Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Nothing can stop him - he has the Passion - the Playable Passion :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I agree on the sense of speed in the 3D games feeling much bigger than the earlier ones, largely because in the later ones they could do interesting things with the tech that hadn't been thought of before - in Unleashed when I first left the soundtrack behind while boosting because I was actually moving faster than the speed of sound, that was a magical moment for me and what put me firmly in the "Liking Unleashed" camp

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Yeah, but most games have problems no matter how good they are - Okami on release had overly-long cutscenes potentially killing any replay value, Horizon Zero Dawn has somewhat wonky animations in the early game, Metal Gear has questionable treatment of women, like everyone groping Eva or the entire Beauty and the Beast Corps. The first 2 Witcher games had overly complex and unfriendly potion mechanics and of course Wind Waker slows down it's pace significantly during the second half with the Triforce Hunt.

Most games have a mechanic that could have been explored better but weren't, or a character that was obnoxious, or even a bad level or frustrating boss fight, it's just a matter of "Can you look past the flaws?"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Is it just me or is the video constantly freezing while the audio plays? 20 seconds in the audio was halfway through the fight but the video was still on the loading screen.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

I play a lot of games I think are completely terrible, but I usually have a lot of fun doing so, "dislike" therefore is definitely the wrong word.

Most recently I played all the way through Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness with my wife and we were laughing our asses off all the way through. The game can't even claim to have good level design in places, it's an utter trash fire from start to finish, but it was some of the most fun we had playing games together. A++, would suffer through again if blind because holy poo poo the places those animation glitches go!

AoD annoyed me because my copy was broken - I got to the Trials of the greek Gods, but on the second or third one it refused to load.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Maybe the thread should be renamed: We're not apologising for poo poo. :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I disagree strongly but there isn't much else I can say since it's a matter of preference and I said all I can in the video. I think it has great rhythm.

Just got tired of all the samey LPs.

I always like when games that should be bad have decent combat because it's often 90% of the gameplay. I've been playing the old Spiderwick Chronicles game and the combat in that one is fairly satisfying, I was expecting it to be terrible.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Let me try to beat it first :v: I have other projects in mind that have been on my personal list longer, just chilling out with this one.

Something neat with it is that it encourages you to actually use all the fairy powers, because you can only carry three at a time, and every new fairy of a type that you capture goes towards making that power stronger. There are 10 health fairys in the world, every 2 increases your max health and using the one you have heals you - every time you collect a particular fairy for the first time you need to sketch it with a mildly annoying minigame that I'm getting the hang of, but that fairy will then be able to just be recaptured after first use sans-minigame- you just need to go back to grab it again.

Also each character has their own style - the girl is a trained fencer so her attacks are more skillful and in her first fight she needs to reposte and disarm the villain's second in command to do damage to him. The main Twin, the adventurous one, gets a broom stick/baseball bat to break walls and just wail on enemies with, and the brainy Twin makes himself a gun that shoots goblin poison. They are all fun to play as and have their own sidequests too. It's fun. Most of the sidequests are totally ancilliary too, just building the world, like finding evidence of a phoenix and a cockatrice that have nothing to do with the story but it's cool that they're there. It's not important to the story, but it's important to the worldbuilding that they exist. My personal favourite one so far though is the game-spanning one where you find 13 items throughout the world to decorate a birdhouse that you got to replace the home of a Brownie after you accidentally destroy it. Each item gets placed as you find it so returning to the attic to check it out is nice. :3:

I found it for 50p and was very pleasantly surprised.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Mar 18, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I tried the first Yakuza on an emulator, but couldn't get past that loving rail shooter section. I was enjoying it until that terrible boss fight. Apparently it's just as bad in the remake as well.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I don't remember that section

When leaving the restaurant there is a large fight on the highway back, where your leaning out of a car and have to shoot ALL THE MEN, then a truck pulls up with a boss on top and you have to kill him too. It's garbage.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The controls are terrible and it takes too long. I died so many times there and got frustrated. May give it another go in the future, but not right now.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Kurui Reiten posted:

That part is easy, Kiryu has the ability to stop time and shove five hamburgers into his face to refill his health. Abuse that.

There is no inventory button. You have to do the whole thing on one health bar. I just tried it again.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Why? I'm not dissing you for enjoying it, I just can't understand why the franchise needed Grimdark the Goth-hog.

I guess I can see what they were going for - Shadow's entire thing is "It doesn't matter what others want you to do, your destiny is in your hands, no one elses."

There is a reason his main theme in the game is called "I am All of Me" - he isn't a soldier, or a science experiment, or a weapon. All he really is as far as he cares, is the late Maria's sort-of-brother (Maybe Half-Uncle? The creation of her grandfather anyway), everything else can go to hell. The military want him dead, Black Doom wants to control him, Sonic just wants to hang out, but none of that matters - all that matters is what Shadow chooses to do, and which literal path he takes in his life. Does he get vindictive and petty and go with Black Doom to get his revenge? That's an option he can take. Does he try to atone for the sins of Sonic Adventure 2? That's also something he can do, but it all comes down to what Shadow wants to do, no one else. He was made to be controlled, but he has taken control of his life back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Honestly there are a lot of infamous games that could have been saved by better control schemes, not just Sonic - Ace Lightning has interesting, distinctive level design, and if the controls weren't hot garbage it could have worked.

• Locked thread