST to play this garbage fire which I somehow adore a little too unironically, but I got a good ways in and yes, YES it's fun to play sometimes, God drat it, and more often than people might think. I'd not S-Rank it once I eventually maybe get a computer that can run a PS3 emulator, but I might consider finding all the silver medals.

Individual video comments!
- ONE: The stage has obviously been worked on the most because it's the first and it shows the potential quite well. Some semi-hidden optional and faster side paths, secrets and rewards tucked away, it's worth replaying and exploring. However! I personally think the Tails sections are super pointless because playing them "normally" is painfully tedious because his attack sucks dicks (in an unfun way!), and you should just skip the fighting anyway, so you might as well skip it all (as shown), so...you might as well not play them. Their "design" is there, but inconsequential.
Also, the mach speed section is maybe the most working one but it's still super super bad and will kill you at a moment's notice. When you veered off into these walls and slid off juuust right to continue running, I thought that you'd get hit every time. And you might as well have been, the physics are so so bad.
- EXT: I fully agree with your assessment of Shadow's combat. It's awkward and hilarious but to me, kicking things in the face with just one button until they die and zipping between weak mooks is simply satisfying on a very basic level. The gliding section is rear end, though. I never got around to Shadow's later levels so I cannot comment on Omega, he looks super unfun tbh.
- TWO: a weirdly fun level considering its super awful on paper gimmick. As your main movement abilities still work, you can largely ignore Elise's love bubble, and the level design allows you to just fly over everything as shown. I'm a sucker for homing to and fro with springs and boosts and poo poo, it's...good?
- THREE: Generally I think this game's soundtrack is hilariously awful, from the infuriatingly catchy for how disgustingly simple it is hook from His World to the absurd banjo notes for the results screen, but I genuinely enjoy the synthy poo poo the snowboard section pulls. Which is the only good thing I'll ever say about it, that final jump is the worst thing in the universe*. The small on-foot part for Sonic is nice if you don't lose your speed, it feels like a game. The Tails section, again, is completely broken by him being able to fly (how is this a surprise to the designers?) and again might as well not exist. I think one of the laser wall switches is completely broken or something, I tried playing it legit once and gave up at some point of not being able to progress no matter what unless I chose your path of just flying over everything.
The final section is baffling unless you realize that they obviously designed it for Shadow first (with driving around the big snowfields and up broad ramps), then hastily put some laser walls and grindrails some places to try and completely fail to guide Sonic along a path that leads a bit around the perimeter of the wide half-circle-ish thing the map forms. Obviously it is maybe well intentioned but one of the instances in this game where it's probably the biggest challenge to try and figure out what they were even going for; truly a remarkable puzzle posted by the designers, but in practice, it's far, far better to just skip the lot with one of the game's funner glitches (the ones that always work reliably and only in your advantage).

*that's not true, there's a lot of jumps in Sonic 06 that are of also quite galactic awfulness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Simply Simon posted:

I'm super into this LP because in an ideal world, I'd have done it myself. However, I don't have a PS3, nor a way to record it, nor am I doing much LPing anymore.

But ever since I saw the first "lol at this mess" people bumble their way through the stages, I had the burning desire to play this legend of badness for myself because I so adore rear end-games, and I always thought "come on man, this one is for sure on you". And yup, often, it is. Your analysis is spot-on, Sonic 06 is really loving bad, but someone, at some point, designed parts of some levels, and those parts almost work, and when they come through, it is actually fun. I personally consider most games like a puzzle presented by the designers - almost all games are designed to be winnable, and there is most of the time one or two "intended" ways, and I like finding those intended ways. Sometimes in this game, the intended ways plain don't work, but I imagine that every stage at least was played through by one person once at the very least, and this one time they said "okay, this works fine I guess, let's test the next, shipping is tomorrow", and I like finding this one path that does, indeed, work every time.

Sadly, my friend's PS3 where I was playing the game on died at some point and he never got it fixed (bought a PS4 instead), and I can't be arsed to buy a used one myself JUST to play this garbage fire which I somehow adore a little too unironically, but I got a good ways in and yes, YES it's fun to play sometimes, God drat it, and more often than people might think. I'd not S-Rank it once I eventually maybe get a computer that can run a PS3 emulator, but I might consider finding all the silver medals.

- ONE: The stage has obviously been worked on the most because it's the first and it shows the potential quite well. Some semi-hidden optional and faster side paths, secrets and rewards tucked away, it's worth replaying and exploring. However! I personally think the Tails sections are super pointless because playing them "normally" is painfully tedious because his attack sucks dicks (in an unfun way!), and you should just skip the fighting anyway, so you might as well skip it all (as shown), so...you might as well not play them. Their "design" is there, but inconsequential.
Also, the mach speed section is maybe the most working one but it's still super super bad and will kill you at a moment's notice. When you veered off into these walls and slid off juuust right to continue running, I thought that you'd get hit every time. And you might as well have been, the physics are so so bad.
- EXT: I fully agree with your assessment of Shadow's combat. It's awkward and hilarious but to me, kicking things in the face with just one button until they die and zipping between weak mooks is simply satisfying on a very basic level. The gliding section is rear end, though. I never got around to Shadow's later levels so I cannot comment on Omega, he looks super unfun tbh.
- TWO: a weirdly fun level considering its super awful on paper gimmick. As your main movement abilities still work, you can largely ignore Elise's love bubble, and the level design allows you to just fly over everything as shown. I'm a sucker for homing to and fro with springs and boosts and poo poo, it's...good?
- THREE: Generally I think this game's soundtrack is hilariously awful, from the infuriatingly catchy for how disgustingly simple it is hook from His World to the absurd banjo notes for the results screen, but I genuinely enjoy the synthy poo poo the snowboard section pulls. Which is the only good thing I'll ever say about it, that final jump is the worst thing in the universe*. The small on-foot part for Sonic is nice if you don't lose your speed, it feels like a game. The Tails section, again, is completely broken by him being able to fly (how is this a surprise to the designers?) and again might as well not exist. I think one of the laser wall switches is completely broken or something, I tried playing it legit once and gave up at some point of not being able to progress no matter what unless I chose your path of just flying over everything.
The final section is baffling unless you realize that they obviously designed it for Shadow first (with driving around the big snowfields and up broad ramps), then hastily put some laser walls and grindrails some places to try and completely fail to guide Sonic along a path that leads a bit around the perimeter of the wide half-circle-ish thing the map forms. Obviously it is maybe well intentioned but one of the instances in this game where it's probably the biggest challenge to try and figure out what they were even going for; truly a remarkable puzzle posted by the designers, but in practice, it's far, far better to just skip the lot with one of the game's funner glitches (the ones that always work reliably and only in your advantage).

*that's not true, there's a lot of jumps in Sonic 06 that are of also quite galactic awfulness.

Same

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Simply Simon posted:

The snowboarding jump is the only jump I can think of where there's no specific key to victory

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The second Eggstra video

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I think it's commonly agreed that the weakspot on the butt is so that Silver can attack this boss, since he fights it too and can't attack in the manner Sonic or Shadow do. Except they use the same boss for all three characters and oops turns out Sonic has an ability that can allow him to hop up and attack the butt too.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I think it's commonly agreed that the weakspot on the butt is so that Silver can attack this boss, since he fights it too and can't attack in the manner Sonic or Shadow do. Except they use the same boss for all three characters and oops turns out Sonic has an ability that can allow him to hop up and attack the butt too.

I'm not S-Ranking Sonic 2006 because I am a "commonly agreer"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I hate how the boss fights end in this game, the machine barely touched the ground, a few explosion textures showed up and then it jump cuts to the score screen.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Kurieg posted:

I hate how the boss fights end in this game, the machine barely touched the ground, a few explosion textures showed up and then it jump cuts to the score screen.

They could certainly have more flair

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

GamesAreSupernice posted:

They could certainly have more flair

It just reminded me of the Egg Viper from SA1 that pulled a similar "Suicide at the enemy post combat" trick, which had a fairly involved detonation sequence that was visible in the background of the victory screen.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Kurieg posted:

It just reminded me of the Egg Viper from SA1 that pulled a similar "Suicide at the enemy post combat" trick, which had a fairly involved detonation sequence that was visible in the background of the victory screen.
Egg Viper could also actually kill you with this and it really loving hurts. Source: my recent playthrough of Sonic Adventure.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I think you can get damaged by the Egg-Genesis explosion but all it will do is knock your rings out of you (or kill you if you don't have any).

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Has anyone ever been hit by the Egg-Genesis suicide attack, though?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Oh, I didn't mean it's completely impossible due to a glitch or so (you never know with this game), but that it's highly unlikely because the solution is "run in a circle in a wide-open field". Egg Viper is genuinely tricky to avoid the suicide attack of, and it can kill you either directly or because you dodge wrong, seeing as you're on a few precarious platforms.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
I'm fairly certain that the Egg Genesis crashing into you can't actually kill you because the end-the-stage trigger happens before the check-if-dead trigger.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm seeing online that it might count as a crush death, but I don't actually have a copy of 2k6 to try myself.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

This seems like a good opportunity to keep mentioning how sweet the Egg Viper fight was, anyway

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how it gives you the same giant emergency evac jump even when you hit it on the butt.

Does it not float low enough for that the first couple times, do the lasers get in the way?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Glazius posted:

Does it not float low enough for that the first couple times, do the lasers get in the way?

It's just easier/safer to reach with a couple of the legs gone

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I think I have a contractual obligation to follow this. I'm always into LPs that take bad games and have more to say about them than "This game is bad." It's astounding how the game can actually look nice for a few seconds before falling right back into a complete mess.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I have S-Rank footage of the remaining levels, but I forgot which one comes next. I am too lazy to look it up. Please help me. Was it Crisis City? It's probably Crisis City.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Doesn't matter in the slightest :justpost:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Part this point I think Sonics story goes city, core, train, Jungle, valley, aquatic.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Kingdom Valley gives me PTSD sometimes.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I like the music, but the stage itself is terrible. Though I don't think the mach speed section is as bad as radical train's.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Kurieg posted:

I like the music, but the stage itself is terrible. Though I don't think the mach speed section is as bad as radical train's.

Kingdom Valley has the second-easiest Mach Speed section.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The first is crisis city' right? Other than the occasional bullshit car thrown by the tornado I don't think there are any "gotchas".

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Kurieg posted:

The first is crisis city' right? Other than the occasional bullshit car thrown by the tornado I don't think there are any "gotchas".

Crisis City is easy for normal play, but for S-Ranking it is by far the hardest, hands down.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Kingdom Valley has the second-easiest Mach Speed section.

As far as I remember in the Pokecapn and Crew LP it's also the one they almost complete first try, the only one at that.

It is legit very interesting that somewhere in 2006 there probably is a really good game, and what you've shown is really quite impressive.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Which level has the meteors that can kill you mid area transition? That's my favorite.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kurieg posted:

a majority of the stuff in Sonic 2006 could be accurately described as "Like Sonic Adventure 1 but more lame"

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Augus posted:

a majority of the stuff in Sonic 2006 could be accurately described as "Like Sonic Adventure 1 but more lame"

Unfortunately, yeah. It does also have many things to its own, though.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

aggressive physics

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
I don't think anyone's arguing that Sonic 1 is a fast game, somehow. Maybe in a couple of levels, but the lack of spindash and the mess that is Labyrinth Zone put a damper on that quickly. Sonic 2 and 3 & Knuckles are much better in that regard.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Epicmissingno posted:

I don't think anyone's arguing that Sonic 1 is a fast game, somehow. Maybe in a couple of levels, but the lack of spindash and the mess that is Labyrinth Zone put a damper on that quickly. Sonic 2 and 3 & Knuckles are much better in that regard.

thank you for having reasonable opinions on the subject

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The on-foot part of Crisis City is indeed one of the singular most fun segments of the entire game because it simply works rather well far more often than not, allows you a lot of freedom in where you want to go and has a bunch of shortcuts and skips you can do with well-placed homing attacks. However, I gotta say one thing: I got pretty good at finding all those shortcuts - I went for the Rainbow Ring at its beginning like you did, and I did, in fact, also get the Rainbow Ring (by luck) once which you never got, because I had to replay the beginning a bunch of times.

That's because I was playing the game with a buddy getting more and more drunk, and we went in one sitting up to Crisis City, and the final section especially is NOT nice to someone whose reflexes are impaired. For anyone who is watching this going "ah, this doesn't look so bad", it's not so bad as the LP wants to stress, but you have to loving earn the knowledge of how to make the game work in your favor through blood sweat and extra lives. For example, jumping over the pipe (chimney?) in the mach speed section? You cannot control your jump angle at all once you leave the ground, and Sonic jumps far at mach speed. If your initial jump is just slightly off, you'll go careening towards an abyss or a hurtie in gracious slow motion and there's nothing you can do about it. Any and all of the homing attacks in the beginning section, especially towards grind rails, can also fail at a moment's notice.

I'd be giving the game more poo poo about not quite working, but just yesterday I was bored and tried Sonic Adventure 2 because it's on my steam list through a package deal, and the final Sonic level? It's just as bad about letting you home in on rails. Hell, it's maybe even worse. The level would be great fun if it wasn't so insanely wonky. So maybe it's not just Sonic 2006's fault specifically, the homing attack might actually work MORE than in the Adventures, they just do more complicated stuff with it and then it often breaks down completely.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

you can take damage in that final part from shockingly small pieces of debris from the cars being thrown around

Simply Simon posted:

I'd be giving the game more poo poo about not quite working, but just yesterday I was bored and tried Sonic Adventure 2 because it's on my steam list through a package deal, and the final Sonic level? It's just as bad about letting you home in on rails. Hell, it's maybe even worse.
um, that's probably because the homing attack locking onto rails wasn't actually a thing in that game.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Augus posted:

you can take damage in that final part from shockingly small pieces of debris from the cars being thrown around

um, that's probably because the homing attack locking onto rails wasn't actually a thing in that game.

Also that level is loving amazing and a ton of fun.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Augus posted:

That probably explains the...disproportionate amount of trouble I had. Thing is, there's these...integral symbol shaped rails that take you up high ledges, and I found homing attacking towards them to be a good way to get Sonic up the ledge? Like if S is Sonic, the arrow the direction of the homing attack, and we want to get on top of the T: S -> _|T

Because that worked, I thought the homing attack would generally work. Let's turn it around again, then: because it barely works in Sonic 06 where it's definitely an existing mechanic, playing SA2 afterwards made me just think "it probably didn't work properly...again" instead of thinking "it probably doesn't work at all in this game".

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Augus posted:

Believe me, Mr. Augus, I am very very aware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

As for the rails in SA2, I very much remember having the same problem until I found out that mechanic didn't actually exist. After I did learn you were only supposed to land on them, it was much easier. I do think snapping to the rails via homing in Sonic 2006 is far more enjoyable though

• Locked thread