Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I did a big stonking post in the Bad Runs thread in BSS covering Penders insanity.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3562522&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=26#post425884055

I only really scratched the surface though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Kurieg posted:

Ahh yes, this thread reminded me of this panel, which basically sums up Penders in a nutshell.

Someone brought up an analysis of the other writer at the time, Karl Bollers, final story arc 'Return to Angel Island' which could also have been summed up as "Why I think Ken Penders is a hack."

quote:

Ken started writing Knuckles stories very early into the book's history. He wrote all kinds of stuff and kept building the DEEP LORE of the echidnas and such over several years, mostly by ripping off other franchises and stories wholesale. The problem is that he's the kind of guy who always stalls and never delivers. So there were stories where Knuckles becomes Jesus (yes really), Knuckles deals with racism and Nazis (yes really), and family relationships and competence and power struggles and such were all discussed but never had any kind of interesting payoff. Meanwhile, Karl Bollers spends several years writing stories and trying his damnedest to accommodate Ken, making concessions and rewriting his scripts to fit Ken's constantly expanding lore. His thanks was Ken constantly loving him over. As a result, over time Karl kept adding in more and more overt jabs at Ken.

After a while, the team tried to shake things up by doing a timeskip. Ken decided that right after this he would do his OWN, *BETTER*, even FURTHER into the future timeskip story and it would be SO much cooler! So they struck a deal: Ken would get to write everyone's futures while Karl got to use Ken's cast in the present.

Karl's a smart guy, so he takes this chance to basically write a big loving critique of Ken's work while simultaneously finally giving a payoff for all the poo poo he had been building and never did anything with. The story is that since all these plot threads have been lingering for a literal year in-universe, everything has come to a head. Knuckles appeared to die and return to life, leading his people to believe him to be an actual messiah. The people who had been a (strangely also evil?) Jew allegory turned around and became nazis to their former oppressors. Knuckles' arrogant forebearers finally face consequences. It's just an entertaining story that simultaneously shits on Ken for being a hack.

Also, I'm going to correct a few misconceptions from my original post, as it stands apparently it was never Sega who themselves got more hands on in regards to the book. The actual story is WAY more hilarious and full of petty bullshit

So I think I mentioned in that big screed that the editor at the time was a man named Justin Gabrie, who was more focused on writing stuff under a pen name and talking about star wars in the editorial than actually... editing. Well, turns out that was a big No No. It got him fired, and his assistant Mike Pellerito became editor. And the changes happened under his watch. He essentially went "Bollers, finish up on Return to Angel Island, Ken you have a few issues to sort poo poo out." Meanwhile he was actually prepping Then-Intern Ian Flynn for the role of main writer.

Let's be 100% clear on something, Ken Penders was never 'fired', he quit. He quit because for the third or so time after being made 'main writer' he was sidelined and this time, for an intern! The cover for 155, beyond just being terrible isn't actually known to be the cause of any issues.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

TCat posted:

Also from my understanding the entirety of Ken even being a writer on the book to begin with was because he was trying to do his own magic native american comic that nobody wanted to publish, which most of the ideas from that got folded into the DEEPEST LORE about the Echidnas thus why they all the females have dumb elf names, and like he knew a guy at Archie who basically picked his rear end up out of pity. And then he like let his kids be in a story and basically have beeline access to fanart sections. Penders is a giant entitled shitlord because he was knee deep in Archie's nepotism policies, which is a problem they've had elsewhere but this is the relevant thing.

Further Ken's logic about characters that were "his" made no sense, because there's no reason characters created by someone else or following a poo poo rear end lazy stereotype that every story has done are under his control, like the Future thing makes no sense, and neither does his claim to characters from the Evil Mirror Universe.

That's correct, further Ken Penders insanity was trying to get in on a deal for a SatAM movie, his own pitch being... loving insanity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhsOiyvfIWs

And that he tried to get a movie done of his crazy "Lost ones" plot that he basically is now trying to make into a comic with his OCs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quGiiAeCyjo

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

The real answer is simple, the Dummy Ring Box was a test/placeholder item it was used to test the physics of ring spreading. They either didn't have the time or the care to replace it with an actual item to be thrown. As for why he can't tail spin? I dunno. Your guess is as good as mine for why they continuously gently caress up a character they got right in SA1.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Bricoleur posted:

Knuckles wasn't even in Unleashed, was he? I would say Sega was so terrified of filling Sonic games with other characters that they reeled it back too much, so that's why there's only Tails, a bit of Amy, and motherfucking Chip.

1. gently caress you Chip is my friend and we're going to enjoy all the food
2. Knuckles and Shadow were both planned for Unleashed, It's likely they were planned for Empire City which is why that stage doesn't seem to have a purpose in Unleashed. But the reasoning is pretty much as said because people can't level like... real critiques and instead just say whatever dumb thing comes to mind, we get Sega stripping almost everything out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

GamesAreSupernice posted:

the key difference here is that the original Sonic the Hedgehog did not give me a rank for doing goodest

No it gave you a high score. I'm also not a gigantic fan of the first Sonic the Hedgehog, but it was also The First Sonic The Hedgehog. Sonic 06 isn't just not the first game, plenty of other games had been done in its style. Which goes all the way back to Sega's desire to please too many masters and reinvent the wheel.

EDIT: And that isn't to say 'Don't innovate' I'm actually against the idea of Sonic having "A style" and only releasing games of that style. while fun, that's also boring, and more should be done to fine tune it. But it doesn't help that sonic fans are insatiable little bastards. Unleashed was complained about for the Werehog because "I would have just taken a game of the day stages." And Colours and Generations were that, but they were complained about for being too short... which was why they'd invented the Werehog to begin with.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Mar 22, 2018

• Locked thread