Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I wondered what you'd been up to the last few weeks, but I wasn't expecting this. Yet I should have, because I think I remember you mentioning it in another thread a while back.

The game is fundamentally broken, but I really wanted to like it. I do enjoy aspects of it--hell, I'm a sucker for twisty temporal loop plot lines like this, so I even kind of like the story. There are a few places where it even feels playable, I dare say not bad, but they are far outstripped by everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

GamesAreSupernice posted:

it's definitely a bad game, but everyone already knows that, so i wanted to talk about its positives a bit instead

Yeah, I think that's definitely something worth talking about. All the aspects of a good game are buried in there under the glitches and sloppy controls someplace.

That first mach speed section might be the best one in the game, in so far as it actually mostly works, aside from that one ramp. I recall thinking it was actually kind of fun once you got the hang of it. The first Sonic stage in general was inoffensive at worst, really. It's very reminiscent of Sonic Adventure's first stage, which is probably what they were going for.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Magmar posted:

Combat in Sonic is best when it’s another movement technique to utilise.

Chaining homing attacks still seems like the best combat option, but I can't blame them for trying to branch out.

Homing attack chains are definitely the way to do combat fast for Sonic; they pull it off nicely in a few of the games, and the ones where it doesn't work so well are usually down to wonky targeting (here's looking at you, Sonic Adventure 2).

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sonic the Hedgehog isn't a masterpiece.

I agree on that point. The original Genesis game is actually one of my least favorite games in the series.

I do really wish Sonic Team would be a little more consistent with the 3D games as far as quality goes. It's been a long time since they released anything as broken as Sonic 06--

*suddenly remembers Sonic Boom*

--it's been a little bit since they released anything as broken as Sonic '06, but every time they happen across a formula that works really well, (e.g. Generations) they seem to lose interest and drop it and flounder for a couple more games. I can't tell if it's Sega's typical stubborn pride or just not giving a poo poo about quality as long as someone's cranking out a Sonic game.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
My memory of this section is very fuzzy. I think I had a lot more trouble as Sonic than I did as Shadow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, control sensitivity was the worst thing about Shadow the Hedgehog. It felt janky even by Sonic Adventure standards.

That said, I'm with GAS too--I dig that game's story.

• Locked thread