Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
You know, I've watched a dozen or so LP's of this game, and this is the first time I've ever seen that cave in the Mach Speed section. I always assumed that the turn onto that ramp was too tight to reliably reach it

You've definitely got my attention

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Glazius posted:

oh god the hovercraft wiping out in the victory screen

I can appreciate levels with score grading focusing more on enemy kills than time, but Sonic's never really had a good combat system. ...maybe in Heroes?

In the first part of the game, maybe, but enemies have way too much health by late game. Combat and Sonic seem pretty incompatible, since combat means that the player can't be going fast

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Watching all the speedruns that I have, the way you avoid taking damage from the snowball is glitching out the speed of the snowboard so you're moving at like 2.5x speed and it can't keep up with you. Every other playthrough gets hit at least once and sometimes misses the final jump

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

IIRC, the rate at which cars are thrown at you is determined by how fast you're moving. So the reason you're being pelted with cars is because you're mistakenly following the cues left by the level designers and light dashing through those rings
When you were talking about NEEDING rings, I can only assume you had several otherwise perfect runs that ended in B or A ranks in the last 15 seconds of the map :ohdear:

For real though, this level design in the on foot section reminds me the ideas in Green Hill Zone Act 1. Taking the regular ground path is nearly triple the amount of time and not nearly as fun as it is to take the aerial path through the level

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

I asked some folks off-forum and they suggested that Youtube might do some behind the screens post-processing after the video has already gone live. That would mean this problem only happens within the first hour of uploading a new video.

E: Although this video is still broken for me. Either something else is going on or it also causes trouble in my browser cache.

It got stuck for me too, but all I had to do was move the timer back 30 seconds and it worked perfectly

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Kurui Reiten posted:

LP cancelled forever.

LP moved to Vimeo

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

8 minutes for an S rank is insane. How long do they expect an average person to take in that level?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

GamesAreSupernice posted:

it takes normal people 15 or so minutes, yeah

I would normally take that as an indication that they've completely missed the ethos of Sonic as the "fast platformer" and should've started over, but they barely had time to pump out what we ended up with

It is kind of funny that their big showpiece level intended to sell the PC port plays like every complaint against 3D Sonic games for being linear games that railroad the player through samey, uninteractive set pieces

E: also, the eagles look terrible, even when compared to the rest of this terrible looking game

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

The 3D Sonics all have a tendency to continuously increase the length of stages as the game progresses. There are a bunch of reasons for that which I won't dive into-they're not all bad.

Where can I find details on what happened to the sonic 06 pc port?

Maybe I've played too much Sonic Heroes, but I'm of the opinion that 6 minutes for an S rank is near the limit for a good level. Maybe 7 if it has a good gimmick, like Final Rush or Sky Deck

I'm talking S rank times here, since that's the shortest time the game realistically expects you to complete the mission in. Some of my favorite levels ever in Sonic can take up to 10 minutes in normal play, but due to bumbling rather than the length of the level

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

i actually think that's a reasonable thing to do with cartoon characters to convey intense emotions, since that's what older cartoons were for to begin with: exaggeratin' stuff to display extreme versions of real ideas

See also: The Green Goblin's face literally being a Halloween mask

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Kurieg posted:

He had basically turned sonic canon into his own personal playground including creating a "real and true future" for sonic where he and sally get married and have kids.

Part of the whole thing that happened when Penders sued Sega and Archie was Penders magnanimously proclaiming that Archie could still use "his characters" if Sega acknowledged that his version of Sonic's future was correct and he had final say over all decisions regarding Sonic for the forseeable future.

That's what they get for hiring writers off of deviantart

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Aquatic Base.

Oh, yeah, level wise

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I stand by my statement that this game's combat is superior to the combat in other entries. Nothing is without flaws.

I would say that the E-102 Gamma sections were the best combat in any Sonic game, but that's kind of cheating :v:

But thinking about the grind of killing enemies in Heroes or the complete lack of effort it takes to kill them in Colors, 06's Sonic levels do kind of have a good middle ground. It goes too far in Shadow's, and especially Silver's, sections and turns back into Sonic Heroes bullshit

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Whut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

yeah sega can't wait until a game is finished for some goddamn reason

this was an issue even back in the 90s

The only series that works with Sega's weird development shenanigans is Yakuza. It gives those games a unique, janky charm that I unironically love

• Locked thread