Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, I don't doubt that there are a bunch of features in most of these modern Sonics that people hate, which do reward mastery and make you look stylin' when you pull them off.

It's just, until you actually get to that level of mastery, well.

What I'm saying is I'm really looking forward to seeing how the game was "supposed to" be played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
oh god the hovercraft wiping out in the victory screen

I can appreciate levels with score grading focusing more on enemy kills than time, but Sonic's never really had a good combat system. ...maybe in Heroes?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It feels almost insulting that you can skip what are supposed to be combat sections just that easily.

But with that grind rail after the spotlight, I guess you're supposed to.

Part of the problem with this game is that it's pretty bad about hinting to you how you actually can go fast.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how it gives you the same giant emergency evac jump even when you hit it on the butt.

Does it not float low enough for that the first couple times, do the lasers get in the way?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I had a look at last year's GDC presentation by the Breath of the Wild devs, and one of the things they mentioned was that they were using "liars' physics" - rather than trusting the physics engine to feed back into their gameplay, they were using it as a connector and to create "physics special effects" to give people the impression that the world worked through physics.

Which is more work on the dev end, obviously, but also prevents a stray screw from an intricately-modeled exploding train car wrecking your S-rank.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Nebrilos posted:

Do you have a link? That sounds interesting?

Yeah, here it is on the official GDC channel.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So is there a reason you haven't showed us a Silver level yet? Not really worth mastering?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I don't know what it is about that Mach Speed section, but suddenly I was overcome by the urge to live in harmony. Harmony of love.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I want to know what the heck they were thinking with Tails' "ring bombs". I think they even make the sound you make when you get hit, and your actual dropped rings get all mixed up with theirs.

I realize science sometimes has its duds, but, Tails, buddy, that one was all downside. What were you even thinking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

GamesAreSupernice posted:

i'm pretty sure squeenix changes stuff between each entry of FF just because they want to for creative purposes, i highly doubt consumer reception factors in much

aside from FF14

Yeah. Sonic was always playing for cool, and cool is not only a moving target, but distinguished by a deliberate departure from what are now uncool things.

• Locked thread