Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I love the music for the on-foot section of Crisis City.
I love the music for a lot of this game, actually. Shame it's got so many other problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Kurieg posted:

I love the music for the on-foot section of Crisis City.
I love the music for a lot of this game, actually. Shame it's got so many other problems.

Aquatic Base has some of my favorite music from anything

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
IIRC, the rate at which cars are thrown at you is determined by how fast you're moving. So the reason you're being pelted with cars is because you're mistakenly following the cues left by the level designers and light dashing through those rings
When you were talking about NEEDING rings, I can only assume you had several otherwise perfect runs that ended in B or A ranks in the last 15 seconds of the map :ohdear:

For real though, this level design in the on foot section reminds me the ideas in Green Hill Zone Act 1. Taking the regular ground path is nearly triple the amount of time and not nearly as fun as it is to take the aerial path through the level

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The Door Frame posted:

When you were talking about NEEDING rings, I can only assume you had several otherwise perfect runs that ended in B or A ranks in the last 15 seconds of the map :ohdear:

Yes

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Even when players are in full knowledge of the physics & controls everything about the camera & sonic's movements look so jerky that when you were doing homing attack chains and landing on awnings I was convinced you were about to careen out of control into every pit.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

rannum posted:

Even when players are in full knowledge of the physics & controls everything about the camera & sonic's movements look so jerky that when you were doing homing attack chains and landing on awnings I was convinced you were about to careen out of control into every pit.

You have to become one with the game

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

GamesAreSupernice posted:

You have to become one with the game

Thank you for your sacrifice

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Oh god they've gone all suicide cult on this.
:yikes:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

nah, i just like sonic 06

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I'm gonna hit you with a hot opinion right here: Marble Zone always was my favorite level in Sonic 1.

The reason for this is actually very easy to explain: to this day, I know of exactly one person who owned a Genesis when we were both kids, everyone else either didn't play videogames or had a SNES (I have never seen a real life NES). So the platformers I was used to were Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, and a bunch of actually pretty good (Aladdin, Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose!) to godawful (two Asterix games) licensed stuff. Playing Sonic at my friend's just confused me - why are we jumping over half the level? I literally cannot control this guy, is it normal that we're so fast? Why do these springs keep sending me everywhere, help?

Marble Zone has amazing music and exactly the gameplay pace I was used to. Jump precisely from platform to platform over lava, push some of them into lava, ride them while dodging obstacles - felt like Mario to me! That was firmly within my comfort zone, and I liked it. I never felt like the level was betraying what Sonic was about or anything, it was simply different than Green Hill Zone and I liked it more than that and far more than Labyrinth (which I think I never beat).

Honestly though, my one biggest problem with Sonic is completely insurmountable: it didn't have a save feature. Completely killed my interest to engage with it any further.

Upon revisiting it later (I got the Classic Collection on DS which I know are terrible ports but eh I never had much fondness for Sonic anyway, I just wanted to get a feel for them myself, finally), I still like Marble Zone. It's at least got a consistent slow pace. In almost every other classic Sonic game (yes, even Sonic 2 and 3) there's a part in every level where it punches the brakes hard and tells you to stop and deal with a slow-rear end annoying platforming segment, until you can finally have fun again zooming along. Unless you always stay on the super top route which I'm honestly simply not willing to devote a bunch of memorization attempts to.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

yeah, i could understand marble zone's slow platforming being welcoming if a kid weren't used to sonic's physics

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
I know the game is basically unfinished, but I'm amazed at the complete lack of animation on Knuckles' shock ground slam AoE. There's just no indication there at all! Omega's very similar in that regard, too, with some of his attacks having few or no visual clues as to what they actually do.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I prefer 3D Sonic to 2D Sonic. Which I know is heresy, but it's how I feel. There's a lot of smacking into things that were just off screen in 2D Sonic unless you curl into a ball at all times.

I don't hate Marble Zone though. It's Labyrinth that sucks to high heaven.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Epicmissingno posted:

I know the game is basically unfinished, but I'm amazed at the complete lack of animation on Knuckles' shock ground slam AoE. There's just no indication there at all! Omega's very similar in that regard, too, with some of his attacks having few or no visual clues as to what they actually do.

i agree

SonicRulez posted:

I prefer 3D Sonic to 2D Sonic. Which I know is heresy, but it's how I feel. There's a lot of smacking into things that were just off screen in 2D Sonic unless you curl into a ball at all times.

I don't hate Marble Zone though. It's Labyrinth that sucks to high heaven.

you either play 2D sonic slowly and deliberately, or memorize everything

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you

you either play 2D sonic slowly and deliberately, or memorize everything

So just like how you play 3D Sonic games.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

TheFattestPat posted:

So just like how you play 3D Sonic games.

only some of them, actually

starting at unleashed and going up to Forces, memorization is key to enjoyment, because the games are more rhythmic than ever

but adventure, heroes, adventure 2, and sonic 06 can be played without memorization and you can still go fast

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I don't memorize poo poo because it's not the early 90s anymore, but I still absolutely adore Generations. You kind of have to keep an exact route in mind if you want all the Red Rings, but just zoomin' through you can absolutely go by reflexes alone and never ever have to stop. The best levels, the ones I replay just because they're fun, are all like that: Chemical Plant, City Escape, Crisis City, Rooftop Run...

If anyone cares btw I did beat the Hero Story of SA2 by not flinging myself off everything constantly because I assumed I could home to rails, however I gotta say that the rail mechanics are still super janky and Sonic 06 definitely has a better implementation. The rail transfer which is supposed to work by holding a direction and pushing the jump button works at most 50% of the time and if it fails, you are dead period. Or maybe you get super lucky and fall down for ages onto another rail, skipping half the level. Or you miss its super tiny hitbox and re-enter violently anyway. In the end, I succeeded by just not trying anything and staying on a rail all the time, which is super boring in a way because I really like exploring for secrets, but it's a complete death sentence in Final Rush. Too bad, really, everything else is quite fun.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Sonic the Hedgehog isn't a masterpiece.

I agree on that point. The original Genesis game is actually one of my least favorite games in the series.

I do really wish Sonic Team would be a little more consistent with the 3D games as far as quality goes. It's been a long time since they released anything as broken as Sonic 06--

*suddenly remembers Sonic Boom*

--it's been a little bit since they released anything as broken as Sonic '06, but every time they happen across a formula that works really well, (e.g. Generations) they seem to lose interest and drop it and flounder for a couple more games. I can't tell if it's Sega's typical stubborn pride or just not giving a poo poo about quality as long as someone's cranking out a Sonic game.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

people seem to forget that sega always whored out sonic, even back in the 2D days, releasing multiple games a year of varying quality

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I look forward to your next Let's Play. I'm not listening to this poo poo. - Let's play Sonic Eraser.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Kurieg posted:

I look forward to your next Let's Play. I'm not listening to this poo poo. - Let's play Sonic Eraser.

wait that game was real and not a recent romhack someone made in a couple hours? i'm having a crisis here

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

wait that game was real and not a recent romhack someone made in a couple hours? i'm having a crisis here

Yeah, it was made for Japan's equivalent of the Sega channel, which used early 90s dialup technology, so it's small size and resultant lovely quality were apparently the goal.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, it was made for Japan's equivalent of the Sega channel, which used early 90s dialup technology, so it's small size and resultant lovely quality were apparently the goal.

was it a freebie though? i could understand it being free

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

was it a freebie though? i could understand it being free

There was a monthly charge for the service, but I think downloading the games was free.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
There's these moments in these videos where everything comes together just right and it looks fun and well designed, then you swap to Knuckles and it all falls apart.

Marble Zone had awesome music, standing a cut above in a game of fantastic music. :colbert:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

pointlessone posted:

There's these moments in these videos where everything comes together just right and it looks fun and well designed, then you swap to Knuckles and it all falls apart.

Marble Zone had awesome music, standing a cut above in a game of fantastic music. :colbert:

When I try to recall Marble Zone's music, I can only hear music from Gain Ground.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Is this LP a hot-take or can hot-takes only be a few sentences long?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I think it's more like a cry for help.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I think it's more like a cry for help.

I thought that joke would be saved for the inevitable MindJack LP.

Bricoleur
Feb 1, 2012

"That's a huge chunk of level back there that I think most people unnecessarily play through because they were dumb enough to trust the game..."

That pretty much sums sup Sonic '06. The level design itself doesn't seem awful, nothing that could have been polished by another six months of game development. The worst thing that isn't glitchy seems to be the high hp enemies, which break the flow of feeling like a speedy badass. The story is still dumb, but there are lots of games that people still enjoy playing because the actual gameplay is fun even if the characters and plot are lousy.

It's sad to see Knuckles being so broken that it's dangerous to use his wall climb ability, because jumping off is so glitchy. I played a bunch of Sonic Adventure 2 and wall climbing and gliding around the whole map as Knuckles was a blast.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Bricoleur posted:

It's sad to see Knuckles being so broken that it's dangerous to use his wall climb ability, because jumping off is so glitchy. I played a bunch of Sonic Adventure 2 and wall climbing and gliding around the whole map as Knuckles was a blast.

Knuckles benefits from large, non-linear maps, which Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 understood. Unfortunately Sonic 06 uses him for rather half-hearted action segments.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I lied and recorded another boss, sorry.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I lied and recorded another boss, sorry.

IT'S NO USE!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Is it just me or is the video constantly freezing while the audio plays? 20 seconds in the audio was halfway through the fight but the video was still on the loading screen.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Is it just me or is the video constantly freezing while the audio plays? 20 seconds in the audio was halfway through the fight but the video was still on the loading screen.

Same for me! And it happened to me and someone else too, posts about it are here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3847085&pagenumber=2&perpage=40#post481760375

I think Youtube is hosed.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Some other videos appear to be functional...do you still have the raw? it may need another uploading.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I asked some folks off-forum and they suggested that Youtube might do some behind the screens post-processing after the video has already gone live. That would mean this problem only happens within the first hour of uploading a new video.

E: Although this video is still broken for me. Either something else is going on or it also causes trouble in my browser cache.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 1, 2018

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I asked some folks off-forum and they suggested that Youtube might do some behind the screens post-processing after the video has already gone live. That would mean this problem only happens within the first hour of uploading a new video.

E: Although this video is still broken for me. Either something else is going on or it also causes trouble in my browser cache.

It got stuck for me too, but all I had to do was move the timer back 30 seconds and it worked perfectly

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

The Door Frame posted:

It got stuck for me too, but all I had to do was move the timer back 30 seconds and it worked perfectly

There was a different video I found that had been uploaded for more than a week with freezing problems, and given that it worked when I tried viewing it on my phone I'm guessing something got broken in the desktop implementation of Youtube somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

It's youtube, some of my very old videos are having the same issue.

• Locked thread