Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So, you're playing this on the PS3 right?
Cause, uhh...

Yes they figured out a way how to make Silver's Dusty Desert even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I hate how the boss fights end in this game, the machine barely touched the ground, a few explosion textures showed up and then it jump cuts to the score screen.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

GamesAreSupernice posted:

They could certainly have more flair

It just reminded me of the Egg Viper from SA1 that pulled a similar "Suicide at the enemy post combat" trick, which had a fairly involved detonation sequence that was visible in the background of the victory screen.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I think you can get damaged by the Egg-Genesis explosion but all it will do is knock your rings out of you (or kill you if you don't have any).

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm seeing online that it might count as a crush death, but I don't actually have a copy of 2k6 to try myself.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Part this point I think Sonics story goes city, core, train, Jungle, valley, aquatic.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I like the music, but the stage itself is terrible. Though I don't think the mach speed section is as bad as radical train's.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The first is crisis city' right? Other than the occasional bullshit car thrown by the tornado I don't think there are any "gotchas".

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I love the music for the on-foot section of Crisis City.
I love the music for a lot of this game, actually. Shame it's got so many other problems.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I look forward to your next Let's Play. I'm not listening to this poo poo. - Let's play Sonic Eraser.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

wait that game was real and not a recent romhack someone made in a couple hours? i'm having a crisis here

Yeah, it was made for Japan's equivalent of the Sega channel, which used early 90s dialup technology, so it's small size and resultant lovely quality were apparently the goal.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

was it a freebie though? i could understand it being free

There was a monthly charge for the service, but I think downloading the games was free.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I lied and recorded another boss, sorry.

IT'S NO USE!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

This is the level I always shared with people to show them the potential Sonic 06 had to be something really special. Let's see how it holds up.

My favorite part of the mach speed section is that when shadow is doing it his vehicles take physics damage from riding over the railroad ties. And they can blow up. And shadow isn't fast enough to catch up with the train without the vehicles.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

judge reinhold posted:

It's cool seeing the game's stages out of context of the story. Sonic is just holding a human lady every so often without explanation.

Unfortunately this also means we miss the Trials of Soleana where we watch sonic declare his undying love to the human lady after game-overing a few hundred times in a game of hide and seek.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Bricoleur posted:

So this was the demo stage before the game came out. Were any notable changes made between the demo and the release of the game? Did the demo include the mach speed section?

Yes. No.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

The 3D Sonics all have a tendency to continuously increase the length of stages as the game progresses. There are a bunch of reasons for that which I won't dive into-they're not all bad.

(Cackles maniacally as the Eggmanland music swells in the background)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

pointlessone posted:

But really, that second section of Kingdom Valley just looked awful. One combat tower, one friend section, the giant cathedral jump setpiece...call it a day. 5 minutes MAX for rushing from point A to B, try not to go over 10 for casual runs. I just can't understand how they pushed their flagship title out the door in such a state without someone showing this to the people pushing the release forward.

I think the issue is that by the time they looked at the game and realized how dire things were, it was too late to fix it.

There is some good that came out of it, however. In the runup to sonic 2006's release someone at Sega finally decided to look at the sonic comic long enough to get Penders fired.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

pointlessone posted:

Penders was the lovely OC DO NOT STEAL Knuckles clone guy? I don't read the comic, but I remember something about the shitshow involving Penders getting canned.

Yup, that's him. Supposedtly the issue of the comic that the sega executive saw that resulted in him getting canned was from the arc where Sally was getting married to another man. So the cover was sonic openly weeping in the rain, clutching the wedding invite.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I love how his quills apparently turn into a fluid because he's just that sad.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

He had basically turned sonic canon into his own personal playground including creating a "real and true future" for sonic where he and sally get married and have kids.

Part of the whole thing that happened when Penders sued Sega and Archie was Penders magnanimously proclaiming that Archie could still use "his characters" if Sega acknowledged that his version of Sonic's future was correct and he had final say over all decisions regarding Sonic for the forseeable future.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

That's what they get for hiring writers off of deviantart

Penders pre-dates Deviantart.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Onmi posted:

I did a big stonking post in the Bad Runs thread in BSS covering Penders insanity.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3562522&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=26#post425884055

I only really scratched the surface though.

Ahh yes, this thread reminded me of this panel, which basically sums up Penders in a nutshell.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm sorry I spaced out where are we

Aquatic Base.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I find the way that knuckles climbs walls in this game somewhat disconcerting. He doesn't actually use his knuckles he just.. kinda.. cups his hands and slides around?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

they should've thought about that before Knuckles rapped about her being sexy

Or have Amy sing about a pussy so cute she had to shave it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXHw8o6UI9M

• Locked thread